Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brandy919

Medication Suggestions Complications and More!

Caravaggio

False hypos - if someone who is used to having high blood glucose like your partner reduces his carb intake and his blood glucose goes down (without going down to a hypoglycemic (or hypo) number, which would be around 50 or below), he may exhibit the symptoms of hypoglycemia even if his blood glucose is not that low. For example, someone who is used to having BGs around 230 may feel like he is having a hypo when his BG goes down to 150.

I second Laura's suggestion of doing it slowly. From your description, your partner will likely have a tough time if you drastically cut his carb intake. This will get him to get used to lower blood glucose and a different way of eating. It also helps him figure out what types of food he prefers to eat, what he cannot live without and how he can find a way to incorporate that into his diet, and what daily carb intake he can be happy with. Eating properly is not a short-term solution for Type 2 diabetics; it is an important part of our life-long relationship with Type 2 diabetes.

Tanikit

Since you are feeding him and he will eat it I would go low carb - the easiest way to do this is to reasearch (read the posts here about what people are eating - look under dieting and nutrition - meat with some vegetables that are low carb is an easy way to lower carbs and skip all rice, potatoes etc) If you add in high fat then generally he should not feel so hungry - fat does raise the calories, but you can probably stay away from calorie counting initially and see how he feels - read the threads! There is a ton of advice on what to eat as a type 2 diabetic on here. Then wait a little while while testing and see how much influence it has on his sugars.

Based on the numbers you are seeing though he will more than likely need at least a long acting insulin - why is the doctor seeing insulin as the last resort or is it your bf who sees it as a last resort. He already has complications and they will keep getting worse til he gets this under control so maybe he needs to believe he is at the last resort if you cannot get him to see it is not a last resort.

He may need to lower his blood sugar slightly slower than normal when he does finally get on insulin so that he can get used to the lower levels else he will feel horrible - he could gradually add more and more insulin every few days instead of a huge amount to get his levels normal all in one go. How old is he and what other problems does he have? He may at some point need insulin before every meal too but maybe because he is so resistant he should start with a long acting one and see what effect that has while you lower the carbs for him.

MalteseMom
Thank you all again, I also think that he fears how he feels when his sugars are low. Low for him is in the 180's - he feels exhausted when his number are there. So I BELIEVE he fears when his sugars are in a healthy range, he will feel awful and not want to / be able to do anything. He is typically a very Mind-active guy...

He goes 24 hrs sometimes without sleep because he is working on business ideas, projects, etc. I think if that is taken away from him, it is part of him that is no longer there. I can't find a way to convince him it doesnt matter how he feels, he needs to have his health or he will end up suffering and feeling worse. His friend who has type 1 is currently in the hospital having his foot amputated. It aches me to talk to his friend. Most insulins are in a pen now, is that correct? not a syringe and bottle, etc? Does anyone have any info about the physical doing of insulin? Thank you

Brandy, I have such compassion for both of you in this struggle. I can say for sure that his feelings of depression and hopelessness are directly related to the high glucose in his system. Even at his lows of 180 it's still too high. I'm sure of it because I was there, too. My numbers were not as high as his, but I bet I was eating as many if not more carbs than him and for the longest time I blamed other meds i'm on for the depression, etc, but I know now it was the constant flood of glucose. Just since Sept 30 my numbers have dropped from 126/140 fasting to 86-97. and my 14 day average Fasting Blood Glucose as dropped from 152 to 109. One month!! There is hope for you and him. Hang in there. I agree with the consensus that you should drop the amount of carbs in increments. I'm a carb-oholic and after binging as my BG levels began dropping, I'd feel like I was starving and be shaky and grumpy, etc. I was never able to eat low carb for any length of time because I was always hungry. ...that is, until I found this sight. I now eat 27-30 carbs per day (working on making it less) and followed the advice of the wonderful ladies on this site...increase fat. So the first couple of weeks, I didn't count calories or anything. I was stuffed most of the time and was never hungry. I'm starting to lose weight now too, such a bonus! But your partner really does need to plug in, to save his own life. It's wonderful that you are willing to do all that you can do, but he needs to care as much also. I thought I'd never be able to change my thinking. Dr's have scolded me for years. Look at me now! Prayers for you both. Never give up hope, but reinforce it with action.

jwags

Here are some of my favorite meals

Bacon cheeseburger, sauteed mushrooms, big salad

Tacos on low carb tortillas with guacamole and lettuce and cheese

Meatloaf made with ground beef, eggs and almond flour and onions and roasted sweet potstoes

Beef Stew

Most soups just leave out noodles

Any type of eggs or fritatatas

here are some free websites I like to get

ideas from

All Day I Dream About Food | Low Carb Recipes, Amazing Food

Gourmet Girl Cooks

Your Lighter Side | Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Low-Carb, Atkins, Diabetic, Ketogenic Healthy Eating

http://www.lowcarbdietss.about.com

Comfy Belly | healthy recipes & treats {gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, allergy-friendly, Paleo, SCD/GAPS}

http://www.elanaspantry.com

Toolbox

False hypo's = cranky. Very cranky. This is from my wife's perspective about ME!! As others have stated, he needs to work through these. They do go away.

brandy919

He was very frustrated aain this morning, hasn't eaten anything since 6pm last night...fasting number is 288 ...hardly even ate yesterday ... now eating scrambled eggs and 2 pcs whole wheat toast with 11 net carbs per slice....yogurt with 8 carbs.....its still less than normal. I didn't get out to shop yet for bacon, etc. Thanks for the website suggestions I will check them out

jwags

With type 2's not eating often makes our bgs higher. Our livers convert stored carbs into glucose. So make sure he eats small mini meals during the day. Look for unsweet greek yogurt and add your own berries. Bread is tricky for a lot of us. Wheat tends to be inflammatory and raises our bgs. The only bread I can tolerate is sprouted bread. you can also make LC pancakes with almond flour.

brandy919

Thank you I will be looking into almond flour...what section of the store would I find that? We did a salad, mushroom burgers, and cauliflower for dinner. Thinking of sugar free jello for a snack later oh, also snacked on pb celery and cucumbers earlier this afternoon...we shall see if there is any hope in the coming days....

makiro

Most chain supermarkets don't carry it. Those that do would be on a top shelf in the baking isle best the floor and yeast.

Sprouts and whole foods would have it.

jwags

Trader Joes has Almond meal. Some stores carry almond flour innthe natural foods aisle but it is pricey. I buy mine online at Honeyville Grains. Amazon and Nuts.com also have it. For a snack I eat Breyers Carbsmart Ice Cream

Tryska

70 carbs comes from nothing "WHITE" - Brown rices, whole wheat pasta, kidney or black beans or whole grain bread, fruits including small apple, pear, fruit cocktail in jiuce or small (4 oz) glass of apple or orange juice once per day - That is the best I know to help fill him up...How many carbs per meal then?

Thank you for your help

I am probably way late to this thread, and I am new to eating to my meter, but all of these things will spike me close to 300, except for the beans (I don't know what they will do - will find out tonight) and raw apple or pear. I would say fill that man with bacon, eggs, steak, butter...he'll prolly love you for it - just no starches or sugars.

Tryska

Brandy - the almond flour at the grocery store will be with the Bobs Red Mill stuff - in the natural/gluten free section. If not - you can buy it online (amazon) , or make it yourself:

Make Your Own (Cheaper!) Almond Flour « Detoxinista

RE: ice cream - I just found something better than ice cream, for me at least - homemade dry curd cottage cheese mixed with heavy cream, a few blueberries and a squirt of raw honey. That totally hits that "cold creamy, sweet" spot.

Seagal

If one isn't up to grinding their own almond flour, haven't looked at Amazon for almond flour, but if it isn't less than $39 with 4.49 shipping (5#), then Honeyville Grain is the place to go. The exception would be Trader Joe's where it is less than $5 per pound (for unblanched).

Today through Friday is the Honeyville Grain 20% off - using the code GIFT upon check-out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.