Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

Chiobani Greek Non-fat yogurt?

GAgirl

I started eating his this morning for B and while the net carbs are only 6 carbs per serving- serving being the whole cup, I see this is not sf so the sugars are 19grams and where I thought I was getting low carb, I am but by way of too much real sugar. It is peach flavor and tastes like I unloaded 5 packs of real sugar into it it's sooo sweet and sugary! So needless to say I love it, LOL but I am stopping at half the cup to see what damage it does to bg's in an your and then 2. I know the best is plain and flavored with some type of sf sweetener , but that is too tangy for me even adding sf sweeteners. Will report back on my hour and 2 #'s. I thought I was gonna do good on this one but....

Your thoughts?

princesslinda

I can actually tolerate the Yoplait Light yogurt if I eat it at lunchtime. It's 16 carbs, 10 sugars, and it's usually the only carb i'm having with that particular meal. I'm not a yogurt fan, so eating plain yogurt isn't something I can do w/o gagging because of the twang. They have a key lime pie flavor that's to die for...more like dessert than yogurt.

Java

ROFL!!

why, yes, yes you did ~ you screwed up

*spanks*

haahahahahaah! :P

i can only eat 1/2 cup at a time of the plain ~ otherwise it'll spike me more than i want

now get it together, would ya, GAgirl!!

GrammaBear
ROFL!!

*spanks*

i can only eat 1/2 cup at a time of the plain ~ otherwise it'll spike me more than i want

You are so funny. I hope Chobani is kinder to GA girl than it is to me. Used to buy it and it took me forever to figure out that I cannot eat the stuff unless I am having a hypo.

GAgirl
ROFL!!

*spanks*

Spank, me harder!!! I hour 149!!! So throwing out the raspberry one left in the fridge! Gald I only got 2 instead of the sale of 10 for $10

mjrc64

I can tolerate them(19-21 carbs will not spike me if combined with that much protein), but they are now too high carb for my current plan.

How about mixing it with a plain one? So you have 1/2 sweetened and 1/2 plain? I have some in the fridge from before going lower carb than I used to, and will try that. I was hoping my son would just eat them, but he has turned to a new brand. Kids. So fickle about food!

GAgirl

If you subtract the protein they are only like around 6 carbs net total. I jusat think I will forget it until my DaVinci syrups come and try again with plain greek and see how It goes. Thanks everyone!

Seagal

Ummm...it is not the protein you subtract to get net carbs, it is the fiber....unless the rules have changed...AGAIN!

Also, ya'll probably know that there are less sugars/carbs in whole fat yogurt, not the non-fat???? Least that has been my experience when I compare labels.

GAgirl
Ummm...it is not the protein you subtract to get net carbs, it is the fiber....unless the rules have changed...AGAIN!

Dang, I cannot get that straight! Thanks Seagal!!! Now you see why I thought it was low carb, LMAO!!!!!!!!:rofl:

jwags

Most of the time I buy unsweetened greek yogurt with nothing added. I can handle about 1/2 cup. Even with no added sugsr you get sugar grams from the milk. The unsweetened is much better, then you can add your own fruit, seeds or nuts. I like to add a splash of Torani or Davinci syrup. Also buy the highest fat yogurt possible. I know some people who add whipped heavy cream to increase fat content.

mjrc64

Also, ya'll probably know that there are less sugars/carbs in whole fat yogurt, not the non-fat???? Least that has been my experience when I compare labels.

I may have confused things by bringing up protein. While it does not affect net carbs, for me, it affects whether or not my BG spikes. Having about equal carbs to protein helps with me.

janice21475

I do not understand why anyone would go low carb and low fat. From all I have read and experienced low carb and high fat work like a charm. Low carb + Low fat is not natural. You have to use doctored products to eliminate the fat. You can eliminate carbs by food choices (natural food not processed food). The majority of marketed Low fat food is processed food and has been altered. Another thing that makes me nuts is sweetened yogurt. Yogurt adds bacteria beneficial to your gut but the sweeteners cancel that out. /rant

Hooterville
If you subtract the protein they are only like around 6 carbs net total. I jusat think I will forget it until my DaVinci syrups come and try again with plain greek and see how It goes. Thanks everyone!

Now we're subtracting protein?

Honestly, this subtracting game is just a smokescreen. It sure can make us feel ok about what we're eating, can't it? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. I'm not trying to be mean (I just am mean lol) it's just that this subtracting deal is a real pet peeve of mine.

I was confused by your op where you state there are 19 "sugars" and only 6 carbs. How did you arrive at the figure of 6 carbs when there are 19 "sugars"? See, it's so much easier and real, IMO, to just look at the total carbs and try to get as much fiber in your diet as possible because fiber is good for you not because eating it lets you eat more carbs. I dunno, call me crazy.....or b!tchy. Whatever works.

Hooterville
I do not understand why anyone would go low carb and low fat. From all I have read and experienced low carb and high fat work like a charm. Low carb + Low fat is not natural. You have to use doctored products to eliminate the fat. You can eliminate carbs by food choices (natural food not processed food). The majority of marketed Low fat food is processed food and has been altered. Another thing that makes me nuts is sweetened yogurt. Yogurt adds bacteria beneficial to your gut but the sweeteners cancel that out. /rant

Janice, this is an example of why I like you, lol. Eat real, whole food, in it's simplest most unprocessed form.

GAgirl
Now we're subtracting protein?

Honestly, this subtracting game is just a smokescreen. It sure can make us feel ok about what we're eating, can't it? I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. I'm not trying to be mean (I just am mean lol) it's just that this subtracting deal is a real pet peeve of mine.

I was confused by your op where you state there are 19 "sugars" and only 6 carbs. How did you arrive at the figure of 6 carbs when there are 19 "sugars"? See, it's so much easier and real, IMO, to just look at the total carbs and try to get as much fiber in your diet as possible because fiber is good for you not because eating it lets you eat more carbs. I dunno, call me crazy.....or b!tchy. Whatever works.

I subtracted the wrong thing...LOL

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.