Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2014 Bicycling - shared motivation

Ronin

Happy 2014 Everyone!

"And so, it begins." Time to start logging our cycling stories, goals, experiences, revelations and generally interesting details of our shared passion for bicycling and managing our BG levels.

As I noted in my final post for 2013: "Research has proven that sharing your goals and experiences helps to create positive motivation." So, that is why we have these annual threads and perhaps 2014 will see even more DF members throw their leg over the top-tube of a bicycle and start riding in 2014.

Gordonm

Subscribed again. Time to reset the mileage clocks! I'll be out for the first ride of 2014 in about an hour.

raffi

This year's first ride was 20 miles. It was around 30F when I left and around 40F when I got back.

Given the recent weather and road conditions, figuring out which bike to take was not easy. I opted for the studded tires just to play it safe. In all likelihood, I would have been fine without them, but the extra margin of safety was worth the slower ride.

ORjt

Hi all,

Got in back-to-back rides to end 2013 and start 2014. 20 miles yesterday, and 16.5 today - nice weather for this time of year - low-to-mid 40's. Not quite 'astronaut' weather (from Raffi's description in last year's thread) - but still cold enough to need multiple layers.

Speaking of 'which bike to ride' - Santa brought a new ride for me this year. I picked up a 2013 Felt F75X to use as my commuter bike this coming year (It's technically a cyclocross bike). It's a big improvement over my older commuter - much nicer drivetrain, but still an Aluminum frame/carbon forks. I can run much wider tires which should help a lot with stability while loaded. (The bike, not the rider :D ). Got a great deal as a year end closeout ... couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a really nice upgrade ...

Stay safe out there! (and yes, posting/reading does indeed help with the motivation ...)

--JT

rwallen

No ride for me today. :( We had an up and back trip to Topeka today. I think Springfield got up to 50 degrees or a little warmer. Would have been a good day for a ride.

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

I just finished the first 30 miles for 2014 and did it at a pace of 30.05mph! Yeah, it was another TdG ride as the weather is TDC for me to ride outdoors (mid 20's and falling with a increasing winds). I'm actually liking my alternate day schedule mixing BowFlex and bicycling to maintain some shape over the winter and keep the cardio going. Linda and I were discussing the possibility of: "sleeping in" tomorrow because we are due to be slammed with a snowstorm that will keep us inside for most of tomorrow -- at least until we go out to shovel the snow. But the cats, particularly Ron, will not stand for that -- Ron wants his breakfast by 0630 and starts vocalizing (as only a Siamese can do) until he gets fed! Being Friday, tomorrow will be a BowFlex session.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Second TdG session of 2014 is complete. A bit slower than the first one with an average speed of 29.2mph and it was colder than usual in the garage with inside temperatures in the mid 30's at the start. Despite the expended energy and heat I kept my sleeves down for all but 10 minutes of the session (between 40 and 50 minute marks) and that cooled me down. External temperatures were around five or six degrees. Fortunately, the Saturday Opera on WQXR began around 1300 and I was finished with the TdG before that started (FWIW: I actually like Opera, but only live or televised not simply disembodied voices on the radio).

Tomorrow's forecast is nasty with NOAA predicting early AM freezing rains that should turn to warm rain around noon but making any ventures outdoors really hazardous. We can stay inside if necessary - better to be safe that injured or having an accident. If we do stay inside I'll probably do another TdG tomorrow.

raffi

The weather has been fairly bicycle friendly (I can deal with cold better than slush and heavy snow). I had plans of riding yesterday and then a little longer ride today while my wife took my son to the airport (1.5 hours away). Instead, I wimped out yesterday and then decided to go to a church men's breakfast at a nearby diner. So I ended up riding to the breakfast and back then driving my son to the airport. I still managed to get home early enough that I decided to do the planned ride anyway, even though the wind had picked up and made it a bit more of a challenge.

So long and short of it is I got the planned number of miles in, but not in the way I planned. The plus side is I got to see my son off at the airport and I had fun at the men's breakfast. I like it when things work out better than I plan.

rwallen

Hi all!

I didn't start out the new year too well. I missed riding the first 2 days. I thought about riding outside today. We have a storm coming that is suppose to drop at least 6" of snow tonight and into the morning. I didn't feel like riding through the slush, leftover from the last snowfall, even though it might be several days before the roads are rideable again. However, I am getting some TdF stages watched riding the spin bike. :)

Take care!

raffi

Yesterday, I took a very long lunch and did my birthday ride. It was cold (high 20s, low 30s) and windy, but I got it done.

One thing I learned, the chemical foot warmers I use last around 3 hours. Not optimal when the ride lasted almost 4!

ORjt

Hi all,

Well, we're back to seasonal weather - which is to say warmish(upper 40s or so), rainy, and windy, so it is unlikely that I'll get in any riding this weekend. This is a hard time of year to get in any consistent riding, and I've also been having a tough time getting in any 'Tour de LivingRoom' sessions. Ah well. We need the rain, the snow pack up in the mountains is quite low (roughly 30-40" at the ski areas, it should be 4-5x that right now ...).

Stay safe out there - ride when you can ...

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

"The best laid plans" were doomed this week. Every day, until today, got loaded with stuff that kept me off the bicycle, even TdG. Sheesh! Oh well, I did do a TdG session today and it felt good to be working the muscles, breathing hard and sweating for an hour. Right now the weather is changing from cold to warmer and the morning frontal snow has passed and the rain is to come soon and wash all the snow, salt and sand away. Unfortunately, tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60's but heavy rains all day.

Raffi: Belated Happy Birthday! I don't know how you manage the cold, but then again my tolerance for cold has a lot to do with other problems of a male variety and mine weighs in at around 70 grams! That makes prolonged exposure to cold weather miserable.

Gordonm

Weather has been terrible but I got in 2 mountain bikes rides. Yesterday we got soaked. We were just turning around and the skies opened up. Real drencher all the way home. My shoes were filled with water, soaked to the bone but I did ride. Today was only about an hour on the bike but it's better than nothing. Hopefully the roads will be a little better and I can get some road miles in.

Sprockets

Nice day in Central FL today. Clear and a high around 70. Put in 10 miles of mountain biking in Little Big Econ State Forest this afternoon riding solo.

raffi

The end of last week and the weekend, we had high winds that kept me off the bike. I did get a nice afternoon ride on Monday (as the winds were dying down) and yesterday I took my car in for service 11 miles from work, so I got to ride from there and back. The weather is very nice for January, so I'm thinking about the possibility of commuting in to work in the next few days. However, before I do that, I will have to check out some notoriously bad spots.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to read that some of us have nicer weather. I did get out today (Wednesday 15 Jan) thanks to much improved weather although it is still chilly (low 40's) it is well above the single digit temperatures of just a week ago. I'm already: "thinking spring" although I do know that there is more miserable weather coming. There will be more TdG sessions as well as some days when everything will make a ride on the road possible.

raffi

First bike commute of the year! It was cold (around 30) and dark with a headwind, but no ice on the road. I did take a longer route that avoided my tallest hill. I was not sure that one was clear of ice and I did not want surprises in the dark.

rwallen

Hi all!

So far I have missed 3 days of riding this month, all in the first week. If I don't miss anymore days I will be tied with "missed days" for January 2013. However, I am a few miles ahead of last year at this same time. That can change quickly though. I think my knee has finally healed although I get a twinge every now and again making me think that it could start hurting at any time. It's the twinge that worries me. At any rate, I am able to push up the hills and to challenge the mph's again which makes me happy. It looks like the weather may be nice enough to get outside over the next 2 or 3 days. However, I think I'll be on the SB tonight.

Take care and stay safe!

Gordonm

Temps in the high 30s to low 40s yesterday but the sun was out. We got in a good 24 miles. Weather turning back very cold shortly so it may be back inside for a few days. It has been a little challenging riding so far this year but it feels good to get the first hundred miles in. It's all downhill from here! Wishful thinking.

raffi

The weather around here is definitely not what you would normally think of as January weather. We have lots of sunshine and temperatures into the 40s.I got a 20 mile ride in with the temperatures in the low 30s. I got an early enough start to have firm roads for most of the way.

Last Thursday, I was a bit surprised at how much my commute took out of me. It seems like I lost a lot more fitness (or rather stamina) than I expected. After all I've been getting in at least a couple of hundred miles each month. But then I took a "recovery" 10 mile ride yesterday and made pretty good time and today's ride was above average and I'm feeling quite a bit less tired than the last time I did it, so maybe I have not lost as much as I thought.

rwallen

I feel very fortunate to have been able to get outside today. However, I think the combination of the spin bike and getting outside is a good one. It seems as though too much time spent on the SB makes the first few rides on the single a tad bit challenging and visa-versa. So, they each must target a few different muscles. Of course, I'll take riding outside anytime! :)

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

I think all of us prefer riding outdoors to indoors. The weather here in NJ is forecast to turn cold and nasty beginning tonight when the temperature drops followed by more snow. I'm back to my winter plans of M-W-F anaerobic Bowflex for upper body and Tu-Th-Sa rollers. I could have ridden outdoors today but Linda needed help with her projects so,...

It is good to read that some are still riding, and often despite the weather. The only advantage of indoor riding is that it is not weather dependent, and for this time of the year I only want to maintain fitness. I'll build back up in the Spring and have Linda with me -- that is something to look forward to.

ORjt

Hi all,

Ditto on the 'outside vs inside' comments.

Our weather, too, has been very uncharacteristic this winter - it's been very dry (they're starting to mention the 'D' word :( ), and cold, with lots of fog. The cold, I don't mind so much, but coupled with fog, it's a bad combination. If we get enough wind, that tends to clear out the fog, giving some pretty nice days.

So, with that all said - the previous weekend, I'd intended to get out on Sunday for a ride. Remember the wind that I mentioned? - Took out a big limb on one of the fir trees next to the house; and that limb took out a couple more on the way down. Most of that Sunday was spent picking up and/or chainsawing up the debris. Fortunately, no damage to anything at all, and it was a lot of good exercise, just not the type I'd planned.

Over last week, I got on the exercise bike twice, and out for a longish (~30 minute) walk along the Willamette River. And yesterday, I finally got out on the bike - got in 17 miles for a really nice ride. The weather cleared quite a bit - it was a nice sunny day, temps in the mid 40's. Surpisingly only saw 3 other riders out - unusual, considering how nice the day turned ..

Ride when you can - and stay safe out there !

--JT

raffi

Freezing fog is cold. Really cold. This afternoon's ride was in the upper 20s with freezing fog. It looked so gloomy and uncomfortable out there that I overdressed. I expected to have to shed a layer before I got home, but it turns out I was quite comfortable the entire time. I don't think I even sweated as much as usual. Now I know, fog equals a least 10 degrees off the current temperature.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.