Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

Hammer

Mike, that looks pretty series.  I'm glad that it didn't result in a catastrophe.  I'm just curious, but do they make a chain guard to prevent that, among other things?  I know that as a kid, all of my bikes had a chain guard to prevent your jeans/pants from getting caught in the chain.

When I first got married, I was working as a service technician, so I needed my car for work.  Since I didn't have a lot of extra money, I had to save up to get new tires for my car, which I badly needed.  I was glad when I finally had enough money for the new tires, because the old tires on my car were so bald that you could see the air in them.

meyery2k

They do have guards to keep your pants clear but, on these kinds of bikes, you usually don't wear loose clothes to keep from getting snagged on stuff.  Also, if you are super into it (I am not quite this bad) loose clothes slow you down due to aero resistance.

What probably happened is a rock or stick got kicked into the derailleur cage (the "s" part) and your leg strength is enough to tear apart the mechanism when that happens.  There is a hangar that is designed to sacrifice itself when this happens so you don't bend or break the frame.  If the bike is steel frame then the frame is usually repairable.  Carbon fiber or aluminum, generally not.  The frame is the soul of the bike so a lost frame means a lost bike.

A bearing in the mechanism may have just seized up due to all the distance on time on it.

It looks worse than it is.  It is considered a part of the sport.  It is considered a minor repair but some time is needed to set the shifting right on the new derailleur and the bike needs a good tear down, lube, and build up so it will be in the shop a few days.

buddy7

So sad to hear Mike you've had an unfortunate mishap and you're safe after that experience, one can only hope you're well and fit again to ride.

meyery2k

@buddy7 - Thank you for the kind words.  I somehow managed to stop safely and not fall.  There will just be some damage to my wallet.  That bike needed a good tune up anyway so this was a perfect reason to get it done.  I have been avoiding the tuneup because of COVID.  Reason being that I didn't want to go into the shop unnecessarily and potentially get them sick.  It is part of the sport and the techs at the shop didn't even bat an eye at it.

adiantum

Its a pleasure & responsibilty to share space with the wildlife.

I buy meat , fruit & seeds to treat the critters & grow plants they enjoy...but wish I had cameras.

This article is great..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-27/chunk-the-groundhog-gardening-wildlife-steal-fruit-vegetables/12360190

adiantum

sewerage pipes are blocking up because people are flushing wipes & facial tissues.

Facial tissues are only meant  to fall apart in the washing machine especially if its a load of black items.

Flushable wipes are not flushable.

Now we get regular ads on tv to respect the throne.

Respect_the_throne_001.jpg?auto=compress

Respect the throne

Our pipes are having issues with your wipes, 

paper towels and tissues. Help keep the pipes free. Only flush toilet paper, poo or pee! Wiping ANYTHING else?

Bag it in the bin.

don1942

A plumber once told me that Scott tissue is the most friendly TP because it is the easiest to disintegrate.

Hammer

Most brands of toilet paper will have listed on the packaging whether they are safe for septic tanks.  I had read that it's not a good idea to use paper towels for toilet paper as they don't disintegrate when they are flushed, but I disagree.  If you buy the cheapest store brand of paper towels, they fall apart when you get them wet, which is why you need so many to dry off your hands, or to wipe up a spill.  If they fall apart when they get wet, then flushing them should cause them to fall apart also, but if you are forced to use these cheap paper towels, flush the toilet 4 or 5 times, just to make sure that they get washed down the pipes.

adiantum

That  is what has caused the city isues with blocked drains...

28 minutes ago, Hammer said:

but if you are forced to use these cheap paper towels, flush.......................

The panic buying had many  people unable to buy toilet paper so they used paper towels , facial tissues & so called flushable wipes.

Thus prompting the slogan.. wiping (with) anything else? Bag it in the bin.

Hammer
3 hours ago, adiantum said:

That  is what has caused the city isues with blocked drains...

The panic buying had many  people unable to buy toilet paper so they used paper towels , facial tissues & so called flushable wipes.

Thus prompting the slogan.. wiping (with) anything else? Bag it in the bin.

Lee, they had a similar ad over here...don't flush paper towels as they can clog up your pipes.  I think that now that toilet paper is more readily available, since people are buying less of it, that this is the time to stock up on it.  By that I mean, every time you are in the grocery store, buy one pack of toilet paper, even if you don't need it.  By buying just one pack, you aren't depleting the shelves of it, and by buying one pack of it a week, you can build up a good supply of it.  While you may not need it, it's always a good idea to have that supply, since you never know if they will have another lock down if the COVID-19 resurfaces.  I think that if they had a resurgence of COVID-19, and they tried to impose another lock down over here, most businesses would ignore it, since those businesses that survived the first lock down, couldn't survive a second lock down.  While that may sound irresponsible to some people, I agree with what a woman said here who owns a small restaurant.  She said that, she will stay open, and if people are afraid to dine out because of COVID-19, then stay home, but if you want to come here to dine in, then we will be open.  It should be the citizen's choice whether or not to stay home or go out, not the government's.  Hopefully, we will have a vaccine before anything happens, so a lock down wouldn't be necessary..

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

It makes me wonder if such business people would feel regrets should such complacency result in culling.

I believe we all must take precautions without full hope on a vaccine. I cant tolerate the flu vac so its likely I'd not cope with the corona vaccine.

Would such a vaccine be available free to all American citizens or just those with health insurance?

adiantum

That dumped toilet paper is not the property of the tradies .......they  are stealing it.

Its sad that people become opportunitists   but surely the owner should be charged for illegal dumping.

meyery2k
6 hours ago, adiantum said:

I sometimes click on whos online as lurkers find some great posts within the archives.

This one.....

post-24659-0-36966400-1401926407_thumb.jpg

Inconceivable