Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Courtney7

contraception after birth?

Courtney7

Hi all I had my amazing boy 4 weeks ago and we are all doing well, he came at 36 weeks 2 days at 8.8 pounds! Little chub.. Spent 11days in special cause due to low blood glucose and jaundice but all is well now!

...I now have a question about diabetes and contraception.

I was never on any real form of contraception as I had always been told it was near impossible for me to have a baby and it took me so long to get him but now it's happened u want to safe guard myself for at least the next few treats so my question is what are your views and experiences with the pill / mini pill, marena/iud or the implanting rod.. I have read mixed reviews on diabetes and glucose levels going crazy on certain ones etc, really need advice, my local gp can give me info on the effectiveness but really dosnt help with how they might effect my type 1 diabetes.

princesslinda

My comment may not be all that relevant to you, as I'm T2, age 49. I was recently restarted on birth control pills due to uterine fibroid. My previous experience with OCPs were in my pre-D days, I took them for about 8 years. I haven't noticed any change in my blood sugar readings since being on it. I have noticed much lighter periods though. I know that people with high blood pressure sometimes have a problem with it causing higher readings. I am taking the mini-pill, as I have high blood pressure, and my GYN felt it was best for me, esp. since I don't need it for contraceptive reasons (husband had vasectomy years ago). I work with a T1 who I know has an IUD and seems to be doing fine.

Lizzie G

Congratulations on your little boy!

Bizarre how doctors have these weird (unfounded) ideas about diabetes and getting pregnant, i've been pregnant 3 times and each time have got pregnant the first month of trying, as have others i know with type 1....maybe its another to add to the ridiculous list that includes 'not being allowed' to eat certain foods!

I have never liked hormonal contraceptives and never tried them since being type 1. after my son i found childbirth injuries quite enough to encourage the 'abstinence method' for quite some time, but we have always used condoms with success; not the most romantic addition to the bedroom routine but always served us well enough.

my only suggestion is to try oral pills rather than an implant or similar until you know how you react to the hormones, with some of these longer acting things if you dont like them you have to go through the rigmarole of having them removed.

Good luck!

Lady Imp

I never had any issues with the pill and it affecting my blood sugars, but everyone is different. I would recommend talking to your endo about it and seeing what they suggest. Personally, I'm not a fan of IUDs or anything like that just cause they creep me out, and the Depo shot makes you gain weight big time, so those are other factors to consider.

As a side note, I was once told that it would be **** near impossible for me to get pregnant by my general practitioner...hahahahahaha *cough*. I really wonder where doctors are getting this idea from. It may have something to do with the fact that it's believed that conditions have to be "perfect" before implantation will occur, and let's face it, two potato chips can disrupt our perfect conditions. Either way, I'm getting my tubes tied after this one, we're so done.

Lizzie G
I never had any issues with the pill and it affecting my blood sugars, but everyone is different. I would recommend talking to your endo about it and seeing what they suggest. Personally, I'm not a fan of IUDs or anything like that just cause they creep me out, and the Depo shot makes you gain weight big time, so those are other factors to consider.

As a side note, I was once told that it would be **** near impossible for me to get pregnant by my general practitioner...hahahahahaha *cough*. I really wonder where doctors are getting this idea from. It may have something to do with the fact that it's believed that conditions have to be "perfect" before implantation will occur, and let's face it, two potato chips can disrupt our perfect conditions. Either way, I'm getting my tubes tied after this one, we're so done.

hehe so with you on being so done after this one! when are you due? second? third? fourth? even more?!!

Tanikit

I agree - where do they get those ideas from? I fell pregnant by mistake the first time (we'd only been married 4 months and had not been trying at all) and the second time we did try and I was pregnant the first month. I do not use contraceptives at the moment - condoms work fine. I was on them for a while after breastfeeding my eldest but they didn't agree with me and I was very glad to stop them. I have never had an IUD and the doctors here will not agree to put one in (more diabetic beliefs) - suits me fine about that one though.

patricia52

My daughter in law had some really bad issues with the IUD. A friend had problems with the rods. I think I would start with the pills. If the hormones do not bother me, I would probably try the 3-month shot. I could not tolerate the hormones, so I opted for getting my tubes tied, I knew I did not want another pregnancy, even if something happened to one of my children.

Lady Imp
hehe so with you on being so done after this one! when are you due? second? third? fourth? even more?!!

Due Feb 19th. This is my second, my husband's first. We were originally not going to have children at all...and then an overly excited "yay you're home!" night changed that LOL. We do feel though that our family is complete with just the little bean, she's already got a cousin on the way, she'll do fine without a sibling (my son is with his father...very very very ugly situation). I'm just so done being pregnant, I really don't wanna hafta go through this again...I know that it will be worth it when she arrives, but I also know that we'll be complete with just the three of us. And an English bulldog, if hubby gets his way....

Lady Imp
I agree - where do they get those ideas from? I fell pregnant by mistake the first time (we'd only been married 4 months and had not been trying at all) and the second time we did try and I was pregnant the first month. I do not use contraceptives at the moment - condoms work fine. I was on them for a while after breastfeeding my eldest but they didn't agree with me and I was very glad to stop them. I have never had an IUD and the doctors here will not agree to put one in (more diabetic beliefs) - suits me fine about that one though.

Hormonal diabetic beliefs or no, IUDs straight-up give me the heebie-jeebies. The whole thought of a piece of plastic being up in there 24/7 *shudder* my skin is creeping just thinking about it...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.