Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

dowling gram
56 minutes ago, ran23 said:

I think I have given up on glucosamine after a few weeks, will have to give it another try.  

Be sure you take the full dose of 3 pills daily. taking 1 pill occasionally or even daily doesn't work. I've heard so many people say it doesn't work but when you ask they haven't taken the full dose. It took about 4 months for me to notice the results.

I stopped taking it a year or so ago and 3 weeks later I woke up one morning and couldn't raise my arm without pain and then only  to shoulder length. I went back on them and took the combination pill. 2 weeks later I noticed the difference. It didn't take as long to get results because I think I still had some in my system. I'll never stop again!

adiantum

In  case there's aussies lurking.. The bush fires are devastating .

Our rescued bush babies are suffering & in need of crafty people to sew pouches  for them.

Pouches of All Sizes

Pouches for marsupials.
A finished pouch.
These pouches will keep the orphaned marsupials feel safe and snug - while they're being cared for by volunteers.

The pouches are sewn in a 4:3 proportion with rounded bottom
corners that each should take up about 1/3 to 3/5 of the total
bottom width.

All sizes are welcome - so go through your craps and remnants first to see what your can make with the least amount of wastage.
Pouch Size Chart (in cm)
The chart is shown in cm (not inches). 
Your measurements don’t need to be exact, just proportionate. Liners should be about 5cm longer than the pouch so they fold over the top easily.

Good to Know
  • The pouches consist of TWO layers: the Outer Pouch and the Liners.
  • Liners should be 100% natural fibres: cotton, bamboo, linen – no polyester, synthetics or fabrics that have plastic or glitter. Any print is fine!
  • Breathability and softness are the priority: think about what you would put next to a baby’s bare skin.
  • Wool & Calico should only be used for outer pouches. 
  • Use the softest fabrics possible for liners. Flannelette, light cotton, or stretchy t-shirt jersey are recommended.
  • Each outer pouch needs 2-3 liners for easier washing.
  • Outer pouches can be anything from light fabrics for summer to warmer fleeces and wool for winter.
  • Please use French Seam instead of overlocking. More details below.

Ready to Get Sewing?

Here's the pattern to download:

Download Pouch Pattern Now

Hanging Pouches for Joeys

Hanging pouch for joey.
Hanging pouch dimensions.
Hanging pouches make the perfect home for orphaned joeys as they are able to have their familiar suspended security of being in mum's pouch.

This nifty design allows the pouch to be hung with any coat hanger!

Dimension is approximate. Generally the larger the better as multiple joeys may be in one hanging pouch.

You can use: blankets, towels, polar fleece etc. You can upcycle old fabric as long as it is clean.

Here's your pattern...

Download Hanging Pouch Pattern Now

Koala Mittens

Injured koalas need mittens.
Attached woollen ties.
Injured koalas typically come into care with severe burns on their paws, caused by contact with burning trees or from fleeing across fire grounds.

Just like any burns victim, koalas’ dressings need changing daily, so a constant supply of mittens is needed by wildlife carers. Some burned koalas can take up to a year to fully recover. The poor things.

Please use clean, 100% cotton fabric. Patchwork cotton is ideal.

Even though the pattern didn't mention it, the mitten should be French seamed instead of simply overlocked - because their claws might catch the overlocking stitches (ouch).

Ready to make some mittens?

Here's your pattern...

Download Koala Mitten Pattern Now

Bat Wraps (!!)

Baby bats in wraps.
Baby bat yawns...
Bat wraps simulate mum's wings and are used by carers to wrap injured and orphaned bats so they feel safe.

Use 100% flannelette fabric – new or old fabric / sheets will do as long as they are clean, but please make sure the flannelette is 100% cotton.

Bat wraps can be made in any colour and print - they are not fussy 🙂

This pattern included a small cushion though there are no buttons or Velcro as the wrap is simply rolled around the bat. The stuffing for the cushion can be new toy filling or filling from new and recycled (clean) pillows.

Ready to make some bat wraps?

Download your pattern here...

Download Bat Wrap Pattern Now

This 6-min Video Shows You How to Make the Pouches...

12d34392-f4f9-4d79-90c3-fb572234c09f.jpg
The pouches are quick and easy, you can literally whizz them up in minutes once you get going...
Watch Video Now

Important Note Before You Sew...

Fabric

Inner Pouch, Koala Mittens & Bat Wraps need to be 100% cotton (flannel is good as long as it is 100% cotton). Patchwork cotton fabric is perfect but no glitters!

Polar Fleece is ok only for outside pouch. Calico is too rough for the animals so please avoid or use for the outer pouch only. Please avoid synthetic materials because they aren’t breathable.

Fabrics can be second hand blankets, tote bags etc. but must be cleaned before being sewn.

Overlocked Seam vs. French Seams

An overlocker can only be used for the first set of seams but NOT for the final seams because the animals can get their claws stuck in the overlocked seams. Please use French seams - it's fast & easy, and you don't need an overlocker!

ran23

Glucosomine: What I have is 1000mg size.  I can take 3 a day to test this out.  I think my left shoulder is arthritis or something like that.  Only exercise seems to help that.  Once it warms up, it helps.   thanks

adiantum

Theres a real estate agents office nearby that has a huge mast/aerial on its roof with a satelite? dish on the top.

It must be 50ft high. I guess that as old tv antennas used to be 40ft here & this one is taller.

Why would they need that? We have great coverage here for the internet & cell phones.

Are they selling blocks of land on Mars or the moon?

adiantum

What do you do to refresh a page?

On my old computer it was F5 but now I've windows 10 that doesnt work

Its mostly when playing sudoku where I prefer to use the keyboard

Edited by adiantum

meyery2k

F5 works on my PC.

I did a Google on this and some keyboards have a key labelled "FN" for function (mine doesn't).  Pressing the FN key and F5 simultaneously is supposed to work if this is the case on your new computer.  I have an old keyboard so no FN key.

adiantum

Thanks!

The fn with F5 works.

One day I must get to know the new features this keyboard has, theres  several Ive not seen before.

Hammer

This keyboard that I am using is a mechanical keyboard, with back lit keys. (each key has an LED bulb under it to illuminate the key, and it has four levels of brightness.)  This particular keyboard also has an FN (Function) key, but I have another mechanical keyboard from a different manufacturer that has a Function key in the same location as the FN key on this keyboard, but it's not labeled FN, it has an image of a gear on it.

If anyone has never used a mechanical keyboard, they are, in my opinion, the best keyboards that you can buy.  They aren't cheap, (around $150), but they last practically forever.  The keyboards that come with computers are the membrane type of keyboard, and they can be bought for as little as $10.  Those membrane keyboards are very light weight, whereas the mechanical keyboards are heavy.  I opted for a mechanical keyboard years ago because of what I had read about them, plus, you can get a variety of keys for them.  Both of my mechanical keyboards use Cherry MX Blue keys.  Cherry is the name of the manufacturer, MX indicates that it is a mechanical key, and Blue indicates what type of mechanical key it is (not the color of the key).  The Blue keys give a loud, distinct "Click" when you press it.  That "Click" indicates that the key was pushed in far enough to make contact, so you don't have to push the key all the way down, just push it down far enough until you hear the click. (The "Blue" type of keys wouldn't be a good option in an office environment, especially if there were numerous keyboards in use at the same time....too much noise.)   Cherry also makes a variety of other keys, but it's easier if I just post a link to them, in the event that anyone is interested in them. 

Edited by Hammer

OneEye
16 hours ago, Hammer said:

If anyone has never used a mechanical keyboard, they are, in my opinion, the best keyboards that you can buy.  They aren't cheap, (around $150), but they last practically forever.

Couldn't agree more. I use an IBM Model M "clickey" keyboard, made in Feb 1988. My first Model M was given to me in 1985. It was a year old and the guy wanted a keyboard that was quieter. I was quite impressed at the way this thing was built. Industrial strength; with replaceable key caps. That keyboard lasted me until 1993 when I spilled a rock glass of JD and Coca~Cola on it. I'm pretty good at fixin' things. Once I got this keyboard apart to clean it...there was no puttin' this thing back together. On an IBM Model M "clicky" keyboard...there's no comin' back from a Jack & Coke spill. Took me a few days on the phone to find another keyboard. A computer store 80 miles away had one for sale for $40. I got one warning and one speeding ticket driving there. The seller's last words before we hung up were, "first come, first served!" 

26 years I've had this keyboard and it still works like the day it came from the factory. I can't imagine any product this intricate lasting this long without some type of major maintenance throughout the years. All I do once a year is remove the key caps, clean them with a wet rag and 409 and snap them back on. That's it!

You can plug these right into a computer that has a PS/2 connection, but...to plug them into a computer that only has USB ports you have to use a special adapter, you can't just use a regular PS/2 to USB adapter. I bought this from clickykeyboards.com. Good place to shop for parts but their keyboard prices are outrageous. You can find better deals on eBay.

Hammer

OneEye, it's the IBM mechanical keyboards that I read about that prompted me to get a mechanical keyboard.  Back then, I looked around for that keyboard but couldn't find one, so I opted for the one I'm using now....an X-Armor U9BL, back lit mechanical keyboard.  It appears that iOne bought out X-Armor, but this keyboard is no longer available.

When I went to buy a second X-Armor keyboard, I found out that they were no longer available, so I shopped around and got a SteelSeries Apex M500 mechanical keyboard, with the same Cherry MX Blue keys.  That one is new and still in the box, although I have tested it a few times.  Here is a 43 second video of someone typing on it to give you an idea of what it looks and sounds like. (it looks as if the typist has the LEDs under each key set to maximum brightness...I set mine a bit dimmer.)   Apparently, that keyboard is also, no longer available, although there are other Apex models that are available..

Edited by Hammer

OneEye

One of the things I like about this keyboard is the markings on the key caps aren't printed...they're cast into the key cap. I've seen keyboards where just a few months down the road you can't read the most often typed keys. And...if one of these keys were to start wearing out...I saved all the key caps from the other Model M I drowned in Jack & Coke.

ran23

Real windy day yesterday.  Lost the entire length of my backyard wood fence.   Maybe 8' beyond that is the condo's back yard fence. and stupid cherry trees.   They (trees) kept my fence from falling apart.  Maybe it can be saved as a whole piece, don't really think so.   thinking $2-3000 during the holidays.  great.    life is fun

OneEye
1 hour ago, ran23 said:

Real windy day yesterday.  Lost the entire length of my backyard wood fence. 

When you rebuild I suggest a shadow box fence. Wind goes through the fence...you still have privacy.

sb.jpg

buddy7
15 hours ago, OneEye said:

When you rebuild I suggest a shadow box fence. Wind goes through the fence...you still have privacy.

sb.jpg

OneEye Thanks for your Photo of the fence, you see, I’m contemplating on replacing my weather rot, dilapidated fence sometime next summer. The one you posted is a first for me, never seen this before. My current fence runs 120 ft. x 50 ft. wide, what I’ve got in mind is a 2 ft. concrete plinth at the bottom and concrete post, with a 6ft x 6ft fence panels, that slot in the concrete post and also slots into the 2-foot concrete plinth. The fence must contain natural insect-repelling.
When the New Year begins, I think a quote will be necessary.

Forest 6'x3' Lap Fence Panel

ran23

I unfortunately, have to match the HOA I am in.   I am thinking of additional braces and the like after it is repaired.  It is the most stupid/lightweight design I have ever seen. 

meyery2k

We were blessed with a beautiful day today.  Got up early to prep the turkey.  I decided to try and cook it in a 250F oven since I have had great luck with other proteins that way.  Tim was home to keep an eye on it so I went on a group ride.  I rode strong and that was such a confidence builder.  It was good to ride with all my friends.  Even Simon (lol)...

One of the people, Paul, goes to the mainland and Asia to race.  I am not sure how pro he is but he has top of the line kit and he leaves us all behind.  I think he is a member of a race team based in Honolulu.  He invited me and a few other riders to try a ride around the island.  We would take 3 days.  He would arrange for a pace/support vehicle.  I am all in after seeing how far I have recovered.  He is really a great inspiration.  In spite of being much fitter, stronger, and so on, he always encourages us to work hard and sometimes we can even almost keep up with him lol...

One thing I am particularly thankful for is meeting Gerry, the group organizer.  He is in his late 60's and an excellent rider.  He has had some misfortunes which, he says, have weakened him as a rider.  I sure couldn't tell.  He has shared a few stories though and, wow...  When I first fell ill, I was a little down because my ability to ride a bike was threatened.  I remembered all the things Gerry talked about and how he adapted.  My first few rides were scary and I was weak.  As my confidence rebuilt, so did my strength.  I feel very fortunate that events worked out in my favor this time.  As I get older, that might not always be the case.  Gerry's example will help me adapt as this happens.  I told him I was thankful for him and why.  He explained that he was inspired by other riders and athletes that overcame hardship.  I thanked him for paying it forward.  I explained to him that I got back on the bike because I knew I could thanks to him.  The alternative of not riding was not one I was going to accept.  He laughed and agreed that is pretty much how that worked for him.

Lastly, I am thankful the bird turned out well...

Image may contain: food

OneEye
7 hours ago, buddy7 said:

... what I’ve got in mind is a 2 ft. concrete plinth at the bottom and concrete post, with a 6ft x 6ft fence panels, that slot in the concrete post and also slots into the 2-foot concrete plinth.

Well, that oughta survive a category 5 hurricane. Don't want your Weber grill to fly away!

Hammer

Sometimes, overkill is necessary when installing something outside of your house.  In my case, it was my mailbox.  I had my mailbox run over by some moron, and the moron didn't stop and leave a note, so I had to replace it.  This time, I got a 6 inch by 6 inch piece of pressure treated lumber, and buried it in a hole that was as deep as my post hole digger could go.  Once that piece of lumber was in place, I took a 3 inch by 12 inch piece of pressure treated lumber, cut it to fit the width of my mailbox (I have a 2X size mailbox), then screwed it to the top of the 6" X 6" piece of lumber, using long, stainless steel screws.  I then mounted the mailbox on top of the 3 inch piece of lumber, and secured it with long, stainless steel screws.

Now, if some moron runs over my mailbox, sure, they will damage it, but they won't be able to drive their car away from it.  Oh, and I've screwed onto the 6" X 6" piece of lumber, a red reflector, and a blue reflector, on one side of it, and the same on the other side of it, so that anyone driving towards it at night can see the reflectors.(my little cul-de-sac bends around to the right as you are leaving the cul-de-sac, and my mailbox is in the middle of that bend.  I figured that the moron who ran over my first mailbox must have been drunk to not see it, hence the reflectors.)

dowling gram

Hammer --My house is just after the bend in the road too. Thank heaven we don't have storm sewers and have ditches instead or I might end up with a car in my house. Almost every winter some idiot drives into the ditch. These idiots have never heard "drive for the road conditions" Instead they whiz around the turn, hit ice and skid into the ditch. If we ever get storm sewers I'm putting up guard rail in front of my property.

meyery2k

What a month! I ended up in the hospital on the first Saturday. I ended the month with a 125km ride in 4 hours 53 minutes. I was just ready today. I wasn't ready last week or even yesterday, but I was ready today. People that know me well express concern that I might push too hard. I admit that I do push myself. I always have. I also listen to my body. It is very good at telling me when I am pushing too hard. I have that feeling of well worked muscles. Yes, I will probably have some mild soreness in the calves tomorrow but that is certainly not unusual after big ride Saturdays.  

Even though I missed half the month due to illness, I still eked out 800km this month. While I satisfied my goal of 10000 km, then 10000 miles, I had a chance at 12000 miles for the year. Illness, unfortunately, will make that unattainable. Maybe next year. Still. my yearly total is 17157 km. 18000 is reachable which would be an average of 1500 km a month. Yeah, I think that will be my target. I will have to work for it but not uber hard. If I don't make it, I don't much care. I still rode a bicycle over 10000 miles in one year. I don't have anything to prove to anyone.

I am feeling much better now. Work is challenging. I have a role in "Our Town" that will keep me busy, Christmas is coming, and so on, and so on. I am grateful for the life I have.

Hammer

Mike, I can relate to your "pushing too hard".  Years ago, when I was working on third shift, and I worked out at the gym every day on my way home from work, there were days when I didn't seem to have the energy to work out that hard, which made me mad.  When I got to the gym, I "punished myself" by forcing myself to workout harder than I normally would have, and the end result was that I felt so much better after the workout.  It seemed that, by pushing myself to workout even harder, that feeling of low energy disappeared, and the workout went a lot better than I had thought that it would.  That avatar of me is what I looked like back then. (no way is it how I look now. 😄)

Kit

Conversation between Mr Fuzzy and myself.

Me:  Oh god I feel old.

Mr Fuzzy:  Why is that?

Me:  <such and such character> just stated that today is her Father's 45th birthday.

Mr Fuzzy:  And how old are you my love?

Me:  Um . . . 

Mr: Fuzzy:  Having to do the math?

Me:  Actually trying to remember what year it is first.

Mr. Fuzzy:  Now there's a good sign.

Edited by Kit