Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

chadha

What's your last A1C?

Hammer

Unfortunately, this study was done on rabbits.  Would be interesting to see the results in humans.  But several sources say Amlodipine can cause hyperglycemia.  Wonder if it has anything to do with the lows you sometimes have?

http://www.scopemed.org/?mno=44231

Thanks for that link, it was an interesting read.

No, I doubt that the Amlodipine is affecting my BG levels, since I have been taking Amlodipine for almost a year now.  In my case, there's a fine line between taking Novolog before meals and Lantus once a night.  I find that if I miscalculate the carbs that I'm about to eat for dinner, and take too little Novolog, my wake up BG levels will be higher than what I want them to be.  If I take too much Novolog before dinner, I'll wake up to low BG levels, even though my nightly Lantus dose has remained the same.

Also, my weight is constantly fluctuating.  I'll lose a pound or two, I'll stay at that weight for a few days, then I'll gain a pound or two and stay at that weight for a few days.  If I gain or lose just one pound, I usually have to adjust my nightly Lantus dose.  Since I don't weigh myself every day, I may not know that I've gained or lost weight, so I won't adjust my Lantus dose.  When I see that my wake up BG levels are too low or too high, I'll weigh myself to see if I've gained or lost any weight, which is usually the case. :)

Edited by Hammer

mystiquarte

I just got my blood work results for end of January or beginning of Feb 2017 and it's 7.1 down from 7.5 in Nov 2016 and my first one July 2016 9.3
I really want my next one, April 2017, to be in the 6's at least, that is my goal  - - but all in all a good result heading in the right direction 
nb:  thought I'd add I have to have 1000 mcg of folic acid, iron supplement and 3 injections which equals 3ml of iron every two weeks from now on as my haemoglobin is so low 

Edited by mystiquarte

Carol_42

Jan 2017.  A1c 6.3

Apr 2017.  A1c 5.4

Recently my doctor told me I am no longer pre-diabetic.   But I am humble enough to watch my weight by staying true to a Keto diet and walking at least 15 minutes for 5 days out of a week.  I consider a diagnoses of this disease as a warning that I must keep my weight down to ward off many other ailments that could limit my longevity.  I'm especially using diet and exercise to maintain healthy bones.  I refuse to allow the radiation treatment I endured to cripple me.

mystiquarte

I have just received my results of my last A1c test and they were exceptional, my GP is absolutely thrilled with my progress:-

• July 2016 9.3
  • Nov 2016 7.5
  • Jan 2017 7.1
  • Apr 2017 5.8

This last result surpassed my expectations and I happily floated on a cloud all the way home..!

mystiquarte

thank you so much Kit, Mike and Hammer you have really helped me get here and I appreciate all your help so very much, particularly when I thought 5.8 was just a dream!

Kit

You've made a lot of progress, especially if you look back at your previous numbers.  You have every reason to be proud.  :)

Carol_42

Oh, Mysti, that is excellent news. I can feel your joy and happiness. Sending hugs.

CB

Uff Da

Boohoo! I just got the results of my blood test last week. My A1c went up to 6.1. That's the first time it has been above the 5s in almost four years. I'm going to have to change my signature.

Actually, I'm just grateful it wasn't even higher. I've had a terrible time with control these last few months and have hit many numbers in the 200s. One was even over 300. I don't know what happened all of a sudden, but it appears I've become more insulin resistant - unless more beta cells conked out all of a sudden after this many years of being quite stable. So far it appears that my I:C ratio has increased between 20 and 50%. Plus my first test of DP indicates it has increased drastically - from about 40-50 point increase between 3 or 4 AM and 10:30 or 11 AM to a 122 point increase! Will have to do more tests on that last one, though, as part of that big increase could have been delayed absorption from a high protein snack in the evening.

macksvicky

Sorry about the new A1C! But if anyone can bring it back in line I'm sure you can. I hate when diabetes throws you a curve ball out of left field.

Dave_KC

I just got my A1c tested yesterday Now reporting on the patient portal...it's 5.0%...  Happy dance time!   :)

Here's the straight Copy & paste from the website. 

Hemoglobin A1c/Hemoglobin.total in Blood
  5.0 % 4.0-6.0 completed Not applicable 05/02/2017

I guess grazing all this time has really helped!

Edited by Dave_KC

Dave_KC

I just got my A1c tested yesterday Now reporting on the patient portal...it's 5.0%...  Happy dance time!   :)

Here's the straight Copy & paste from the website. 

I guess grazing all this time has really helped!

And the Dr. Office called, and they're already reducing my meds as a result.  Guess I'll need to change my signature line.

TooSweetForMe

I had a quick A1c test done in December and I was 6.5, end of March I was 6.6 - I was surprised I didn't go up more because of all the holiday foods.

Fraser

I was a little concerned, just did not think I was pushing the exercise as much or controlling my eating,

But surprise I got a free pass, no change at 5.7!

So time to knuckle down. I doubt I will get a free pass the second time.

Happy camper today!