Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

adiantum

Do you ever look through the weird things selling on ebay?

This sign might be  ideal to put on my front  door until Ive had my morning coffee

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.3497948ae1fbd8fa8f28560efda80133.jpg

don1942

I buy my Guardian 3 sensors on e-Bay. 50% less than the cash price at Medtronic.

adiantum

I'm having issues with my cars security.

Most of the time it works just fine but once in a while it  doesnt lock when I press the remote control key.

I usually just hear a click when I press the remote but  today it refused to lock

The horn beeps & warning type lights flash on the dash but the doors are still free to open.

I dont know what to do with it.

OneEye
13 hours ago, adiantum said:

Most of the time it works just fine but once in a while it  doesnt lock when I press the remote control key.

I usually just hear a click when I press the remote but  today it refused to lock

The horn beeps & warning type lights flash on the dash but the doors are still free to open.

Computerized cars...I hate 'em. More than likely it's some type of sensor(s) that tells the car's computer that all the doors are shut. The CPU cycles through when the remote is pressed until it gets to the doors...then it's what's called, in computer language, an If...Then...Else command. If the doors are closed...Then...lock the doors...Else do not lock the doors. All of these computer systems have an error code for most things. In order to find out if that's true with yours...you'll have to go to a mechanic that has a device that plugs into your car to read those.

The first "sensor" that will probably go first is the driver door. Try closing the door harder...then give it a good kick! :)

adiantum

I didnt kick it in the right place & I might  try cussing it next time I go out.

Hammer
On 4/9/2019 at 6:37 AM, adiantum said:

Lee, what happens when you insert the key into the door lock and try to lock the door manually?

adiantum

The key wont turn at all, but thanks for thinking of me.

Today I think I exhibited my uniqueness to many strangers.. now I'm sure they will think I'm nuts

I drove to the dogs park & opened & closed all doors, boot & bonnet , banging each shut each time.

Pressed the remote & that had the lights flash & the horn honk.. Pffft. it was worth a try.

The good part is that the ignition wont start unless I press the remote so a thief can get in the car but cant drive away.

I considered making a " quarantine " sign for the dashboard hoping that would keep people away from the car.

adiantum

Ran, I thought you had it then. I grabbed the new keys thats only been used twice & ran out to the car still in PJ's

Damn I was hopeful ..but soon  disappointed 

OneEye

Year, Make, Model...and I'll ask the techs at the motorcycle tech forum I run for their opinions.

OneEye

So...here's the consensus of opinions from my techs:

That everything else works except the door locks when you execute the fob...could mean one of two things. One, the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) in your 25-year-old car is going south...or, two, the wiring between the ECU and the door locks is compromised. Depending on your year model and make there can be several ECU's and the specific one that handles this execution may have gone south.

The bad news is the cost of ferreting this out by your local mechanic (diagnostic costs). Added to that cost...ECU repairs can be very expensive. The part alone can cost between $1,000 and $3,000 USD, depending on the make and model of your vehicle. Fortunately, an ECU can be repaired or reprogrammed in many cases - thus preventing the need to actually replace the ECU. The "good news" is...it's only door locks at the moment.

My least expensive suggestion is two-fold. One, don't leave anything worth anything in your car...and two, if you have no other choice than to leave something worth something in your car...then get yourself a dog that eats people and leave it in the car as security. No thief ever opens a car door that has an ugly, barking dog at its window! :)

adiantum

The car didnt cost the amount you estimated  So,.......Would this work or would they steal my guard dog?

109389156_BobtheFarmer.thumb.png.ccf74d0943d7b5af6cb308c8df838dc5.png

adiantum

@OneEye , please thank everyone for their thoughts & opinions on this.

It couldve been a costly issue for me as I was going to book it into the mechanics to deal with it.

Phewww .. that couldve been nasty.

6 hours ago, OneEye said:

So...here's the consensus of opinions from my techs:

OneEye
29 minutes ago, adiantum said:

@OneEye , please thank everyone for their thoughts & opinions on this.

It couldve been a costly issue for me as I was going to book it into the mechanics to deal with it.

Phewww .. that couldve been nasty.

It's the weekend...most of my crew are out ridin'. Monday may bring more opinions...we'll see.

Hammer

Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy a car without all of this electronic garbage on it?  I hate the remote entry stuff, so much so that I took the batteries out of the remotes and just use the key to unlock the doors.  I mean, do we really need a push button start?....remote entry locks?....a rear view backup camera?....Wi-Fi that links up with your cell phone?....a touch screen that handles most everything in the car that requires you to turn your attention away from the road to see what buttons you need to push to adjust something?  Just think how much cheaper cars would be if you could eliminate all of that useless stuff...not to mention, how much cheaper it would be to maintain the car, since you wouldn't have all of that expensive stuff to repair when it broke down?  All I ever want in a car are the basics...the body of the car with the seats, windows and suspension, four tires, an engine, a transmission, a heater and an air conditioner.  I don't need anything else.  Heck, my VW Jetta is 7 years old, and I have no idea if the radio works, since I have never used it.  The same goes for my Dodge Durango.  I don't even know how to turn the radio on, since you need to use the touchscreen to do so.  Can you imagine how expensive it would be if the touchscreen broke?...I mean, it controls everything, so if it broke, I might not be able to drive the vehicle.

OneEye

Question and a comment from my techs:

Question from Softail Joe: Does this happen to just the driver's door...or to all the doors at once? If it's just the driver's door...good chance it's a gummed-up door-lock solenoid or the electrical signal coming from the dash has been compromised.

Comment: Pete Down Under says that since that car is an early computerized type...you might try removing the positive battery cable at the battery post for a few hours, let any residual charge in the system bleed off...then replace the cable and see if a system reboot takes care of this.

adiantum

Thanks to Softail Joe... It happens to all doors at once but you could be onto something there.

One day the front sea  passengers door wouldnt open. I didnt pursue it as thats how I treat difficult issues & it worked the following day.

Thanks Pete Down Under, I'll give that a try & get back to you.

Thanks OneEye, sometimes this forum is like a handbook to living and  I appreciate the support you give .

OneEye
On 4/8/2019 at 4:28 AM, adiantum said:

This sign might be  ideal to put on my front  door until Ive had my morning coffee

Saw this on eBay a few tears back so I bought it. $14.89 - Free Shipping.

warrant.jpg

adiantum

Your sign has a clearer message then mine.. I paid  $10 for this and it doesnt deter nosy neighbours.

WARNING SECURITY SIGN NO Entry Authorized Personal Only 200x300mm Quality Metal

A woman from the next street who just happens to be known as the gossip queen, hadnt seen me around lately so told her husband to visit me.
I wasnt home, the car wasnt in the driveway. The pedestrian gate was locked. A temporary access point gets barricaded  & that sign is  fixed on a steel gate.
This man said he saw the sign but didnt think it referred to him. Where it gets that idea from beats me, they are not my friends.

The local sexual pervert has died thankfully but I still have thieves close by so have to have a decent deterrent system.
Dogs & birds activate cameras & alarms so I depended upon that sign.

adiantum

I dont get it but am not complaining... the car security is working today.

The doors actually locked. 

The only thing different is that I had to use the wipers when coming home in the rain.

I doubt that wouldve fixed the problem.

OneEye

Lemme ask you this. Can you lock the door manually, then shut the door and then unlock it with a key? The reason I ask this is because you might lock the doors with the fob...and when you come back and try and unlock the doors...you may find yourself locked out.