Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lizzie G

32 weeks and i seem to have a non diabetes related big boy!

Lizzie G

well, as the title says really! went for second growth scan yesterday and seem to have a big lad. unfortunately obstetrician was busy so had to see diabetologist first who of course leapt to conclusions yet couldnt understand why my hba1c of 5.5 and readings from past month correlated with this and was cross examining me about what mightbe happening outside the 10-15 tests a day. anyway, finally saw the ob

who looked at the sequential scans and simply said "this is a big baby. nothing to do with diabetes, his growth is perfect, he would be this big regardless". she was unsurprised to hear that of my mothers four babies there wad a 9 & a 10.5 pounder and that she herself tipped the scales at almost 10 pounds! so all is well, plan still to allow me to go to 41 weeks unless the size goes crazy and he doesnt turm (hes currently breech)..

jwags

My DIL gave birth last summer. They told her he was going to be a big baby all through the pregnancy. He was born 3 weeks early and was only 6 lbs 4 oz.

k_dub

Lizzie - what was their estimate on weight? I'm curious. Of course, there is decently large margin of error on those estimates, anyhow.

I'm 6'1'' - not small, so...I'm not convinced that a big baby for me would be diabetes related either!

I had growth ultrasound on Monday - they estimated his weight at 33w3d as 5lbs 3oz and in the 64th percentile for weight. His feet are huge, apparently. That's all the nurses keep talking about.

Tanikit

Some babies are just big - that is why there is a curve - someone has to be in the bigger part of the curve and boy babies also tend to be bigger too. Congrats on an hba1c of 5.5! There is still plenty of time for him to turn - I think they don't worry til about 36 weeks - is he a busy boy?

Lizzie G

thanks for all your comments!

his weight estimate was about 4 and a halfpounds i believe. i know iv said this before but when you say diabetes i really do think the sonlgrapher makes a more generous measurement! when i mentioned that to ob she agreed. with my son they were saying he would be a full pound heavier than he turned out. we will see. i think at 36 week scan i am going to ask where the sonographer measures on abdomen and why ie why not right on the perimeter [like i see on all the images i have checked online] and if he looks huge im going to insist on being scanned by ob to make sure its unbiased and accurate.

hes not been a busy boy like his brother until now, iv felt him a lot but not so intense but i think due his position abdominal fat has cushioned his kicks. during the night though hes been crazy and i wonder whether he may have turned. im not one of these people that can tell which bit i can feel!

every time i have a scan they ask if i know what im having and when i say yes they smile and focus in on a big pair..... im actually a little scared of this!!!

kelly wow you are so tall! 64th percentile is quite small considering! im glad its going well. are you still flying with work? when do you finish? im not until jan 9th (which conveniently means i can book first two weeks off as holiday so makes the time i get full pay longer).

took a few days off this week i have putting final touches to a thomas the tank engine room and sleeping a lot!

k_dub

I forget how far along you are, Lizzie, but if I remember correctly, you are a week ahead or behind me? 4.5lbs doesn't sound that big to me. When my new OB does growth scans, he gives me the estimated weight, the percentile, and the margin of error (which is wider than one would think)...all of that is helpful info. I'm not putting much stock into the estimates. I think they are usually over-estimates.

I have a friend of mine who developed gestational diabetes and they were monitoring her frequently for growth and macrosomia. They convinced her that the baby was already 10 lbs at 37 weeks and did a primary C-section. When baby came out, he was not even 6lbs... So they did an unnecessary surgery on her with its own risks, pulled baby out at 37 weeks - way too early, and he was very small. Grrr.. That kind of stuff makes me very unhappy!

I'm done traveling until baby comes, thankfully!

However, I'm making a huge career move - switching jobs after 10 years with my employer on 12/30/13. Taking a new executive position. I'm due 1/24/13. I want to get my feet wet with the new job before I go on maternity leave. The Board also offered me an incentive to start early, so I jumped on that.

I'm working as long as I can - I don't have any plans on taking time off before labor begins. But I have some flexibility, so I'll see what happens!

The good news is that I will have a lot less travel with the new job.

Lizzie G
Due 1/24/14. I keep mistakenly putting 2013. :)

i hadnt even noticed! feb 4th for me so a week or so behind. our growth scans just show the sequential plots within the normal distribution curve (ie 95% confidence interval). like you i think they are hugely unreliable particular taking into account the expectational bias. are your scans done by actual ob or a technician (sonographer).

stories like the one you describe are what worries me. however, i think if they suddenly start thinking the babies giant then il be quite pushy about it only affecting mode of delivery, theres no reason to go so early with c section just because its big..

sounds like you have a lot on workwise, cant believe you are starting new position heavily pregnant, but good for you if you have the energy! how long are you planning on taking off? i know you guys tend to take a lot less than here (lot of folk here take full year, i got soooo bored last time im going back after the summer!)

thought he might have turned last night but hes kicking my hips again which is a weird sensation!

Lady Imp

thought he might have turned last night but hes kicking my hips again which is a weird sensation!

Baby Imp has a tendency to sit breech as well, and holy **** the kicking in the lower abdomen hurts. She's particularly fond of tap dancing on my cervix it seems, quite a painful sensation...I just hope this stomping is only an in utero thing and not something I'll have to deal with when she becomes a toddler, cause she's gonna learn the hard way that all that foot stomping gets is a raised eyebrow and crossed arms from Mama....

Lizzie G
Baby Imp has a tendency to sit breech as well, and holy **** the kicking in the lower abdomen hurts. She's particularly fond of tap dancing on my cervix it seems, quite a painful sensation...I just hope this stomping is only an in utero thing and not something I'll have to deal with when she becomes a toddler, cause she's gonna learn the hard way that all that foot stomping gets is a raised eyebrow and crossed arms from Mama....

its so weird isnt it? i thought he was just less crazy than my son used to be but now i know what position hes in it all makes sense (and he seems to be learning to pack a good punch too!

why is pregnancy sooooooo looooooong?!

just got kicked im him again.

Lady Imp

why is pregnancy sooooooo looooooong?!

Could be worse, we could be elephants and be pregnant for 21ish months...

k_dub

The growth scans/ultrasounds have been done by the technician at my old OB's office and by the OB himself at the new OB office. The technician was really good at the old place - I never got a sense of bias with her. In fact, I don't think she even knew I was type 1. We didn't talk about it...

I told new OB on Monday - "A 10lb baby in me is different than a 10lb baby in a woman who is 5'1'' and 100lbs. I can deliver a 10lb baby vaginally. I have no doubt".

I plan on being out of the office for 12 weeks, but will likely need to do *some* work from home. Nothing major, though, just some planning and report writing as I feel like it. I'll be working for a local public health organization that does a lot of work in maternal and child health area - so they are pretty supportive!

Lizzie G

i definitely FEEL like an elephant! i wonder whether pregnant elephants get pelvic pain and indigestion? am i really about to google elephant pregnancy?!

kelly my mum who is 5'6" (not fair im only 5'4") said my macrosomic brother was her easiest delivery!

im still on the fence about the whole thing and part of me hopes he stays breech and i have a scheduled c. i just had such a horrific experience last time that im quite scared of actually dying, if in honest.

had day off work today and my son was in nursery so just about got him thomas the tank engine room finished. hopefully he will actually be prepared to sleep in his big boy thomas bed at some point. currently he likes to play init but wants to sleep in his baby bed in the baby room.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.