Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

Hammer
2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Couple photos from today's ride.

@Hammer - Today was the day for the annual field day for the Hilo Amateur Radio Club...

20190623_094047.thumb.jpg.700de255d5e8859dbc044fa79f3e6ff6.jpg

2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Mike, yes, this weekend was the nation's annual Field Day.  My radio club participated, as we always do.  We rented a local park, which has a beautiful view of the countryside, and we operated the club's radios into the wee hours of the night. 

For those that don't know, Field Day is an exercise for ham radio operators, where they get the experience of setting up portable communications, so that, in the event of a disaster, they have the ability to quickly set up a communications operation to be able to communicate to the outside world.  If you saw what happened recently in the Philippines, when it was ravaged by a typhoon, all forms of communication were wiped out, but ham radio was the only form of communication with the outside world, which is what typically happens.  Field Day is basically a practice exercise for an event like this.

Field Day is a 24 hour, around-the-clock operation, and the radio clubs around the nation try to make as many contacts as they can with other hams.  With my radio club, we try to let those club members who have never participated in Field Day, operate the club's radios, so that they get the experience of operating on Field Day.  By doing that, the number of contacts that we end up making for Field Day isn't that high, since those club members take longer to make a contact than the seasoned club members do.  This year, we logged in 544 contacts, but only a small number of those contacts were made by newer members, the rest were made by seasoned members.  The gentleman that I worked with, made 222 contacts, and I logged in 188 of them. (typically, you have an operator and a logger.  The operator makes the contact, and the logger enters it into a computer....once Field Day is over, the data that was recorded by the logger, is sent to the ARRL (the American Radio Relay League), and they analyze the data, to see who made the most contacts in your classification.  The ARRL then publishes that data in their monthly magazine, QST.)

My radio club participates in Field Day to get the experience of setting up the antennas and radio equipment, and to also have fun, which we always do, and this year was no exception.  While making contacts with other hams across the nation is enjoyable, we also have lots of food for those who participate.(if you feed them, they will come.)

All in all, I think that this year's Field Day was a success for my radio club.☺️ 

adiantum

In an attempt to get us to eat more vegetables , the CSIRO has investigated ways to add powdered vegetables to coffee.

Sounds off to me, but they could be onto something by making a product that would be ideal as a base for an instant beverage similar to the cup of soup.

Here at a horticulture conference they added powdered cauliflower to coffee & it was a success....or were they preaching to the converted.

Cauliflower Latte

Cauliflower latte

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-06-27/cauliflower-coffee-causing-a-stir-at-hort-connections/11248318

adiantum

Thats why I say it sounds off to me..

I like my coffee strong & black & without sweeteners.

9 minutes ago, TX_Clint said:

No, no, no. Then it ain’t coffee.

Hammer

I don't know how that would taste, but since I don't drink coffee, or any other beverage that contains caffeine, I'd prefer to just eat the cauliflower either raw or cooked.  I have several 12 ounce (355 ml) bags of frozen broccoli/cauliflower mix in my freezer.  When I want to eat them, I'll place them in the microwave for a few minutes, then when they are cooked, I'll place them in a bowl and add some melted butter, salt and pepper to them, and eat them.  That will typically be my dinner.

adiantum

Sometimes when grocery shopping online , the order contains a surprise.

Today I was given one brown onion instead of 1Kg / 2 lbs

Admittedly it was a very nice looking onion but wasnt worth  the  $2.50 I paid.

Woolworths give such great service that I was going to ignore the error but hey...maybe that onion  would choke me... or repeat?

The staff & I shared a laugh at it  & they refunded me the $2.50

Hammer
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

Woolworths give such great service that I was going to ignore the error but hey...maybe that onion  would choke me... or repeat?

The staff & I shared a laugh at it  & they refunded me the $2.50

Lee, I didn't know that Woolworth's was still in business.  Here in the states, they closed their remaining stores in 1997, but I see that they still have a few stores left in your country.  Thanks for mentioning them, it brought back memories.  Growing up, we called them, "The Five and Dime", even though they had the store signs indicating that they were Woolworth's.

dowling gram
9 hours ago, Hammer said:

Lee, I didn't know that Woolworth's was still in business.  Here in the states, they closed their remaining stores in 1997, but I see that they still have a few stores left in your country.  Thanks for mentioning them, it brought back memories.  Growing up, we called them, "The Five and Dime", even though they had the store signs indicating that they were Woolworth's.

They closed their stores here too as did Kresge's. Yes they were "Five and Dime""stores In fact our Woolworth's  had Five and Dime printed on it's sign. In our day they were the chain stores where you could buy just about  anything for not much money. Woolworth's opened Woolco stores before they closed their doors and Kresge's opened K-Mart. Woolco is now gone but K-Mart lives on.

buddy7

On 17 December 2008, administrators announced that all 807 Woolworths stores in the UK would close by 6 January 2009), with the loss 27,000 jobs. Can recall when the admin was called in, as usual, so much fuss was being made how much of Woolworths' debt, and who would be paying it.

But I can remember, bringing up a big family, I spend many of my ££££’s in Woolworth, but looking back now, it was affordable, it was sad at the time to see my local Woolworth go.

don1942
8 hours ago, dowling gram said:

They closed their stores here too as did Kresge's. Yes they were "Five and Dime""stores In fact our Woolworth's  had Five and Dime printed on it's sign. In our day they were the chain stores where you could buy just about  anything for not much money. Woolworth's opened Woolco stores before they closed their doors and Kresge's opened K-Mart. Woolco is now gone but K-Mart lives on.

In 1977, SS Kresge changed its name to K-Mart.

adiantum

Ive got a ( 1930's? )  1st edition book in one of the crates  titled " Five and Dime". Its the Woolworths story .

I dont think our grocery chain Woolworths is the same one.

Theres also a department store Big W .

adiantum

As I said , the grocery outlets are not the same.

Wki has a great breakdown of the wollies group.

This article is about the Australian retail parent company, not to be confused with the now defunct British Woolworths Group plc. For its Australian supermarket chain, see Woolworths Supermarkets. For its New Zealand supermarket chain of this name, see Woolworths (New Zealand). For other unrelated businesses, see Woolworth§Businesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworths_Group_(Australia)

don1942

According to Wickopedia. Woolworths Group Limited is the largest retail corporation in Australia, operating a variety of supermarket and other retail chains in Australia and New Zealand. ... Woolworths is an upmarket retail chain in South Africa selling goods of a comparable nature to Marks & Spencer stores in the United Kingdom.

Woolworths’ operated Sports Authority in the Us until 2017 when it closed those stores under bankruptcy.

ran23

New Tyres!!!  Cooper AT3 4s, 265-70 R17.  happy, got a $158 quote from the dealership, beating most around.  (2007 SE Hilux Surf/ Toyota 4Runner)

adiantum

Yesterday I drove past a park & have since regretted not staying to see what was happening.

A huge beaded man got out of his car in dress ups & I've since wondered if it was a Camelot or Viking Fair.

What a pity he didnt wear a hat for me to identify. The thonging ties up his padded legs has me thinking he was Viking.

His shield was circular & Ive not seen one like that at other medieval  fairs.

What a fun day he had in plan. 

dowling gram
10 hours ago, adiantum said:

Yesterday I drove past a park & have since regretted not staying to see what was happening.

A huge beaded man got out of his car in dress ups & I've since wondered if it was a Camelot or Viking Fair.

What a pity he didnt wear a hat for me to identify. The thonging ties up his padded legs has me thinking he was Viking.

His shield was circular & Ive not seen one like that at other medieval  fairs.

What a fun day he had in plan. 

Viking-- I think they were the only ones to have circular shields. Viking shields were made of wood fashioned in a circle. It would have been interesting to stay and watch what was going on.

adiantum

A Viking Fair is my guess also.

Ive seen  a couple of medieval festivals  but this guy looked different, even bigger & more impressive then the average chain mail gear.

the padded &  taped legs Ive not seen before .

I do enjoy seeing people  have a great time, so I should've stayed a while.

Edited by adiantum

Hammer

Over here, we have Renaissance fairs.  I think that each state has it's own Renaissance fair, but I'm not sure.  I know of several states that have them every year, but I'm not sure if all of the states have them.  Rather than try to explain them to you, here is a link to Wikipedia, which explains it better than I could.  I have been to several of these in different states, and they are fun....the food, the entertainment, the arts and crafts....everything. 

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

We do have Renaissance Fairs here & the one that I saw in the local park even had a jousting exhibition...

Hmmm that really appealed to me, but instead of spears they had padding on the tips of the poles.

OneEye
3 minutes ago, adiantum said:

We do have Renaissance Fairs here & the one that I saw in the local park even had a jousting exhibition...

Hmmm that really appealed to me, but instead of spears they had padding on the tips of the poles.

Horses get up to around 55mph (88kph) rather quickly. That means that the "padding" strikes you at 110mph (176kph) with whatever weight force there is behind it. I'm not sure of all the physics evolved here...but I do know...it's probably gonna hurt!  :ridinghorse:

adiantum

Ouch... I didnt think of that. I just thought it looked good & that I'd like to try it.

I'd even forgotten how fast & hard that fall is from a horse.

Oh dear.. whats a girl to do to have fun these days that wont hurt.

12 minutes ago, OneEye said:

Horses get up to around 55mph (88kph) rather quickly. That means that the "padding" strikes you at 110mph (176kph) with whatever weight force there is behind it. I'm not sure of all the physics evolved here...but I do know...it's probably gonna hurt!  :ridinghorse:

adiantum

I've got it... 

theres no pain in being a spectator!! :rofl: 

dowling gram

That padding at the end of a jousting pole is authentic. The main point of a joust was to knock the opponent from his horse not to kill him. Most often the jousters were friends and comrades. It was a test of skill but still dangerous.

In 1559 Edward the II of England died in a freak jousting accident. It was a favorite pass time of the king. His opponents pole broke and went through the eye slit in his armor piercing him right through the eye. Infection set in and he died. It was just a coincidence that I just watched a segment of "Secrets of the Museum" the other day in which this was featured.

adiantum

Then I guess the padding is better then a poke in the eye :D

adiantum

I bought a CD online that was said to be "like new... a few scuff marks ...plays fine"

It arrived yesterday & looked brand new although no shrink wrap but a clear satchel.

I played it through my computer at first  & it couldnt identify the singer but there was only one song on it instead if 12.

I emailed the seller who promised to refund but I'm wondering if it is a pirated copy.