Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Java

Daily Chat

JanetP
yeah i was wondering about the coconut milk - i had bought a can to try for some recipe (can't remember which one) but haven't made it yet because of the carb count

did it taste good? maybe just have 1/2 cup as a dessert? fiber one has a 90 cal pudding mix that has fiber in it - that might help the carb count amount not affect you as much - not sure tho

Watching the clock, waiting for the 2 hours mark but not hopeful. Was wondering about mixing a spoonful with coffee but not yet.

Halves&pieces

Bought a can of coconut milk myself recently. Not sure what I had in mind for it, but 1/3 cup has 2g sugar and 2g carbs. I've never tasted it, so don't know if I like it or how to use it.

Seagal

coconut cream concentrate (Tropical Traditions) is 100% pure natural coconut. You can mix 1 tsp. or more with 6-8 oz. water to make natural coconut milk. One tsp. is 3 g. fat, 1.1g carb, .43 g. fiber....you can read all about it on the website, but this stuff is terrific and has a lot of fiber. A few weeks ago they had a 2/1 sale on the 32 oz. size...yes, I stocked up:)

JanetP

I think I'll order some and stay away from the Mexican food aisle! FWIW, anyone else expecting to experiment with coconut milk should follow Seagal's advice, otherwise everything that has been in your gut for the previous 24 hours will slide right out!

Maybe I should suggest it to my gastroenerologist!

Seagal

We just returned from our trip to visit friends in Oregon and find it is easy to eat at restaurants, but I wasn't sure what it would be like when we arrived at our friends. They were most accomodating and after being shocked that I didn't eat bread or potatoes, I had veggies and meat and all was well. Toast & jam or cereal is their normal breakfast, dh doesn't always eat breakfast, but I had taken my MCS cereal for occasions like that and we brought cream, so on the days there was no cooking, I had my cereal with a dollop of cream. We were out & about so plenty of exercise. They have a lovely home on the Umpqua river and it was about 1/4 mile to the river and we walked it several times a day, we also had the upstairs guest room and that meant many trips a day.

Some may recall I recently had two cortizone shots for my right knee and it appears they haven't "taken", so even though we walked our tootsies off, if I hadn't had my pain pills I would have been quite an invalid. With all of this, I'm happy to say my numbers stayed good and I didn't gain weight. When I get my pix uploaded, I will post them somewhere, hopefully they will be representative of our wonderful visit.

Seagal

Georgia, I've been away for a while...when I left, you were hurtin' pretty bad and weren't sure you could visit your son. Happy to hear you are going on the trip, hope you feel better and have a lot of memories to treasure when you return!

Java

seagal, so sorry that shot didn't work :( that sucks!!

the hubster, lil man & i went to the huuuuuuuge flea market up in hillsville, va today for a couple hours - it was crazy hot - tons of ppl - lil man was excellent and he scored a couple little toys & i scored a metal coke sign (we are going to be pining the inside of our garage and hanging an assortment of vintage metal signs)

i made hot wings when we got home and been just straight chillin

:)

Sprockets

So I took my BG before going out to dinner and it was 115. Had a 1/2lb burger with provolone, onions, peppers & mushrooms. No bun. On the side a tossed salad with ranch dressing and 2 Mich Ultras. Also had 1 of my daughter's fries. When I got home, about 1.5 hours after the first bite I was 85!

I'm surprised it went down 20 after eating. I need to learn more about ketosis as it may be related to my skin reaction.

Halves&pieces
I think I'll order some and stay away from the Mexican food aisle! FWIW, anyone else expecting to experiment with coconut milk should follow Seagal's advice, otherwise everything that has been in your gut for the previous 24 hours will slide right out!

Maybe I should suggest it to my gastroenerologist!

Thanks, that's a good thing to know. I've noticed since dx my bowel movements have become more infrequent. When it happens, it happens in a big way, however. Don't know if that is the result of changing to a LCHF diet, the metformin, or both. I'm taking your comment about the coconut milk in the grocery store to mean it is or could be used as a laxative.

Correct assumption? If so, how much of the milk would one drink for a cleansing?

Seagal

The coconut cream concentrate has a lot of fiber...please go to Tropical Traditions an read about it before deciding if it is for you.

Sometimes, I just put a little in a spoon and eat it....or add a little to my coffee. it is very versatile, can be used in recipes, smoothies, mixed with almond/p'nut butter, puddings, oh my......:)

JanetP
Thanks, that's a good thing to know. I've noticed since dx my bowel movements have become more infrequent. When it happens, it happens in a big way, however. Don't know if that is the result of changing to a LCHF diet, the metformin, or both. I'm taking your comment about the coconut milk in the grocery store to mean it is or could be used as a laxative.

Correct assumption? If so, how much of the milk would one drink for a cleansing?

That would vary with the individual. I have a very sensitive gut and it didn't take much. Constipation is never a problem for me. Try a teaspoon at a time and work your way up.

Halves&pieces

Thanks, Seagal and jmp. I should have searched TT, and I now know the difference. The milk sounds a little scary with the additives. :)

GAgirl

Same here for me...I don't go everyday...never have, but since going LCHF it's all or nothing ...When I do it's a lot and sometimes really loose. Sometimes really firm but a lot of it. TMI, but isn't this what we are here for? LOL:toilet: (this smiley dedicated to those on Chit Chat -javagurl's thread who wanted to know when to use it, LMFAO

Halves&pieces
Same here for me...I don't go everyday...never have, but since going LCHF it's all or nothing ...When I do it's a lot and sometimes really loose. Sometimes really firm but a lot of it. TMI, but isn't this what we are here for? LOL:toilet: (this smiley dedicated to those on Chit Chat -javagurl's thread who wanted to know when to use it, LMFAO

OK, you owe me a keyboard, cause I just spewed coffee out my nose all over it. *Rolling on the floor* *still laughing* :D

GAgirl
OK, you owe me a keyboard, cause I just spewed coffee out my nose all over it. *Rolling on the floor* *still laughing* :D

I am soooooo glad I could do that for you! Isn't it great when we can laugh until we spit, or pee? YeSSSSSS!

NMSunshine

laughing at the current topic and...... taking notes!

Busy Saturday. It's the 1st so my nephews SSI check was SUPPOSED to come in. I set him up on a budget, created envelopes for him, made plans to take him shopping on Saturday and no check. He has just enough to pay for rent this month and $34 left over for all household needs, including cat litter, cat food, new trash can, new flyswatter, etc. He didn't have enough to buy a new razor and new mop- well he chose not to spend the money on those items. His real thing is movies, He has thousands of movies on VHS. 3000+ and he looks forward to his $$ to buy more. I'll go pester SS office on Tuesday but for now he has no money for movies and little for anything else.

Anyway that was Sat morning and got back home after noon. DH has been working SOOOOO hard to get my car fixed. It had gas in the oil. At first he was worried the internal damage it could do to seals and such, until he was able to smell the full amount of gas in my oil. Then he GROUNDED me. LOL!! no car. Get rides to work. Something about engine fire. :\

So $350 later and it's fixed, runs smooth as silk. He worked himself to exhaustion. I got home at 7pm and he was barely coherent. When I got home at noon my son wanted to go out to buy a new bed. We hit Target, Big Lots, Home Life, and Sam's. He had already exhausted options at Walmart. He wasn't sure what he wanted. He was still hoping for something that could be converted from couch to bed but be comfortable. Anything that was easy to convert was hard as a rock, what was soft is too bulky to bend. He finally chose comfort over convertibility and bought a 10" memory foam mattress at sam's. He budgeted $389 for the mattress and did a happy dance because this weekend only Sam's has Serta mattresses on sale $100 off.

Got home and hubby pushing himself beyond exhaustion. Have you eaten? I don't remember. Have you been drinking fluids? Beer. Ugh! men. So fixed dinner as fast as I could fed him and by 8 had him in bed. But my car is fixed.

Sprockets

Just hooked up the boat. My daughter decided to drive down from college yesterday and we are going to hit the river today! So happy that we are super close! I don't even care that the high is supposed to be 93 today!

post-53468-139628785629_thumb.jpg

JanetP
Just hooked up the boat. My daughter decided to drive down from college yesterday and we are going to hit the river today! So happy that we are super close! I don't even care that the high is supposed to be 93 today!

Wow! Have a wonderful time! Your daughter is gorgeous!

JanetP

There are 2 sacked out cats stretched out on my bed. we call them "dead cats" when they are like this, completely limp and oblivious. It is heating up outside, more thunderstorms predicted, it's muggy ,muggy,, muggy. I want to stretch out beside my kitties and sleep , too. Can't keep doing this. If left to myself, I would sleep 18 hours a day. It's not carb flu. why am I doing this?

Halves&pieces
<snip> Ugh! men. <snip>

It's the way we're wired from the get-go. It seems normal to us men, to play it by ear - our idea of natural that is.

Wanna know the most surprising thing this man found out about a medical procedure called a radical prostectomy? Probably not, but this is Daily Chat, and I want to tell ya. Hear me out.

Here it is: Having the surgery and losing the ability to ejaculate does not prevent one from having a orgasm.

I'd be willing to bet you most men, if surveyed, wouldn't know and / or believe that. Personally I thought it difficult to believe, but as a man, understand, it just didn't seem natural. I mean, if one fully considers it half of all humans on earth have orgasms without ejaculation. Why could it not possible for all, men included, right?

Most men its been said, young men especially, think with their head - not the one with the brains inside. The brain inside the other head does the big "O" within its own confines. Trust me.

The human body is a complex and fascinating thing.

Moreover, I'm not convinced either gender is suppose to naturally understand the other. What fun, how mysterious and wonderful would it be if we did?

PS: Just a general comment here NM, not directed at you or your post even though I quoted.

NMSunshine

PS: Just a general comment here NM, not directed at you or your post even though I quoted.

I was wondering what I posted that triggered this topic. LOL!!!

But D has an affect on the big O. I worry about any future activities myself. ;)

Today is a bbq at a friends. I'm bringing my own food and drinks. She'll be serving margaritas. Oh boy, big trigger and downfall there. I'll take a pitcher of skinny girl margarita mix or make my own from crystal light. You just mix the koolaid at double strength either lemonade or strawberry flavor. The pour over rocks or blend and pour into salted glass. I may or may not have taquila in it. Well maybe one :)

Nice to have an extra day off at home. Maybe I'll get all of the laundry done this week.

PS. My car runs like a kitten now.