Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

susannuts

am i considered type 2 diabetic already? please help

susannuts

Ladies, i just had my blood tests post partum and i'm really sad with the results. For years i have impaired glucose tolerance, but now after 11 weeks after i had my baby this is the results of my ogtt, fbs and hba1c.

Fbs - 75

2 hour post 75gram glucose load (Ogtt) -263

Hba1c - 5.6%

With the failed ogtt, is it enough to diagnose me to have type 2 diabetes even if my fbs and hba1c are still normal? I'm really sad about the results, i'm still exclusively breastfeeding my 2 month old and have been craving a LOT of carbs lately.... My doctors appointment is next week, but i'm anxious if she'll diagnose me as type 2 with the result that i have

susannuts

i have been on a low carb diet for weeks prior to the test, do you it may have contributed to my ogtt result being very poor?

Tanikit

That is high for that test. I do not think low carb makes you react worse - in fact many times it saves your pancreas a bit so that it can respond to glucose.

Do you have a meter at home - can you test yourself after your meals and see what is going on?

I have a feeling the low carb diet is to explain for the good hba1c actually - so don't stop it.

samuraiguy

The A1C of 5.6 is definitively flirting with prediabetes so until you get an official diagnosis I would still eat and exercise as if you were. I just want to let you know from personal experience even if you are diagnosed diabetic you can certainly keep up with your current routine and maintain healthy A1C's. You now know you would just need to avoid having 75g quick carbs at one setting.

TrickyTreeFrog

I am going to have fun with you name so here goes:

Susan don't go Nuts over this :D....stress will bring BG reading up a tad....so, don't stress wait and see what the doctor says...but, if you are a diabetic you have caught it early and that is GOOD...because you can manage it with diet and meds. Remember you body is still adjusting after stressing it out having a baby. :T

The way I look at things that happen to me as I grow older is this:

There are hurdles along the road and I can either plow them down and let them slow me down or like the olympics take each as a challenge and master jumping over them....every now and then I might knock one down or stubb my foot on one but I never give in or give up.....so, relax....wait....don't stress.....let the doctor tell you then take the bull by the horns and continue the path....(I know..easier said then done....but, that's why the "D" family is here for awesome support).

Mongo Hugs,

Da Fwog

Tanikit

As for the breastfeeding - it can make you hungry and make you crave things - if it is chocolate you are craving you could go for 70-85% dark chocolate as this is lower in carbs and may trick your body. You could also try tricking yourself by making lower carb versions of the things you crave (if you buy low carb versions then you need to check them carefully as some of them lie - (look at the total carbs and not the total net carbs). You probably do need more carbs to breastfeed - so get a meter and keep testing yourself. Breastfeeding uses up a lot of energy and you may just need lower carb foods more often in the day or be able to cope with quite a few carbs if they are just not all in one go or not very high glyceamic index foods. You really must just keep testing - have you got a meter? I certainly wouldn't stop the breastfeeding for this alone - it can actually do your sugar levels a lot of good if you can test through it and eat the right things too. Maybe try things like brown rice in small quantities and see how they affect your levels - it is carbs and some people still do ok on it.

Ela

Hey Susan,

I wonder how many people don’t get diagnosed just for the reason that doctors rarely admin OGTT test anymore? And even funnier: some have A1C of 6.5 and are still “prediabetics” and there are some members with A1C around 7 or MORE that are still “prediabetics”! My own brother in law has 6.5 and his GP doctor said – it’s nothing, you don’t have any diabetes, don’t worry about it! His endo though said he surely has diabetes but don’t worry about it and take care of your anemia…

But yeah, I know it’s frustrating and who wouldn’t be upset? Big hugs to you! But look at it this way: many people have some abnormalities and while for the doctors there is some “line” where “real diabetes” starts (funny that for different doctor there is a different line!) in real life the “lines” are not clearly defined. So don’t worry about the label. To me (and I’m no doctor but a very curious diabetic) your test results say that you have some abnormalities and have a tendency to develop diabetes, but your condition is mild so far and you shouldn’t worry much about getting complications any time soon.

While it’s frustrating maybe it’s a good thing that now YOU KNOW you got to watch carbs and not to proceed as most of population following the food pyramid and load up on “whole grains” & “plenty of fruit”! I don’t even think you should totally remove carbs from your diet as of yet. It’s up to you though and I agree with others that the best way to know is to get a meter and start testing. This way you will know for sure which foods to avoid and which are your friends!

Again, I’m not a doctor but I do believe that your previous low carb diet might have contributed to your high result. However in any case it shouldn’t be THAT high. So yeah, there ARE some issues. But there is another thing – you just gave birth to your baby and it put huge stress on your body. I personally got protein in my urine when I gave birth to my son. And it never happened before or 31 years after that! IMHO it IS possible that this “glucose impairment” you’re experiencing now will improve over time. But it’s still a good idea to not overload on carbs anyway.

Good luck and big hugs!

susannuts

thank you so much for your replies ladies. after i saw my results, i am actually in denial. i'm almost sure that my doctor will diagnose me as type 2 diabetes in my next visit. and it really makes me sad.. but really, i know i must watch out for my carbs from now on.

just curious, when you were first diagnosed with type 2, what meds did your doctor gave you? is it metformin? or any other medicine? is metformin compatible with breastfeeding?

thanks so much...

jwags

Welcome to DF. Therenshould be a reference rangenon your lab report. Usually any number above 200 indicates possible diabetes. But only your doctor can dx you. My DIL is breastfeeding. Although she is not diabetic she has thyroid problems somher nutritionist has her on an organic grain free diet. She seems to be doing fairly well on the diet. I would say if yiu are hungry eat. i was not put on any meds at first and my HbA 1 c was double yours. 3 months later I was put on Metformin.

Tanikit

You can take metformin while breastfeeding. At your levels however if you keep to a low carb diet you probably do not need metformin yet - metformin can drop your hba1c by 1% and you do not need to do that. Just keep to a low carb diet, exercise a bit (take your baby for walks - rocking, carrying, dancing with your baby can give you way more exercise than you realise) and get a meter and get testing to find out what foods work for you. If you see your levels rising then you could ask your doctor about meds. However it is still up to the doctor to decide what you need or don't need. Let us know what they say.

susannuts

thank you for all the replies…

i just want to ask if lack of sleep has somehow contributed to the spike of my blood sugar in the ogtt 2hour test? because prior to the day of the blood test and to the day of the blood test itself, i hardly have any sleep at all, i had the test at 6:30am but had only 1 hour of sleep the night before...

samuraiguy

Any stress can cause the liver to dump extra glucose as a defense mechanism to give you enough energy to "flee" if necessary. To be honest though if you had a properly functioning pancreas and no insulin resistance at all your overall BG probably would barely budge from that amount.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.