Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Courtney7

I've made it to 29weeks so far!

Courtney7

So I'm at 29weeks and feel like time is going so slow hopefully everything picks up speed soon.

I have a few questions about being induced as my drs have said at the 38week mark they most likely induce for various reasons to do with diabetes atm everything is going well, bubs is measuring fine and diabetes is holding ok (hba1c is 6%) so just wanting to know is this very common to be induced at 38weeks because of diabetes, do many mums go naturally before 38weeks? And also how long before you have up work? I work full time (9hr days) and at each app my dr asks if I think I should be finishing up but I'm not even at 30weeks yet and this is my first so I'm unsure if I finish up and end up waiting 9weeks at home or do I keep working and until what point? Sorry for all the questions

Tanikit

With my children I worked til 32 weeks - I have a job that involves standing almost all day however and the physical stress was getting too much for me at the end - with my second my sugars started dropping at 33 weeks and I landed up in hospital so was glad I had stopped working by then (also I ended the 31st of December with my second child at 32 weeks pregnant which made for a fairly normal stopping point date wise). I suppose it depends on you and your job how long you keep working - some people work right up until the day before their induction, others prefer a break. Some people struggle with blood pressure issues and oedema (water retention) and want to stop earlier. Some people like a break before the baby comes to prepare things are home and have some time to themselves. Others want a longer maternity leave after the birth. Do whatever feels right for you - if there are medical issues you will know you need to stop earlier.

I was induced with both my children at 38 weeks. I will be honest and say by that stage I had had it and wanted my child out. I would have gone into labour in the next day or so with my first child anyway as I had started to lose my plug the day before I was induced and the induction happened very fast. With my second child I suspect I would have had to wait a while still though the induction actually happened even faster (they say it is is faster the second time anyway). Not many mothers go naturally before 38 weeks if it is their first child - it can and does happen and diabetes does seem to predispose some mothers to earlier births - but again no one will be able to tell you what will happen for you.

Enjoy the time you have left - first pregnancies drag and ever after that it feels like the whole world has speeded up and that tiny little baby is growing too fast. You'll have your baby in your arms before you know it.

Lizzie G

hi

with my first pregnancy i was self employed and ended up finishing really early (about 32 weeks i think) just because it worked better for me than taking on more work. this time i plan on finishing at about 37 weeks. its a personal choice and unless you have any specific complications like low lying placenta etc, theres no medical reason to finish early just because of diabetes. that said i felt pretty exhausted in those later weeks!

i had a very negative experience with induction so not the best person to comment, but make sure you go as long as your doctors are happy with.

Courtney7

thankyou both for your replies, i work in childcare in a babies room so i guess its a pretty demanding job, ive just reached 30 weeks now and the last 48hours have really taken its toll on me mentally i just lost my dog who to us was our first baby in a very horrific and sudden way, i have a few appointments this week and only need to be at work 3days but i think now that im a emotional wreck i will be finishing up. i have heard a few bad things about induction lizzie in regards to it ending in a emergency i think i will try to calm myself and get in the right head space in the next few weeks and ride it out as long as i can, i feel guilty leaving work early as i feel i am leaving them in a tricky situation with not having anyone to fill my position but i think in light of the last few days the time at home may be the best thing and i will have the time to tightly control and keep ontop of my levels.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.