Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

adiantum

I had to change my password on an online store a/c but it's difficult to know of 8 characters.

They wont accept me re-using my old password ...

SnowWhite&the7 Dwarfs

adiantum

WooHoo.. it finally accepted my 8 characters..

DasherDancerPrancerVixenCometCupidDunderBlitzen

Hammer
5 hours ago, adiantum said:

I had to change my password on an online store a/c but it's difficult to know of 8 characters.

They wont accept me re-using my old password ...

SnowWhite&the7 Dwarfs

Lee, when that happens to me, I'll just add one more character to my old password.  For example, if my old password was abcdefg*, I'll change it to abcdefg**.

adiantum

Thanks Hammer but it was  just a bit of fun to play on words... " 8 characters"

adiantum

I found it really sad that this crocodile  died.

MJ had an orthopaedic plate in his stomach

They inspected his gut & found unusual items including plastic  but also a human orthopedic plate.....ooops who'd expect a humans leg to have metal in it.

orthopaedic steel plate and six screws

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-01/surgeon-says-orthopaedic-plate-inside-croc-of-human-origin/11373988

OneEye
On 7/30/2019 at 4:56 AM, dowling gram said:

We were talking about the movies and the scruffy male actors...

Speaking of movies: Not much on TV last night - decided to dig into my list of movies I've seen and would watch again. I came up with The Drop [2014]. The review says it's about an ex-con, Bob (Tom Hardy - Mad Max: Fury Road) who's taken a job at a Brooklyn bar that helps funnel cash for local gangsters. Under the heavy hand of his employer and cousin, Cousin Marv (James Gandolfini - Tony Soprano), he finds himself at the center of a robbery gone awry and entwined in an investigation that digs deep into the neighborhood's past where friends, families, and foes all work together to make a living - no matter the cost.

The movie also spotlights Noomi Rapace, Nadia (Prometheus - 2012) and Matthias Schoenaerts, Eric (Red Sparrow - 2018). On the outside it presents itself as a tough, gangster-style movie...but I found it more of a touching, heartfelt story about a dog.

My favorite line, near the end of the movie, is when Detective Torres (played by John Ortiz) leans into Bob (Tom Hardy) and says, "No one ever sees you coming, do they, Bob!"

Sadly, James Gandolfini died of "natural causes" in Rome, Italy just after the film wrapped. There's something especially poignant about watching an actor who is no longer with us doing, one final time, what he did best.

A smartly-written script. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 89%.

OneEye
11 hours ago, adiantum said:

orthopaedic steel plate and six screws

I'm guessing this plate came from surgery paid by Medicare. Notice the screws are placed at every other hole.

Hammer

I don't know if anyone here has heard of Molly Schuyler, but I've watched a number of her videos, and....well, you have to see her eat to believe it.  She competes in a lot of food eating competitions and challenges, which, if you saw how she eats in those, well, to most people it is disgusting, but in those type of competitions or challenges, the idea is to eat all of the food in the competition or challenge, in the shortest time possible, so she has to shovel the food into her mouth.  What I found interesting is that, when she's not competing, she still eats lots of food, only she eats it in a civilized way.  Here she is eating at McDonald's....oh, and it's hard to believe that someone that thin, can eat that much food and stay thin.  She has another video where she eats at Dunkin' Donuts.

Here she is at Dunkin' Donuts....

She wanted to break the record for the most calories ingested in a short amount of time (50,000 calories), so she drank 2 gallons of canola oil, which totaled over 66,000 calories.

I think that I might have posted one of her earlier videos here, but if not, she is the person who attempted the 5 pound (22.68 kg) steak challenge.  The restaurant said that the record holder so far was a guy who ate it in 20 minutes.  She ate it in 2 minutes and 47 seconds.

Edited by Hammer

ran23

McDonald's, I would go there after drinking,  Filet of Fish and 1/4 Pounder.   Donuts?    just a bog a donuts holes. (wish I invented those).  

meyery2k

Now that my floor reflects light rather than absorbs it, I realize I should've mopped it a little sooner. Oh well, it isn't like the President, my Senator, my Congressional Representative, the Mayor, or my County Councilmember was going to visit anyway...

adiantum

Am I just becoming a  grumpy old woman or am I just not in tune with the young gen's need of recreational drugs.

I decided to go to the park later on Mondays hoping others will pick up the mess in the carpark  but  it was still there waiting for me at midday.

No tiny plastic bags with white powder today & thankfully no used condoms.

Todays mess was a pink pill that couldve been devastating if a dog had eaten it.

I found it among the steel gas cylinders, all 30 of them & lots of balloons.

I didnt realise what the balloons for for until wiki explained it. I now know I shouldve picked up a plastic 'thing' that wiki  said is a cracker.

Could using this nitrous oxide be responsible for esophagus  cancers as it does cause frost bite.

from wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipped-cream_charger

Recreational drug[edit]

150px-N2O_cracker.jpg

A whipped-cream charger cracker
Further information: Recreational use of nitrous oxide

Because of their availability, chargers are usually the method of choice for users seeking to use nitrous oxide recreationally.[3] Tanks of medical grade nitrous are difficult to obtain, and auto-grade nitrous contains substances such as sulfur dioxide to prevent human consumption. Chargers are cheaply available in many stores and online.

To inhale from a charger, users either fill a balloon using a cracker, or fill an empty whipped cream dispenser and inhale from it, or likewise use it to fill a balloon, since the potentially rapid rush of gas from the spout of the dispenser may be too harsh. Inhaling directly from a cracker is particularly dangerous due to the risk of developing frostbite on the inside of the mouth or oesophagus.[4][5] The 8 gram nitrous oxide steel cylinder charger when discharged into an empty whipped cream dispenser (Mosa Corp, Taiwan) creates a pressure of 30 pounds per square inch (200kPa) and delivers 3.24 litres of nitrous oxide gas.[6] A cracker is a small device, usually made from metal, which contains two halves. The bottom half is where the charger is placed, and the top half has a pin which pierces the foil of the charger. The top half screws onto the bottom half, and then releases the gas out the top. Using a balloon with the cracker is important because when the gas is released from the charger it is extremely cold and can cause frostbite in the lips, tongue, throat, and lungs, so the gas is allowed to warm up inside the balloon before inhaling.

dowling gram
On 8/10/2019 at 2:53 PM, meyery2k said:

Now that my floor reflects light rather than absorbs it, I realize I should've mopped it a little sooner. Oh well, it isn't like the President, my Senator, my Congressional Representative, the Mayor, or my County Councilmember was going to visit anyway...

My favorite flooring for my kitchen is always mottled grey. I've had tiles, cushion floor and ceramic. The flooring may change but the color remains the same.Unless there's a big spill on it, it never shows the dirt. Not that I don't clean it but especially at gardening time when there is less time for housework and you are walking on it with dirty shoes it is really nice that it doesn't look dirty.

I've always maintained that if visitors come to see me they are welcome. If they come to see my house then stay home. I'm not a fanatic when it comes to housework. I do like it to be reasonably presentable but I'm not opposed to a little clutter. It eventually gets cleaned up but it doesn't bother me if I don't have the time or inclination to do it immediately. I am a fanatic about putting things away in their proper place though.That is not a cleaning fetish but a convenience factor. I like being able to access things when I want them.

adiantum

Todays park visit was lovely even though I had to pick up 45 canisters & just 2 balloons from the carpark before we entered the park itself.

It must be a new activity around here as I had to learn through wiki, & was able to relay this knowledge to  others that asked what I was doing.

This lot were  sloppy in that they not only threw their canisters & balloons on the ground for others to pick up  but theyve also dropped a shopping docket.

It didnt list cream whipping cartridges just diesel & candy bars but it did have a lot of personal  details on it.

Hammer

I recently subscribed to Reader's Digest", and they send me a daily letter with links to various articles.  I just received this one today, and I think that a lot of people might be interested in it.  I doubt that most people had no idea about the purpose of many of these things...like why does that pop tab on the tops of soda cans that opens them up, have a hole on one side of it?....or what is the plastic lid on fountain drinks used for besides preventing the contents of the cup from spilling out if the cup is moving (like if you are walking with it or in car.)  Why is there a little arrow on your car's fuel gauge?  Why is there a hole in your stove top pot's handle, besides to hang it up if you have hooks in your kitchen for it.  Why do  beers often come in long neck bottles?  There are a bunch of these little known facts in the above link.

ran23
On 2/7/2019 at 7:30 PM, Kit said:

When you spend 40 minutes waiting in line you get bored and start looking at other people's stuff. What is so important for people to have in prep for snow and the end of the world? 

Crackers, cookies, chips, cases of soda, beer, pudding snack packs, candy. 

One person had chocolate milk. And there's a strange oddball woman next to me with a cart full of meats and fresh vegetables. 

Something seems so wrong here. You'd almost think it was the super bowl again only without the chicken wings and 7 layer dip. 

Hey, someone had Atkins shakes. 

I'm so bored and dinner is stone cold. Book I'm reading is good though. It's about the people involved with the Phoenix Mars lander. 

I tried Atkins shakes last week, lost a bit.   Choco shake: 5g carbs, 3g fiber, 1g sugar and 15 g Protein.  Starting again today.  

adiantum

I've been forward thinking to the day my house sells & I'll need pet friendly accommodation between the cleaners & keys handover .

Started looking at caravan parks/ trailer parks  &  read the review of this one...................I'm not sure if it was the woman covered in bird poo or the toilets .

This park was horrendous. We traveled from Cairns to Sydney we stopped at this campsite as our last stop before hitting Sydney but it was so bad we drove to Sydney that day.At first we drove past that park thinking it was a scrap yard.we then decided as we had payed to go in and have a look at the facilities.we got the key for the toilets from a woman covered in bird poo then went into the park which had no campers and what seemed to have permanent residential only.we decided to leave the park after feeling very on edge as driving out we saw what we could only describe as a homeless woman sleeping in a pile of rubbish.we didn't even look at the facilities as it was so appalling.as I said we traveled from Cairns down and never have I ever seen a place like this.PLEASE AVOID THIS IS A DUMP!

meyery2k

@adiantum - Here is a fern photo I thought you would like.  My friend, Charlene Meyers (no relation), Images of Hawaii took this photo.

It is an 'amau fern.  The crater, Halemaumau is named for the fern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadleria_cyatheoides

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

adiantum

wow what a photo & such a lovely fern. A Blechnacae...tells me it rasp like.

I do like ferns...

~ Adiantum

Image result for adiantum aethiopicum

dowling gram
On 8/21/2019 at 2:45 PM, ran23 said:

I tried Atkins shakes last week, lost a bit.   Choco shake: 5g carbs, 3g fiber, 1g sugar and 15 g Protein.  Starting again today.  

I often have Atkins shakes and like the chocolate. They come in handy on days I don't eat much protein. I don't eat much meat and sometimes I'm just not interested in cooking for myself so they are a good substitute. I buy mine on line at Amazon. They are cheaper there than in the stores--at least they are here

adiantum

It's really sad to  hear of beautiful old buildings burnt down especially those we've been fond of.

I fell in love with this house years ago when it became a temporary art gallery.

I  was more impressed with its detail then the pieces of art exhibited.

The lovely entrance, the bay windows, wide skirting boards & even  the gorgeous chimney.

It burned a week ago & I dont know if the facade can be saved but certainly hope so.

It's recently been used as a restaurant.

r0_34_800_486_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg.dc037571e2ee13992829717e3cf31d7c.jpg

https://www.lakesmail.com.au/story/6349576/fire-destroys-historical-awaba-house/#slide=1

meyery2k

I received my lock for testing.  I opened the box and, wow!  I feel like I am sponsored!  There was easily $200 worth of kit in the box!

Lock, bibs, jersey, vest, arm warmers, leg warmers, a water bottle, and a t shirt. 

No photo description available.

TX_Clint

I just took a few photo's I'll share. The first is a plumbago bloom I took to test my new Sigma 18-300mm macro lens. Then some fruit I can't eat. But the oranges are beautiful when ripe. And last my summer hangout.

plumbagoMacroTest.jpg

GreenOranges2.jpg

Cabana.jpg