Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

adiantum

Hammer, you are a treasure!!

No sticker but there was a tiny piece of very thin  paper which I thought was just packaging.

It was quite a discovery finding a 1" x 1/2" piece of folded paper in the bin.

Ill read it after Ive had a coffee. I get to set my own combination but now I wonder how safe they are.

I might go back to the store & get an expensive padlock & key after seeing  the videos on how to delock these in seconds.

Hammer
54 minutes ago, adiantum said:

Hammer, you are a treasure!!

No sticker but there was a tiny piece of very thin  paper which I thought was just packaging.

It was quite a discovery finding a 1" x 1/2" piece of folded paper in the bin.

Ill read it after Ive had a coffee. I get to set my own combination but now I wonder how safe they are.

I might go back to the store & get an expensive padlock & key after seeing  the videos on how to delock these in seconds.

The best padlock that I've seen, was one that my daughter's boyfriend at the time, had for his pop up camping trailer.  It had no combination, and no key hole.  It operated with a magnetic key.  You placed the key on the side of the padlock, and it opened the lock.  Apparently, the key was magnetized in certain areas along the length of the key, and those magnetized areas had to line up with the magnetic areas inside the side of the padlock.

The downside with padlocks is that you can break into one in a matter of seconds, regardless of what type it is.  All a person needs is a battery powered side grinder, and some thin cutting disks for the grinder.  With that, the person can cut off the lock in a matter of seconds.  I used pneumatic grinders like that at work, and I could cut through a 2 inch, heavy wall thickness, stainless steel pipe in about 1 minute.

adiantum

I just need to get my act together & sell this house & move .. the thought of moving is stressful but so is living next door to dishonest people or their guests.

They can pick locks it seems, but this padlock will give them a 3rd lock to pick & surely  thats enough to discourage them.

Cameras would be the only proof of their activities  but I dont have a smart phone so need one thats stored images on the computer.

adiantum

I've got so many locks now that I decided it was wise to put a locksmiths phone # in my cell phone :rofl:

Hammer
18 hours ago, adiantum said:

I just need to get my act together & sell this house & move .. the thought of moving is stressful but so is living next door to dishonest people or their guests.

They can pick locks it seems, but this padlock will give them a 3rd lock to pick & surely  thats enough to discourage them.

Cameras would be the only proof of their activities  but I dont have a smart phone so need one thats stored images on the computer.

Lee, I have a DVR and a camera that I use to keep an eye on my neighbor's house when he is away.  I bought this setup just for that purpose.  A DVR and camera are not very expensive, and the DVR that I have will record up to 9 days worth of high quality video, plus, it has a built in DVD recorder that allows me to transfer anything that is recorded on the DVR to a DVD.  Whenever my neighbor goes off camping for a three or four day weekend, I just place the camera under a second story storm window (the camera has a mounting bracket that I just wedge under a storm window), and turn on the DVR and record his property.  It works really well, so maybe that would be something that would interest you to record your neighbors stealing from you?

Hammer

I just received a steam cleaner that I ordered, and I'm supposed to receive a rechargeable, lithium battery jump starter (NOCO Boost HD GB70) today.  I ordered the jump starter because my VW Jetta has an old battery that has failed on cold winter months.  I wanted to get the battery replaced, but the VW dealer said that they require you to drop off your car, and come back later that day to pick it up.  Due to the coronavirus, they don't have a waiting area for you to wait in for the car.  This dealer is a 50 minute drive from my house, so if I can't wait for it, what do they expect me to do, try to walk home?  I also ordered a Sony Playstation 5, which I doubt that I'll get before Christmas.  I ordered this to give to my son-in-law as a Christmas gift, but they are sold out everywhere, so the odds of me getting it by Christmas are slim to none.

The steam cleaner that I ordered will hopefully do what I need it to do.  There are two things that I hope this unit will clean...my oven and my bathtub/shower.  My wife, well I think, never cleaned the oven.  It's a real mess, and even though I rarely use it, I still would like it to be clean, but I have tried various cleaners, and the only one that partially worked was ammonia.  I tried using straight ammonia to clean it, but the fumes were so strong that I had to stop.  Something like a steam cleaner will melt the grease, and hopefully will allow me to wipe it off.

As for the shower/tub, well, I have a well, and even though I have a whole house sediment filter on it, I still get this fine silt that sticks to the sides of the shower and tub.  I have tried numerous things to get it off, but I can't use anything that is abrasive, since it's a fiberglass tub/shower.  I checked, and this steamer is safe to use on fiberglass showers and tubs, so I'm hoping that it will remove the silt from the shower/tub.

Hammer

I canceled the order for the Sony Playstation because someone called me on the phone and said that they were having a problem charging me for the Playstation.  I used PayPal to pay for the Playstation, because I had never heard of this company.  The guy who called me had a very heavy Indian accent, and when I asked him where he himself was located, he said in California.  Once I heard that, I knew that he was lying, since American companies don't hire people with heavy, hard to understand, Indian accents to work their telephones.  I told him to just cancel the order, then I hung up.  If he thought that I would be stupid enough to give him a credit card number over the phone, then he was sadly mistaken.  When something sounds fishy to me, I just hang up, or walk away from it.

don1942

The Indian guy may have been a spammer trying to steel your personal info and had nothing to do with the PlayStation order.

Hammer
1 hour ago, don1942 said:

The Indian guy may have been a spammer trying to steel your personal info and had nothing to do with the PlayStation order.

Yes, I agree.  When someone calls me on the telephone, and says that the order that I placed can't be processed with the payment method that I chose (PayPal), and they need to verify the payment options, not to mention that the guy has a heavy Indian accent, sends up red flags on my part, so I just ignore the person, tell them to cancel the order, and go elsewhere for the item that I wanted.  Whenever I order something and use PayPal to pay for it, PayPal notifies me within seconds after I've placed the order.  In this case, it's been an hour, and I haven't heard a word from PayPal.  Also, the Sony Playstation is not available anywhere, so the fact that this place said that they had 10 units, seemed suspicious.  I didn't know that they had 10 units until the guy called me.  I guess he figured that he would entice me to give him my personal information, by stating that he has 10 units to sell.  I'm not that stupid.

adiantum

Theres some interesting small company businesses that should conquer a niche market if only they advertised.

A van was parked in this street a while back with hoses going into the nearby house. 

A sandwich board sign  on the foot path announcing " Domestic oven cleaning in progress" .

I've never seen that before. Googled them & the price is from $60

adiantum

I'll always regret not taking up the opportunity to visit Papua New Guinea. Its flora & fauna is  amazing.

Wild banana plants grow 15m / 50 ft tall  with beautiful red fruits. Landclearing is threatening it's existence.

photos by Sebastian Carpentier

PNG.jpg

bananas.jpg

adiantum

It's another reason to  value the world through e-travel , we get to see even places we didnt know existed.

Today I just found about Macquarie Island. It's the only place in the world where you can hike  upon the Eaths mantle.

It was formed when two techtonic plates met & pushed a 3 mile stretch of ocean crust and  Earths mantle to the surface.

https://www.environment.gov.au/heritage/places/world/macquarie-island

Macquarie Island.jpg

adiantum

I love the christmas season with all it's glitz & glammer & people taking a break from the covid blues.

It's too hot here now to do anything but jigsaws of christmas themes..baubles & the Northern snow scenes .

Then had an emergency dash  to rescue gifts ready to be wrapped & put them in the coolest room.

Its 40C / 104F  here  which is not a good temp for candles.. that wax melts & never resumes its shape.

I'd bought a limited edition candle for a friend that has everything, & I wouldve shed tears if that had melted as its not stored upright.

A beautiful perfume of caramel & vanilla. The two wicks when lit create warm air currents that rotate the carousel .

Shopping is so much more fun online.

image_8155753e-8996-4565-bc44-0767ff1f38ed_1024x1024.jpg

bespawlerbison
On 11/26/2020 at 3:24 PM, adiantum said:

It's another reason to  value the world through e-travel , we get to see even places we didnt know existed.

Today I just found about Macquarie Island. It's the only place in the world where you can hike  upon the Eaths mantle.

It was formed when two techtonic plates met & pushed a 3 mile stretch of ocean crust and  Earths mantle to the surface.

https://www.environment.gov.au/heritage/places/world/macquarie-island

Macquarie Island.jpg

It's a world heritage and strictly being protected. Were you given a chance to go there? 😯