Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2014 Bicycling - shared motivation

Ronin

Welcome Apollo,

There is always the indoor alternative and that has been what I've been doing for some time each winter season. While indoor training does maintain some level of fitness it is really about mental training. Today (Tuesday 18 Feb) was a real mental training day. I was feeling kind-of depressed and had to will myself to ride the rollers. When it was all over I did feel a whole lot better, but it was a struggle to complete the 30 miles I set out as my goal.

What form of bicycling are you doing?

Joes Wife

Not sure I even qualify for this thread but I've been reading here for months now. My husband has a road bike that he puts on a trainer for the winter months. After being dx with D back in August I have been eating better and exercising more. I was able to ride 106 miles on the trainer in the month of January and I'm a bit over that now for the month of February. He has a mountain bike also that I can use when the weather cooperates, which hasn't been much lately. We have tons of snow here right now. We are on the lookout for a mountain bike for me. His is a bit too tall for me. Our plan is to do some riding together this spring and summer.

It's encouraging and motivating to read all of your posts.

ORjt

Hi all,

@Joes wife: welcome to the thread! Anyone's welcome to post here, glad you're getting some good exercise - both indoors and out. This time of year can be really challenging for a lot of us. Good luck on the quest for a new bike :)

I got in a second, bonus, 'character builder' last Monday - the rain held off, but the wind picked up. It was a lot more gusty and variable than on Sunday. Still stuck it out for a little over 14 miles; average speed was something like 12.1, very slow. "It's always a headwind" sure felt true.

Weather's looking up for the weekend, and the noticeably longer days are definitely a plus.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

raffi

Yes, welcome. We have all kinds of riders around here ranging in mileage and types of bikes. You should fit right in.

Speaking of types of bikes, after being off the bike for almost a week (again!) I got another ride in on the fatbike. While I was sick or unable to ride for other reasons, I managed to manufacture some fenders out of a plastic rain gutter. The shop where I bought the bike installed them for me. They worked out pretty well so now I have no excuse if I don't want to ride. :)

Today's ride was my short 6 mile ride. Since I'm still recovering from some chest crud, I figured I'd play it safe. By safe, I mean distance, not the ride. If I was on any of my other bikes, I probably would have landed hard more than once. The gravel was so soft that water was seeping up as I rode over it and much of the ride the only place to find gravel was in the ruts left by cars. Even my studded tires on my 26" mountain bike would not have kept me out of trouble Yet with the fatbike, I pretty much rode over it all at a slow and steady pace. I even manged to ride up my snow covered driveway. I've never manged to ride up my driveway on my other bikes even if there was a clear rut to try to stick to. Today it was all snow and ice and I simple rode right up. Gotta love the fatbike.

Here's a pic with gut^H^H^Hfenders.

post-28037-139628788694_thumb.jpg

Ronin

Hi Everyone!

Hey Raffi, I have to congratulate you on the fenders you fabricated - fantastic.

I had vet another TdG session today. While the ambient temperatures were in the low 50's the reality on the roads make me unwilling to ride outdoors. The roads are still narrowed by the amount of snow pack beyond the curbs, then there is the melted snow itself (mixed with salt, sand and crud) and finally there are the potholes which could ruing a bicyclists year. So, another 30 miles in the garage. I did surprise myself by setting another PR completing 30.88 miles in an hour. I was pushing for 31 miles but the clock ran out - maybe next time. I was toast at the finish.

Recently I was reading an exchange about the theoretical maximum heart rate. Everyone has a formula but my reality is that I managed to peak at 172bpm with no notable problems despite the fact that I'm 66 and that is way over the theoretical maximum calculated by any of the formulas. I actually once had a holter-monitor on for a bike ride with similar exertion levels and my MD was amazed at the fact that I had no problems at heart rates that would have resulted in heart attacks for most folks my age. (Yeah, I'm bragging!)

Tomorrow is a rest day and we may take in a Cello concert at the local museum. Have a great weekend everyone!

rwallen

Hi all!

It's been a while since I have posted.

Welcome Joe's Wife and welcome back Apollo.

Not much going on here. My life is pretty boring! :) The weather here hasn't been too bad over the last several weeks. In looking at my spread sheet I'm about 80 some odd miles ahead of last year and about 40 some odd miles behind 2012. A few weeks ago my inside miles and outside miles were about even. Now I'm about 140 miles ahead with the road miles vs. the SB miles and that's a good thing. We are about to pull the trigger on a road bike for Patti. She wants a 2013 model because of the color scheme and it looks like a drive to Minneapolis to get one. We are going to get her a Trek Lexa SLX. Oh, BTW my daughter is expecting her first any day now. Then, my life will get exciting! :)

Take care and happy riding!

BTW, cool looking bike raffi!

Still waiting on your picture JT. :

ORjt

Hi All,

Out for both days (on the road bike this weekend) as we had dry weather; a bit chilly/clammy, but totally rideable. Saw 18 riders on Saturday, but only 3 today. Still - that's better than the one hardy soul I saw last weekend :) . So far, I'm a few miles down from either of the last two years, but not by enough to get excited about. Hopefully March will bring some afternoon rides, once we get just a bit more light.

Starting to notice a lot more wildlife - seeing more birds, and heard a frog today. And, I'm seeing a lot more flowers and fields starting to show more life. Good signs, all ...

Raffi - nice job on the fenders; I admire your ingenuity!

Rick - congrats on the new grand-baby! And hopefully, Patti'll get her new ride. (Price break since it's 2013? All of my bikes have been bought at year-end ...). As to the photo - I haven't been out riding any where really photogenic; that'll change soon. Next weekend is our first TdC 'group ride' of the year - along the Willamette river waterfront. I'll take a camera, and get a good photo there ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Gordonm

Got in some road miles this weekend as the weather was great. Dodged a few potholes but most of the roads we ride were in decent enough shape. Nothing was going to keep us indoors with the quick break in temps. Going to be back cold again this week and for the future days ahead. We did get almost run over by about a 1/2 dozen deer. They came out of the woods at a good trot then saw us and took off across the road back into the woods. Also saw about a dozen turkeys in the woods. Great to just be back out on the road. Not to many miles so far due to the lousy weather.

raffi

After so much time off the bike this month, I've noticed my blood sugars have started to climb. Yesterday, I got in 16 miles and today I commuted in (21 mile route) and noticed that things that were sending outside my range are back to behaving. Gotta love the bike.

ORjt

Hi all,

First TdC ride this year; it rained up until about 15 minutes prior to start, and started spitting little drips a few minutes prior to the end. So, very successful! We had 40 folks show up for a nice 10 mile ride along the Willamette river. Had a flat tire roughly halfway through. No clue what happened - didn't really ride through any sort of debris that I was aware of. I did find the puncture in the tube, and didn't find anything in the tire carcase to explain it. Oh well ...

And, as promised, here's the new 'cross bike:post-40222-139628788731_thumb.jpg

One other photo:

post-40222-139628788733_thumb.jpg

Gordonm

Got in 22 miles today on the road bike. We are expecting another 10 inches of snow tomorrow night so the road bike will be put up for a few days. Hopefully this is the last snow storm of the year and we can get back to the bike on the road.

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

Gordon, your roads were clear enough to ride on? While, here in Dover, we didn't get any new snow there is more than enough to keep all of us cyclists off the roads for some time, and then there are the potholes to deal with. It is going to be a long winter.

I've done a few of the shortened, but more intense, roller sessions. Wow! The numbers look like something good is happening and I can do these almost every day because they only last 30 minutes and I'm not completely exhausted at the end (close but not completely).

Gordonm

Our roads were clear enough to ride until today. They are back snow covered and riding on the road is halted. I'll be up in Dover tomorrow on business but not for riding. Hopefully the snow is short lived.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting to like the abbreviated, albeit more intense, set of intervals. It fits better into the winter day schedule as well. My HR gets into the top zone and stays there for the duration. I could never maintain this pace for a one-hour session though. I did learn something from reading the NY Times health and fitness section.

We're hoping for a melt-off followed by a good rain (to wash away the salt and chemicals) and busy road crews to fill the potholes. How is everyone else surviving this time of year?

raffi

I would have been happier with studded tires on the fatbike this morning, but I made it into work without any mishaps (just a couple of scary moments). The commute home was a bit faster than my ride in. The fatbike can ride over anything, but it is not a fast bike.

Speaking of riding over anything, while riding down a hill and rounding a corner on the way home, I came upon a bike eating pothole that I did not see in time. On any other bike, this would have resulted in some unplanned air time (without the bike). With the fatbike, I slightly popped up the front tire and let the back tire fend for itself. I barely felt the pothole. This bike does have its advantages.

Sprockets

A little late but I rode 8 miles of intermediate singletrack Sunday. A little wet from dew and a lot of leaves but at least it wasn't cold.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Another TdG day but the road is calling my name as the forecast predicts temperatures in the 40's coming soon, maybe tomorrow. I may opt for a dirty ride just to get outside. Then again, I do have this sinus thing. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

ORjt

Ronin,

re: sinuses - I'm a big believer in sinus flushes (with either neti pot, or one of the bottle rinses like NeilMed SinusRinse); I've had chronic sinus/allergy issues pretty much my whole life. This actually provides quite a lot of relief during flare-ups, colds, whatever ...

Me, I'm off the bike for a few days, minor toe surgery yesterday.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

raffi

+100 on the sinus flushes. I've gone from multiple sinus infections a year to no need for antibiotics for quite a few years now.

I managed two commutes this week. Both on the fatbike. I had the shop where I bought it adjust my fit on it yesterday and either that or the fact that I'm getting more used to it has started to shave down the commute time. I cut off 8 minutes both ways today.

One odd thing about the fatbike on my commute, the ride home is faster than the ride to work. There is a couple hundred feet net elevation gain going home and on the other bikes, it means 5 to 10 minutes longer getting home. On the fatbike, it is 5 minutes faster.

Ronin

JT, Raffi, et al.,

I do clean my sinuses and I also use: "Ponaris" when I feel a cold coming on. I have a feeling that my violin student nailed me despite all my efforts to avoid catching whatever was dripping from his nose that he brought home from school. What I do know is that exercise is just fine as long as I don't have a fever, in fact exercise often helps.

I answered the call of the road. the 22 was just fine and the weather (low 50's) was great. I may have pushed a bit too hard but, tomorrow is a rest day. It was great to be outdoors again. The single was filthy and I washed it later in the PM. Next week looks great and we may get the tandem out at some point.

rwallen

Hi all,

I posted the other day and tried to include a picture of my bike with the new panniers, I bought, on it. However, I wasn't able to post the picture and I lost the post as well. Things got busy and here we are.

Great pictures of the bike JT.

I was going to comment on how well the miles were adding up but since my failed attempt to post, things have changed a little. We had a brief spurt of bad weather causing me to ride inside a couple of days and I had a "bug" of some sort that kept me off of both bikes one day. I may have started feeling bad the day before because I just didn't feel like riding then either, although I could have. With that said, I think I'm about 60 miles ahead of last year and about 80 miles behind 2012. My outside riding miles are about double my inside miles. So, that's a good thing.

Oh, and more importantly, my daughter gave birth to her first child on Friday, a little girl. So, we had a busy weekend but I was still able to get out both days for a short 20+ mile ride each day.

I have a 3 day self-supported ride coming up the first weekend of April. I'm sure I'm ready but I would like to get in some longer rides before then.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that most of you are getting out and getting in some riding. I think Spring is finally here!!

Take care!

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick - congrats on the new grand-daughter!

Here, it's been drought to deluge. We've already had almost all of March's rain this month. Well, at least it's getting green :D

No riding for me this last weekend - (very) minor toe surgery last Thursday, so I played SAG-driver for our TdC ride on Saturday. Looks like we're drying out this week, and with DST kicking in, I'm hoping to get in a ride or two after work. (Schedule may be brutal, so we'll see how it goes).

I replaced the saddle on the 'cross bike (the stock seat was way too narrow for me), so I'm anxious to try the new one (it's a Fizik brand).

Stay safe out there! -

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

Rick: Congratulations on being a grandfather. Now you can spoil the child and then leave her to her parents (just what your grandparents did for you.)

Not quite as warm as Saturday but still in the mid-40's with a WSW wind. Due to the overcast conditions there wasn't as much melting so the dryer roads made for a cleaner bike at the end. Tomorrow is forecast to be even warmer (mid-50's?!?!) Then it's forecast to get nasty and colder (AGAIN!). I guess there are still a few TdG days in the near future.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.