Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2014 Bicycling - shared motivation

rwallen

Good morning!

JT and raffi, thanks!

JT, I have heard complaints about how difficult it is to take the booties on and off.  I suppose it depends on the booties.  This may not be a good thing but I have discovered that I can wear another pair of socks over my cycling ones.  Between the two, my feet stay warm enough for as cold as I care to ride in.  So, I just need something to keep them dry.  I think the fenders I purchase will just stay on the bike permanently like the racks have done.  I have been looking at SKS and Planetbike.

I got out last night.  There was a bit of off and on drizzle on my drive home but the temps. were in the low 50s.  So, I decided to get out.  The temperatures dropped while I was out and I did get pelted with rain from time to time but I managed to stay pretty dry.  I was hesitant to go because I had just got my bike cleaned and lubed after my Sunday ride but hey, that's what a bike's for... to ride, right?  At least, I was layered correctly.  I was just a bit over dressed starting out but was just perfect by the time I got home.

Take care all!

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I did get in a few road rides early this week but then it got much colder and nasty. Since I have my limits (now below 35-F is indoor only) I'm getting more indoor miles.

Busy days - Concert with my violin student Friday night, Club annual party Saturday night, and a professional concert on Sunday afternoon. In this case the TdG session fit in perfectly taking a minimum amount of time from start to finish and still feeling better.

Have a good weekend.

raffi

I did get in a few road rides early this week but then it got much colder and nasty. Since I have my limits (now below 35-F is indoor only) I'm getting more indoor miles.

Ronin, You should've come with me today, it was a nice warm 35 when I started and it warmed up to a balmy 42 by the time I got back. Of course, your road bike probably would have sunk to the hubs in our roads...

I'm still trying to get some miles in before the snow flies. The current guess from the guessers is snow on Wednesday. By then, I should be done running screws through my old fatbike tires making me ready for some crazy fatbike ice/snow fun.

Gordonm

I got in 18 today. It was a balmy 28.3 degrees according to my Garmin. Rode slightly over an hour and that is about all I can take before the toes and fingers have had enough. Not much wind which made it better. Rode yesterday in 38 degrees and lots of wind. Today actually felt better.

Happy to say I am back to about 98 percent from the Lymes. My face is almost back to functioning perfect and I feel much better. Mine was a mild case from some of the horror stories I have heard from this. Just happy to have caught it early enough. So ill keep riding until the snow flies.

graham44

Hey all...glad to see you're cranking the cranks lol.

Cycling question for you guys. Whats the best lube to keep your chain as clean as possible?? 1 guy told me a "dry teflon" based was best...any recommendation from you guys??

Thanks,mike

Ronin

Mike, et al.,

The "Best" Lube all depends on your criteria and willingness to do the work. For keeping a chain clean most folks will agree that wax is the absolute best but it is a real pain to maintain waxed chains and the wax doesn't work well if it gets wet and the cleaning and re-waxing process can take many hours a week to maintain. Other than wax most lubes have some degree of stickiness. I use Boshiled but that is a personal preference as it keeps reasonably clean but doesn't require undue maintenance. Your best advice will come from local bicyclist who ride in the same conditions you ride in. Wiping down the chain after each ride does help a lot.

Team Wells is enjoying a brief respite from the miserable weather here in NJ. We've had two rides on the tandem with temperatures in the mid 40's and light winds. Tomorrow is scheduled to the max and on Monday the weather gets ugly again. Winter - nothing like it. I have found that riding the tandem does engage the slow twitch muscles much more than the rollers or even me on my single bike.

Wow, the year is almost over how fast it went. Have a good weekend everyone.

raffi

The bottled wax lubes are very clean and really are not that hard to reapply (you just have to reapply after every ride), but they do not last long in the summer and are pretty much useless in my area once it gets cold. I'm currently using a teflon based dry lube that is not as clean as the wax, but lasts longer and so far is kind of holding up in my winter. I usually switch the triflow in the winter, but this one does seem ok. It is finish line dry bike lube.

Yesterday's ride did not go as well as I would have liked. I went down a little over 2 miles into a planned 10 mile ride and was hurting bad enough that the longer (finish the 10 mile ride) route home made more sense then climbing the hill I just came down. A ice pack and lots of ibuprofen and I was doing better. Kind of stiff today, but no bruise yet.

We are in the middle of a snow storm, so I decided to try to put my home made studded tires on my fatbike. This requires that I do what I have yet to successfully do, that is seat my tubeless fatbike tires on the rim. After lots of frustration and bleeding (the screws in the tires are quite sharp), I gave up and started searching google for a better way. The better way I found, is quite satisfyingly and quick. Fill the tire with propane and light it. The tire seats with a loud pop. Worked on both wheels.

Ronin

Raffi, et al.,

I cannot imagine mounting a tire with sharp screw ends sticking out. Was that bleeding you referenced about the tire or your hands? I would suspect that getting the tire off in the spring will be - shall we say - interesting (?)

Following up on the chain lube topic: There are just so many different kinds of lubrication methods to choose from. The wax I was referencing is the old school paraffin where you have to really scrub the chain then melt the wax and submerge the chain in the hot wax for a length of time then pull out the chain, let it dry then mount it. I've done this for a single bike and the process takes about two hours and while the chain stays nice and shiny, it just doesn't last and the chain is squeaking after about 100 miles - if you get caught in the rain all bets are off.

For me the most important thing I do for a clean chain is to wipe it down after each ride (takes maybe a minute including time to put the bike in the repair stand) that minimized the accumulation of dirt and I also brush the cogs and jog-wheels. I refresh the lube at 100 miles and/or getting caught in the rain.

raffi

Ronin, yep, hands and any other body part that gets too close. Trying to seat the bead the "correct" way probably was much more painful than taking them off in the spring will be. I'll be sticking to the redneck method of bead seating from here on out.

I did try the tires out on my snow covered driveway and unplowed road in front of my house this morning (not a real ride, just testing things) and the concept seems pretty sound. I was able to climb back up my steep driveway even with inches of snow. Hopefully, I will be able to get a good ride in tomorrow.

graham44

Appreciate the chain/lube advice you guys! One you mentioned that I never did was wipe the chain off after rides. I always lube it up and wipe off the excess before a ride but never after...great idea though. thanks again,mike

rwallen

Hi all!

Wow!  The end of the year is almost here!  I hope everyone had a great Christmas!  I also hope that I can get out the last 2 days of this year.  It was 30-32 when I left the house this morning.  I'm still off from work until the 5th.

JT, I ended up buying a pair of SKS Commuter IIs.  I think they're fine but I have a little vibration noise on the front.  My poor cyclocross looks like a touring bike completely now, not that I mind. :)10367730_10152632343283576_3628663088502

So, I have a helmet cover and fenders.  I just need glove liners and shoe covers.  However, it was 27 when I got out the other morning and I did ok.  I was actually starting to get warm when I got back home.

Everyone have a safe New Year's Eve.  I look forward to the start of next year's thread.

Gordonm

Rode yesterday for maybe the last ride of 2014. It was 28 degrees for most of the ride. I can last about an hour at that temp before fingers and toes start to get cold. So most of these cold rides are only 16 to 18 miles long. Better than riding indoors though. Almost matched last years total which is not bad due to the bad start. We had a ton of snow and cold early on in 2014 so it was a slow start. Still trying to figure out next years goals but honestly just trying to get out and ride will probably be the best one.

raffi

Looks like my last ride for the year was a short one. Yesterday, I did a 20 mile ride on the fatbike. Other than the extreme rolling resistance of the screws on pavement, the ride was uneventful. I decided that since large parts of that route were clear and the rest was pretty smooth ice, I'd be OK taking the studded 29er on the same route today. That was a bad choice. While the studs on the 29er are great on the icy conditions I've had before, this ice was different. Even at 10 degrees, it was so slick that I could not climb even moderately steep hills without slipping. The downhill sections were sheer terror as any slight imperfection in the ice threatened to take my wheels out from under me. After a couple of miles of this, I decided to abort the ride and go for a few more miles on the side of the highway (it had a clear shoulder) and then take a (hopefully) less icy two miles back home.

I did make it back home without incident and probably managed to keep my heart rate quite high despite the slow speeds ;) The ride was worth doing just to know that the screws in the fatbike tires are every bit as good as I thought they were. Give me rolling resistance any day if it means I can safely travel over this kind of ice.

rwallen

Hi all!

It was 28 when I got out yesterday.  The temps. didn't change much all day.  I was fine until the ride back and then I got a little chilled.  Today there is not much of a wind but I have been waiting for it to warm up a bit more.  Currently, it is 26.  Honestly, it doesn't look like I'll get out and I may not ride the SB.  It looks like some nasty weather is heading our way.  So, if I don't get out tomorrow I may not for a few days.  That makes my decision to not get out today a little bit harder to take.  Oh well.

Take care everyone and I'll talk to you next year!

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I finished the year in the garage. Yesterday and today were simply TDC so it was TdG instead. Not as many miles as last year (is this a portent of approaching 70?) Perhaps 2015 will see more logged miles, but considering my age as well as the combined age of Team Wells and what most of our age-peers do (or really don't do)I'm happy with the overall year.

My FBG levels have been doing their winter thing with a pretty good liver-dump in the morning. I still, on occasion, do a test in the middle of the night and the FBG is usually in the 60's or 70's only to be over 100 when I get up in the morning - Spring usually changes that -- it's been years and I still don't understand it. Also, about an hour after breakfast I'm usually feeling quite low and yesterday I did a test and came in at 58! Now that is low for someone who takes no medications for glucose levels. I'll be checking my HbA1c tomorrow morning, as I do the first of every month.

As I type this 2015 is already 10 hours old but the midnight bar has not yet been crossed in NJ. That being said, Linda and I will be fast asleep and snuggled with the cats at midnight - we are day folks and get no joy from fighting to stay awake till after midnight. Actually the last time we did try to stay up at a neighbors house party, we fell asleep on their couch around 10:00PM - woke up and walked home because we could not keep our eyes open any longer. So now we decline invitations and go to sleep at our normal hour and feel a whole lot better in the morning.

Happy 2015 everyone. I'll be starting the 2015 thread tomorrow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.