Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toolbox

Mexican

Toolbox

First visit to a Mexican restaurant since dx a month ago. Chicken fajitas with red/green peppers, onions, and a small guacamole salad.

Had a couple of bites of refried beans. Skipped the tortillas and rice totally.

Whoo Hooo...96 pre lunch and 102 1-hour pp. I'm happy with that!

princesslinda

I love fajitas. When I go to a Mexican restaurant, I come with my own foil-wrapped Mission brand low-carb tortillas. Like you, I skip the rice and have a small serving of the beans. Hardest for me is not having chips and salsa. Sounds like it worked well for you.

Toolbox

Yea, the chips and salsa in front of my nose was tempting. Next time maybe I'll spurge and have 1 chip and test test test.

princesslinda

If I were going to have just one chip, I wouldn't bother wasting the strip to test. My problem would be that there's no such thing as "one" chip, LOL...and I sure don't need to test to tell me what would happen if I ate 1/2 the basket of chips. Also, salsa can be problematic unless you make your own, as many have sugar in them.

TrickyTreeFrog

I too take my own low carb tortillas from home in a baggie....make two nice tacos whooot...

(whispers) and sneek in (1) tea spoon and (1) table spoon of beans in each taco....

please don't hold back on the salsa BRING IT ON!!!! :eek: :T

hugs

Da Fwog

funkynassau

I spent almost 4 weeks in Oaxaca, Mexico in Feb. of this year with friends who had rented a house there for the winter.  My bg was not in great control at that time and I was trying pretty hard to eat properly.  My friend loves to cook and he made very good Mexican meals every day for us.  We walked miles every day too.  I was able to eat pretty much what I felt like and because of the exercise we got from walking my bg level was doing pretty good all things considered.  He did make rice and I would eat about 1/2 cup of rice at the most because white rice doesn't really appeal to me.  I found the Mexican diet to be favourable for me because I do love all the fresh veggies and chicken and fish.  I've tried to keep that momentum up at home and am succeeding pretty well!

I went on insulin in May of this year, after my vacation, and my numbers are anywhere from 4.3 to 6.0 on the Canadian scale which is awesome.  I think if I'd been on insulin in Mexico I'd be having some lows and would have had to adjust.

Weezy

When at a Mexican restaurant that is known for fabulous salsa, I ask for some veggies to use to dip.  They bring out a plate of celery, peppers, and sliced mushrooms or sometimes zucchini.  Works great!  Just need something to pick up the salsa.  I do miss the chips sometimes, but I'm happy to be able to have some salsa and "dip" with the rest of the group.

Diana_CT

First visit to a Mexican restaurant since dx a month ago. Chicken fajitas with red/green peppers, onions, and a small guacamole salad.

Had a couple of bites of refried beans. Skipped the tortillas and rice totally.

Whoo Hooo...96 pre lunch and 102 1-hour pp. I'm happy with that!

That is what I do, skip the rice and tortillas. I found the beans aren't that bad for me, they have a low glycemic index of 38 so I don't get a big BG bump. For me it is a slow rise in my BG that I can handle OK.

pat593

Went paddle boarding (never had the courage to try it before) and then to a great new Mexican place called Taco Bar - you can order a "topas" size serving of anything.  Had the guacamole without the chips, the insides of a great sesame beef taco and a cylantro cole slaw.  Love Mexican - so many choices! 

Stl-T2

My way of dealing with the chips and salsa -- and this only works if you are dining with some one who doesn't mind you "double dipping" -- is to use a chip like a spoon and just suck the salsa off of it. Every fourth spoonful or so I eat part or all of the chip.  That way I get my fill of the salsa and only eat about 3 chips.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well I like fajitas minus the rice, beans, and tortillas.  I didn't used to like onions and peppers, but my taste perception has shifted a lot.

TX_Clint

I have a great classy Tex-Mex and Mexican resturant on my first floor. I dine there about once a week.  Yes there is a difference. I love the bean soup (no refried beans for me, be nice to your significant other). My favorite is Pollo a la Parilla with sirloin strips. That's grilled chicken and sirloin with onion and mushrooms covered with some jack cheese and with some Texas pickles (jalapenos) tossed in. No chips or rice please. They also make a great grilled chicken salad with avacado slices. And to wash it down they do have Mich ultra on tap.

I barely get a bg bump.

Forester

I too take my own low carb tortillas from home in a baggie....make two nice tacos whooot...

I did this tonight!  The dish was grilled chicken on a bed of grilled red, green, yellow, and poblano peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini, with a side of warm salsa on the side. Melted cheese over all. No rice, no beans.  It was great!  Of course the dish was called Pollo Gringo, lol.  I ordered it with extra green chile salsa; I like it hot.  They did not at all mind that I brought my own tortillas.

ronmesnard

That is what I do, skip the rice and tortillas. I found the beans aren't that bad for me, they have a low glycemic index of 38 so I don't get a big BG bump. For me it is a slow rise in my BG that I can handle OK.

Beans shouldn't be bad at all.  They are loaded with fiber and have large chained sugars (oligosaccharides).  Our bodies can't break down oligosaccharides.  They are broken down by microbes in our large intestines which can produce gas.  The end products are small chained fatty acids and not sugar.  Small chained fatty acids are extremely healthy and provide additional health value to diabetics. Other foods high in oligosaccharides are cabbage, brussel sprouts and broccoli. The only problems with these foods are the gas.  I would not use beeno or other degassing agents because it provides an enzyme we lack that will convert these indigestible sugars into simple sugars like glucose and rob the microbes of their food. 

Kit

My way of dealing with the chips and salsa -- and this only works if you are dining with some one who doesn't mind you "double dipping" -- is to use a chip like a spoon and just suck the salsa off of it. Every fourth spoonful or so I eat part or all of the chip.  That way I get my fill of the salsa and only eat about 3 chips.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well I like fajitas minus the rice, beans, and tortillas.  I didn't used to like onions and peppers, but my taste perception has shifted a lot.

I adore fajitas like that myself.  Now if I could just convince them to give me a little extra veggies.

I rarely go out for mexican so when I do, I usually splurge and eat some of the refried beans.  :)

Kit

Beans shouldn't be bad at all.  They are loaded with fiber and have large chained sugars (oligosaccharides).  Our bodies can't break down oligosaccharides.  They are broken down by microbes in our large intestines which can produce gas.  The end products are small chained fatty acids and not sugar.  Small chained fatty acids are extremely healthy and provide additional health value to diabetics. Other foods high in oligosaccharides are cabbage, brussel sprouts and broccoli. The only problems with these foods are the gas.  I would not use beeno or other degassing agents because it provides an enzyme we lack that will convert these indigestible sugars into simple sugars like glucose and rob the microbes of their food. 

Yeah, well technically beans should be great.  In reality, however, not so much, at least for me.

I can eat them in small amounts maybe once a week.  Any more and I will see my numbers start to creep up.

Depressing because I love beans.

Spike1192

Yes, here in Texas Mexican food is king. One of the few "ethnic" foods I consistently eat out. Like the fajitas, fajita steak & grilled shrimp or fish. Always have about 1/2 cup of the charro (pintos) and substitute a salad instead of the rice. BG so far always low after 2hr reading.

Btw, I really like Taco Bell also. But after 2 Fresco chicken tacos (about 20'ish C each according to website) my BG is always significantly higher in 2 hours.... Don't know why ?

TX_Clint

I have a new favorite dish at the Tex-Mex downstairs. Alambre de Cameron, shrimp stuffed with cheese and a slice of jalapeño wrapped in bacon and grilled with grilled veggies.

mzteacher

Oh my goodness Clint. My Costco has had those before. They were filling and very low carb. The problem is they do not carry it all the time. I think it has been a year or more. So I am not too optimistic about this. They were frozen and excellent and easy. Call me jealous on this one. Just last night I was trying to see if Costco had it again yet. Sigh......

inglucerant

my favorite meal at my favorite Mexican restaurant is called "molcajete". It's sort of a beef stew, made with cactus, chile peppers, strips of beef, and cheese. Absolutely delicious, and makes my BG rise about 3 points.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.