Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

adiantum

Thanks Mike, interesting reading  there over my morning break.

Wouldnt this world be amazing if no flora & fauna were introduced to another country..including humans.

Our Melaleuca paper barks are doing very, very well in  Florida & our Possums are not considered so cute in New Zealand.

The typical English garden would be very dull if not for the  imports of beautiful flowering plants from China.

The Eucalyptus tree has some fantastic modification to continue the survival of their species. 

The bark is hardened & can tolerate fire, only the damaged trees allow the flame to get inside & destroy it.

Some have a modified root system called a lignotuber which will regenerate new suckers after a fire has destroyed its trunk.

Each tree produces a massive seed bank of billions of which many will survive the fires.

adiantum

One tree  thats become a weed in my garden is highly valued in other towns.

The Jacaranda tree is a native of the Caribbean & Latin America & is truly beautiful in flower.

That house with the nice deck l I was looking at had a lovely view of a Jacaranda tree .

The town in which it grows celebrates  the flowering season every year & is important to their tourism.

hqdefault.jpg    h

meyery2k

You might find this link interesting, Lee...  http://www.jacarandainn.com/

Another interesting eucalyptus story here in Hawaii.  There is an energy plant that proposes to create a managed forest of eucalyptus trees to furnish as fuel for a wood to energy power plant.  The residents are against this plan because they feel this is too archaic.  There is some legitimate concern about the gasoline or diesel fuel needed to haul the logs and the increased traffic on the roads.  They also worry about the wear and tear on our roads from this increased traffic.  The other concern would be the discharge of effluents into the sea.  The plant is right on the ocean.  Not one watt has been produced and the plant has already been fined for wastewater discharge.  For those interested in the details, google Hu Honua power plant.

adiantum

I'm shocked at such a venture being considered in these times when were conscious of carbon emissions.

While I dont have the answer to meet the power supply, I support your protesters.

I resent our gov being dead set on selling our agriculture land for open cut coal mines.

Its no wonder we are in such a serious drought that were now on fire.

Perhaps we all should reduce our need for electricity.

Coal fed power plants are the greatest polluters.

Wind farms kill too many birds including raptors & even albatross. 

Nuclear energy is the cleanest... until  the reactor fails & the residue,is that still called white cake?

There was a pulp mill in Tasmania that pleased many people the day it went into liquidation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Bay_Pulp_Mill

adiantum

I must look in the stores freezer section more often.

McCain, a NZ co has packed interesting vegetable combos that take just 3 minutes in the m'wave.

Todays yummy lunch was " Garlic Miso,Chinese broccoli,choy sum & snow peas. 

The 200g pack says it serves 2 at 4g carbs but surely thats as a side.. or do I eat too big a serving.

So, its 8g carbs for me.

Theres many varieties & I'll certainly stock up next time theyre on a half price special.

The Sweet potato,kale & feta has more carbs but it's oh so good.

OhMyVeg

meyery2k

Some fun pictures from my ride this afternoon.  We had our first big wet season rain event.  Friday was a rest day.  Saturday and Sunday were too rainy.  I was stir crazy so I went on "French leave" a little early today.  This is Pauahi Street, er lake...  The area is cordoned off but you can see several other scofflaws in the area. 

Image may contain: sky, basketball court, tree and outdoor

Rainbow Falls.  Typical day and this day after 20+" of rain upstream.

22814089_10207996125660650_2543085589804834498_n.jpg.17dff39b4562bc1772cf7620b6f5c381.jpg

Image may contain: plant, outdoor, nature and water

adiantum

I missed it by " that" much...if you call $6 million that much.

That's how much the Birdsville Hotel in West Queensland sold for.

Birdsville is desert country with a population of 140 by the 2016  census.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-14/birdsville-pub-new-owners-david-nell-brook-jo-kym-fort/11866026

The Birdsville Hotel in Western QueenslandThe population explodes is September for the Birdsville races.

https://www.birdsvilleraces.com/

Hammer
On 1/13/2020 at 8:51 PM, adiantum said:

I'm shocked at such a venture being considered in these times when were conscious of carbon emissions.

While I dont have the answer to meet the power supply, I support your protesters.

I resent our gov being dead set on selling our agriculture land for open cut coal mines.

Its no wonder we are in such a serious drought that were now on fire.

Perhaps we all should reduce our need for electricity.

Coal fed power plants are the greatest polluters.

Wind farms kill too many birds including raptors & even albatross. 

Nuclear energy is the cleanest... until  the reactor fails & the residue,is that still called white cake?

There was a pulp mill in Tasmania that pleased many people the day it went into liquidation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Bay_Pulp_Mill

Lee, there are other things to consider when tackling the energy situation.  Yes, the carbon emissions of the trucks would be a consideration....nuclear power, well, if every power plant in the world converted to nuclear power, the world would run out of Uranium in 20 years.  Okay, so if we all tried to convert to clean energy, what would that cost the average person?  I heard a researcher talk about this some years ago, and he said that, yes, we could convert to clean energy, but that would greatly increase our monthly energy bill.  Everyone who is on the clean energy bandwagon...if we went to clean energy, would you be happy with an $800 a month energy bill?....maybe a $1,000 a month energy bill?  Coal is the cheapest form of energy today, but it pollutes.  Which would you rather have, cleaner air and an $800 a month energy bill, or less clean air and a $150 a month energy bill?  Protecting the environment sounds good until you see how much it costs the average person, then it doesn't seem so great, since most of us can't afford it.  We all want clean air, but at what cost?

I don't know if you've heard of it, but Alexandria Ocasio Cortez (AOC), a moron first year Congress person here in the US, is pushing for her "Green New Deal".  She says that we need to address climate change, and her Green New Deal will be the answer.  Yes, her solution is to ban anything that uses petroleum products...cars, trucks, buses, trains, airplanes, power plants that use oil, coal or gas, cows because cow farts impact air pollution, and to rebuild every single building in the US to make them more energy efficient.  That would cost $94 trillion....5½ times the amount of all of the tax revenue that the government takes in every year.  There is a point to where the cost outweighs the benefits.  We need to have a balance of the two.  You can't get 100% satisfaction for each side of the equation, because it's not realistic.

adiantum
Hammer, I said I didnt know the answer.

I'm fed up with coal being  mined in my country.
 I'm fed up with seeing roads & houses crack because of underwall mining.
I'm fed up with seeing our forests & prime agriculture land being sold for open cut mining .
I'm fed up with seeing our stream beds fractured .
I'm fed up with coal trains with their dust coating houses & schools as they screech along.

I'm fed up with seeing the flotilla  of ships moored off our coast & knowing their anchors are ripping our shelf into rubble.
I'm also fed up with the sleezy smiles of our politicians as they claim economic growth  while being sponsored by coal mines.

To continue using coal at this rate   is like spitting on your grand children's future & the world  which  my generation adopted.

I'm also fed up with gas exploration as it too is breaking our shelf apart. It is also very  possible that the sonar blasts is whats killing the whales.

I'm also fed up with arrogant humans that dont give a rats arse about the future generations & reduce their demand upon electricity.

I did not support nuclear energy, I simply said its the cleanest.
 Australia has over 50 years supply of uranium . 
Thats probably why another politician is holding his wig down so it doesnt shift while he jumps for joy.
 I hope it stays underground.

I have   no problem whatsoever paying for the power I use. 
If it becomes too costly then I just reduce my demands.

No I dont know of the person you referred to .
I have enough people taking up space on my  mind with our politician. 
He was  too keen to protect his religious freedom & family vacations, spruiking economics   while my fellow Australians ,it's flora and fauna burn to death .

It  offends me that we seem to be building mansions that get lit up like xmas trees with no consideration of the energy used.  
It offends me when those that make their fortunes exploiting the planet using  the little people by filling their minds with false facts & propaganda.

It deeply offends me that so many people dont care!!!

This is my opinion and I will not change it nor  discuss it any further or  it could  become volatile.  

adiantum

Just came in to watch the afternoon news..

Is it wrong to laugh at a woman accidentally driving her car or should I say crashing her car into an optometrists store she intended visiting to collect her new glasses.

Then... not only did a woman lock her 3 children in a car... she forgot where she parked it.

So, reported it as stolen which activated an amber alert.

I have great respect for police & wonder how they keep their cool over stupid people.

"

Three little girls who were in the back seat of a car allegedly stolen in western Sydney have been found safe and well.
Police issued an amber alert to find the three children shortly before 3pm.
Minutes after the alert was issued, they were found safe.

The three girls, aged eight, seven and two, were sitting in the back of a Toyota Camry after a woman parked in a car park........"

Hammer

Lee, I in no way meant to offend you, and I surely didn't mean to suggest that your way of thinking was wrong, I just wanted to show what the other side of things were, that's all.  Something that we all can't get away from is that, where people are concerned, there will be pollution, that's just a fact.  We all pollute in some way, whether we want to or not.  Our trash is picked up every week, so where does that trash go?...to landfills, which is pollution.  We wash things...ourselves, our clothes, our cars, whatever, so where does that waste water go?

One of the biggest problems is that the human population is constantly growing, so the pollution problem is constantly growing, and there is no way around that.  As the population grows, our energy needs grows, and that's why we have all of the problematic things that you mentioned.  The only way to curb those things is to limit the world's population growth, which will never happen, so we are stuck with the state of what we now have.

Referring to something that you mentioned...people living in mansions seem to have no concern for the energy that they use to light up those mansions.  Well, that comes across that way because we don't have the means to do things like that.  By the same token, homeless people look at us and think that we are extravagant because we live in a house that has a TV, air conditioning, heat, lights, computers, wi-fi, telephones, etc.  We can't judge others by what they have or do, because we are just as guilty of doing the same thing, just on a smaller scale.  I don't have the means to host a gathering of 50 people who are business associates, but those who are in that position do, so they live in mansions that will accommodate something like that, so they use more electricity.

Lee, I am just playing devil's advocate here....not to anger anyone, but to just give the opposite side of the story....a side that most of us never consider.  

meyery2k

One thing that bothers me is when people with the means, as it is called, call out others for their additions to the problems are the very ones that add the most to the problem or ignore their contributions to it...

These problems are greater in our lifetime and will continue to become greater as the population grows.  In 1900, the estimated world population was 1.6 billion people.  Now, 120 years later, it is over 6 billion.  This in spite of all the wars fought, a great flu pandemic (1918), some outbreaks of plague, and new pathogens such as SARS and AIDS.  Humans have proven to be quite prolific and we are, unfortunately, driven to reproduce and keep the species going.  At one time there was estimated to be only 10,000 humans after a catastrophic volcanic event.

I am not saying I have any answers either but, the best we can do, is to try and minimize our impact as best we can.  We do make some progress.  We have cleaner air and water where the efforts have been made.  We are starting to try and recycle.  We shut the lights off when we leave a room.  The state I live in is striving to be 100% renewable.  With the technology right now it is not quite feasible but a good portion of our energy is derived from renewable sources.  Unfortunately, to meet demand, this has created some other problems.  One of the largest wind turbines in the state is being built in the neighborhood where my uncle and his wife live.  The community doesn't want it because of the effect it will have on wildlife and, possibly, people  (infrasound interfering with sleep and learning).   On the island I live on, there are several wind farms that were built in very rural areas and everyone seems to play nicely.  We also have a geothermal plant that some claim caused the 2018 eruption and has (factually) released toxic gasses on several occasions.  It was built on largely undeveloped land but, again population growth, people started buying property and building there.

A complicated problem with no simple solution to be sure.

adiantum

Have you done jury duty?

Last month I received notification that I'd been included on a jury roll for urgent summons until December 2020.

Whilst I believe jury system is the best, it would have had adverse conditions on me personally.

I stressed over it for days  & eventually had them take my name off the roll.

Now I feel relief but also a little guilty.