Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

...like an eating disorder- constantly having to think about food!

GAgirl

So you may have gathered from my new started threads from today that food is on my mind and upsetting me today.

#1.- I am hormonal and as the next 4 days pass I will not be so much so

#2.0Being in this state of hormonal brain, I am thinking and craving food too much!

So I realized that like people with food/eating disorders who are constantly thing about how to not eat food, throw up the food, eating more food, or whatever else that is a disorder with food, so does the Diabetic constantly have food on the mind.

We have to constantly think about what food we will eat, when , and how it will affect our bg's, and so for people who are limited in what they can eat as far as really lowering carbs, we are forced by our own bodies to overthink about food! How ironic and poetic....

I am following a LCHF lifestyle since it's best for me as a T2 on only Met 500 1x per day. If I eat correctly, this Met and diet is all I need to stay in the "really good" zone.

Ok, great! But I am sick of the same go to foods, I have a stack of LC recipes and most are just ok, but some are disgusting as I hate the taste of all other sweeteners other than sugar and honey, and agave, is ok. I am trying so hard to change that palate as I tried every kind of alternative natural sweeteners and it's mostly ok, but not perfect. I know it won't ever be perfect unless it is in fact sugar. I am still trying every day with this.:) I prefer the monk fruit in the raw and the sweet leaf natural stevia- nothing artificial -no erythritol...but still...

It's been almost 5 months on the LCHF diet and I am pleased, but am getting sick of the same ole.

I just find it almost funny that those of us who have this D we have find ourselves focused more on food than ever before . Ironic....

rubidoux

I try very hard not to focus on food, which is a lot of the reason that I only eat once a day. I think about food WAY less than when I was eating all the freaking time. lol The other day I went out to do my workout at about 6:30 and while I was walking I was doing a little inventory of what I had to get done for the night and how the night was going to go, and then I realized that I had not eaten all day long, I had not even thought about food all day long, I had no plan for dinner bc it hadn't even crossed my mind, and now I was gonna have to work it in between kid homework and baths and pulling the house together a little. That moment that I realized that it had not even entered my mind all day I was ON TOP OF THE WORLD for a minute. It was 6:30 p.m. and I was yet to even give a single moment of my day to thoughts about food! What a win! If every day could be that way it would be awesome! Very few are that way, but I will tell you that not thinking about food has become so much easier since I pretty much stopped eating food.

Another thing, and I know that nobody in their right mind would want to do this... but I have learned that I am MUCH better off if I don't try to make my food the yummiest thing ever. Of course, I don't want to eat something that I don't like (though, I do do this, and have found it helpful, I used to HATE avocado, so I forced myself to eat one every day for a couple of months and it actually was great for me, now I have learned to like them, which is also good, but different), I do generally make my meals something passable, at least. But on most days I try not to have something that I would ever look forward to. Food is not entertainment and it doesn't always have to be fun. I used to marvel at how my husband would eat. He would literally get super hungry and then look in the fridge and grab something that would fuel him. WOW! For me it was always, always, always about having something really yummy and satisfying and I NEVER would eat just a hunk of cheddar or a couple of eggs because they weren't pleasing enough. He would bc he wasn't looking for entertainment, he was just in need of fuel. To me it was just such a foreign concept.

So, one thing I have done recently, to this end of learning how to not need my food to be yummy -- is to stop all sweeteners. It was sooooo weird. It affected me in ways I didn't expect. I had very, very little appetite and felt completely in control of all of my eating (which, as you know from that other thread, is not my usual). When your food is not "highly palatable" you can pass on it. There were times that I'd eat a good sized dinner, maybe 700 or 800 calories, but think, since I only eat one meal, I could have a snack if I want. There was a time that thinking of what that snack would be -- maybe mascarpone with some truvia and vanilla or a couple of wedges of salted dark chocolate or some pecans fried in butter and sprinkled with salt and truvia -- made me "hungry", but if all I could think of was almonds, cheese, olives. Eh. Hardly worth getting off the couch for. So what happens, I think, when you eat this way is that you only eat what you *need*.

Alright, so I am a total freaking basket case as I have made very clear already, thank you very much. lol But I have learned these few things and although I know that they sound crazy, I am way better off now than I was 2 or 3 years ago when I was already planning out my next fast food meal before I was done with the first and trying to figure out how I could get myself some chocolate cake between dropping off dh and picking up my kids so I didn't have to be seen eating it or, god forbid, share it. I do need some more tools in my arsenal, though, if anyone has any to share.

Seagal

Oh gosh, I'm sorry it is such a hassle, but after 10 years, it is what it is.. gosh it isn't always easy, but we do what we do. Sorry if I'm not as sympathetic as I should be, but sheesh...we do what we do...ya know?

samuraiguy

I keep to my lower (not low) carb diet most of the time by giving myself an occasional, planned splurge meal or day which amounts to about 10% of the time. It makes it much easier to stick to my more restrictive diet the rest of the time if I know I can sneak a little indulgence in there once and awhile, i.e. instead of seeing something I used to indulge in and say, "Never again", I can say, "Not now." I had trouble keeping to my diet and thought making it even more restrictive was the answer to "cure" me of my cravings, but studies have shown diets that allow a "free" day or meal once a week (it's why Weightwatchers and Nutrisystem commercials now tout their "free" days) are three times as sustainable as those that tell you, "Once you start on this diet you can never, ever eat ________ ever again." When you plan for that indulgence you actually end up eating less of it. Remember, indulging doesn't have to mean uber-carby either, I do a lot of "half" carb things, i.e using half Splenda and half sugar or part almond and/or soy flour. Usually on major Holidays and just my B-day I go all out.

jwags

I've been at this 7 years. I wish I could say I am perfect but I am not. I try to stick to a 30-50 carb diet but I still need 2550 mg of met to get me under 100 fasting bgs. I have learned some days I can let up a little in the carbs and indulge in some ice cream or even a restaurant dessert. This is a life long chronic disease and you will have good days and bad days. don't let it become an obession.

GAgirl

All great posts! thanks!

I laughed at Miss Rubi's almonds, olives, and cheese...oh my....that's me!LOL

Yes, I know it is what it is, and I guess I needed to vent tonight and let it out to the people like you all who totally get it since we are in the same boat. :) Thanks for your postings!

I see if I have a free day I am s***wed, so for me, I need to be stricter as I am falling off too much and it's led to me wanting those cheat days every other day and no weight loss because of it. I do like the ide that it's food we NEED not for entertainment or emotional eating. Yes, if I ate something good and not great, it would be just food and I could eat it, move on and forget it. ok, moving ahead for tomorrow....

princesslinda

I've often said what I hate most about having diabetes is that once diagnosed, you will never, ever eat just be able to eat a meal without thinking about it (I call it "mindless eating"). It's always "how many carbs," "will I have a metformin moment if I eat this?" "am I sure it's really a sugar free drink?" "how much should I have." It does get aggravating at times.

Hooterville

I want badly to not care about food, to only want/need it for sustenance. Sometimes I'm successful and other times things sort of haunt me. The truth is that I like food and I like good tasting food. So, sometimes I eat for nourishment and other times I'll go all out and fix something really special. All in all, two years in to lchf, I don't have to dwell on it as much as in the beginning. I keep certain foods on hand and every trip to the grocery store isn't such a chore. In fact, it's simplified now because I don't keep near the number of things on hand as I used to when a ate a so-called normal diet. I skirt the perimeter of the store only with occasional forays down the baking aisle for sweeteners or the candy aisle for dark chocolate.

apollo322
I've often said what I hate most about having diabetes is that once diagnosed, you will never, ever eat just be able to eat a meal without thinking about it (I call it "mindless eating"). It's always "how many carbs," "will I have a metformin moment if I eat this?" "am I sure it's really a sugar free drink?" "how much should I have." It does get aggravating at times.

Bingo! That's exactly how I feel right there. The one thing I dreamed about when I started my own business was making enou money so I didn't have to think about it all the time. Now I've stayed pretty disciplined with my diet so I don't have to obsess over it but every once in a while you are reminded of your " difference". A friend of mine had a party the other day that, for the first time, I couldn't eat anything there without it being a cheat. I went down the street to a burger king, ate a lettuce wrapped whopper, and then went back. But it would have been nice to say " oh we'll the heck with it for tonight!"

makiro

I'm always thinking about food too lol.

Like what can I eat, if we go out to eat what can I eat so I won't upset the wife because I would just drink coffee. Then if it just the two of us, *her mom comes with us too at times*, then I see what she is in the mood for so I can pick off her plate. I also think of the soups if they have any.

At home I think of food too. I get cravings. Like for popcorn, ice pops, deli meat, cheese. After my surgery I have become a picky eater, but mainly because there are a lot of foods that I can't eat or are not worth me eating, but I do miss some of them.

GAgirl

I had stopped keeping a food log in my handy dandy old school spiral notebook in the kitchen a month or more ago, thinking I was very familiar with carb counts now so I didn't need to, but I realized I was snacking too much. Constantly doing to the open the fridge, out of boredom thing, and usually eating something....

Today I started tracking it again so I can stop snacking more than I should. I guess I need to keep doing this. I do feel like changing your lifestyle of eating for D especially LCHF is like having a kind of an eating disorder...still happy with the results and just don't want to fall back into bad eating habits.

jims_forum
I had stopped keeping a food log in my handy dandy old school spiral notebook in the kitchen a month or more ago, thinking I was very familiar with carb counts now so I didn't need to, but I realized I was snacking too much. Constantly doing to the open the fridge, out of boredom thing, and usually eating something....

Today I started tracking it again so I can stop snacking more than I should. I guess I need to keep doing this. I do feel like changing your lifestyle of eating for D especially LCHF is like having a kind of an eating disorder...still happy with the results and just don't want to fall back into bad eating habits.

GAgirl: Dang, there ARE NO shortcuts here only rigid discipline to prevent energy, glucose, leakage and gradual increase. Sometimes life no fun!

GAgirl

...and Jim , I am OKAY with that.:)..I like that, too. Makes me feel I have a purpose- to keep up my health! It makes me feel successful and happy to do it, too, since CFS/ME took many things from my life. I can do this, and though it is exhausting at times to plan, prepare, and carry out this way of eating and managing D, I am happy I am committed to it. Even when I fall off the wagon, it's sooo much better than it was before D and this lifestyle! I look at it as a blessing, even when it's hard. I am going to get a fancy journal to keep my food log in just for fun...I need to do it, so I will do it with fun and commitment...no harm in a bit of that, too!

rubidoux
I do feel like changing your lifestyle of eating for D especially LCHF is like having a kind of an eating disorder...still happy with the results and just don't want to fall back into bad eating habits.

I don't feel like LCHF is disordered eating, I feel like I eat much more sanely when I am very strict with LCHF. Also, for me (and I know I'm an extreme case, lol) eating once a day, which I have been sticking to pretty well lately, makes such a difference. When I do that there's no standing at the open refrigerator door bc I start forgetting about food. Now I just have to figure out how to stop falling off the wagon every few days. ;)

MalteseMom
I need to eat every 3 hours or I get feeling weird, even if my bg's are fine...

What kind of weird?

GAgirl

Just feeling like I have a sugar drop and it does, but not down low, usually around 90's , but I guess my body is sensitive to it and so I feel like I will faint and I get irritable if I cannot get to eat when that feeling hits. I have felt this way for the last 20 years even though dx'd in late June of tis year. I was dx'd as insulin resistant 15 years ago , but no meds or suggestions to track it with a meter...Wish I knew of this place then, would have started then instead of now after dx of T2.

JanetP

I love to cook and love to feed people and love to experiment in the kitchen. In my lifelong quest to reduce my fatness (which has failed so far) I have read a lot about eating disorders and the emotional and social aspects of eating. Jayne reminds me of a friend of mine who says food is fuel and nothing else.

From what I have learned about the gut-brain connection food is also a drug. Many of our neurotransmitters are made in the gut. Thus we have cravings. I have also learned that if our digestion is not working properly our food will not be absorbed and used correctly.

I have had lifelong problems with my gut, whether they are psychosomatic or functional I couldn't tell you. I'm working with natural medicine nutritionist to try and get my digestive problems under control since traditional medicine has never worked.

Now with the D, not only do I have to worry about how food will impact my blood sugar, but also whether or not it will send me screaming to the toilet to explode at one or both ends. Giving up wheat helped for a while, but it hasn't completely fixed the problem.

I have a love/ hate relationship with food. Maybe that is an eating disorder. I love to cook but I resent, and get very angry sometimes, that my diet has to be so limited now. Constantly thinking about food and planning what I am going to have available to eat, and cooking out of necessity not pleasure takes up time and energy I would rather devote to other things. And don't get me started on the expense, tut's another whole rant.

GAgirl

That's why I say it's LIKE one...it isn't , but the planning, the energy like you said, the constant thinking of food, is all consuming like one with an eating disorder does.

I take 250+billion refrigerated probiotics a day, and Caprilex...caprilic acid that helps keep down fungus and yeast, and bacteria in the gut, everyday. When I forget I can tell...Too much candida going on in this body and high triglycerides...all that excess sugar even on LCHF is just feeding that yeast and that gut bad bacteria. I don't thnk it's in your head, Janet...Keep on doing what you are doing! I even get a shot (allegrgy) for milk, and yeast, and take subligual yeast drops (allergy shot in liquid form) As needed up to every 2 hours. It tackles a different strain of yeast than the others do. I so get what you mean about the gut!!!

Tryska

I prep all my food on sundays and then just basically grab and go throughout the week.

But I am really getting sick of my pre-prepped breakfast eggs. (the ones I make in the oven). They are starting to taste disgusting more often then not. Fresh-cooked eggs are fine, but the freaking cooking and cleaning afterwards is too much at 5:30 am. Next week I am considering egg salad for breakfast.

I'm really having difficulty figuring out a proper dinner that just requires a microwave too.

I work full time, I volunteer and I am active within my local community so during the week I am pretty much on the go from the time I leave for work til 9 or 10 at night more often then not. I wish I could just eat once a day, but like GAGirl - I get cranky, headachy and feel like i'm going to pass out if I don't eat every few hours. And if I let myself go there - it's gonna be a carb binge to make the headache and nausea go away. I'm pretty sure my blood sugar doesn't drop below 100 but it sure feel like it.

JanetP

I have tried pre-prepping and I often cook up a large casserole or something and eat it for there our four days in a row. Also freezing microwaveable portions. It gets me by, but it is not very satisfying. I guess I want what I want when I want it( no discipline?) I eat when I am hungry, but if I go too long I get the same reaction you guys have. Sometimes I go 8-10 hours between eating and other days I graze all day.

Tryska
I have tried pre-prepping and I often cook up a large casserole or something and eat it for there our four days in a row. Also freezing microwaveable portions. It gets me by, but it is not very satisfying. I guess I want what I want when I want it( no discipline?) I eat when I am hungry, but if I go too long I get the same reaction you guys have. Sometimes I go 8-10 hours between eating and other days I graze all day.

So what do you with casseroles to work around the inevitable carb component? I wish I could be ok with a salad for dinner, but dinner time = "hot food" to me and I have difficulty with indigestion when I sleep with salad in my stomach. it's fine for lunch and I do that quite often earlier in the day. Just don't like it for the last meal of the day.

rubidoux
I need to eat every 3 hours or I get feeling weird, even if my bg's are fine...

I am wondering if you've ever tried to ignore this for a few days. It sounds an awful lot like a false hypo. Could it be that your body is not used to being at the low end of normal and would get used to it if you didn't always teat a 90 like a low? That might be totally wrong, but feeling like I *had* to eat every three hours would be such a monkey on my back. I'd never have been able to make any progress w any of my other issues (weight, blood sugar, etc) if I was trying to work around that.

From what I have learned about the gut-brain connection food is also a drug. Many of our neurotransmitters are made in the gut. Thus we have cravings. I have also learned that if our digestion is not working properly our food will not be absorbed and used correctly.

I have had lifelong problems with my gut, whether they are psychosomatic or functional I couldn't tell you. I'm working with natural medicine nutritionist to try and get my digestive problems under control since traditional medicine has never worked.

Now with the D, not only do I have to worry about how food will impact my blood sugar, but also whether or not it will send me screaming to the toilet to explode at one or both ends. Giving up wheat helped for a while, but it hasn't completely fixed the problem.

I have a love/ hate relationship with food. Maybe that is an eating disorder. I love to cook but I resent, and get very angry sometimes, that my diet has to be so limited now. Constantly thinking about food and planning what I am going to have available to eat, and cooking out of necessity not pleasure takes up time and energy I would rather devote to other things. And don't get me started on the expense, tut's another whole rant.

I have had all of these problems and complaints at some point and most of them currently. If I am very strictly LCHF and have no grains at all, my gut seems to get a lot better, maybe even to normal (who knows what that even is?). But I seem to be pretty sensitive and as soon as I have one cheat meal... Gah! I might be celiac. A lot of type I's are and I don't want to get tested bc in order to get true results on the blood test you need to eat wheat for several weeks. So, I think I'm better off proceeding on the assumption that I cannot eat wheat gluten (and poss other grains). I have some other symptoms too, besides my "IBS" symptoms flooding back, like getting very itchy (waking up with patches of skin scratched off!) and face breaking out. Sigh... I have wondered at times about yeast, too, or gut flora in general. I think in 20 or 30 years they'll be doing a lot more in terms of dx'ing and treating that stuff.

And I have no doubt that food (maybe just carbs? or some other subset, not sure) is a true addiction for me. :( Abstinence is the only way but it's so d*mned hard!

the constant thinking of food, is all consuming like one with an eating disorder does.

I have had periods of time where my planning and thinking about food was all consuming, like the first few years I low carbed. For me, that is a bad pattern to be in. During that period I stayed under 20 g carb for years and was probably 40-50 pounds overweight, and was steadily gaining. My blood sugar was awesome, but I made it a point that every single thing I put in my mouth was yummy and satisfying. I thought that it was so unfair that I couldn't have a yummy crusty bakery bread or a whole box of cookies or pumpkin scones or whatever, and I was determined to make everything I ate as close to what I wanted it to be as possible. But that meant there was no escaping overeating. As long as there is highly palatable food around, I eat it. That's what a food addiction is. I don't know if you have the same sort of addictive behaviors that I do, but if you don't want to think about food 24/7, you don't have to! You can eat very simply. And every meal does not have to be an occasion. You don't even have to have something yummy every day. You could eat a hunk of cold chicken for lunch and a hunk of cheese for dinner and your blood sugar would probably be perfect.

Lately, I've been trying to make things a little more palatable again, mostly bc I can't stand seeing my kids eat wheat all the time so I'm trying to cook LCHF meals that they will eat, too. (Of course, they get all the fruit and yogurt and well a whole list of foods that are forbidden to me that they want.) But I'm thinking I'm only gonna make a palatable meal every other day. So far I've done two of them and both have possibly backfired on me. :( The first one was taco soup and we all had it for dinner the night I made it and I did fine with it. But the next day I was home sick w a cold and I swear that soup was just screaming to me all day long and I think I must have eaten 2000 calories worth of freaking soup, of all things, by the end of the day. The second one I made last night -- chicken baked in homemade garlic mayo and parmesan -- and I did fine last night, but then like a serious dork this morning I did something that seems to mess me up on a regular basis. I managed to convince myself that I should go ahead and eat it now (was 11 am) and see if I can move my daily meal to a different time a day. But that has NEVER worked the bazillion times I tried it. Once I start eating I'm kinda screwed and just want to eat all day long. I am going to try to white knuckle it. In a little while I'm gonna have dh drop me off four miles away so I have to walk all the way home in the hopes that I'll feel so good about the exercise that I won't want to eat. Some people never learn, I swear!

I wish I could just eat once a day, but like GAGirl - I get cranky, headachy and feel like i'm going to pass out if I don't eat every few hours. And if I let myself go there - it's gonna be a carb binge to make the headache and nausea go away. I'm pretty sure my blood sugar doesn't drop below 100 but it sure feel like it.

I'm not at all trying to push my crazy way of doing things on anybody... but just wanted to say that I used to think this, practically right up to the day I started IF. I heard about IF a bunch of times and every time totally dismissed the idea as something only crazy people could do and I was convinced that my body would not cooperate, when in fact it turned out that the only time my body does cooperate is when I'm IF'ing.

Tryska

I'm not at all trying to push my crazy way of doing things on anybody... but just wanted to say that I used to think this, practically right up to the day I started IF. I heard about IF a bunch of times and every time totally dismissed the idea as something only crazy people could do and I was convinced that my body would not cooperate, when in fact it turned out that the only time my body does cooperate is when I'm IF'ing.

lol - I spent my late teens and most of my twenties "pushing through the hunger" because I thought it made me strong. Truth be told I think it set me up for many of the health issues I have been having since I turned 30. granted my way of fasting is probably very different from yours and if it works for you and you are doing well with it, more power to you. For me it's not a mentally healthy road to go down because not eating is one of my favorite past-times - to my own detriment. I've finally gotten to a point where I actually have hunger signals, and I want to keep honoring them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.