Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

chadha

What's your last A1C?

apollo322
well, ya did better than me, sir!

:P

Then yay! Lol sorry if you thought I was complaining. I'm happy it's low it's just that lousy tenth extra pisses me off a little bit:) I know that's stupid but it's what makes me me:)

chadha

Today the results came up and this time it is 7.0 [avr of 155].

3 months back it was 7.6 [avr of 172]

I don't say things are going great and as I want to be but still a considerable improvement from last time when my 2hr post meal numbers used to go as high 220-240, now even the PP figures don't go above 180, mind this is the highest I go not an average score PP.

While the Basal Insulin isn't properly fixed yet and I'm still to give up a small percentage of carbs, I'm sure next time it will be somewhere between 6.4-6.8.

Believe it or not setting up Basal on your own and without a CGMS took me longer than I thought. The transition from MDIs to Pump caused them to increase.

Results are just fine not satisfactory for me,,  Yet a Long way to go  :driver:

Edited by chadha

Kit

So I just got the results from my latest blood test this morning.

A bit of history

So, I was first diagnosed on January 27th, 2014 with a BG reading of 288 and an A1C of 10.4.

On April 29, I was tested again with an A1C of 6.7.

August 7th I came in at 5.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Lots of jumping up and down and swearing with joy and excitement)

May as well give the results of my lipid panel as well.

HDL went from 31 to 42

LDL went from not calculated to 111

Triglycerides went from 479 to 148

And I'm still trying to come up with a way to make my case on increasing my Metformin dose.  :D

Kit

Oh, I should add, I've also lost 38 pounds since Jan 27th.  :)  I'm one pound away from my initial target and I'm thinking I may go for another 10.

Tanikit

Mine was 7.3 this morning - I am hoping this is just an adjustment to the pump and sorting that out, but I have not been watching things as well as I was previously so I had expected it to rise some. Still I am a bit disappointed.

chadha

Mine was 7.3 this morning - I am hoping this is just an adjustment to the pump and sorting that out, but I have not been watching things as well as I was previously so I had expected it to rise some. Still I am a bit disappointed.

Yes.. Tanikit, it's most likely due to the transition to pump, and it might take more time. Don't lose hope, keep setting the Basal until it's done, I understand your pain because I've gone through the it, not having CGMS makes it even more difficult, and checking basal followed by adjusting isn't all, you've verify as well. But keep trying.I believe you CAN.

In my case it took more than 6 months, now that my basal is almost for 24 hours I'm having less variations, this time I might score in the 6% club, last one in July it was exactly 7%.

Good luck.

k_dub

I finally saw my endocrinologist for the first time since I had the baby on September 8th.  It's been almost a year.  I saw  him last October while pregnant and then winter came and driving 4 hours to see him while pregnant was risky.  And then I started a new job and have been caring for an infant, so it just wasn't priority.

I was pleasantly surprised that my A1c was 6.0%.

I was certain that it would be much higher.  I thought closer to 7%.  

I have not been testing like I was pre-baby.  Some days, I may test once.  My Dexcom has not been working well - I think the sensor gets kicked a lot as I am still breastfeeding.  

Anyhow, it was nice to see that I still follow some general habits that allow me to be in control even if I'm not monitoring as closely as I should.

Due to major life changes, I haven't been following my low carb diet as closely as I used to.  I still eat lower carb most of the time, but I'm not as stringent as I used to be.  I'm lucky if I get to eat at all let alone be picky about being ultra low carb.  I feel like I am often shooting in the dark given my infrequent testing, but apparently I'm good at guesstimation.  However, I do not recommend this approach to anyone!

It's just my sleep-deprived, crazy reality at the moment.

Stl-T2

6.0 from the most recent labs on Sept 5th.  Down from 10.5 on June 20th!  My weight and BG readings are still dropping, so I'm hoping to make it into the 5 club next time by just doing what I'm doing.

Orlando

4.8, about six months ago, eligible for another test in six months time. Its the VERY BEST I can manage

Edited by Orlando

apollo322

Ok certainly not bad but I've been creeping up just a bit for the past year. A 6.2 today, a 6.0 last time after 2 yrs of 5.7-5.9. I think it's time to start some met:) I had a nice run drug free:)

GrammaBear

6.7 - down .2 from six months ago.

Thought it would be much worse because I did not watch what I ate this Summer.

Bountyman

6.7 - down .2 from six months ago.

Thought it would be much worse because I did not watch what I ate this Summer.

No one remembers what they ate this summer...or what their A1c was. What they remember is how enjoyable their summer was. Everyone dies regretting what they didn't do. No one does wishing they'd gotten their A1c a little freakin' lower! ;)

pat593

6.3 - again. Thought it would have gone down but at least not up!  My endo thinks I have great control and sees no reason to try for the "5 percent" club as a Type 1.  She claims there is very little difference between a low six and a high five, especially if the cost is too many lows.

A daily struggle!  Congrats to all who manage great results against all odds.  My inspiration.

ParishM

i was diagnosed type 2 on 2/18/14 with a glucose reading of 360

and weighed 410 lbs. since then i have lost 60 lbs (349 this morning)

and tried to keep my glucose under control. i had my first A1C test

on 9/13/14 and got the results today (6.1).  this was my first test so i

had no idea what to expect, it says normal diabetic range is less

than 7% yet it says my 6.1 is high so i'm confused.

these are my 60 day averages

pre-meal     105

post meal   122

daily avg     111

DSCN4029_zps60fdc70a.jpg

chadha

Hey Parish. Welcome to Df. I'm type 1 diab, your A1c 6.1 isn't certainly out of range, but you can score even lower without any doubt.

Your Average of 60 days is appreciable.

By chance if you check bg more than once a day, we have a thread where we input your daily average -

[url=http://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/topic/74049-your-daily-bg-average/]

It keeps us motivated to score better...

Edited by chadha

chadha

6.3 - again. Thought it would have gone down but at least not up! My endo thinks I have great control and sees no reason to try for the "5 percent" club as a Type 1. She claims there is very little difference between a low six and a high five, especially if the cost is too many lows.

A daily struggle! Congrats to all who manage great results against all odds. My inspiration.

You've scored very well, Pat. I will take some motivation from your post.

The threads like Last A1c and Daily Average gives each one of us the liberty and a chance to speak up how we feel about our readings, reports and tests, and the best part is it isn't limited to us, this inspires others also....

Edited by chadha

Stl-T2

had no idea what to expect, it says normal diabetic range is less

than 7% yet it says my 6.1 is high so i'm confused.

I think the reference range of <5.7 is for non-diabetics.  

Uff Da

A1c of 5.9 here on September 25, 2014.  That's up from 5.6 in May, but I'm okay with it.  I'd been having too many hypos, sometimes more than one a day, primarily due to more exercise this summer (yard work), so I lowered my basal from 6 units to 5 units daily on August 16.  That seems to be working well for now.  I suspect that as soon as the rains start and I quit my rock landscaping project, I'll go back to 6 units again.  In the meantime, I've had only eight mild hypos so far in September and none lower than 52.  Previously I'd been getting quite a few in the 40s and occasionally one in the 30s.

chadha

A1c of 5.9 here on September 25, 2014.  That's up from 5.6 in May, but I'm okay with it.  I'd been having too many hypos, sometimes more than one a day, primarily due to more exercise this summer (yard work), so I lowered my basal from 6 units to 5 units daily on August 16.  That seems to be working well for now.  I suspect that as soon as the rains start and I quit my rock landscaping project, I'll go back to 6 units again.  In the meantime, I've had only eight mild hypos so far in September and none lower than 52.  Previously I'd been getting quite a few in the 40s and occasionally one in the 30s.

Congrats Carol on having recognized the issues, adjusting doses and of course A1C. 

The exercise is a boon for type 2 definitely, but for us, it plays game, any physical activity can cause variations. I've also been having Ups and Downs lately and I'm failing to adjust bgs. I went into books again, Think Like a Pancreas, was more helpful among others, and in the book, Garry, suggests to make changes in the bolus when getting exposure to any new exercise or activities if and as needed.