Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GAgirl

...like an eating disorder- constantly having to think about food!

rubidoux
lol - I spent my late teens and most of my twenties "pushing through the hunger" because I thought it made me strong. Truth be told I think it set me up for many of the health issues I have been having since I turned 30. granted my way of fasting is probably very different from yours and if it works for you and you are doing well with it, more power to you. For me it's not a mentally healthy road to go down because not eating is one of my favorite past-times - to my own detriment. I've finally gotten to a point where I actually have hunger signals, and I want to keep honoring them.

Ahhh, well, yours sounds like a very different case. I have never had a problem with not eating, quite the opposite! I'm happy you're coming out the other side. :)

JanetP

Speaking of casseroles. There is a really good broccoli casserole somewhere around here. I add bacon to it and top it with crushed fried pork rinds instead of almond meal. It also works well with summer squash.

About once a week i make a salad with 2 heads raw broccoli, 1 raw cauliflower, a little onion, a little diced tomato (not much, just enough to give it some flavor), olives, shredded cheese bacon, and ranch dressing (preferably homemade but not always). It makes a huge amount. I've been known to eat it for breakfast. A bowl of it will keep me satisfied for quite a while. I think boiled eggs or chopped ham would be good in it, too but haven't tried them yet.

DirtyHowi

dang, and here i was thinking i can finally have the deep fried butter at the fair this year and have it be in my diet :D.

JanetP

Well, it's possible! some of us eat high fat/low carb. Some people eat coconut oil right out of the jar (ick! I don't care for the taste of coconut) But be warned, if you are not used to eating coconut oil it can give you the runs. There are also recipes for fat bombs around that are pretty good. I made a batch of chocolate peanut butter ones once, then realized I had used the wrong kind of chocolate that contained sugar. I gave them to a friend who is a cook in a restaurant and he shared them with his line crew. Everyone got a bad case of the poops and I was mortified.

Since I have tightened up on carbs recently (after holiday eating) I don't get hungry very often now. But the least amount of sugar or wheat will send my appetite soaring. I haven't checked my urine but I expect I am in ketosis by now. By cutting back on carbs, I mean none but what is in the vegetables I eat. No sugar, no grains at all. When I do get hungry it is sudden because i often am preoccupied with something and go for a long time now without eating, not deliberately, the hunger just isn't there like it used to be.

But I do get darn sick and tired of having to think about every bite of food that goes into my mouth now!!

MalteseMom
Well, it's possible! some of us eat high fat/low carb. Some people eat coconut oil right out of the jar (ick! I don't care for the taste of coconut) But be warned, if you are not used to eating coconut oil it can give you the runs. There are also recipes for fat bombs around that are pretty good. I made a batch of chocolate peanut butter ones once, then realized I had used the wrong kind of chocolate that contained sugar. I gave them to a friend who is a cook in a restaurant and he shared them with his line crew. Everyone got a bad case of the poops and I was mortified.

Since I have tightened up on carbs recently (after holiday eating) I don't get hungry very often now. But the least amount of sugar or wheat will send my appetite soaring. I haven't checked my urine but I expect I am in ketosis by now. By cutting back on carbs, I mean none but what is in the vegetables I eat. No sugar, no grains at all. When I do get hungry it is sudden because i often am preoccupied with something and go for a long time now without eating, not deliberately, the hunger just isn't there like it used to be.

But I do get darn sick and tired of having to think about every bite of food that goes into my mouth now!!

Yes, it's possible! I'm still stunned at just how possible it is. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it does for those of us that are insulin resistant/carb sensitive. So far I've lost 26 lbs since Sept 30. I use the coconut oil (doesn't taste like coconut) in my special coffee. I don't call it bulletproof because that's a brand name using it's namesake coffee, but I make a 2 cup batch and hunger stays away for many hours. I have to force myself to eat a little something at lunch, otherwise, I'll be famished when hunger does hit. I've had diarrhea 2-3 times, but I don't think its the fat causing it. Metformin maybe? Maybe it is the fat but if it is it's not a daily problem. For 2 days now, I'm quite bloated and uncomfortable. I ate more Friday than usual, but not carbs, just volume (whole rack of naked ribs). Today I had a bit more than usual also, but few carbs. My bloodwork will be done about the 15th. I'm anxious to see those numbers. I really liked the flavor of the fat bombs I made before they were frozen, but after, not so much.

GAgirl

Just found this again and wanted to say that I was thinking of this the other day...

Food addicts, carb addicts, sugar addicts, whatever you want to call it, those of us who crave carbs  have it worse than a recovering drug addict or alcoholic in my mind.

We are constantly around it - foods that are too high in carbs and sugar.

Those othr addicts can stay away from the people they used to surround themselves with who drank or did drugs, and make a new environment free of the temptations, but food is something we have to have and it's everywhere, so where they can reduce temptations to fall off the wagons, we have to constantly deal with it every day no matter where we are, who we are with, what we decide to cook, etc...I think it's harder for food addicts, but I have never been an alcoholic or drug addict, so I am not trying to offend anyone who may feel different,,,this is just my personal take on it.

Meenie

Have ya'll tried BPC? (bullet proof coffee). I have it with breakfast each morning and don't think about food again all day! It's awesome. It's just coffee with a spoon of coconut oil and a spoon of butter... for me I add a splash of cream and some stevia. I was thinking about food ALL the time before! so I'm loving this stuff :)

Kenton

GAgirl,  have you tried Vitacost brand stevia powder ? It's usualy $7.49 for 5.2 ounces but they often have buy one get one free so you get a pile of it.

I like it because it does not have the bitter side note I taste in many of the stevia powders. Like most of the concentrated types a little goes a long way,

They say use 1/4 teaspoon but I found that was way to sweet for my coffee.

notme

Ok. I read every post and then got stuck on the "deep fried butter" post. Is there really such a thing as deep fried butter? I hope that was a joke. Ewwwww......

GAgirl

They do it the county fairs as a joke, but you have to pay for it! LOL

We had a deep fried Snicker's bar from the same vendor and it was really good! That was years ago before dx...Never did try the butter though. Hub got a deep fried Oreo.

GAgirl

Have ya'll tried BPC? (bullet proof coffee). I have it with breakfast each morning and don't think about food again all day! It's awesome. It's just coffee with a spoon of coconut oil and a spoon of butter... for me I add a splash of cream and some stevia. I was thinking about food ALL the time before! so I'm loving this stuff :)

I do! I don't like coconut oil, so I do grapeseed oil and HWCream and sometimes a pat of unsalted whipped butter (Breakstone's organic) but we are talking food addiction on this thread and no matter what you do you still want to revert to old habits....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.