Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanerMacP

Recently diagnosed but not convinced

JanerMacP

Hello everyone - appreciate any insight the experts can offer.

I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and had a 3 hour glucose test at 14 weeks (this is my second baby, no GD with my first). My fasting level was 5.1 mmol/l which is the cut off. I don't have my 1 and 2 hour values but they were below the threshold. Because of this 5.1 I had to go to the diabetes clinic for self testing. I tested my values for a week and have written the levels out below. The values they told me to be below are fasting 5.3, 1 hour 8.0 and 2 hours 7.0. You can clearly see that almost all of the values fall below where they should, there are a few with * beside them which indicate I had something to eat between the one hour intervals, and the two 5.8 before meal tests were because 1) ate a late lunch and then an early dinner so an hour lapsed between the 2 hour and before eating tests, and 2) was taken at 4 am after only sleeping 3 hours and eating a bowl of cereal (bran, no sugar) with strawberries. I really don't believe I have a sugar problem.

My Dr is adamant that I do and that I might need additional treatment and wants me to continue testing 10 times a day. I do try to eat well - no candy, chips, chocolate, soda, and rarely any sweets - but I am still throwing up every day with severe nausea and I just don't have it in me to eat salad 3 times a day. The only thing that really stays down is carbs - whole wheat toast, wheat bagels - that kind of thing. I don't eat rice or pasta, and can stomach meat maybe once or twice a week. I have lost 20 lbs and am not in a position to eat 5 times a day.

The clinic is already trying scare tactics by telling me I will more than likely have to be induced with a C because of my extra large baby, my first came on his own at 37 weeks weighing 3.3 kilos, I had a 6 hour labor completely natural with 2 stitches. I am frustrated to say the least.

So am I right to push back at the diagnosis and keep challenging him? I don't want to be pigeon holed into this GD category if its not necessary. I will have to pay 2k in extra medical bills that are not covered, nevermind the stress of the whole thing.

Any insight is appreciated.

Fast 1 HR 2 HR

5.0 5.9 4.5

5.1 7.2 5.9

3.9 5.1 5.5

4.5 7.5 6.2

5.1 6.7 5.9

4.9 5.2 5.1

4.9 6.7 5.6

Thanks!!

Jane

mom24grlz

i'd find a new doctor. 5.1 and 5.8 come out to 91.8 and 104.4, which is both within normal blood sugar ranges. I've tested my sugar (non diabetic) and those are the numbers i have. I'm not sure how they concluded that you have gestational diabetes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.