Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

chadha

What's your last A1C?

Eh562300

This is a very inspiring thread.  To all of you who are working on controlling your diabetes:  :congrats: .

I have no results to report other than those in my signature line. I am taking the Walgreens a1c tests once a week and watching those go down, but not sure of their accuracy (they look exactly like a1c now).

My endo won't run another a1c for me until early February, three months after the November 10 test of 8.5.

samuraiguy

This is a very inspiring thread.  To all of you who are working on controlling your diabetes:  :congrats: .

I have no results to report other than those in my signature line. I am taking the Walgreens a1c tests once a week and watching those go down, but not sure of their accuracy (they look exactly like a1c now).

My endo won't run another a1c for me until early February, three months after the November 10 test of 8.5.

Congratulations on keeping on top of your numbers, but I can save you some money by letting you know that the A1C measures an average of the previous 2 - 3 months so one week may not have enough variance to be accurate. Perhaps once a month until you are at your goal level--I know it kills me to wait for those numbers and they put me on the "every six month check" plan due to my good numbers :P--and use your daily meter measurements as a guide, i.e. if you are looking to have an A1C under 6.5 as a first target then your FBG should be less than 120 mg/dl, your 1 hour postprandial less than 160 mg/dl, your 2 hour postprandial under 140 mg/dl so if you are getting repeated numbers over those levels then confirm with an A1C, otherwise if always under then wait for the one month or 3 month A1C.

Eh562300

I know -- you are right -- but I wanted to test once a week at first to make sure I things were going in the right direction.  I only have one more test left so will quit after that.  It's just curiosity, and the tests are more heavily weighted to the last 30 days.

My numbers are well below those numbers in your post, but for the first month of readings they would be pretty high.  

Congratulations on keeping on top of your numbers, but I can save you some money by letting you know that the A1C measures an average of the previous 2 - 3 months so one week may not have enough variance to be accurate. Perhaps once a month until you are at your goal level--I know it kills me to wait for those numbers and they put me on the "every six month check" plan due to my good numbers :P--and use your daily meter measurements as a guide, i.e. if you are looking to have an A1C under 6.5 as a first target then your FBG should be less than 120 mg/dl, your 1 hour postprandial less than 160 mg/dl, your 2 hour postprandial under 140 mg/dl so if you are getting repeated numbers over those levels then confirm with an A1C, otherwise if always under then wait for the one month or 3 month A1C.

Ozzy

Hey all...I have  a question:

In April I was diagnosed and my A1C was 12.4. In June it was 9.1. In August it was 7.3, and in December it is now 6.6

Is 6.6 considered good? Am I on the right track in lowering my A1C? Should I be lower by now or am I about where I should be after 9 months?

Thanks

Edited by Ozzy

Eh562300

I agree, that's great progress.

On the subject of a1c tests -- I am reading a book right now called the Diabetes Miracle by Diane Kress.  The book states that for each point that a1c is lowered, there is a gain of five pounds of fat, but that the fat will disappear instantly if following a low carb diet.  Has anyone else heard of this?

http://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Miracle-Prevent-Control-Permanently-ebook/dp/B006LOR3Y0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419361383&sr=8-1&keywords=diabetes+miracle

Ozzy

Personally I would aim for under 6, but an almost 6 point drop in 9 months is awesome progress.  :)

Thanks for the feedback. I have definently come a long ways. Weight is down, neuropathy is slowly easing, but I was kind of hoping my latest A1C would be at 6.0 or under. However, it's hard for me to gage if I should already be there or not?

Anyways getting more and more used to the lchf, and I will try and up my exercise these next 3 months

Java

wow, great progress!  i'd personally aim for lower, something less than 6.4 but i think everyone is different

congrats on what you've been able to do ~ you've had a successful year!

apollo322

You have come a long way in a short time. Congratulations! Keep at it we feel like it's worth it to be a bit lower, but what you've accomplished is fantastic

Forester

Since have my semi-annual checkup in a couple of weeks, I had my bloodwork done at the same time as my wife, and I just got the results back: 

HbA1c: 5.1, which closely matches my daily averages and my FastA1c test-at-home of 5.0.

Fasting BG: 78, and this compares favorably with the 84 I got at the same time on my ReliOn Confirm meter.

My wife, however showed a problem: HbA1c of 5.8%, with a fasting BG of 105.  She is now "prediabetic".  These numbers also agree with my at-home testing of her earlier this week after she was complaining of thirst.  I will see if I can get her to join us on these forums.

Edited by Forester

Kit

Grats on your A1C.  Sorry about your wife's diagnosis.  At least she has you for help.  :)

Forester

Thanks, I've learned a lot in the past year, from these forums and from lots of reading.  Now her boss/primary care doc (she's also my pcp) is strongly suggesting going with a LCHF diet.  A year ago she never would have suggested that!  She was strictly following ADA guidelines.  But I have been sending her copies of journal articles, which she actually reads, and is now a lot more open minded.  And now she will have my wife as another good example to follow for her patients.

Rdani87

I was 11.1 in May, 10.1 in August, and just got my newest A1C on Thursday - 9.5.  Not as much progress as I was hoping but this is the lowest I remember my A1C ever being!  Trying desperately to get it down to 7.0 asap.  Baby steps, baby steps.

macksvicky

You're doing great, you'll be at your goal before you know it :)  I bet you must feel better with your numbers going in the right direction :) 

chadha

I was 11.1 in May, 10.1 in August, and just got my newest A1C on Thursday - 9.5.  Not as much progress as I was hoping but this is the lowest I remember my A1C ever being!  Trying desperately to get it down to 7.0 asap.  Baby steps, baby steps.

It's been not too long since you've been trying to get it down from 11.1. And since you're a T1 just like me it shall some take time, so long your will is strong nobody can stop you to get it below 9. Good luck. Just Keep faith. And yes let me brag lil about Df, whoever comes here with high levels or unsatisfactory levels or incomplete diabetes education, takes no time to bounce back and improve.

If you like posting your averages you may start posting herehttp://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/topic/74049-your-daily-bg-average/

Sobriquet

I'm getting my next official a1c next week...

One thing i find strange however - for my last a1c, i got 5.3% from my endo using their machine. In the same week, my gynecologist took blood samples for a range of things, which i just found out also included an hba1c - and i got 5.6%

Looks like a1c tests have the same degree of error as finger stick tests!

I am sure the next one will be higher - i'm just hoping i stay under 6...

Rdani87

You're doing great, you'll be at your goal before you know it :)  I bet you must feel better with your numbers going in the right direction :)

Thank you, I do feel better!  :) 

It's been not too long since you've been trying to get it down from 11.1. And since you're a T1 just like me it shall some take time, so long your will is strong nobody can stop you to get it below 9. Good luck. Just Keep faith. And yes let me brag lil about Df, whoever comes here with high levels or unsatisfactory levels or incomplete diabetes education, takes no time to bounce back and improve.

If you like posting your averages you may start posting herehttp://www.diabetesforums.com/forum/topic/74049-your-daily-bg-average/

Thank you for the encouragement.  I know good A1Cs take time and hard work, and I want to be more active here on DF especially since I don't really know any other diabetics in my area.