Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

Hammer
12 hours ago, ran23 said:

You're on a roll tonight.     Tyres?  hates replacing mine after almost 7 yrs and only 25,000 on them.  retired life doesn't take me very far at times. 

I hate having to replace my tires also, but I am anal about my tires.  If they look worn, I'll replace them.  I'm not like some people who let their tires get so bald that you can see the air in them.  I'll dread it when I have to replace the tires on my Dodge Durango....they are 18 inch (45.2 cm) tires.  I wanted to buy a set of Blizzak snows tires (the best snow tire you can buy, in my opinion), and when I buy snow tires, I buy them already mounted on their own rims, that way, I can swap them out myself.  I checked the price and a set of four, cost $1700.😲 

don1942

I attend about 10 Autocross events a year so I buy specially designed “sticky” street tires ( Bridgestone Potenza RE 70 R - 225 x 45 x 17.) Because they consist of soft rubber, they need to be replaced every two years at a cost of about $650 a set. I buy them On line from Tire Rack. I found a locale tire shop who will replace the tires at a cost of $25 per wheel.

ran23

For an all around AT this time, I went with the new Copper AT3 S4.   snowflake rated.  quiet and balance nice.  I did less than 150 miles in January.

adiantum

Passengers quarantined on board the Japanese liner Diamond Princess  are not having fun.

They have to remain in their cabins including at least one insulin diabetic.

I head him speak on the radio saying he had 30days supply of insulin but food was an issue.

They have no say in what food is being served.

The PA announced food would be served in their cabins starting at the lowest level & this passenger was on 9th floor.

A report followed  declaring he had food served. That mustve been stressful for him.

Diamond Princess ship

adiantum

Naturally that shouldve read insulin dependent ...my keyboard has spooks that removes words. :rofl:

Hammer
4 hours ago, don1942 said:

I attend about 10 Autocross events a year so I buy specially designed “sticky” street tires ( Bridgestone Potenza RE 70 R - 225 x 45 x 17.) Because they consist of soft rubber, they need to be replaced every two years at a cost of about $650 a set. I buy them On line from Tire Rack. I found a locale tire shop who will replace the tires at a cost of $25 per wheel.

I've never participated in an autocross event, but I have taken my car to the track on several occasions. (Summit Point, West Virginia.... a 2 mile, 10 turn track.)  I didn't buy track tires, I just used my all season radials.  The first few times I went to the track, I drove my BMW M3.  The last time I was at the track, I drove my Mini Cooper S.  While it's a lot of fun, it wears you out, because you have to stay so focused on your driving.  When your hitting 105 mph (169 kph), as your turning into a 130 degree turn, you can't make a mistake.  If you do it right, your car will do a perfectly controlled slide around the turn.  If you do it wrong, you have to hit the brakes to try and regain control, otherwise you'll run over the alligator strips (also called rumble strips.)

Edited by Hammer

don1942

I am currently driving a 2011 Mini S. However, when I was driving my 2008 Miata, I would attend two or three track days a year at Pocono Raceway road course. I also had to turn in at the end of the straightaway going 105 mph, brake, and downshift into 3rd. In those days, I used non-street legal R compound tires which significantly improved traction. However, I had to trailer them and change them at the track/autocross.

adiantum

I've great admiration for this PhD candidate thats studying the disposal of dog dumps.

It's a serious environmental issue, so I gladly contributed to her survey.

My council provides green compostable bags for food & poo waste that they collect weekly from the supplied green bins.

The final compost is used in parks  & gardens .

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/can-dog-poo-be-used-in-household-compost-research-underway/11937648

Had to laugh at the approach to determining the size of the dump & thankful my GP doesnt use such a scale...

Thinking about the size of standard Australian (Bunnings) sausage as a reference, which of the following best estimates the total amount of faeces your dog(s) produce each day? (select one)

Less than ½ sausage
½ to 1 sausage
1-2 sausages
3-5 sausages
5-10 sausages
More than 10 sausages
Unsure
Other (please specify)

meyery2k

@Hammer - On a downhill yesterday, I finally managed to crack 70km/h on my bicycle.  I have a special love for the bike techs now because a failure could be catastrophic.

adiantum

The lovable wombat must be the hero of the forest.

proving popular in drought-ravaged Hunter Valley

Wombat close up

In times of our serious drought the wombat digs for water. It digs so deep & wide that other animals like kangaroos,emus & lace monitors etc can climb into the cavity to get a drink.
Its a lovely story within the link.

Two kangaroos can be seen inside a small dug well. One pokes its head above ground.

adiantum

The coronavirus outbreak has now  effected upon me.

I tried to put  hand sanitiser on my shopping list but the store has no stock left.

It seems theres panic buying & boxes of it have been bought up & sent to China.

Important announcement, attention customersAttention customers

Coles is currently experiencing a shortage of some antibacterial handwashes and hand sanitiser products due to extremely high customer demand.
We are working closely with our suppliers to improve availability and hope to recommence full supply shortly.

Its the same in pharmacies...

https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/search/go?w=hand sanitiser

The disposable overalls are also out of stock.

OneEye
9 hours ago, adiantum said:

I tried to put  hand sanitiser on my shopping list but the store has no stock left.

Recently, the FDA asked manufacturers of hand sanitizers for more information on three commonly used active ingredients in OTC hand sanitizers. Those ingredients — alcohol (ethanol or ethyl alcohol), isopropyl alcohol, and benzalkonium chloride — are used in approximately 97 percent of OTC hand sanitizers. The alcohol is what kills the virus...not the fluff they add to the hand sanitizer so that you smell nice after you smothered yourself with this. Can you make your own hand sanitizer in a pinch? Absolutely.

About every 6 months I buy a double-pack (2x32 ounces) of 91% Isopropyl alcohol off of eBay. This last purchase...I paid $6.82 for the double-pack, That's a little over $10AUD. I mix one of the bottles with 9 ounces of bottled water to make 70% alcohol. (They charge the same for 91% as they do for 70%...so I make my own.)

You pour a small amount in your hand, rub them together good until the alcohol has evaporated...voilà. Does the alcohol dry out your hands? If you don't use something to wipe your hands dry...the oils in your hands stay there. Then again...if you're worried about going to your grave with dry hands...

If you need a preventative immediately and the stores are out of rubbing alcohol...100 proof vodka works just as well.

Edited by OneEye

adiantum

Thank you !! 

I didnt think of options . Just checked ebay & it's certainly cheaper then the smelly OTC stuff.

I like to use it after feeding the birds while watching tv or on the computer. 

I keep about 1/2 cup of ground beef  on the desk & pass it through the window when the meat eater birds arrive for a snack.

Its easier to use the sanitiser then constant getting up to go wash my hands.

I also use it after I've thrown a slimy tennis  ball for a dog in the park . That is gross & I dont know why some dogs assume I want to play.

TX_Clint
13 hours ago, adiantum said:

Important announcement, attention customersAttention customers

Coles is currently experiencing a shortage of some antibacterial handwashes and hand sanitiser products due to extremely high customer demand.
We are working closely with our suppliers to improve availability and hope to recommence full supply shortly.

Its the same in pharmacies...

https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/search/go?w=hand sanitiser

The disposable overalls are also out of stock.

Well darn. There goes my wardrobe. 

adiantum

Beautiful Art I'd like to have framed yet each of us could have similar.

Coloured scanning electron micrograph of bacteria on the surface of a human tongue.
Please dont reach for a wire brush & disinfectant , but this is bacteria found on a human tongue.
(Getty Images: Steve Gschmeissner/Science Photo Library)
abc.net.au/news/science/2020-02-12/predicting-age-from-bugs-microbiota-mouth-skin-poo/11955090?section=science

adiantum

Do you folk use a spiral cutter like this.... & is it worth the asking $50AUD / $33 USD

The video on the ad I noticed the models left hand holding the cutter down &  firmly pushing a cabbage through  while her other hand turned the handle.

I'm not really into gadgets as they take up too  much space 

443998-Large.jpg

OneEye
10 minutes ago, adiantum said:

Do you folk use a spiral cutter like this.... & is it worth the asking $50AUD / $33 USD

The video on the ad I noticed the models left hand holding the cutter down &  firmly pushing a cabbage through  while her other hand turned the handle.

I'm not really into gadgets as they take up too  much space 

443998-Large.jpg

If this item is made of steel and is covered in baked-on color...consider it. If any of it is plastic...take a pass.

adiantum

I wonder if they call plastic " durable material" .

Thanks... I'll take that pass.

Spiral Slicer features:

• Designed in Canada.
  • Crafted from stainless steel and durable materials.
  • BPA-free.
  • Anti-slip suction feet.
  • Dishwasher safe.
  • Blades are interchangeable and clip into the body for easy storage.
  • Presented in a Trudeau box.

Set Contains:

• Ribbon Cut blade.
  • Medium Spiral blade.
  • Small Spiral blade.

OneEye

Durable Material is what you say when it's not made of metal. The blades, they're metal...but you need everything to work as long as...or longer...than the blades.

I have a cutting machine. Bought it in 1985 for cutting french fries. Still works fine. I usually buy a 5 pound sack of potatoes a month. Figure about 9 potatoes a bag. That's 35 X 12 X 9...that's 3,780 potatoes and onions over 35 years. It's called a VEG-O-MATIC.

adiantum

I had one of those " chip/french fries cutters & gave it away when I started to de-clutter.

I gave many things away then & I'll have to move soon as the kitchen isn't functioning well.

adiantum

I also gave away 2 retro folding tray tables years ago.. Now I regret that because one would be ideal to keep in the car .

Theres one on ebay for $69 plus postage, where it can stay at that price.

9475d0fa6f01ae77c767853765a9d414.thumb.jpg.6cc6ce1aec302dc2e4e924fd46dc4144.jpg

Edited by adiantum

Hammer
16 hours ago, adiantum said:

I also gave away 2 retro folding tray tables years ago.. Now I regret that because one would be ideal to keep in the car .

Theres one on ebay for $69 plus postage, where it can stay at that price.

9475d0fa6f01ae77c767853765a9d414.thumb.jpg.6cc6ce1aec302dc2e4e924fd46dc4144.jpg

Lee, does it have to be retro?  If not, then Google TV trays and see what's available in your area.  I just Googled it and I found a TV tray that folds and is made of wood for about $8, and a TV tray that has a wooden top, and metal legs for under $20.  Of course, they are not retro, but at least they are functional.

adiantum

Thanks Hammer.. I didnt use the right search word... TV!!!

No I dont need retro, just a tray table to keep in the boot/trunk  with my fold up chair.

I started thinking of it when evacuations were taking place because of fire & the recent floods.

I quickly  packed the car with emergency supplies of water, batteries, rugs etc & plan to do a comprehensive pack later.

When I go house hunting ,I might sleep in the car 1 or 2 nights so that table will be ideal to sit my coffee on.

I ordered a wooden one yesterday but I doubt it will cope with the travel , so a metal stand  will be preferable.

I also bought a lightweight collapsible hand truck in case i set up away from the car so I dont need to carry heaps .

The boy drinks a lot of water & that gets heavy to carry.

Thanks to you, I looked further & found this ,so will order it later.

Foldaway Table_FAWAY_0

These are what I ordered yesterday.

BP80473568-green.jpg-SPOTWF-thumbnail?co
BP80471439-natural.jpg-SPOTWF-thumbnail?

adiantum

I didnt think very hard at all..

theres a metal folding table with a resin tray less then $25 & in walking distance at the local hardware store.