Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

adiantum

I have reservations of mr beast. I realise he would be making mega dollars  from youtube,

but surely if someone had so much money to be rid of, they'd put it to good use .

Maybe  to give to a childs education .

It doesnt need to be advertised for the donors popularity, but  an anon gift to a school for a scholarship or just to give the school funds to buy a musical instrument or books.

2coolChess
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

Drat.. I cant respond with a " Buzz Off " as that sounds nasty instead of the humor which is intended.

( buzz buzz.. I hope you saw what I did there)

Mozzies are nasty  but the hexam grey is a pretty cool critter.

Of all the mozzies, it's the hexam grey that's the nastiest! Why in good lord they have to be that big? 😐 I can literally see their whole body composure when I see one. Ew.

Hammer

Lee, Mr. Beast does these things with the money that he gets from advertisers and sponsors of his videos.  The reason that he gets those sponsors and advertisers, is because he has more than 50 million subscribers, and he has that many subscribers because they like to watch him give away money.  If he were to donate money anonymously to a charity, no one would watch his videos, and he wouldn't be receiving any ad revenue.

adiantum

Long distance treveller.. A pigeon registered in Montgomery Alabama registered as "missing" arrived in Melbourne Australia.

Emaciated  yet tame, it returned daily for food. Did it hitchhike on the wind or find a shipping vessel & cruise down here.

https://7news.com.au/news/animals/racing-pigeon-tagged-for-alabama-in-the-us-turns-up-in-officer-backyard-in-melbourne-c-1948557

Hammer

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have to constantly clear my throat...so much so, that by the evening, I am practically hoarse.  I thought that it was because I was dehydrated, but I recently began to think that it might be due to acid reflux.  I bought a pack of Nexium, but when I got it home, I decided to look it up on the internet to find out if it might have any side effects.(I should have done that before I bought it.)  As it turns out, if you take it for more than 14 days, it can cause kidney damage, so I won't be taking that.

Further research showed a few natural remedies, one of which was taking apple cider vinegar, which I already have here, but haven't used in a while.   I took it yesterday, as well as this morning, and it works.  I have hardly had to clear my throat last night, as well as today, so it looks like I'll  be taking my apple cider vinegar from now on.😊

TX_Clint
1 hour ago, Hammer said:

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have to constantly clear my throat...so much so, that by the evening, I am practically hoarse.  I thought that it was because I was dehydrated, but I recently began to think that it might be due to acid reflux.  I bought a pack of Nexium, but when I got it home, I decided to look it up on the internet to find out if it might have any side effects.(I should have done that before I bought it.)  As it turns out, if you take it for more than 14 days, it can cause kidney damage, so I won't be taking that.

Further research showed a few natural remedies, one of which was taking apple cider vinegar, which I already have here, but haven't used in a while.   I took it yesterday, as well as this morning, and it works.  I have hardly had to clear my throat last night, as well as today, so it looks like I'll  be taking my apple cider vinegar from now on.😊

Sounds like mild allergies to me.

adiantum

I know you dont change your choice of  foods but perhaps theres a long term use allergy building up?

Maybe its those pre cooked  eggs as they  could have a preservative 

adiantum

I know its a simple task to boil an egg but an egg cooker is even better.

All you need to do is prick the egg, add water to the cooker & it will cook while you do your emails or have a shower etc.

No more standing over boiling pot of water while watching the clock.

The eggs are easy to peel. I've used an egg cooker well over 30 years & have never had a shell hard to peel.

Boiled eggs are handy to have on hand for snacks or quick meals like salads or curries etc.

don1942

Hard boiled eggs are one of my favorite night time snacks. We have an egg boiler it it works great. Unfortunately, we forget it is there and can go for a few weeks before we remember how easy and well it works.

Not as healthy, but I die for deviled eggs.

Dowling
4 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hammer it does sound like you have an allergy. Last summer you would have thought that I had laryngitis for a couple of weeks but it was allergies. I have bad allergies and I do take allergy pills (antihistamines).  I also use a saline nose spray and another allergy nose spray but I'm not advocating that you take all the things that I take. Try the saline nasal spray first morning and night. Make sure it's a spray and one with a long nozzle not one where you dump it in and it runs out. If you are still having problems go for the antihistamines.

When you have allergies it promotes extra nasal discharge. This will either clog up your nose or it will run or it will go down your throat or a little of each. Running down your throat can cause hoarseness or a sore throat because it irritates the throat. The saline spray is simply sterilized salt water. Salt has antiseptic properties that help dry up that extra mucus The spray will help much more than vinegar.  You can also gargle with salt water. I use this any time I have a sore throat. Put 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a cup and pour a little boiling water over it to dissolve the salt, then put enough cold water in to make it warm and gargle with it. You'd think it would sting but it actually soothes a sore throat

Edited by Dowling

TX_Clint

I take 10mg Cetirizine Hydrochloride every night before bed. It's a antihistamine commonly called Zyrtec. It's just enough to keep my sinus's clear and prevent drainage which will cause me a morning cough otherwise. It is a bit seasonal, worse in the fall and spring.

adiantum

ebay advertises on DF forum & what unusual items can be bought there.

How about a smile that sparkles yet makes  others frown..

For just $58 you could have silver dentures :huh:

s-l1600.jpg

Hammer

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I appreciate it!  I know that this isn't an allergy, since the only things I am allergic to are cigarette smoke, and some type of dust that's in my house.  I don't know why I am allergic to only one type of dust,  but considering that my house is always a dusty mess, and I rarely have this allergy act up, I figure it must be just one type of dust.  What happens is that, I will feel perfectly fine, then, I'll get this twinge in one of my sinuses.  Once I get that twinge, I'll start sneezing...4...5...6 times, then my nose will start running.  This all happens in about 15 seconds.  If I leave my house to go shopping or whatever, the symptoms go away, so I know that it's something in my house.  Oh, and I do have Zyrtec, as well as a saline spray and a saline solution, but they have no effect on helping to clear my throat.

Other than that, I am not allergic to anything else except cigarette smoke, and I have to be exposed to a lot of it over a long period of time, before it begins to affect me.

It's obvious to me that it is acid reflux, so I'll keep using apple cider vinegar to see if it keeps working.  I did have to change how I was taking it.  I can't just take a mouthful, swallow it, then drink water to wash it down.  I've found that doing it that way will upset my stomach.  Now I mix it with some other liquid (water, diet Sprite, etc.), and drink that, as that dilutes the vinegar and prevents it from upsetting my stomach.

As for my hard boiled eggs, well, I don't cook, I prefer to just open up the food and eat it, which is the reason that I buy the already cooked and peeled eggs.  I bought a toaster over when my daughter was living with me, because that's what she wanted.  Since she moved out, I haven't used it in 18 years or more.  Heck, like I mentioned in the past, lately, I've been eating a can of vegetables for dinner.  I buy green beans or carrots or mixed vegetables in cans, and I'll just open one up, dump out the water, and eat it right out of the can.  I don't need to heat it up or dump it onto a plate (why dirty up a plate?), it's easier for me to just eat it right out of the can, as there is no clean up.  I always like doing things the easiest possible way.😊

adiantum

In another thread I said that I dont tell others that I have diabetes.

I've noticed that  many old people like to discuss their health , even to total strangers and the poet Pam Ayres came to mind.

She was a classic. I loved her wit & her accent

adiantum

It can be so easy to miss seeing the turn off for a road in the country. 

Locals have seen to it that Kettles Road is visible 

612049612_KettlesRoadVictoria.thumb.jpg.1c94496293b9da2c4549dd5aa391aca5.jpg

Hammer

Well, it seems that my stomach and apple cider vinegar don't get along that well, so I  had to stop using the apple cider vinegar.  I started taking some over the counter Nexium, and it's working just fine.  The downside is that you can only take it for 14 days, so I'll see what happens after 14 days. 

Dowling
23 hours ago, Hammer said:

Well, it seems that my stomach and apple cider vinegar don't get along that well, so I  had to stop using the apple cider vinegar.  I started taking some over the counter Nexium, and it's working just fine.  The downside is that you can only take it for 14 days, so I'll see what happens after 14 days. 

Hammer--Try Ginger--Either make a ginger tea or get some ginger lozenges or both. You can also use the root in other ways and it doesn't matter if you mix it with other things.

Ginger has antiviral, anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties. It also aids in digestion. I find it helps with lots of things including helping a cold. To make a tea-- shave some ginger from a root into a cup or pot and cover with boiling water and let steep for a while.  Pour through a strainer to remove the shavings. I like to add a bit of splenda and lemon juice or I add it to my lemon flavored water that is already slightly sweetened. You could also just add about 1 teaspoon of honey but that would add a couple of carbs.

If you buy the root you can preserve it by freezing it wrapped in plastic wrap and put in a small container or freezer bag and use it from the frozen state because it never freezes solid

Hammer

I  don't know if anyone else has had this happen to them, but this is a first for me.  I ordered a product online, and it was being shipped FedEx.  It was supposed to arrive today, Thursday, but the tracking said that it had been returned to the sender (it didn't say why).  I got an e-mail from the sender stating that they were refunding my money, due to the shipment being returned, and that if I still wanted the merchandise, that I needed to reorder them, so I did reorder the items at 1:40 PM today.  I just received those items which means that it only took 5 hours to get to me, which I never thought was possible.  It seems that the store that I ordered the items from this time, had a branch here in my city that had the items in stock, so they hand delivered them to my house, then sent me an e-mail, letting me know that they had been delivered and left next to my basement door.....and I live way out in the country.....and the shipping was free.  Needless to say, I'm impressed!

adiantum

What a great outcome for you Hammer. I once bought a book on ebay & it was hand delivered within an hour.

It was a book about a station ...ranch? I bought it because my great grandparents worked there , met & married on that sheep station.

My gr. grandmother was a house maid & my gr. grandfather was a gardener.

The seller sold it because she had bought a few copies.

It turned out that we are related & her grandmother was a favourite aunt of mine

Hammer

Lee, it's amazing how we unknowingly meet people in our life, that we never met before, but have a connection to us.

Myself, when I was 12 years old, some 56 years ago, I was living in Baltimore City, and I had just recently passed the test for my Novice ham radio license.  The gentleman who gave me the test, was the local hardware store owner that was also a ham radio operator.  Once I passed the test, the hardware store owner said that he would sell me his radio transmitter (a home made radio), and his old receiver, and all I had to do was work at his hardware store to pay it off, which I did, because I liked working at his hardware store.  Well, I eventually earned enough money to buy a little better transmitter, and it was a strictly CW transmitter. (A Morse Code transmitter.)  I made a contact with a gentleman in the same city (Baltimore) that I lived in and he asked me to transfer over to voice, but my transmitter didn't have voice capabilities, so I told him that.  He asked me what transmitter I had, and when I told him, he said that he would build me a modulator that would allow me to use voice, and for me to send him the schematics of my transmitter, which I did. 

Once he had built the transmitter, he gave me his address, and I took a bus to his house to finally meet him and get my modulator.  When I got to his house, he showed me his radio station, which really impressed me, and as we chatted, we both discovered that he knew my grandparents, and that he and his wife had babysat me when I was a baby.  What are the odds of that happening?....it's a small world...

adiantum

It really is amazing Hammer.

That cousin/seller  has since emailed me copies of my fathers 2 brothers............. & I thought he was an only child.

I'd had the opportunity to buy that book many years ago but didnt even have the $40 to spare at that time.

I thought I was to miss out   since as its now out of print, although the Sydney library as a copy.

Ive since found out that I have that cousin &  others just 20 minutes away

Hammer
On 1/11/2021 at 5:10 AM, adiantum said:

I have reservations of mr beast. I realise he would be making mega dollars  from youtube,

but surely if someone had so much money to be rid of, they'd put it to good use .

Maybe  to give to a childs education .

It doesnt need to be advertised for the donors popularity, but  an anon gift to a school for a scholarship or just to give the school funds to buy a musical instrument or books.

Lee, maybe Adam B's video is more to your liking?  I know, he didn't have to video record this and post it on Youtube, but a lot of these people could use the exposure that he brings, to help them out of their current situation.....especially the last one.

adiantum

No, it doesnt bring out the warm & fuzzies for me , I almost cringe during  these performances.

Maybe its living in a high populated area that I see so much greed within some people that attract  these offers of free stuff .

Perhaps some people are just wired differently & live off  the generosity of others, yet theres so many in unfortunate situations through no fault of there own yet try to get by without freebies.

I realise  those living in the outback or remote communities dont have access to items as we in the cities & suburbs & its these people I'd rather more help was  made available . Theres organisations that are aware of the needs of those & have the ability to  gather & distribute goods to them. 

We have The Flying Doctors Service & the Country Womens Association CWA which are two that I used to give to. They see where the need is & once they make an announcement goods will come flooding in.

Here, I see people frequenting restaurants & the clubs to play poker machines etc while living in public housing & living off welfare.

Food Aid has outlets in many suburbs selling food close to out of date etc. Patrons  can get up to 5 bags of food for $2 or $5 a bag.

I'm not sure  which as I was gobsmacked that these people I know participate.

Three  women that I know own millions in assets & properties yet they line up for cheap food.

Theres many christmas appeals in all regions  yet  those that line up for freebies are not disadvantaged.

We've even heard of doctors in the next suburb get their Nanny/au pair  to take their children to receive gifts  from  these  functions.

I dislike greedy people.