Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seagal

Almond Butter Bread (Previously Almond Crusted Cake)

Seagal

Here is the nutritional breakdown for the Cake that Georgia posted and I eliminated some ingredients and made a "bread". It was a bit bland, but held up well to grilled cheese sandwiches and toast with our eggs this morning. Yesterday's number pre cheese sandwich was 88 and 2-1/2 hrs 91. This a.m. pre eggs & toast was 99 2-1/2 hrs. 103about 3 hrs, number is down to 94. So it seems to work well for me.

This was the recipe made with cream (Based on 12 servings)

Ingredients:

Almond Flour (blanched), 3 cup

Protein Powder -Any Whey, 1 serving (equal to one heaping scoop or 1/3 cup)

Baking Powder, 1.5 tsp

Baking Soda, 1 tsp

salt, 1 serving

Butter, unsalted, 1 stick

Egg, fresh, whole, raw, 3 large

heavy whipping cream, 0.5 cup (I have tried it with 1/4 c. cream and the rest water and is ok, but didn't put that in the nutritional data)

Calories 136.9

Fat 12.6

Carbs 0.8

Fiber 0.8

Sugar 0.1

Protein 4.8

This is the recipe for those who use almond milk: (Based on 12 servings)

Almond Flour (blanched), 3 cup

Protein Powder -Any Whey, 1 serving (equal to one heaping scoop or 1/3 cup)

Baking Powder, 1.5 tsp

Baking Soda, 1 tsp

salt, 1 serving

Butter, unsalted, 1 stick

Egg, fresh, whole, raw, 3 large

Almond Breeze Almond Milk, Unsweetened Original, shelf stable, 4 oz

Calories 138.6

Fat 12.8

Carbs 0.9

Fiber 0.8

Sugar 0.1

Protein 4.9

These calculations were made here:http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

uttercaro

Thanks, Seagal. I'm going to try this soon. How much is a "serving" of salt? (I probably won't add it, because we use salted butter, but others might want to know.)

Caro

Seagal

Because the recipe analyzer I used didn't allow for the measurement of 1/2 tsp., and it seemed to think that amount was a serving, that is what I used. Remember, it is 1/2 tsp. for 12 servings.

I think it really needs the salt though, and I may add parmesan cheese next time. I think it could be a basis for almost anything.

Seagal
I was just wondering if I should add more slat and seasonings since the extracts are out and it's now a bread?

I think it really needs the salt though, and I may add parmesan cheese next time. I think it could be a basis for almost anything.

As I posted in the other thread, it is good as a bread, but there is something missing, whether it be salt or spices, I'm not sure. Whatever I use, I would want it to be ok for sandwich bread or toast, so I don't think rosemary, thyme or garlic would work. Guess one could make a sandwich loaf and a seasoned loaf with cheese & chopped olives. Since it is so low in carbs, I'm not going to do a nutritional breakdown on whatever I add.

I took a small piece and put some s.f. syrup on it....very tasty with some tea:) Probably make good french toast too!

GAgirl

Do you think it needs more whey powder to make it more gleutenous? Almond flour always has a sweet taste in my opinion as well...so maybe that has something to do with it, too but you just cannot put the finger on it.

uttercaro

I'll probably add 2 tablespoons of parmesan when I try it, and I'll post how that turns out. Thanks again.

Caro

Seagal

GA, that might be it! It does have a "sweet smell", not exactly a sweet taste tho. I sure would hate to fool around with the texture by adding more whey, by the time we are finished it might be a whole different recipe:) Possibly reduce the almond flour 1/2 cup and increase the whey 1/2 cup(plus the 1/3).

Seagal

When adding more whey powder, it makes it very dry, so I added more eggs & cream mixture, also, the corn bran soaks up liquid like a sponge. I always take a dab of batter, and microwave it to see how it will come out. Here is what I did differently than previous bread recipe, all other ingredients the same:

Corn Bread

3 c. almond flour

3/4 c. corn bran (Honeyvile grains 23 carbs and 17 fiber per 28g)**** (adds 36 net carbs to total recipe, or about 3 carbs per serving)

1/3/+1/4 c. whey

4 eggs

1/2 c. olive oil

1/2 c cream-1/2 c. water

red pepper flakes

onion powder

additional salt

It made a loaf (in the oven now) and 24 mini muffins. Of course, I had to taste the "nuked" ones, so will check my b.g. around noon and see the damage from the corn bran. I used to use it a year or so ago because Marty had some good recipes with it, but haven't used in ages.

****if my figures are right, the 3/4 cup corn bran adds 138 carbs (deduct fiber and net carbs are 36)to the 12 serving +24 mini muffins. If I do this again, I would use 1/4c corn bran, been so long since I used it, I was going by measurements for flax meal.

Seagal

Tried to put in a pix, but there was an error. Came out pretty good, the loaf is rather rustic looking. If I can figure out the error in the uploading, I will post.

My number prior to the taste testing was 99, 1-1/2 hrs. 109. Will see what it is at 1:30, but so far, so good.

GAgirl
Tried to put in a pix, but there was an error. Came out pretty good, the loaf is rather rustic looking. If I can figure out the error in the uploading, I will post.

My number prior to the taste testing was 99, 1-1/2 hrs. 109. Will see what it is at 1:30, but so far, so good.

If you are truing to post in Internet Explorer you can't anymore. Log in to Google Chrome or firefox and then post from there. that's what I have to do now, too.

Seagal

Just thinkin' 3/4 c. corn bran is a bit too much. The lil muffins tasted really good, and the red pepper flakes gave a subtle amount of heat/flavor.

I'm going to do it again with 1/4 c. corn bran, and all the rest. Dh likes it, thinks it would be good with chili, in fact I'm thinkin' of putting chopped chilies in the next batch with a bit of my homemade taco seasoning. This stuff should freeze ok and having in the freezer when chili time comes would be very good.

My numbers went to 113 and back down to under 100, so I'm ok with that.

Seagal

Another idea, the "cornbread" taste for turkey stuffing. I may make some croutons in the oven and see if they will stand up for a dressing for Tday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.