Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

riclow

Just a Quick Question about Diabetes Type 1.5

riclow
:confused::confused: Everything I have been reading from this forum and all the research I have done so far has told me that there are only two types of diabetes type 1 and type 2. My question is very simple why is this forum titled type 1.5 can someone please explain this to me?:confused: I have not been diagnosed yet I am still a pre-diabetic my appointment is not until October the 17th, but my bg readings have risen drastically in the past two in a half months my average is now up to 150 with highs in the 200's and lowest very rarely in the high 130's. Thanks everyone :)

patricia52

Actually there is also gestational diabetes, and drug induced diabetes, along with T1, T2 and T1.5. I am sure the other members can think of other types that I forgot to list. T2 is the most common.

Cora

It was called type 1.5, in part, because type 1 was formerly known as "juvenile" diabetes. Once they realized that you could get it at an older age and it was slower onset when you were more mature, they called it 1.5. It's also known as LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes of adults).

So basically it's slow onset type 1. It can take as much as 6 years or so before you are fully insulin dependent where as with kids it can be a matter of only weeks or months.

Dlife619

I was diagnosed as type 1, not 1.5 at age 31. I was hit very fast and was in dKA very quickly, although I just pawned it off as being tired and dehydrated from work, so I'm pretty sure type 1.5 is it's own form of diabetes, as with type 1 and 2 and the other ones you have listed. They are all different, but in the end cause the same effects, high blood sugar by either little to no insulin production or no insulin reception. I believe it was changed from juvenile and adult diabetes to type 1 and 2 because more and more people were having type 1 at later ages. My doctor had a woman that was 50 when she was diagnosed type 1. I'm 31, and a friend if mine was Dx type 1 at 25. So yes there is a type 1.5, it's just a slower onset of type 1 more common in adults.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.