Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troog

GD: Blood sugar low after walking but increases later

troog

Hi,

My wife has been diagnosed with GD. She is taking Insulin now. She is taking blood sugar reading 2 hrs after eating. To help GD and to keep her fit, we go for a walk, one hour after dinner. What we noticed is if we take the blood sugar reading immediately after walking it is less than 120, how ever if she relaxes for few minutes after walking and then takes the blood sugar reading it is around 140-150. We are confused as to if she should walk or not ? when is it normally recommended to take a blood sugar reading after a walk?

Thanks in advance

samuraiguy

Depends on what (high or low glycemic) and how many carbs she consumed during her meal and if any fats or proteins slowed down the digestion. The carbs could still be digesting and not spiking at 1 hour so the reading could be 120, but continue to climb. The walk could be blunting a spike of perhaps 160-180 (just an example, not saying that's what happened) down to 140-150. This happens to me if I have a lot of fats or proteins or pasta, I check my 1 and 2 hour PP numbers and they seem normal, but then at the hour 3 or beyond sometimes it will climb back up. I would record what she eats and how much, take a 1 PP reading, walk and then a 2 Hour PP reading and finally a 3 hour PP reading to see if perhaps she is spiking later. If I eat my normal load of carbs I usually go my highest at 30 minutes to an hour and then drop to normal at 2 to 2-1/2 hours, the walking I do just keeps the number curve lower overall and returns me to baseline (83-93) faster.

gdm_mom

this app really helped me to keep a track and send weekly reports to my nurse.

The app helps log, track blood glucose, weight, fetal movements, exercise, food intake, etc. One can also share the progress of weekly blood glucose with her nurse, doctors, etc. It also has basic information of GDM (Gestational Diabetes Mellitus) and tips on nutrition, diet, exercise. The app is very handy and easy to use. You don’t have to log your blood glucose on your computer anymore. You can log your data anytime, anywhere with the help of this app.

It is available at the following links

· Android App @ Google Play ::

· iPhone / iPad @ iTunes :: gestational-diabetes-management

· Android App @ Amazon :: Gestational Diabetes Management: Appstore for Android

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.