Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2014 Bicycling - shared motivation

raffi

While it has been raining a bit lately, the snow and ice is gone. That means I'm getting some bicycle commuting in. This morning, it was 32 when I left, but the roads were clear of ice. I'm slowly chipping away at the commute time on the fatbike and I'm looking forward to commuting on the 29er.

gdawginhtown

Newbie to these forums and diabetes type 2. Since I was DX a few weeks ago, I've been exercising for the first in a long time. It has been mainly jogging but has branched to biking since some of my friends are preparing for the Texas MS 150 ride from Houston to Austin. I went out and bought a Specialized Secateur since it is a good tweener bike. We've only been logging 25+ miles for the past few Saturday. I'm hoping the number climbs to the 40-50 range and help in this fight against diabetes.

gdawginhtown

With temps in the high 70's and daylight savings, I really need to get out there on weekdays. Happy riding!

ORjt

Hi all,

@gdawg - welcome to the thread!

I was able to get home early enough today to use that DST; coupled with sunny skies, and 65F, just could not resist. First ride this year in shorts, SS jersey, sunglasses. It felt really, really good. Only 13 miles, and only one other rider out ... but it was nice.

I was on the 'cross bike - I've got a new saddle, a Fizik brand (Aliante, I think). Much improved over the stock saddle, which was waaaay too narrow. I'd want something with more padding (this one's awfully 'firm') for long rides, but as this bike will be purposed for commuting - this will work out well, I think. Best part - the seat was free. I won a gift card to the bike shop by filling out their survey from the purchase of the bike. I had another (generic) gift card, so between the two, my out-of-pocket was $0.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

raffi

The weather was warm enough that I was able to talk my wife into renting a tandem and giving it a try. We did about 13 miles and had a good time. She's a bit sore (not the best seat for her and the fitting needed a bit more work), but for it being the first time she has been on a bike in over 20 years, she did well and we had fun. I think we can make this work, now I just need to find a good used tandem for the right price.

ORjt

Hi all,

Raffi - sounds like you guys had fun, cool :)

I was able to ride Friday evening - though it was for sure a character builder - it was quite windy. Thankfully, I could ride "headwind out, tailwind back". Then on Saturday, we had a great TdC ride over in Vancouver WA; it was partially an MUP, the rest was on an extremely low use road; it was essentially traffic free as the road dead-ended after about 5 miles. Got in a total of 18 miles, saw numerous cranes (the birds), cranes (the shipyard type), boats, ships, eagles ... (we alternated between the Columbia River, and Vancouver Lake). Very light wind, clear skies, etc ... totally nice ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Raffi: Congratulations on trying a tandem. Following is a resource you can use to locate tandems for sale: So You Want To Buy A Tandem As an avid tandemist I'm an advocate for riding them.

Now, for today's ride: First PM ride of the season. Just too cold in the AM, but temperatures warmed to just 40 and the roads are looking better. Tomorrow may be a rest day due to weather that includes warm rain that will was away more crud from the roads as well as melt some (all?) of the remaining snow. Approaching tandem season!

raffi

Ronin, Thanks for the link.

Today was supposed to be a nice, wind free, fairly warm day. It was snowing (a bit) when I left this morning and even though I thought I was overdressed for the weather, I ended up being comfortable. This afternoon's ride back home was cooler and windier than I was wanting, but all in all it was nice to get in another bike commute.

Gordonm

All day I was watching the temps in my truck today. It hit 47 once after 6 inches of snow yesterday. The sun was out and I thought great a nice ride when I get home. Got home at 5 hopped on the bike and hit the temp on my Garmin. 36 degrees with some wind. It was a chilly ride and came home pretty cold at 34 degrees and a good breeze so it was a cold ride but still a ride. Looking forward to some warmer temps later this week.

rwallen

Hi all!

gdawg, welcome!

Glad to hear that everyone has been getting out. My riding has been pretty consistent. I didn't ride Sat. My wife and I drove up to Minneapolis, leaving at 1am, on Sat. We went up there to pick up a bike for her. We couldn't find the color she wanted in her size locally. She bought a Trek Lexa SLX road bike. So, now her Trek Navigator is for sale. Nasty weather moved in on Sun. So, I was stuck on the spin bike.

JT, you were talking about the wind. I don't know how to ride in anything else anymore. :) I guess it's what one deals with in the early Spring. I will be so glad to ride on a day with a light wind.

My 3 day tour is fast approaching. I don't know whether I am ready equipment wise or not but I think I am pedaling wise. However, I must say that riding with panniers, with only minimal weight, made quite a difference. So far I haven't had the time to get in anything longer than a 30 mile ride but that will happen soon enough. I am still ahead of last year and still behind 2012.

Anyway, happy pedaling and stay safe!

Ronin

hi Everyone,

We rolled out on the tandem just about the same time the planet achieved the Vernal Equinox. There was a storm yesterday into last night and the trailing winds made the 22 mile loop a real character builder. Linda is just back on the tandem after a long period of winter projects. All things considered, we did very well, particularly against the winds. Fortunately the temperatures increased to the low 50's which made it doable. With any luck we're going to get back to regular riding although I think Linda might want a few more rest-days as she regains her bicycling fitness.

ORjt

Hi all,

Bit of nice weather lately, but have been swamped with work, and other stuff. Got in a lunch time ride today - only about 13 miles, but it was really nice - full sun, upper 50's. I actually thought I was going to be over-dressed, but the bit of breeze that we had, had some 'bite' to it. Turned out to be just about right. Forecast for returning rain starting on Tuesday ... it's been an odd winter ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

raffi

This weekend was bout fatbiking. On Saturday, I took a new route that I had looked at last year, but never found a time where I thought the route would be passable. On the fatbike, I did it in early spring without a second thought. I got a bit muddy, but it was fun. Today, after church, we went down to ****'s Gate State Park and did a bit of canoeing and I took the fatbike. There are some trails in the park that defeated me last time I tried them. On the fatbike, I got the upper hand and got to do a bit of exploring.

ORjt
Hi all, I start riding my Bike month ago yesterday rode 60 mile getting ready for long ride soon.

Hi, and welcome to the thread!

You started riding a month ago, and already got in a 60 mile ride :D . Good job! -- what's your definition of a long ride, then ???

Thanks for posting - keep up the good work!

--JT

rwallen

singh,

That sounds like a fun trip. You'll have to let us know how that goes. If you decide to blog about it or post a journal somewhere I would like the link to it.

raffi

singh, welcome to the thread. How long do you think your trip will take?

Well this morning's commute was a fail. I got 400 feet down the driveway and crashed hard. I still don't know what took me out, I was not going fast and nothing looked particularly dangerous. My knee and shoulder are hurting pretty good, but I don't think there is any real damage. I will need to buy new tights as these no longer have a knee in them. :(

gdawginhtown

You weren't kidding. That is a looooooong trip.

I have a 40 mile event this Saturday. My first official cycling event in 25+ years.

I've gone bonkers and bought a whole bunch of gear like a hitch and carrier.

I had to pull out of the MS150 due to unforeseen events but will do it next year.

I chatted with a coworker from the UK and he biked from the southern tip of England to Lands End in Scotland.

A little under 1k miles so I have it on my bucket list of things to do when I have a few weeks to spare.

Happy riding all!

ORjt

Hi all,

A very wet 11 miles today - our Saturday TdC 'group ride'; I think of the 11 riders, 10 were somehow associated with organizing or supporting our group rides :D . It was wet, windy, and raining quite hard up until a bit before we took off. The plan was to have 10 mile 'short' loop, or a 20 mile 'long loop', crossing the Columbia river twice. We opted to do the short loop only, which worked out quite well. Not too much rain during the ride, but a ton of water on the road, and some gusty wind. The rain picked back up about the time we would have been doing the 2nd crossing - or about 5 miles before the end.

I'm normally not a 'fender' guy - but for the 'cross bike (my choice for the day), I have an SKS 'extra dry' clip on fender. It works surprisingly well, and it clips on or off in seconds. Highly recommended if you need something for the odd rainy day. (Cost is quite reasonable - list is under $20, and I got this one on sale for ~15.)

Stay safe (and dry!) out there ...

--JT

Paul Baker

Hi All,

This is one for the bucket-list.

I have signed up to do the JoBerg2C race in South Africa. This is a 9 day staged mountain bike race that promises over 900 km of the best mountain biking in South Africa. I am nervous and excited. This race is now less than a month away which means that I am spending almost every spare moment I have on the bike. 

Very regular exercise seems to only have a positive affect on my blood glucose control which I am relieved about.

I am planning on blogging my progress before and during the event, so please take a look if you contemplating something similar.

here is the link: TheThirstThatChangedMyLife

rwallen

Hi all!

Wow, some great posts! 

gdawg, I have heard of the route you mentioned.  I too, think it would be great to do.  I have my sights on a cross-country ride but I don't know if that will ever happen.  I think I will have to be retired first. :)  I do have a 3 day ride coming up and then a 4 or 5 day ride this summer but that's about it.

JT, I'm gonna check out the fenders.  I'm not a fender person but I do plan on doing some touring.  So.....

All, not much going on with me.  Just status quo.  I did a ride on Sun. with 30lbs in, and including, my panniers.  This year has either been windy or cold riding.  On the nice days when I could take advantage of no wind I have been riding with added weight.  Still life is good!  We bought a Topeak MondoPack for Patti's new road bike.  If you're looking for a seat bag check them out.  They make 3 varieties of the MondoPack and two for the SIdekick, all good bags.

Until next time!

raffi

Just over a week after my crash, I managed to have a successful commute. I was actually quite nervous about trying again, but I think I'm getting my confidence back.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Today was good. We finally got in our first Sunday-16 of the season and it's time for lunch. Forecast for tomorrow looks good in the AM.

Raffi: I'm happy to read that you are back riding.  We've had our share of FDGB's so we know what it is like.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

raffi

This week is starting with gorgeous weather. It was in the 60s yesterday afternoon and might even hit 70 today. I've managed my first consecutive commute of the year. Unfortunately, my knee is still not healed so I was in a bit of pain this morning. The rest of me is fine, so I just need to keep icing the knee and getting it the rest of the way better.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Today was a real character builder, although the winds were less than yesterday when we opted not to ride at all.  We had planned the 22 mile route but the winds told us that 16 was quite enough. Temperatures are up though and that is a good thing. 

Raffi: From experience I can tell you that you will recover but it will take a while for all the soreness to go away.  The fact that you are back riding does speak volumes.

gdawginhtown

I've notched my first sanctioned ride a few weeks ago, a 47 miler. I've been riding 30+ miles on Saturdays and 10 miles every other day @ 15 mph average.

I have signed up for the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure event in September. Hopefully I am not chewing off too much but I plan to do the century (actually 104 miles).

I find that my BG levels are looking good the morning after a ride. I don't know if it is coincidentally but I believe there is a real correlation there.

Anyways, happy riding to all!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.