Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dawn46

Victoza

Dawn46

Has anyone tried this medication? My doctor put me on it in addition to metformin. I do have issues with being constipated and I am not sure which medication has this affect on me. I have added magnesium citrate as of today. I am wondering if anyone experiences bruising when taking this. I have bruises all over my injection sites but experience no pain or bleeding

JanetP

I've been on Victoza for over a year. I occasionally have bruising. I have learned to inject low in my abdomen, below my belly button where there is a nice big fat roll and I'll have less bruising. I've never had pain or bleeding. Usually metformin and victoza are not constipating, reactions tend to go in the opposite direction.

jbmacomber

I was on it for a year with no side effects. Sometimes bruising, but inject lower as mentioned.

daveburstein

Victoza often causes problems that nearly always pass. "Gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea are commonly reported after initiating treatment with GLP-1RAs; however, this tends to be transient" Nausea Likely But Temporary - Victoza Independent For some, it's nausea and diarrhea; for others, constipation. (I've had both). They got better quickly, which is typical. Back down the dose for a week and increase it only very gradually. I've had very good results for both blood sugar and weight.

meontheweb

Started about one month ago, but am not seeing a lot of changes in my numbers however doctor said to keep with it. I'm overweight so inject in the roll just below my belly button (LOLed when I read that, Janet) and it seems to be OK there. If I go higher up not only is it painful but is sore afterwards. No bruising.

When I first started metformin I had stomach problems but that largely worked itself out.

Have not had issues with Victoza at all.

Cormac_Doyle

Victoza sometimes causes slight constipation ... but I find that just tends to balance out all but the worst "Metformin Trots" that I would otherwise suffer from ...

Never used Bydureon - thats the "every two days" injection, isn't it? I would never remember to take something every second day!

davef

On victoza over a year now, no side effects. As for bruising, I've no idea as I never look at myself in a mirror, maybe I should be checking but never thought of it.

Dawn46

I have to say I really have good things to say about victoza, even with the bruising and constipation. I have much better control of my sugars. They are still not where we want them to be but I have been having a lot if stress with disability etc and have been cheating more than I should. My sugars are not spiking horribly if I happen to cheat like they were and I have lost another 3 lbs this last week.

davef
I have to say I really have good things to say about victoza, even with the bruising and constipation. I have much better control of my sugars. They are still not where we want them to be but I have been having a lot if stress with disability etc and have been cheating more than I should. My sugars are not spiking horribly if I happen to cheat like they were and I have lost another 3 lbs this last week.

That's great, also, no such thing a cheating, you've allowed yourself treats. If you think you cheat then you might feel guilt, we've enough to deal with, without dealing with guilt too.

People without diabetes allow themselves treats, so do we. :)

Jimbow

My A1C has been slowly increasing (from 7.2 - 8.2) and my Dr. referred to to an endocrinologist who wants to put me on Victoza. I'm very apprehensive due to the health risks (Pancreatic cancer). If problems/symptoms start, are they treatable/curable or am I stuck with even more problems than a higher A1c? I'm wondering if a traditional approach (insulin injections before mealtime) would be a better treatment. Any thoughts?

makiro

Everything you take has a death risk. Even if it's a dump, never know when you'll invert your colon and bleed out.

Remember that the benefits outweigh the risks.

Sure go for the insulin approach, but remember to exercise a lot since it preserves fat cells and can cause weight gain.

Cormac_Doyle

Victoza has not been shown to cause Pancreatic Cancer.

Januvia and similar DPP4 inhibitors increase the chances of Cancer (specifically, DPP4 is the hormone the body uses to destroy cancer cells - it is the "programmed cell death" trigger. Guess what happens when you inhibit it). DPP-4 is also responsible for breaking down GLP-1, which is why it helps with Diabetes.

Victoza and other GLP-1 analogues have not shown ANY increased risk of cancer - however, for some reason, "media" tends to lump the GLP-1 drugs in with the DPP-4 drugs. The only effect that GLP-1 can have directly is that it has been shown to protect the remaining pancreas cells from destruction ... this is a good thing.

If you are allergic to Victoza, it may cause Pancreatitis (swelling/irritation of the pancreas) - this will be very quickly noticable within the first week and you can discontinue the drug.

But please do not believe the scare mongers and ambulance chasers that try to convince you that DPP4 drugs (tablets) are the same as GLP1 drugs (injections), just becuase the have a similar effect. Injecting morphine and taking a Tylenol are both methods of pain management ... and people don't try to treat both of those in the same way!!!

Jimbow

Cormac-Doyle. Thanks for the education - even though I don't really understand the DPP-4 and GLP-1 part of it. I guess I need to study this disease in depth. My doctors didn't really take the time to explain all this. 10 minutes is about all they give you. Wow - your numbers really look great. Congratulations!

D-Chuck

Been on Vicky (my pet name because it makes me sicky :-) for five days and I feel AWFUL! Doc is trying to get me off insulin but so far I have stayed in the 200's.

Have any of you folks moved from insulin to just Victoza?

TX_Clint
Been on Vicky (my pet name because it makes me sicky :-) for five days and I feel AWFUL! Doc is trying to get me off insulin but so far I have stayed in the 200's.

Have any of you folks moved from insulin to just Victoza?

Why is he trying to get you off insulin? Just curious.

Penny

I have been on Victoza for about 9 months, the first few weeks I was nauseated almost every day. But my A1C dropped from 8 to 5.9 and I lost 37 pounds. The Endo says her goal is to have mme off all insulin, but I don't think it will happen....seemed to reach a place where it is as low as I can go. I have mostly quit the Novolog, only use it once in awhile when I know I will have a few more carbs than I should. I have reduced the Lantus from 150 units a day to 80 (split 40 morning and night). Keep trying to reduce it more, like the Endo suggested, but everytime I drop it 2 more units, my fasting BS will be higher....tried ignoring that for several days and fasting just kept getting higher, as much as 129. Added the 4 units back and fasting numbers returned to an average of 90. I have seldom ever had problems with constipation until I started the Victoza. About once a week I need a stool softener, it seems to keep me regular for at least the next week. Overall, I am happy with the results of the using Victoza.

jmikef

Hello, new to this forum. I've been on Victoza since 10/25 and already my blood sugar readings are down considerably and I've dropped from 227 to 217 - 10 lbs! Typically, my BS in the AM was around 200, now it's 120. BTW, my A1C had been around 7.0 for years but it spiked to 8.2 this year. I told my PCP that I did not want to go on insulin (I'm taking metformin and glipizide), so he referred me to the endocrinologist who is just wonderful. She is a big fan of Victoza. I've had headaches (one day) and an uncomfortable full feeling and some constipation, but no nausea. She said that most of her patients lose 20-30 pounds, and their A1C drops to under 6.0. She is weaning me off glipizide. A good friend who has a big practice in FLA also says that Victoza is a breakthrough for her patients.

I am convinced of two things - getting excess sugar out of your blood is important to mental health. Since I've cut way back on carbs, my disposition has improved greatly.

Second, losing weight is critical to improving quality of life - PERIOD. Victoza helps control my hunger and that allows me to make better food decisions. My goal is to be be drug free in 3 years.

mom366

Hi Deano

I am a Type 2 and morbidly obese. I recently started Victoza along with Metformin. Takes some getting used to but I am dealing with the nausa. I was hoping to hear some weight loss results. Would your wife or anyone else be willing to post some numbers. I have seen a decrease in my bg which is great but I would love to celebrate some weight loss. Thanks for listening.

sally ward

My father was on this medication for 2 years and is in the hospital with end stage liver cirrhosis. He may also have pancreatic cancer, he is to ill for them to do further tests. His liver was functioning at 100% prior to using this medication. It was the only thing he added to his routine. He may die, i spend every night at the hospital assuring he is getting good care and is comforted, he needs a transplant for his liver. There are currently billions of dollars in lawsuits regarding victoza. Please beware, be safe and god bless. Please do not accept new medications on the market they use us as guinea pigs we are just a number if we die they either push the fda for approval or make a new drug. Please help put a stop to this they are doing more harm then good. Please pray for my dad, he is a hero, helps anyone in need of assistance, thoughtful, selfless, genuine and kind. He was fine 3 months, now he is fighting for his life. :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.