Jump to content
Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

Recommended Posts

Hammer

I just ordered a handful of custom made bumper stickers that I thought a good friend of mine might like to have.  He lives in Maryland, but he also recently bought a house on 20 acres in Virginia.  He loves going to his house in Virginia, so I thought that he'd like to have some of these bumper stickers on his vehicles when he visits his home in Virginia, since we both have a warped sense of humor.  The bumper stickers say this:

 

IF YOU CAN READ THIS

YOU AREN'T FROM HERE

 

For those of you who live in the US, I think that you'll understand the connection.😊

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer
36 minutes ago, Hammer said:

  These are similar to the type of traps that I have.  

 I just realized that the link that I have in this post, is for rat traps.  The traps that I have are for mice, so, my bad.  I should have read the description better.  I only linked to those traps because they looked identical to the traps that I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

Hammer while looking online for images of the traps Ive been trying , I came upon the review & saw that its not just me with the problem.

Some traps are too sensitive or not sensitive at all.

This review addresses the issue in a helpful manner, so I'll try again.

Best trap I ever used

 
published 2 years ago

Read a couple of negative reviews and I understand exactly what happened. Some of these traps are too sensitive, others not sensitive enough. The solution is quite simple. If it is too sensitive, use super glue to glue a small weight (test to see how heavy a weight is needed before glueing) on top of the rear flap. If not sensitive enough, cut some short strips of cardboard (from breakfast cereal packet etc and again test how many needed) to glue underneath the rear flap to hold it a little higher which increases the sensitivity. So easy to set - my wife or grandchildren can set them without fear of getting a finger caught. We catch at present up to 13 mice per night - 90% in these traps, 10% in the old wooden ones which I also use. They are just super. Hope my comments help you.

 

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/safe-n-sure-mouse-trap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer

So, for those of you in the US who are into American football, I see that Tom Brady left the Patriots and signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  After this past season, I thought that Brady should have retired, but, I guess he feels like he still has a few more seasons left in him.  Once he sees that the Buccaneers don't have the offensive line that the Patriots had, to protect him when he drops back to pass, he'll probably retire after this year.  At his age, he can't take many hits when he drops back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meyery2k
On 3/21/2020 at 8:11 AM, adiantum said:

Cats arnt the answer...they can live 20 years & I dont plan on staying that long.

 

They don't get mice when humans spoil them anyways lol....  They give you an annoyed, "are you going to do something?", look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
don1942
15 hours ago, Hammer said:

So, for those of you in the US who are into American football, I see that Tom Brady left the Patriots and signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  After this past season, I thought that Brady should have retired, but, I guess he feels like he still has a few more seasons left in him.  Once he sees that the Buccaneers don't have the offensive line that the Patriots had, to protect him when he drops back to pass, he'll probably retire after this year.  At his age, he can't take many hits when he drops back.

His $50 million plus incentives contract covers two years so I seriously doubt he will retire after one year and leave $25 million on the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer
9 hours ago, don1942 said:

His $50 million plus incentives contract covers two years so I seriously doubt he will retire after one year and leave $25 million on the table.

Well, considering that's he's worth $200 million already, if he gets hurt next season, he might decide that that extra $25 million isn't worth risking more injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer

I was going to post this in the Photo Club thread, since I know we have some great photographers here that could benefit from this, but I see that that thread is now closed.  I just came across this software program, and I'm amazed at what it can do.  I already have a program that can enlarge photos, it's called On1 Resize, and I have used it in the past.  It uses fractal algorithms to enlarge photos, and it does a so-so job.  I just compared an On1 Resized enlarged photo, to the same photo enlarged using Topaz Labs Gigapixel Ai software.  What a difference!  Gigapixel uses artificial intelligence to enlarge photos, and not only does it enlarge the photo, it actually sharpens the photo, so that the end result is an enlarged photo that is sharper than the original.  I never thought that was possible.  I ended up buying their bundle of Gigapixel Ai, JPEG to RAW, Sharpen Ai, and DeNoise Ai programs. (I haven't played with the other three programs yet, but I opted to get them, since the bundle was on sale.)  They have a free trial version that is fully functional, in case anyone wants to try it.

 

I know I will be able to use their Gigapixel Ai program, because I frequently download photos from the internet, and most of the time, they are small, and not so sharp.  This program should eliminate the enlargement issues I have with photos like that.  I don't know if these three pictures are too large to post here, but I'll try to post them so that you can see the difference.  I grabbed this photo of Jane Fonda off of the internet.

 

ORIGINAL

original.jpg

 

 

ON1 RESIZE ENLARGED 600%

On1 Resize.jpg

 

 

TOPAZ LABS GIGAPIXEL Ai ENLARGED 600%

Topax Ai.jpg

Edited by Hammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ran23

Door bell rang today, bags (2) of groceries at my door.   Lucky to get the lady delivering it.   not mine.  frozen dinners on top.  do wonder what else was in it.   She didn't have a name attached, just my address.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

I had a day in public. I thought it wise to fill the petrol tank  before corona gets prolific within the neighbourhood.

I filled my hands with sanitizer before & after  operating the pump. On my way back to the car I noticed  the other driver sanitizing her hands also.

We were the only two at that service station which is weird  & on a Friday.

 

Drove past lots of closed shops.

 

An independent grocery store was open but their  carpark was too full for my liking.

I'd like to find a fruit & veg store but theres corona locally so I'd rather go out of town.

Trying to avoid  districts were global travelers are likely to be. 

 

My boy enjoyed his park visit. I cant guarantee him a daily visit anymore. We were the only ones in the park today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

Ran,I believe  those groceries were meant for you as a random act of kindness. Its happening around the world.

 

Theres nice people out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

My dog told me we have mice in 3 rooms & he cant get to them because of the packet boxes in his way.

I cant get the traps to work,well theyve been sprung so I dont know if the mouse escaped .

I put baits out last night & am feeling guilty for doing so.

The thought of the agony  they will suffer over it has me feeling shame.

The baits are old so maybe they wont work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

These thieves will be ridicluded for many years o come after this theft of toilet paper..

"A Sydney man is due to face court accused of stealing hundreds of rolls of toilet paper from supermarket storage areas.

The 30-year-old man was arrested in Lidcombe on Friday afternoon after a vehicle stop.

 

Police will allege he and another man stole about 400 rolls of toilet paper from restricted storage areas at stores in Auburn and Granville last Sunday.

The pair also allegedly went to stores at Bass Hill and Lidcombe with intent to steal.

 

Further arrests are expected, police said.

Supermarkets have been strictly limiting how many packs of toilet rolls customers can buy during the COVID-19 pandemic after anxious shoppers began stocking up on the product, leaving shelves bare.

NSW Police Minister David Elliott congratulated police on the arrest.

"At this time of crisis, it only takes one fool to cause a high level of unnecessary community anxiety," he said in a statement.

The Auburn man is due to face the Parramatta Local Court via video link on Saturday charged with two counts of larceny, robbery in company, break and enter with intent, and entering enclosed land without lawful excuse.

 

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/6701220/man-accused-of-swiping-400-toilet-rolls/?cs=7&utm_source=website&utm_medium=index&utm_campaign=sidebar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer

Lee, instead of hand sanitizer, why not do like I do and use disposable polyethylene gloves?  I use them when I fill my car with diesel fuel, because diesel fuel has a strong odor, and it takes a while to try and wash it off of your hands.  These gloves are supposed to be used when handling food, but they can be used for a variety of things, then, once you've used them, you just throw them away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

gloves are a much better option but  I dont know where  I  put the box of them & the panic shoppers have stripped the stores of every last box.

The last time I used them was to spray chemicals on the garden but I dont know where I put them after that. 

surely I didnt pack them :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

I'll do that when I find them.

Years ago I used to drive into the country early Sunday mornings.

There was always  dead animals on the road & to prevent other animals feeding upon them I'd  move them off the road.

Thats when gloves & a shovel was kept in the car at all times  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TX_Clint
On 3/26/2020 at 3:45 AM, Hammer said:

I was going to post this in the Photo Club thread, since I know we have some great photographers here that could benefit from this, but I see that that thread is now closed.  I just came across this software program, and I'm amazed at what it can do.  I already have a program that can enlarge photos, it's called On1 Resize, and I have used it in the past.  It uses fractal algorithms to enlarge photos, and it does a so-so job.  I just compared an On1 Resized enlarged photo, to the same photo enlarged using Topaz Labs Gigapixel Ai software.  What a difference!  Gigapixel uses artificial intelligence to enlarge photos, and not only does it enlarge the photo, it actually sharpens the photo, so that the end result is an enlarged photo that is sharper than the original.  I never thought that was possible.  I ended up buying their bundle of Gigapixel Ai, JPEG to RAW, Sharpen Ai, and DeNoise Ai programs. (I haven't played with the other three programs yet, but I opted to get them, since the bundle was on sale.)  They have a free trial version that is fully functional, in case anyone wants to try it.

 

I know I will be able to use their Gigapixel Ai program, because I frequently download photos from the internet, and most of the time, they are small, and not so sharp.  This program should eliminate the enlargement issues I have with photos like that.  I don't know if these three pictures are too large to post here, but I'll try to post them so that you can see the difference.  I grabbed this photo of Jane Fonda off of the internet.

 

ORIGINAL

original.jpg

 

 

ON1 RESIZE ENLARGED 600%

On1 Resize.jpg

 

 

TOPAZ LABS GIGAPIXEL Ai ENLARGED 600%

Topax Ai.jpg

Of all the photos you could have picked. I get offended every time I see this image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meyery2k

@TX_Clint - My Dad would smash the monitor by now probably.

 

Human nature, especially my own fascinates me.  Safeway, a large regional grocery chain, has $5 Fridays where some items are reduced to $5.  There can be some great deals.  A large bottle of Dawn was the prize for me.  I went, got there at 6AM when they opened.  Waited in the store limit line, got inside, and they were out.  Normally Safeway would offer a raincheck but that is suspended during the pandemic.  I hunched down, and way in the back, were 2 bottles.  I intended to get 2 and my lucky me greed factor kicked in.  I really only need 1.  I grabbed the 2, then put 1 back so one other person could have a fortunate find like I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ran23

Albertson's seems to be part of Safeway, I shop their sales on Fridays also, close by.  

Lee,   that delivery was from Fred Meyer (Kroger's)  when she finds the address, she marks it delivered and it deletes.  no way to double check.  I can't believe there is not a order # or something on the bags.     life, so much fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

I'm grateful my online grocery store exhibits loyalty & offered me, a regular customer,  delivery of basic groceries which should be here tomorrow.

They said eventually they will offer it to the general public.

Its been 3 weeks since my last order & in that I had 3 pkts TP, so I didnt put any on this new order.

Now I wonder if they will assume I was a TP hoarder, so will put 1 pkt on my next order & give it to the woman next door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

I heard on the radio an interview with a journalist in Spain on the isolation rules theyre experiencing.

Walking the dog for its exercise  is permitted but some people are taking that too far.

Police were called  when someone noticed the same dog being walked throughout the day but with a different human.

A man was charging 2 euros hire of his dog. I'm sure the dog loved it :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
don1942
10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Lee, I keep a box of them in my car, that way, they are there when I need to fill up my gas tank.

In New Jersey, it’s against the law to pump your own gas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

almost at Mother Hubbard stage & found a can of tuna & a can cream of celery soup in the back of the pantry.

Drained the tuna..mixed it with the soup..poured it over the last of the zucchini & topped it with cheese.

yummy!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammer
10 hours ago, don1942 said:

In New Jersey, it’s against the law to pump your own gas. 

Most of the gas stations in Pennsylvania are self serve....you HAVE to  pump your own gas.  Why won't New Jersey allow you to pump your own gas?  It isn't brain surgery.  Heck, when my daughter was a young teenager, she asked me if she could pump the gas for me, so I let her.  There are times when, while I'm filling my tank, I'll grab the squeegee/sponge and clean off my windows, and sometimes, I'd check my oil.  I don't want someone else doing those things, I want to do it myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.