Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brandy919

Medication Suggestions Complications and More!

brandy919

My partner has type 2 diabetes being diagnosed in 2000. He has been taking metformin xr 750mg 2/day and glipizide 10mg 2/day

The last year or so, I really feel that his meds are doing NOTHING for him. His sugars are averaging fasting at 294 over the past 3 months.

His Dr has an open mind to changing his meds, but he keeps trying to put him on really expensive "NEW" drugs that are not covered by insurance yet. The last time he tried to change ALL his meds at once and the pharmacy called us to say that they didn't think we really wanted to have all the scripts filled, b/c the cost would be over $300 per month! That was WITH the insurance!!

So, the Dr, just said to keep taking what you're taking. That was last winter, fast forward to now, I have TRIED and TRIED to make healthy meals, at 250 lbs, he is ingesting about 2000 calories per day and less than 70 carbs per meal. Taking all meds, AND yet the fasting numbers average 294. The lowest number the last 3 months was 224, highest 368. I am petrified to say the least, I feel like I have no idea how long he can survive this way. we cannot find any doctors who are about working with us, just everyone wants to say watch what you eat, lose weight and exercise. These things seem to have no effect on the results.

Now, a little about my partner. He somehow feels that he will one day "OVERCOME" this, I know he will now and he is foolish to think this way. He is MISERABLE when he diets to a 1800 calorie diet. He HATES to exercise, sees no point to it, and every time he does, the sugars do not come down - Long or short term speaking. This past spring he was diagnosed with bleeding in the eyes, he has some spots. Laser surgery was done, we just went back for a check up 2 months afterwards, and there is still bleeding, I'm sure it's because of the high blood sugar numbers he's been having. He does not want to take insulin (I feel the opposite, I have told him it may be a matter of life or death)

Any suggestions anyone may have? What med combinations work for you? Do these meds just stop working? I feel very helpless and don't even know where to turn. Thanks for your input.

moneymeister

Brandy,

Many people here will have input, but basically 70 carbs per meal are likely WAYYY too many. You are right to worry about his health. have you looked around this website? many many threads address your concerns.

Your partner is responsible for his own journey. He CAN overcome it, but it worries me you are here and not him. Does he research his disease?

brandy919

He does not anymore :( He is depressed and chooses to hope for the best, it is in God's hands, etc.

I feel very lost, alone and sad :(

After all this time, I worry every day that he will not wake up, or he will collapse. I don't know what to do. His Dr won't even allow me in the room when he has an appointment to express my concerns, because we are not married

He will eat whatever I give to him and no more, but I know how he gets when he is still hungry or not satisfied after a meal. His sleep is very sporadic.

Toolbox

Laura is right...70 carbs per meal even exceeds the American Diabetes Association guidelines, which are guidelines most of us joke about because they are so lenient towards carbs. Most of us can't handle nearly that many, and neither can

your partner (apparently). "Cooking healthy" can be subjective I've found out. What the medical profession has told the past decades is healthy does not work very well with some diabetics, I'm finding out. For me its not about fat or calories.

It's all about carbs. Reduce the carbs, the weight starts coming off, the numbers start coming down.

How is he getting his 70 carbs? Rice, bread, potatoes?

apollo322

He should just get on insulin. If he's not going to change any of his lifestyle habits at all no pill can help him, at least the insulin might save his life. Convince him it's his best chance or have him come in and hopefully we'll do it. He will meet a lot of people who changed their lives and are a lot happier because of it too.

brandy919

I agree about the insulin, sad as it sounds, I feel like it's his only chance, if it's not too late already. I think he has given up. With the worries of everyday life, money issues, running a business, etc, I think he throws his hands up most of the time and just lets me handle it...

70 carbs comes from nothing "WHITE" - Brown rices, whole wheat pasta, kidney or black beans or whole grain bread, fruits including small apple, pear, fruit cocktail in jiuce or small (4 oz) glass of apple or orange juice once per day - That is the best I know to help fill him up...How many carbs per meal then?

Thank you for your help

jenb

He needs insulin. That is probably not going to change, regardless of his diet. Do you know what his objection to insulin is? Has his doctor used the "threat" of insulin to get him to effect dietary change? Insulin is a great tool for many T2 diabetics and should never be presented as a punishment.

It may help your partner to read a little bit about how insulin works. Get Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. Scheiner writes in a very conversational tone and provides information that only someone familiar with the day-to-day ins and outs of it can. It doesn't have to be scary or painful. It's just another tool in one's arsenal.

Jen

brandy919

His Dad was sick for a long time with cancer before he died at 44years old. my partner is currently 47 years old. His Dad had many needles, tubes, etc and I think he may see that he is mirroring his Dad's fate. Also is a failure. Yes, we have gone thru 3 Dr's over the past 13 years (one stopped seeing him bc of insurance)the other did not see eye to eye, he just kept putting everythnig in diabetes - you have a cold, it's bc of your uncontrolled diabetes, you have a cramp in your leg, it's the uncntrolled diabetes.

This one is a self help type Dr, he wants us to get his sugar down. He doesn't feel the last resort - insulin, is the way to go (last resort???). Nor the gastric bypass surgery. I disagree with both. I am afraid I know what the outcome will be if both of these things are avoided.

He is also afraid of insulin as the LAST thing he can try - after that it's just a death sentence....

jwags

Welcome to the forum. Usually when fastings are that high a long acting insulin is called for. As diabetics we all have different tolerances for carbs. I eat between 10-20 carbs per meal. I still eat lots of calories. I am a petite 115 pounds and eat 1800-2000 calories most days. But most of the calories come from fat, not carbs. Your partner is a big guy and needs food. Try making 3 scrambled eggs and sausage and bacon and a bowl of berries for breakfast. lunch could be a big bowl of tuna or chicken salad or a low carb wrap withndeli meat and cheese. Dinner could be a juicy steak, pork chop, seafood or chicken with a salad and veggie. Even swapping white potatoes for sweet potatoes or squash. There are even low carb desserts you can make with almond flour and an alternative sweetner. My hubbie is also diabetic and likes to believe he doesn't have it. Take a look at our recipes they are pretty good.

apollo322
His Dad was sick for a long time with cancer before he died at 44years old. my partner is currently 47 years old. His Dad had many needles, tubes, etc and I think he may see that he is mirroring his Dad's fate. Also is a failure. Yes, we have gone thru 3 Dr's over the past 13 years (one stopped seeing him bc of insurance)the other did not see eye to eye, he just kept putting everythnig in diabetes - you have a cold, it's bc of your uncontrolled diabetes, you have a cramp in your leg, it's the uncntrolled diabetes.

This one is a self help type Dr, he wants us to get his sugar down. He doesn't feel the last resort - insulin, is the way to go (last resort???). Nor the gastric bypass surgery. I disagree with both. I am afraid I know what the outcome will be if both of these things are avoided.

He is also afraid of insulin as the LAST thing he can try - after that it's just a death sentence....

The thing about insulin is it's not a " try ". It's going to work guaranteed ! May take a while to get it just right but his numbers will come down and get in a much more controlled state. That alone may be enough for him to stop " giving up", just seeing some success usually helps the fight. If he stays at the numbers he has now he's likely to have some serious health issues sooner than later. You already said his eyes have begun getting spots. Get him to do it before it's too late and a leg comes off or something else terrible happens. Good luck.

moneymeister

Wow Brandy...you are in a tough place. I agree with the idea of insulin. The high sugars burn up the cells that create insulin. In time many diabetics need insulin to keep their sugar under control. He will feel better and have energy again. When his sugar is so high and he has too little insulin, his cells cannot use the sugar in the system. He will start to waste away in time. Uncontrolled diabetes WOULD make someone feel terrible and tired. Please see the doctor about insulin...and maybe consider changing to a doctor that will be a little more involved in helping your S/o get a handle on things. Don't forget, you are not responsible for his illness. It is up to him to manage it.

He does not anymore :( He is depressed and chooses to hope for the best, it is in God's hands, etc.

I feel very lost, alone and sad :(

After all this time, I worry every day that he will not wake up, or he will collapse. I don't know what to do. His Dr won't even allow me in the room when he has an appointment to express my concerns, because we are not married

He will eat whatever I give to him and no more, but I know how he gets when he is still hungry or not satisfied after a meal. His sleep is very sporadic.

brandy919

Thank you all again, I also think that he fears how he feels when his sugars are low. Low for him is in the 180's - he feels exhausted when his number are there. So I BELIEVE he fears when his sugars are in a healthy range, he will feel awful and not want to / be able to do anything. He is typically a very Mind-active guy...

He goes 24 hrs sometimes without sleep because he is working on business ideas, projects, etc. I think if that is taken away from him, it is part of him that is no longer there. I can't find a way to convince him it doesnt matter how he feels, he needs to have his health or he will end up suffering and feeling worse. His friend who has type 1 is currently in the hospital having his foot amputated. It aches me to talk to his friend.

Most insulins are in a pen now, is that correct? not a syringe and bottle, etc? Does anyone have any info about the physical doing of insulin?

Thank you

rubidoux

He will probably feel crappy for a few days, but I don't think it would be longer than that and once he acclimates to lower b/s, he'll feel fine.

I wonder what would happen if you put him on a super low carb diet. Would he do it? I'm type I, so not sure how much diet alone can accomplish but I would think it could make a big difference, and he wouldn't have to worry about being low, I don't think.

brandy919

He will eat anything I give him and he is willing to try anything. The reason I did 70 carbs per meal - that is what sparkpeople put for the diabetic menu plan in their meal plans. How low should I go? I will try anything and I will start immediately

Toolbox
He will eat anything I give him and he is willing to try anything. The reason I did 70 carbs per meal - that is what sparkpeople put for the diabetic menu plan in their meal plans. How low should I go? I will try anything and I will start immediately

Someone will jump in on this one but I think you can go as low as he will tolerate. A lot of us cannot tolerate fruit juices, whole wheat bread, brown rice and the sort. Go back up and read Jwags post. For me, she hit the nail on the head.

The man does not need to go hungry. That is why most diets fail. I'm sure he won't complain about a juicy steak with salad.

jwags

Get a hold of a book called Diabetes Solution by Dr Richard Bernstein. He is a type 1 diabetic who was very poorly controlled. He was an engineer but went to Med school in his 40's to be able to treat diabetics. He is now almost 80 and very well controlled and extremely healthy. His book explains diabetes and what happens when bgs are too high or low. He believes innjsing the right meds or insulin to get normal bgs. He has a diet with recipes in the back of the book. My hisband is afraid of needles and won't even test his bg. He is also afraid of ever having to go on insulin. I am fairlymwell controlled but kmow I will need insulin at some point. They have both syringes and the new pens which are more expensive. Your diabetes nurse can show you how to use insulin.

brandy919

I will definitely go that route tomorrow (he is already in bed tonight - felt exhausted) I don't have much money for juicy steaks and he doesnt like chicken breast, but he does like chicken salad and thighs...pork is great as well as salads and eggs we do already for breakfast every morning already...

Thank you again, I have been feeling so helpless and I don't know where to go for help and to just have a general support system - our son is 8 - he knows dad is sick but is too young to really understand and I have no relationship with family (Father deceases, Mom - no relationship there)) to be a support system for me. So, again, thanks, I think I will enjoy the information I can find here - I am browsing the what did you have for breakfast this morning thread :)

brandy919

Thank you truly, I will try to find that book to purchase online :)

Get a hold of a book called Diabetes Solution by Dr Richard Bernstein. He is a type 1 diabetic who was very poorly controlled. He was an engineer but went to Med school in his 40's to be able to treat diabetics. He is now almost 80 and very well controlled and extremely healthy. His book explains diabetes and what happens when bgs are too high or low. He believes innjsing the right meds or insulin to get normal bgs. He has a diet with recipes in the back of the book. My hisband is afraid of needles and won't even test his bg. He is also afraid of ever having to go on insulin. I am fairlymwell controlled but kmow I will need insulin at some point. They have both syringes and the new pens which are more expensive. Your diabetes nurse can show you how to use insulin.

Phoenix

brandi - i don't have anything to add to all the great suggestions people have already given. all i want to do is give you a great big hug. [beaming love and support to you] the Big D is no joy ride - not for those who have it or those who love the ones who have it.

make sure you have lots of joyful things to do and think about....

brandy919

*SIGH* Thank You Very Much :)

I have my son. I love him more than anything, and he keeps me going even when things are bad

brandi - i don't have anything to add to all the great suggestions people have already given. all i want to do is give you a great big hug. [beaming love and support to you] the Big D is no joy ride - not for those who have it or those who love the ones who have it.

make sure you have lots of joyful things to do and think about....

Toolbox

He's like me, a dark meat kind of guy...Give him grilled thighs, legs or whatever he wants. Eat the skin too. Shop only around the outside edge of the grocery store. Veggies, meats, some dairy, berries. Those are the foods a lot of us

can tolerate the most. Stay away from the middle aisles in the store unless your buying napkins or soap!

brandy919

Thank you, I will do :) Guess its time for some revised food shopping - Hope to not create problems with my little guy, he is a fussy little boy...

moneymeister

You know those are false hypos, right? His body will adjust to the lower numbers. Start slowly, give his body a few days to adjust. We have TONS of threads on here that are from new people like yourself looking for answers. Keep reading :) Good luck!

Thank you all again, I also think that he fears how he feels when his sugars are low. Low for him is in the 180's - he feels exhausted when his number are there. So I BELIEVE he fears when his sugars are in a healthy range, he will feel awful and not want to / be able to do anything. He is typically a very Mind-active guy...

He goes 24 hrs sometimes without sleep because he is working on business ideas, projects, etc. I think if that is taken away from him, it is part of him that is no longer there. I can't find a way to convince him it doesnt matter how he feels, he needs to have his health or he will end up suffering and feeling worse. His friend who has type 1 is currently in the hospital having his foot amputated. It aches me to talk to his friend.

Most insulins are in a pen now, is that correct? not a syringe and bottle, etc? Does anyone have any info about the physical doing of insulin?

Thank you

moneymeister

Hey Toolbox, I love how you put this.

He's like me, a dark meat kind of guy...Give him grilled thighs, legs or whatever he wants. Eat the skin too. Shop only around the outside edge of the grocery store. Veggies, meats, some dairy, berries. Those are the foods a lot of us

can tolerate the most. Stay away from the middle aisles in the store unless your buying napkins or soap!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.