Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lizzie G

any type 1s gone into labour naturally can you help?

Lizzie G

hi

im almost 37 weeks with my second child. my first was induced 39+5. as my mothers babies were all very late never really expected to "go" early.

since yesterday i gradually noticed iv been needing less insulin. not wildly less but enough that im keeping a watch and will go to the hospital if its continued. however as of today this has been accompanied by menstrual like pain. im wondering whether my body is gearing itself up to go into labour?

to those of you who have had spontaneous labours did you have drop in insulin requirement beforehand? & was period pain what it felt like early on? xxx

Tanikit

I am afraid I have no idea - keep an eye on baby's movements and on the cramping - apparently a natural labour can have contractions that are MUCH milder then an induction so that some who have been induced previously do not realise they are in labour til much later since they think it should be more painful (depending how long til you had a epi) Have you had Braxton Hicks - usually a lot of tightening. Period pain could be the start of labour - you could always go in and check. Maybe go and ask on a baby forum from people who gave birth on their own - we diabetics tend to get medical intervention. If it is then good luck - hope everything goes well and we are waiting eagerly to see your baby!

k_dub

Yes, Lizzie!!!

My insulin needs dropped by about 20% or so in the week before I went into spontaneous labor at 37 weeks. :)

Interestingly, I didn't feel most of my early labor. I felt my first contractions when they were timing 4 minutes apart and delivered Baby six hours later.

k_dub

I think you are getting close, Lizzie. I did have some mild cramping in the week before delivery.

Lizzie G

great news! what a brilliant first labour too!

im really doubting anything will happen for a while with me. i had a lot of cramps last time from this stage and wasnt even 1cm dilated when i was induced.

omg your new job were you at work when it all kicked off?

Lizzie G
I sure hope it is labor! What is the plan if you don't go into labor on your own?

Me too; I was looking forward to a few weeks at home with my son still in nursery but i have got to that really uncomfortable stage.

I had a lot of cramping at this stage last time but without the drop in insulin resistance and it never amounted to anything, so currently not sure whether I should be concerned about placental degradation (the drop in insulin resistance) or thinking i am actually going to go into natural labour in the next week or so; so few type 1s seem to go into natural labour that there doesnt seem to be a great bank of evidence, anecdotal or scientific, about what happens in the lead up to labour, good that someone as on the ball as Kellie has a story to share though! im not actually scheduled to go into clinic again until next monday (the 20th); i will just have to keep an eye on it and call them tomorrow if concerned. at the moment (well not this second) the baby is moving well.

i am booked to go in for induction at 40+6. i always assumed i would last that long because of my mothers history....those that were induced 42 weekers, the one where she refused induction, 44!!!!!

Jan B

Hi Lizzie -

I had natural labor and the birth took about 9-10 hours. My water broke at 6am and I stayed in bed for about 1/2 hour enjoying it before going to the hospital. My tiny contractions were slight, not the least bit painful, and far apart but constant. It was a Wednesday and I was to be induced on the coming Monday. My boy was just under 9 pounds. It was almost 30 years ago, so I have no recall of changes in insulin requirements. The night before, I had a big dinner and felt better than I had in weeks.

All the best!!! Oh - I didn't need any insulin for a week afterward - was like a miracle!

Lizzie G

thanks jan!

we soon forget dont we! i never had that insulin break with my first although i remember it being weird having such tiny amounts.

the strongest memory i have is the yucky black poo that he did a few hours after being born

iv probably got a few weeks yet. boo. just want to get him out and get dieting!!!

rubidoux

Ya know, I think most of us in the US see the doctor once a week and go in two more times for non-stress tests this late in a pregnancy. It must be so different there if you don't go in until the 20th. I gotta say the 3x/week was a huge pita. lol Especially for the second child, having your five year old there can make a non-stress test fairly stressful, iykwim.

Lizzie G

a lot of people do go in every week, it depends on how your control is, what baby looks like, what dopplers have shown re placenta. at my hospital the standard protocol is 38 week induction, my consultant is happy to letme go into 41st week due to how this pregnancy has been and the fact that my last was so healthy. i will be having twice weekly monitoring from 38 weeks tho which is annoying. luckily im keeping my son in nursery until the baby comes so dont have that to deal with, but its hardly the month lying on the couch i was dreaming of!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.