Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joyr1110

keeping insulin safe in heat

joyr1110

My one ....eh...hobby? Is concerts...there is a particular band I follow around a good bit, and when I do, I like to get pit and rail run, which during the summer means camping out all day (or night/day) to get my choice spot upfront. I cancelled plans to go to Seattle for one of my yearly pilgrimages because I'm afraid of dealing w/ travel and keeping the insulin safe in heat.(was actually dxd then day after getting back from a show in WI) What precautions can/should I take to keep temps from hurting the insulin.

k_dub

I use Frios - they don't require fridge or ice. You just use water to soak them and they can be used for at least a week on one soak.

ramon

Ahhh I miss the good old Deadhead era. Love,peace and happiness. I am going to a S African fest this weekend and I use my little insulated lunchbox and put my insulin in a Ziploc baggy and put ice in a large Ziploc and it lasts 12hrs. Might have to re ice after a day at a conveniance store the next day. Enjoy your concerts. Want to hear some weird sounds? Go to YouTube and lookup FATTY FATTY BOOM BOOM by DIE ANTWOORD. The world is changing. :-)

aggie168

Frios is good for extreme or extended duration situation. For vial or pen that is already open, you can keep it at room temperature for up to 28 days (or whatever is listed with the manufacturer).

Yes, I do own a Frios since I started pumping four years ago. To date, I still have not have an extended situation that require using it. Even on my oversea trips... :)

ramon
Haha that was interesting. I'm debating going to S Africa in December for a show. I adore Vusi Mahlasela!

Been there myself, hitch hiked across the whole country but that was in the 70's. Its on my bucket list for next year with my brother. If you do go let me know and I can turn you on to some great experiences.

joyr1110

My husband doesn't want me to go....the shows are in Cape Town & Johannesburg...and he's concerned about the safety of those areas. I used to be super cautious about everything...and I've really tried to let go of fear and live for today (while still exercising reasonable precautions) just need to do some more homework before I decide

uttercaro

A bit of a cautionary tale: I just had to drive down to Durham last week. The flatlands in August are sweltering, and my car's air conditioner is on the fritz. I didn't have time to order a Frio, but I did have a sandwich-sized block of Blue Ice. I put that in an insulated tote (canvas freezer bag from our grocery store) with a bottle of icewater and tossed my meter kit containing my vial of insulin in there. Well, the insulin stayed cold -- but so did my meter. When I took it out to test, the display window fogged up from condensation, which is not good for it. So on the return trip, I just put the insulin in the tote and kept the meter kit in my purse. Worked out much better.

Good for you for not letting fear make your decisions! It's good to be prudent, but IMO it's better to regret things you did rather than things you didn't do. :cool:

Caro

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.