Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

Dowling

Hammer you are opening up a can of worms. Politics is explosive especially where Donald Trump is concerned. People have strong feelings about him either for or against. You don't want to start a war of words here. Please write a post asking people not to respond. I'm only trying to help you by saying this!

Hammer

Dowling, I am not trying to open a can of worms here, I just wanted people to know that he has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, that's all.  I don't want to get into politics, because that's frowned upon here.  I was just trying to inform those that didn't know, that he was nominated for a Nobel Peace prize, which I feel that he rightly deserves.  Whether you like him or hate him, his accomplishments have earned him the right to be nominated for this award.  I have not mentioned his name, because I know that a lot of people don't like him, and while I don't understand why they don't like him, I don't want to add fuel to their hatred of him, so I won't mention his name, since that is taboo here in the forums.  I don't want to create controversy here, I just wanted to inform everyone what is happening with the Nobel Peace Prize, that's all. 

meyery2k

This discussion about a Nobel Prize nominee should be ended here in Daily Chat.  This topic can be opened in a new thread and members can choose to follow, comment, or not follow as they wish.  Daily Chat doesn't really give that option. Thank you.  

Hammer

Sorry if my post was placed in the wrong forum Mike.  I have no other comments about it, I just wanted to make people aware of it, not start a new thread about it.  A thread about it would most likely generate political comments, and those types of comments are forbidden here, which is why I thought that it would be okay to just inform people about it in this thread.  That's why I didn't mention his name, I just posted a link to a news article.  I didn't want to start a discussion about him or the Nobel Peace Prize, I just thought that it was an interesting article that some might have found to be interesting.

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

Take care Ran.

I must search for the air purifyer before our summer fires return.

Last summer I had to use ventolin & wear a mask when the smoke was thick.

I also experienced chest pains over the weeks.

adiantum

I'm amazed at  how keen a dogs vision & memory are.

Theres 2 dogs I often see in the park & have a dried liver treat for them.

Now they see me from a great distance & run the full length of the park to get to me.

I just realised that they can even identify the car. Most cars here are white, yet they still identified mine.

I was just approaching a roundabout which they'd been walked over & were still on the centre island, when they both pulled on their leashes to get to my car. Luckily its a quiet area mostly used by park visitiors so they'd have empathy while waiting for the dogs to get their liver treats.

Surely its the cars image & that it doesnt smell of dogs & dried liver.

Hammer
5 hours ago, adiantum said:

Take care Ran.

I must search for the air purifyer before our summer fires return.

Last summer I had to use ventolin & wear a mask when the smoke was thick.

I also experienced chest pains over the weeks.

Lee, I have one of these purifiers, and they do a great job.  It has two filters....a HEPA filter, and a dust filter.  I keep it in my bedroom, since that's where I seem to get the most breathing issues with the air.  I don't know if they offer these filter systems where you live, but if they do, I'd recommend that you get one.  They are not cheap, but my health is worth the money.

janice21475
9 hours ago, adiantum said:

Surely its the cars image & that it doesnt smell of dogs & dried liver.

My dogs think smelly dogs & dried liver are the 'cat's meow.' :)

I would like to have been there to witness the event.

adiantum

Dried liver must be pretty good ,even the memory of just one treat stays with a dog for a long time.

A few "new " dogs have approached me with great enthusiasm leaving me confused until their human says Ive given them a treat before.

I buy it each few months in Kg/2 pound bags from a pet store not supermarkets nasty stuff.

Animals know a lot more then we give them credit for.

Yesterdays dogs recognised my car  in transit, away from where it gets parked where they wouldve seen it.

I dont believe birds recognise the car but they certainly recognise my dog.

I can sit in the car with the dog & not a bird can be seen, but as soon as my dog gets out birds come from many directions  & surround me & the car.

When our drought was seriously affecting the insect population I started taking ground beef to feed a lone Magpie that had chicks in the nest & no partner to help.

It was lovely to see her bring her chicks when they could fly. Then an orphan Magpie chick joined them from a distance..

then 2 pied butcherbirds & a couple of noisy miners would pick up the crumbs. 

The original mother Magpie has since passed & I assume its one of her chicks that now has his own family.

So, soon after the dog climbs over me  & gets out of the car , there must be 20 birds surrounding us waiting for food.

I'm sure they dont see it as meals on wheels, but  that a little black dog delivers food.

adiantum
33 minutes ago, adiantum said:

https://www.chonday.com/16478/bsutytranpl3/

This video is worth taking time out, watch, think..make plans

This is Beautiful, Dog and Man

Dogs are so wonderful and amazing. This brilliant public service announcement video was created for the Argentine Institute of Liver Transplantation. It’s true, a dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

adiantum

Lachanophobia ....lets hope none of us here have this phobia.

Lachanophobia (from Greek lachaniko, meaning "vegetable") is the fear of vegetables.

A phobic person might have been forced to eat vegetables as a child even if he did not like the taste and was maybe even gotten punished for not eating his or her vegetables.

source: wiki

adiantum

Maybe my moaning belongs in the bananas thread but it feels more like a moan to me.

I see a new recipe & salivate at the thought of it..until I notice the ingredients arnt available here.

Apple pie spice?.. I guess it includes cinnamon & cloves but what else.

Apple extract........... wow that sounds great.

So, there'll be no low carb apple cheesecake for me.

https://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/low-carb-caramel-apple-cheesecake-bars/

ran23

Air is 175, guess I will skip my morning walk.  that or tape a face mask on. 

adiantum

Thanks for the spice combo Mike. 

I'll try that in an apple muffin.

I buy 2Kg apples most weeks  to feed the wild lorikeetes, so they might have to share so I can grate half for a muffin.

now for the apple extract so I can have that cheesecake :D

Edited by adiantum

meyery2k

Tomorrow should be a fun day.  Going to bake a beef stew in a pumpkin.  I cut the top off, remove the guts and seeds, and use the pumpkin as a stew pot.  My daughter loves this so, I guess, it is a fall tradition.

meyery2k

The irony of apple pie spice is that it seems to cost 3 times as much than if I just made it myself lol...

adiantum

As like that  beef stew , I used to make a meat loaf in the pumpkins hollow.

Ive baked an egg  custard in one & that was yum.

I was surprised of the 5g carb content in that spice mix.

meyery2k
24 minutes ago, adiantum said:

I was surprised of the 5g carb content in that spice mix.

Yeah and 30 calories?  That can't be right.  Also I can't imagine eating a tablespoon of that in one sitting!  I wonder if the recipe had sugar in it and the poster just removed the reference?

Dowling
2 hours ago, meyery2k said:

Yeah and 30 calories?  That can't be right.  Also I can't imagine eating a tablespoon of that in one sitting!  I wonder if the recipe had sugar in it and the poster just removed the reference?

Surprisingly there are carbs and calories in spices. That calorie count is right but the carb count is more like 6.8. However you are getting very little in 1 serving. I never looked at the servings but most recipes can be divided into 6 pieces and that would only give you a little over 1 carb and 5 calories.

The cardamom Is not really necessary so if you eliminated it it would mean less carbs

meyery2k

That makes sense with that explanation.  Like you said, such a small quantity is consumed.

meyery2k

Well today has been a strange day.  I took the day off to take care of some things.  Started off early with a short bike ride.  There is a collar that clamps the seat post sleeve of the frame onto the seat post.  Apparently, time and mileage, did in the bolt.  The seat slowly sank into the frame.  Nothing dangerous.  Mostly comical as the seat is now way too low for me so I ride home looking like a clown and take my other bike.  

I manage a unit for my friend and I was in there doing a small repair.  Very pleasant lady.  She is challenging as she seems to be a bit anxious about dirt and germs but we get on well.  She got a phone call while I was working and she then came in with her shirt over her face.  I didn't have a mask as she trusts me for some reason.  She is visibly upset and I immediately offer to get my mask.  I thought I was the source of her anxiety.  I come back in and she explains she just got the result of her COVID test and it was positive.  This is the first person I know that has tested positive.  No symptoms so far.  I tried to comfort her and suggested that it could be a false positive.  Obviously we can't assume that.  She is 78 years old and seems a bit lonely.  She was upset about how she would get shopping or medicine, so living nearby, I offered to shop for her as needed.  It is only for 10 days.  She was worried about our "manager"/"resident" relationship.  I explained that, I put that aside for now.  She is someone I know that needs help and I can offer it.  That seemed to help some.  She was fretting about getting Vitamin C and D.  She wanted a specific brand and bottle size.  I have learned that she needs to get exactly what she asks for or she gets very anxious.  I found them at Target and, seeing how expensive they are, got them for her as a get well gift.  She is on County Housing so I know every little bit will help her.

I even visited with her through the door a bit.  Explained that I was not afraid of her.  It was circumstance that she got it.  We will probably all get exposed to it and I will help her where and when I can.  I think the true measure of humanity is our reaction to helping.

So I now need to do a COVID test on my list of things to do.