Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Courtney7

Low sugars in newborns?

Courtney7

At a check up today the dr duscussed with me that their was a goid chance that my bubs may be born with low sugars snd if thus us the case ge would go to the nursery for 24/48hrs..Just wondering if any1 has had this with their new bub and what the experience was like and what treatment they have your bub?

notme

Yes. My daughter's baby was born and had low sugar. It really was not a big deal in her case. It is suggested that if Mom has had high blood sugar during pregnancy that baby will produce extra insulin to compensate for Mom's high glucose levels. Once baby is born, they are still producing this extra insulin.

In my daughter's case, the baby was given glucose water to raise the baby's blood sugar. They tested baby with heel sticks through the night and all was just fine. The biggest obstacle was getting the baby to take the bottle of glucose water. After the first bottle, all was fine. The baby never went to the nursery. Stayed with Mom the entire time.

They determined that my daughter had un-diagnosed gestational diabetes.

patricia52

My granddaughter was born with low blood sugar but within 48 hours her body had adjusted.the doctors didn't need to do anything extra.

rubidoux

My first didn't have any hypoglycemia, but my second one did. It was kinda terrible bc they said they were gonna keep him for 24 hours and I wasn't allowed to come to the nursery bc I had pre-eclampsia and was on a mag drip and, I could swear they said they wouldn't bring him to me to nurse. He was nearly 24 hours old at the time and I did not want to let go of him! So... they took him and kept him for about an hour and a half and then brought him back and said he was fine. I have always wondered what the deal was -- like, I kinda wonder if they were wrong about the hypoglycemia in the first place. At any rate, though, it was only an issue for us for a couple of hours.

It's funny, I have no idea what they gave him or how they gave it to him. I probably insisted on sugar water, but I think they like to give the babies formula. When I was pg with my first one, I made sure that everyone knew that he was not supposed to have cow milk proteins (early exposure has been correlated with type I diabetes) and not supposed to have a bottle, if he needed to be fed something, he was supposed to get a dropper. I was ADAMANT and had it noted everywhere (on his bassinet, on both of our charts, talked to every nurse and doc in sight). But apparently they just didn't give a d*mn bc they sent my husband (who had ORDERS from me not to leave baby alone with them at any cost) to get our bags from the room we had been in before the birth and the minute he walked away (was only gone a couple of minutes) they gave the little guy a bottle full of cow's milk protein! He wasn't low or anything, they just gave it to him for NO REASON AT ALL. lol I was livid, of course. But then by the time the second one came around I was much more relaxed. ;) So, I don't know and I swear I don't want to know what they gave him.

Tanikit

My first daughter was born with a vacuum extraction and had a huge haematoma on her head so she had to go to the NICU for that. While there her sugars did drop and she was eventually put on a drip with glucose in it. She remained there only one night, but I suspect she had problems beyond that as I really battled to feed her, she was tired all the time and then got jaundice as well. Eventually I got a breastfeeding consultant to help me and my baby stayed with me the entire time.

My second child they really tried hard to keep her out of the NICU - she was in the nursery all afternoon while they tried with bottles, formula and glucose water, but her sugars would not go up and she eventually landed up on a drip with glucose in in the NICU. She was there 4 days though could have gone home on the 3rd day but it was a Sunday and no one could discharge her.

It was hard - I wanted my babies with me. I had to go to the NICU every 3 hours to feed them and I felt like I was on their schedule rather than just being with my children. At the same time, I had fewer problems afterwards with my youngest and while it felt like an eternity I have had all the time since then with her and I'd rather she was healthy in the beginning.

Both my childrens sugar levels dropped into the 1s (18-36) after birth.

NDN

My son was born with low body temperature, which was found to be because of a blood sugar level of 18. They gave him formula once and he was fine.

Lizzie G

as someone else said, the baby produces insulin in the womb, in response to whatever it is provided with by the mother, so if the mothers bg is jigh the blood crossing the placenta will be higher in sugar and extra insulin production continues after birth. the good news is if you keep ypur control tight in the later part of pregnancy and in labour, this can be avoided. my son was born with and maintained blood sugars normal for a newborn.

mom24grlz

i am not diabetic. But my daughter Emely was born with low blood sugar. She was a big baby (almost 9 lbs). The first thing they did was encouraged me to breastfeed her right away. I nursed her a little and then they rechecked her BS. It brought it up, but not enough. Then they gave her some glucose water (via oral syringe to avoid nipple confusion) that did the trick. They checked her through out our stay (she roomed in with me) but her sugars were fine the rest of the hospital stay. This was before Ashleigh's DX, so i never thought to ask what the actual numbers were.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.