Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

Dowling

Yes mike you do need to get a covid test and perhaps another one a couple of days later. She may have been at her most contagious state. Apparently that is about 3 days after contracting the disease and before you show symptoms. You both should wear masks and avoid close contact when you check on her. I'm not saying you have to abandon her but only do what you have to do to keep yourself safe.

Men like you deserve an award or at least a round of applause:congrats:. I too have a generous guy living next door to me so I'm going to tell you what it means to me. It means that I don't have to look for someone and pay them to do the little things that crop up that I can't or don't have the knowledge or strength to do. It means a cheerful helping hand that makes life easier for me. It means that I'm not alone and someone is looking out for me. He never intrudes but if he sees something he will do it without my asking. Case in point--I had 2 damaged cedar trees cut down in my front yard. There were 35 years of dead needles under those trees. I raked them up and filled 6 large yard waste bags with them and left them there. They were too heavy for me to carry to the curb for pick-up. I was tired and thought I'd get out my garden cart the next day and move them. To my surprise the next day they were sitting at the curb. My neighbour says that he wasn't able to take care of his mother and neighbours of hers did what he does for me so he's just paying it forward. Isn't it wonderful how acts of kindness carry on and wouldn't it be great if everyone did that

meyery2k

Thanks @Dowling - I confess to being human and am concerned about COVID but it is not her fault.  If it wasn't now, it would be another time.

adiantum

I'm avoiding it like the plague ................Hmmm I think Ive heard that somewhere before :D

So, I dont get my hair cut anymore so have to wear a ponytail.

I dont have friends visit  &  tradies stay outdoors.

I do all my shopping online.

A very dear friend from Tasmania will be here in Sydney next week & it really bothers me that Ive opted for no visit from her.

We chat online most days & Ive not seen her in months , but I'm not to know if others on her plane , nor those at the car hire company etc are all covid free.

I know its my loss & that she gives great hugs but I've got a dog thats totally dependant upon me.

Yet..I'd throw caution to the breeze ( not to the wind ) if someone was in trouble.

So I know where your coming from Mike, but please take as much precaution as possible... we all need you.

meyery2k

Thanks Lee...

Another up/down.  I made stew in a pumpkin and it turned out great.  My daughter was anticipating this all week.  Everything turned out perfect.  In the middle of dinner her husband calls her telling her he wants a divorce.  One day at a time I guess...

meyery2k
24 minutes ago, adiantum said:

So I know where your coming from Mike, but please take as much precaution as possible... we all need you.

Thanks Lee.  I appreciate the sentiment.  A lot going on but I know I don't shoulder the burdens alone.

adiantum

Hugs to both you & Carla.

I often recall Queen Elizabeth declare 1992  as her annus horribilis..

She survived it & I know you both will also.

meyery2k

For the COVID, I was interviewed by the health department. I don't have to quarantine since I was in a different room and there less than 15 minutes fixing a light but I was asked to exercise increased vigilance. Stay out of groups, only go to store as needed. For the most part, I do that anyway. 

buddy7
8 hours ago, meyery2k said:

For the COVID, I was interviewed by the health department. I don't have to quarantine since I was in a different room and there less than 15 minutes fixing a light but I was asked to exercise increased vigilance. Stay out of groups, only go to store as needed. For the most part, I do that anyway. 

Mike, I’m very sorry to hear at the moment you have a few issues on your plate, my sincere wish all will pan out for the better, wish you all the best.
So pleased you never had to be quarantined.

Hammer

These prices keep amazing me.  I just got a sales flyer from Wal-Mart, and in it, they have a 55 inch, UHD (Ultra High Definition), 4K Smart TV on sale for $148.  I remember when the first 42 inch plasma TVs came out...they cost $10,000.😊  Before you know it, they'll be giving these TV sets away free with a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Edited by Hammer

adiantum

Movember is in full swing with some very hairy upperlips in the neighborhood.

Movember fundraisers are a global community of fired up Mo Bros and Mo Sisters – aka rock stars making a difference in mental health and suicide prevention, prostate cancer and testicular cancer.

It's great that theres an emphasis on mens health.

Goulburn is a rural city in NSW & known for being Merino sheep country.

Their tourist icon is a huge merino sheep which is great for those passing by , but those that live behind it are reminded of its masculine status.

To promote testicular cancer awareness.. the big boy gets a colour job.

I dont know why but men seem to gather at the back for their photos.

452_The-Big-Merino-Goulburn-Australia.jpg

Blue Balls.jpg

buddy7
On 11/11/2020 at 3:55 AM, Hammer said:

These prices keep amazing me.  I just got a sales flyer from Wal-Mart, and in it, they have a 55 inch, UHD (Ultra High Definition), 4K Smart TV on sale for $148.  I remember when the first 42 inch plasma TVs came out...they cost $10,000.😊  Before you know it, they'll be giving these TV sets away free with a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Can recall when I first bought my first 55 inch Samsung HD smarts TV, paid £660 for it which was a lot of money at that time, Plasma TVs at the time was over £1000. Now you can walk into most supermarkets where things in the electronic department are much cheaper and affordable, nowadays I only buy my electricals from my supermarket store, where you can get most brands, and often get a better bargain.

The problem today most electrical products/models changes every 3-6 months a new model comes out on the market, so if you have the money you’re constantly upgrading. I don’t know about given them away, but you’ll certainly get better deals.

adiantum

I remember the  55inch tv I got & realised it showed too many blemishes that were hidden in the times gone by.

I noticed the much loved Elizabeth Montgomery of Bewitched  had fill / bog in the small gap between her front teeth. 

On 11/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, Hammer said:

These prices keep amazing me.  I just got a sales flyer from Wal-Mart, and in it, they have a 55 inch, UHD (Ultra High Definition), 4K Smart TV on sale for $148. 

On topic in another thread, I am reminded of her passing because of colon cancer.

A neighbour said he goes for a colonoscopy on Monday so he must've got a positive in his poo test.

How it came about was when we were chatting yesterday, when I complained about the intense sunlight we were experiencing.

He assured me it will be will be worse for us on Monday, when a burst of sunlight will appear when he has to bend for the colonoscopy.

Dowling

All this talk of Tv's has me remembering it's early days. I remember our first TV. A dinky black and white TV in a big cabinet. It was 1952. The screen was about18 inches and It only had programs in the evening and went to a test pattern at 10 or 11 PM. I was living with my grandparents and a slew of Aunts and Uncles who were all working. In those days Children remained at home until they married. My aunts and uncles bought the TV. We were the first ones in our neighbourhood to own a TV. They were too expensive for the average family to go out and buy one unless they saved for it. Most people then didn't buy on credit in those days. We all thought that TV was a marvel. I remember1 Aunt remarked that someday we'd have movies in our homes and how everyone poo-pawed that Idea.

It's amazing to think how far technology has come in my lifetime and how things have changed. Some things are better but some things are worse too

Hammer

The first TV that I owned when I got married was a TV that my wife's aunt gave us.  It was a 25 inch, portable, black and white TV.  The only reason that it was considered portable, was because it had a handle on top of it.  The cabinet was all metal, and of course, it used tubes.  The thing weighed a ton!

After I had this house built, we moved in and still used that old black and white TV.  After several years, I wanted to get a color TV, so I ordered one...a 19 inch Panasonic...from a local TV store, and hoped that it would come in by the time the first Space Shuttle landed...it did, and I got to watch the landing on my new color TV.  I used that Panasonic TV for years, but it was a bit hard to see when I placed it down in my basement family room.  I'd pick my daughter up on Sundays and keep her all day, and she liked to play her Nintendo games on it.  It was hard to see Mario and Luigi on it, so I saw a 35 inch TV (picture tube TV, not a flat panel, as they didn't have flat panels at that time), so I bought that, and set it up in my basement family room.  I think it weighed about 125 pounds, and the cabinet was huge!  I hooked my daughter's Nintendo game console up to it, so that it would be ready for her when I picked her up the next Sunday...she didn't know I got the new TV.  When she walked into the family room, the TV stuck out from the wall a really noticeable amount, but she didn't notice.  She started playing her Super Mario Brothers game, then she stopped the game and asked me if I got a new TV.  I was surprised that it took her that long to realize that.😊  At least now, I was able to easily see Mario and Luigi...

adiantum

Beautiful critters Hammer, much more stunning then the blue arsed flies that gathered on my dead twigs I'm using to create christmas decorations.

Every tip had a couple of blue arsed flies on it. There had to be over 100 of them.

Maybe they knew I was going to hang baubles there & tried to decorate it for me?

bespawlerbison
On 11/19/2020 at 7:59 PM, adiantum said:

Movember is in full swing with some very hairy upperlips in the neighborhood.

Movember fundraisers are a global community of fired up Mo Bros and Mo Sisters – aka rock stars making a difference in mental health and suicide prevention, prostate cancer and testicular cancer.

It's great that theres an emphasis on mens health.

Goulburn is a rural city in NSW & known for being Merino sheep country.

Their tourist icon is a huge merino sheep which is great for those passing by , but those that live behind it are reminded of its masculine status.

To promote testicular cancer awareness.. the big boy gets a colour job.

I dont know why but men seem to gather at the back for their photos.

452_The-Big-Merino-Goulburn-Australia.jpg

Blue Balls.jpg

Why was it colored blue? 🤣 Is it really that blueish down there?

adiantum

@bespawlerbison I  know nothing about testicles & even sent my dog to the vets to have his removed.

I did wonder about the blue..

Maybe the blue was simply to highlight the area promoted to testicular cancer awareness?

Goulburn is awfully cold, I remember  being there once when it was -7C / 19F & the wind was so strong I'm amazed  even that rams testicles wernt swaying .

I'm surprised he too wasnt sent to the vet, as residents behind him complained about the view they had from their back door & wanted him castrated.

adiantum

I bought a Masters combination lock today but theres no instructions on how to set a combination.

The label claims its " easy to set & reset".............but not for me aparently.

There was a lot of small print in the package but thats all to cover their warranty.

I checked youtube but could only find how to break into the code.

bespawlerbison
28 minutes ago, adiantum said:

@bespawlerbison I  know nothing about testicles & even sent my dog to the vets to have his removed.

I did wonder about the blue..

Maybe the blue was simply to highlight the area promoted to testicular cancer awareness?

Goulburn is awfully cold, I remember  being there once when it was -7C / 19F & the wind was so strong I'm amazed  even that rams testicles wernt swaying .

I'm surprised he too wasnt sent to the vet, as residents behind him complained about the view they had from their back door & wanted him castrated.

Omg, if you don't mind, may I know why you let your vet removed your dog's testicles? Is it just for birth control(if possible)?

Edited by bespawlerbison

adiantum

It eliminates the  sexual drive so we can go to the park & not have him trying to hump every dog he sees.

He is a companion dog not  for breeding

Hammer
4 hours ago, adiantum said:

I bought a Masters combination lock today but theres no instructions on how to set a combination.

The label claims its " easy to set & reset".............but not for me aparently.

There was a lot of small print in the package but thats all to cover their warranty.

I checked youtube but could only find how to break into the code.

Lee, when you buy a combination lock, the combination is attached to the back of the lock with a sticker.  If there is no sticker on the back of the lock, you should take the lock back to the store and ask for a new one.  Once you get the new one, open it up in the store to make sure that it has that sticker attached to the back.  The reason that they attach the combination sticker to the back, is because the back of the lock is hidden by the cardboard packing, so no one can copy it down in the store, then follow the person home to see where they use it.  If they placed the combination on the instruction sheet, they would have to print up a new instruction sheet for each lock with the combination in it.  By placing the sticker on the back of the lock, they can use the same instruction sheet for all of their locks.  Once you get the lock home, write down the combination on a piece of paper, and keep it in a safe place, then peel off the sticker.