Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rfrankr

1.5 misdiag

rfrankr

I think I know the answer but just want to make sure.. is the reason a misdiagnosed 1.5 loses so much weight is because in an effort to control BG he or she just doesn't eat very much food? Too low calorie intake?

Bountyman

It's "a" reason...but may not be the "only" reason. A person can also lose weight by eating the same as they did before...but increasing their exercise. I'm not sure being a "misdiagnosed 1.5" has much to do with it.

ramon
I think I know the answer but just want to make sure.. is the reason a misdiagnosed 1.5 loses so much weight is because in an effort to control BG he or she just doesn't eat very much food? Too low calorie intake?

I think you have worms :rofl: :smile:

TommyC1

Before I was diagnosed I was eating everything in sight and losing weight.

In fact weight loss was my main symptom.

I believe that the low insulin level in my body was responsible as I was eating enough for three or four of me.

My GP at the time thought "high blood sugar, no DKA = T2" and put me on pills. After a few weeks it was clear that those were not reducing my BS enough so he put me on insulin and I began to gain back what I'd lost.

Uff Da

From my reading I've gained the impression that the reason TommyC gave above is the most frequent situation for type 1s. With continued high blood sugars and inadequate insulin, the body can't properly use the food it gets, so one can eat a lot and still lose weight. Most type 1's lose enough beta cells early enough that they usually aren't misdiagnosed for too long, although some doctors will just blame their continued high blood sugars on non-compliance and they will go on misdiagnosed longer.

A type 1.5, though, typically has some symptoms of both type 1 and type 2 and may lose their beta cells and insulin production more slowly. They might even be able to keep their blood sugar under reasonable control on type 2 meds for a while. So they are likely to be misdiagnosed a lot longer.

In my own case, it was definitely a case of eating inadequate carbs and calories to keep up my weight in an effort to keep my blood sugars from the stratosphere. I was misdiagnosed for a year and a half before my doctor finally referred me to an endo, who put me immediately on insulin before he even got the results of the tests back. I should have been on insulin the whole time. I have a high metabolism (been underweight most of my life), and I wouldn't have lost those 17 pounds had I been able to keep my blood sugar at a reasonable level if I could get by eating what little many women eat.

jwags

Type 1.5 is a slow onset version of Type 1. Type 1's usually test positive for antibodies that attack their pancreas. That means your beta cells are constantly being killed off , so you do not have enough insulin on board to push glucose into the cells to be used for energy. So in a way, you are not getting nourishment even if you are eating. You are starving yourself to death because the food you do eat cannot get pushed into cells. This is the main reason for weight loss. It happens with Type 2's too who have high bgs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.