Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

adiantum

It's a tough life for dogs.

He's walked heaps through the park & woodland but instead of going home for a well earned nap, he has to go shopping at the local hardware for kerosene for his heater.

Of course he'd rather walk through the store  but just in case he loses his way out, he needs to pee at every corner.

Humans have rules about that.

1206394332_Bob001.thumb.JPG.19d91db9ec87ab12baab7a82ce30256a.JPG

adiantum

Urine plays a major part in identification to a dog.

He often pees on his ball when in the park,just in case some other dog arrives & focuses their beady eyes upon his ball.

He has sometimes had to pee on  the bag that holds his treats,balls etc. or if they persist then he'll  just have to fight them  for it.

Then if many dogs surround his mum, he soon lets them know she belongs to him... so he pees on her shoes.

Shes such a lucky human to be loved that much!!

Tooth Ball Rubber Balls Pet Chew Ball Tooth Cleaning Balls Silicone Tooth Ball

OneEye
3 hours ago, adiantum said:

Urine plays a major part in identification to a dog.

This is true. With a dog and many other types of animals...smell is to them what sight recognition is to us. Certain animals tend to "mark their territory" with spraying, an odor more pungent that urine. I tried that once...but I couldn't get them GenX boys comin' 'round to date my daughter to recognize who the Alpha was! :)

adiantum

Ooooooh what a formidable experience that suitor  was subjected to.. :rofl:

aka Clifton Clowers? 

21 minutes ago, OneEye said:

This is true. With a dog and many other types of animals...smell is to them what sight recognition is to us. Certain animals tend to "mark their territory" with spraying, an odor more pungent that urine. I tried that once...but I couldn't get them GenX boys comin' 'round to date my daughter to recognize who the Alpha was! :)

OneEye
31 minutes ago, adiantum said:

Ooooooh what a formidable experience that suitor  was subjected to.. :rofl:

aka Clifton Clowers? 

I used to hand out a paper to boys comin' over to date my daughter. The following...

Rule One:
If you pull into my daughter's driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two:
You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body...I will remove them.

Rule Three:
I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips. Please, don't take this as an insult, but if you've been handed down your big brother's pants, you should wait until you've grown into them. Still, I want to be fair and open minded about this issue, so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and my daughter will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact, come off during the course of your date with my daughter, my daughter will use an electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your pelvic bone.

Rule Four:
I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I AM the barrier, and I WILL kill you.

Rule Five:
It is usually understood that in order for you and my daughter to get to know each other, you should talk about $#|t  you think she's into. Please do not do this. The only information she requires from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word we need from you on this subject is "early."

Rule Six:
I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter. Otherwise, once you have gone out with my daughter, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make HER cry, I will make YOU cry.

Rule Seven:
As you stand in my daughter's front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process that may take longer than painting a custom chopper. Instead of just standing there, maybe you could do something useful, like wiping up the oil up from under my Harley-Davidson in the driveway? Show us that you care.

Rule Eight:
The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there are no parents, policemen, or nuns within eyesight. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat. Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which features chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine:
Do not lie. If I ask you where you are going, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and transportation. Do NOT...f**k with me!

Rule Ten:
As soon as you return from your date and pull into the driveway...don't get cute. Get out of the car and go around and open my daughters door; tell her you had a nice time (whether you did or not), get back in your car and drive off. You don't need to come in...you don't live here.

Now...have a nice date! :)

adiantum

Signs of the times?.

I picked up a tiny clip lock bag of white powder in the carpark this morning. 

It was lying in the mud & moisture had got into it.

I put it in the bin so dogs wouldnt eat it.

Not  so long ago a dog in South Australia  almost died after eating a bag containing heroin.

TX_Clint

Santana: Supernatural Now concert this evening. Heading out in a few hours. Gonna party hardy!! :thrasher:

ece093ef-d07a-4660-bba1-b23f1b35107e_946851_CUSTOM.jpg

ran23

My phone did a wash load.   dried out and boots up!   testing it now.

OneEye
32 minutes ago, TX_Clint said:

Santana: Supernatural Now concert this evening. Heading out in a few hours. Gonna party hardy!! :thrasher:

Santana and I went to Mission High School in San Francisco together. I was a senior at the time, he was a freshman. I used to eat lunch in Dolores Park, across the street from Mission High. A group of Mexican kids used to get together on the grass and play music during lunch.

In 1973 I worked security at Winterland in San Francisco. Santana was on the ticket one night and we went to their after party. Talked with Santana for awhile and found out he was one of those kids that used to play music in the park. We woulda took a "selfie", but...in those days all the phones were hooked to the wall!

Enjoy! :thrasher:

OneEye
4 hours ago, ran23 said:

My phone did a wash load.   dried out and boots up!   testing it now.

You do realize that's not what they mean when they say "clean your cache"?

TX_Clint

The light shines bright on Santana, his music, and his fans.

Last night. I don't remember ever seeing and hearing a better show. Santana and band were fantastico.

adiantum

Just look at this bird do  some headbanging.

Kit

So, I've always heard people say that walking dogs in good exercise.  A friend of mine here at work sometimes brings her dog, and I usually take her for a walk during my lunch.

These walks go as follows.

Walk out of building, lunge forward and bark.

Spend a couple minutes sniffing a spot on the sidewalk right outside the door.

Walk 5 feet.

Sniff a new spot for a few minutes of until I give her a tug to move on

Walk 5 feet

Sniff a new spot until I get bored and force her to move on

Walk 2 feet

Decide to go back to first spot and sniff some more until I loose my patience and force her to move on

Walk 10 feet

tinkle

Walk 5 feet

Sniff

15 minutes goes by and instead of the mile and a half, I've barely made it down the block.  This is good exercise how?

Last time I had a dog I was a kid and all neighborhood dogs just ran so walking wasn't something we really did.

adiantum

Hahaha with Kit... you gave the dog the choice of walking style..or perhaps the dog informed you of its preference.

My dogs have always known if our walk was for fitness or a social event.

They do enjoy a social event..sniff, sniff...pee, pee...snif, sniff...

My dog has even taught me how to chase a ball. I throw it & he runs to it & sits...until I walk to it again.

I use a ball thrower to get a good distance for he & I to chase it again.

The ball throwers are great & I'm occasionally tempted to aim a tennis ball at a drone when I see one.

• pawise-tennis-ball-launcher-short
  •  

Kit

The dog I had when growing up was ball obsessed.  We didn't even have to teach her.  My parents brought her home the day before easter one year when I was a kid.  They'd gotten her at the pound and she was filthy and wet.

We gave her a bath and then a friend of mine and I were with her in the basement while she dried.  There was a ball on the floor she was sniffing around.  I grabbed it and tossed it to the other side of the basement.  She went off like an arrow, grabbed the ball, brought it back, and dropped it right in my hand.  She was ball obsessed ever since, though she preferred tennis balls over any other kind.  She'd steal them from kids in the neighborhood.  It wasn't unusual to see her running full speed down the street with a gaggle of kids chasing after her trying to get their ball back.

If she was bored and couldn't get anyone to play with her, she'd sit at the top of the stairs and drop her ball.  After it had bounced about half way down, she'd chase after it, grab it, go back to the top of the stairs and do it all over and over and over again.  :)

She died 25 years ago a few months before Mr Fuzzy and I got married.  I still miss her.  She was an amazing kid dog.

dowling gram

Kit --that dog has trained his master--his master has not trained him/her. Any dog I had was eager for a walk and a walk meant you walked. A tug on the leash when he goes to sniff would tell him to move but then he's not your dog so I'd just forget walking him.

I do a lot of front porch sitting in summer. It's nice and shady and you get a breeze occasionally. A lot of people walk their dogs on our street. I can always tell the dogs that have been trained and those who have trained their master

adiantum

I met several beautiful dogs in the park this morning. They all arrived in one van belonging to a professional dog walker.

What a creative idea for a family  business.

5 dogs from a Doberman to  Corgi all played well together & mixed with my boy with ease.

They ran , swam & played together as if life time friends, yet the Doberman was new to the pack.

Their owners all work & see to it that their fur friends are cared well for during the day.

I'll definitely consider such a service if I break a leg or something that could keep my dog from his social activities. 

adiantum

Ive just enjoyed an easy to make  soup using riced cauliflower & riced mushroom with cauliflower.

I added a clove of garlic , 1/2 pkt french onion soup plus chicken stock.

Served with sour cream.

It was so good that I went back for 3rds

ran23

wow, AC misshap, brown out,   and when the forum came back up (after full reboot), it was still logged in.  

OneEye
1 hour ago, ran23 said:

wow, AC misshap, brown out,   and when the forum came back up (after full reboot), it was still logged in.  

Those are called browser session cookies. Most computers/browsers are set up so if you lose power...you may lose some of your current work that hasn't been saved...but it brings you back to where you left off.

I'm still using an old Dell Optiplex GX280 I bought in 2006. Figure maybe 4 or 5 hours a day for 13 years; that's 23,725 hours. YIKES! :eek:

Given...I've had to replace the CPU fan 5 times in 13 years...but at $8 a pop I can live with that. One of these days I'm going to turn it on and...nothing. I bought a replacement Dell 760 off eBay a few years back...but never tested it. My luck...it won't work either.

ran23

Turns out part of the city lost power, poles knocked down.  I knew I replaced the 12v-12 battery in my UPS recently, or months ago. 

adiantum

unhappy here... 

I went to the dogs park much earlier then usual but it seems there had been an intimate part in the carpark last night.

I had to pick up their  trash so dogs wouldnt go near it..

McDonalds packaging, 3 drink containers, a bong  & 2 used condoms.

I left the condom wrappers on the ground to save my back but did notice they were different brands but they came from the same car.

I'll stick to routine in future & go much later in the morning.