Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryska

For Tanikit - Glucose vs Menstrual Cycle

Tryska

Not sure how else to attach a pic so I started a thread. lol Here's a quick and dirty. I wish I had more data to show, but I only started monitoring glucose Nov 15th, and I pretty much lost all my menstrual cycle data when my tablet had issues before Christmas:

post-56994-139628788172_thumb.jpg

(This post is based on the morning readings thread where I made the below observations on insulin resistance during my cycle:

"Judging from last month, I seem to run about 10 to 20 point lower in luteal phase, and much less insulin resistance. And then when the new cycle starts, that first "blank week" I'm quite resistant until estrogen starts building up and kicking in, and then I stabilize (at higher than luteal). I should see If I can take a pic of my Daily Average graph from my Diabete App and mark it up with up my cycle phases and see what the pic looks like. lol " )

Tanikit

That is interesting. I can only judge mine from the amount of insulin I have to take.

Two months back: 9,5 at night in the follicular phase and 15,5 at night by the end of the luteal phase

10,5 in the morning in the follicular phase and 16,5 by the end of the luteal phase dropping down to 10 on CD1

Changed diet in the late luteal phase of the above cycle.

One month back: 11,5 in the morning of early follicular phase dropping to 10 by ovulation, 13,5 by end of luteal phase

10 in the night of the early follicular phase, 9 by ovulation, 12 by late luteal phase

This month: 10,5 in the morning in the follicular phase, dropping to 10 by ovulation and then stayed at 10 til the end of the luteal phase

10 at night in the follicular phase, dropping to 9,5 by ovulation and dropping further through the luteal phase to 7 by the end of this phase.

Tryska

Hmm...sounds like this cycle is similar to how my last month went. I think you are good to start with 7 as you are now, and adjust up as necessary - probably better than overcorrecting. I'd be curious to see if you need moreover the next couple of weeks, or if I am a fluke, as I've always heard estrogen was good for Insulin Resistance. I guess it is when it actually kicks in. Those first 6 days after my cycle ended threw me for a loop this last time, because I was so used to seeing the numbers get better and better. lol

JanetP

I was thinking of you two this morning. Wondering if Tulsi tea would help you. Tryska, since you suggested it to me I have been drinking it almost daily and my hot flashes have greatly diminished. I wonder if it would effect your cycles and insulin requirements.

Tanikit

That is interesting - I am not in perimenopause - at least I better not be as I am too young, but was getting hot flashes in the cycles when my luteal phase had the highest insulin. They have since gone away - thank heavens. Where do you get Tulsi tea from and what is in it and what is it supposed to do? I suspect I was highly estrogen dominant or had some weird homronal imbalance that was causing the PMDD and all sorts of other symptoms. Either way I think another month or two on this diet and things will look as they should.

However - now I have to start teaching the person advising me why I am essentially grain free and why the ADAs recommendations for diabetics (type 2, but to some extent also type 1 as far as weight loss/gain goes never mind the sugar levels - what I read in an article would make me very fat) do not work well. I wonder if I can be convincing enough :) I am losing too much weight though so may need to increase carbohydrates again, but it may also be that I am running slightly hyperthyroid now and I would prefer to fix that before adding carbs to fight a hormone that might be wrong (done enough of that in my lifetime).

JanetP

I ordered my first box from Amazon, then found a health food store that carries it. It is also called holy basil. It supposedly balances hormonal levels. I have been using mag citrate powder (very low dose) to help me sleep at night and to control mood. I was wondering if it would help with your PMDD. I missed a few doses and immediately went into a deep depression. You may want to investigate that as most people are deficient in magnesium as it is.

Tryska
I was thinking of you two this morning. Wondering if Tulsi tea would help you. Tryska, since you suggested it to me I have been drinking it almost daily and my hot flashes have greatly diminished. I wonder if it would effect your cycles and insulin requirements.

Janet that is great to hear! Glad it helped. To be honest, since I quit taking metformin, everything has calmed down, and I'm sure the diet is helping too. I haven't taken Tulsi in a bit, but I need to start up - I was just thinking that this weekend, as the boxes of tea were in the corner of my eye while I was cooking. lol

Tanikit - Tulsi is Indian Holy Basil - it's an adaptogen - very mellow and nutrititive. And also good for Thyroid support (I'm hypo too):

Tulsi Geleé for Natural Hormone Healing - Empowered Sustenance

JanetP

I tried making the gelee and did not like the way it turned out. I do better just drinking the tea. I am also hypothyroid. Can't tell a difference there.

Wouldn't you be able to tell where you are in your cycle by your morning temp? That used to be a way women tracked ovulation when they wanted to get pregnant.

Katrinka85
Not sure how else to attach a pic so I started a thread. lol Here's a quick and dirty. I wish I had more data to show, but I only started monitoring glucose Nov 15th, and I pretty much lost all my menstrual cycle data when my tablet had issues before Christmas:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8266[/ATTACH]

(This post is based on the morning readings thread where I made the below observations on insulin resistance during my cycle:

"Judging from last month, I seem to run about 10 to 20 point lower in luteal phase, and much less insulin resistance. And then when the new cycle starts, that first "blank week" I'm quite resistant until estrogen starts building up and kicking in, and then I stabilize (at higher than luteal). I should see If I can take a pic of my Daily Average graph from my Diabete App and mark it up with up my cycle phases and see what the pic looks like. lol " )

this is an awedome graph. Are you using some kind of an app or website? i'd like to see my numbers and how the graph looks ..

thanks!

Tanikit

I tried EVERYTHING for PMDD before I tried this diet - every supplement that was suggested in whatever form I could get it in, anti depressants, the pill (in a few different forms), various vitamins, magnesium, magnesium and calcium, folate, b12, B6 - you name it I had tried it. This diet is the ONLY thing that has ever worked - and I think it is because I was not able to absorb all the supplements I was taking while continuing to ruin my body with gluten and dairy. The dairy in particular seems to set off severe depression in me. So this cycle there has been no PMDD as I used to know it. It is not 100% perfect yet, but they say it can take 6 months to clear your whole body up.

I know this month I had no depression except that associated with low sugars (this is a different type of depression and lifts within an hour of treating a low). I also had less anger and irritability, was better able to concentrate, did not feel overwhelmed as much as normal, had no bloating and gassiness, did not pick up weight during this phase and felt less likely to socially isolate myself. And all because of diet - a very very very strict diet I'll be honest, but it is getting easier and as things come right I will be able to add some things back into the diet and be ok.

I know I have created some sort of hormonal balance that was certainly not there before - I feel adrenalin pounding through me when I am low and also when I get tense which was totally absent before. The insulin drops during the late luteal phase show that something has changed with those hormones too (progesterone and estrogen) Now, if I just knew what my thyroid was doing - I am possibly slightly hyperthyroid now because of the meds I am taking - I have been on quite a high dose while on the gluten and I suspect the dose needs to be dropped - I do not really want anything else that will help with thyroid function right now til I find out how hyperthyroid I am running (I have Hashimoto's so am normally hypothyroid) Will look and see if I can get the tea here or order some as I like tasting new teas and can see what it does.

In my 20s I would complain to psychologists that I am a "hormonal mess" - serotonin, dopamine, adrenalin and noradrenalin, insulin, thyroid hormone, cortisol (for the asthma), estrogen, progesterone - I was taking the lot. No one listened because they didn't understand that there has to be a balance and taking several different pills under several different doctors cannot possibly get balance and nor did anyone know what was causing the severe imbalance. I am now ONLY on insulin and thyroid meds and they are being carefully adjusted and lowered and my body is a lot happier.

Tanikit

Here are my readings from CD1 - I kept the morning Levemir at 10 units and it seems it is as right as it can be without a pump. To me this is amazing and was unexpected.

07:00 5.4 (97)

08:30 5.2 (94)

09:40 5.4 (97)

11:45 5.3 (95)

13:20 4.2 (76)

16:00 6.9 (124)

Tryska
I tried making the gelee and did not like the way it turned out. I do better just drinking the tea. I am also hypothyroid. Can't tell a difference there.

Wouldn't you be able to tell where you are in your cycle by your morning temp? That used to be a way women tracked ovulation when they wanted to get pregnant.

I havent tried the gelee either although i keep meaning too. I usually make a pitcher of tea and keep it.in the fridge and drink a glass with my evening pills. I guess becauze i dont really take anything except my armour thyroid and that is sublingual, ive gotten out of the habit.

And yes -still take my basal body temp every morning! I have an app on my phone that i record it in and it breaks down the phases for me.

this is an awedome graph. Are you using some kind of an app or website? i'd like to see my numbers and how the graph looks ..

thanks!

Hi Katrinka, i use an app called OnTrack (Android) to track my BS readings. This graph came from there and they have other helpful graphs too. Also a log you can export and it will calculate estimated A1C too. Its been great for charting progress.

I also use OvuView -that is another app to chart cycles and i record.my daily temps there. I basically just exported the chart from OnTrack and then overlaid the info crom OvuView.

Here are my readings from CD1 - I kept the morning Levemir at 10 units and it seems it is as right as it can be without a pump. To me this is amazing and was unexpected.

07:00 5.4 (97)

08:30 5.2 (94)

09:40 5.4 (97)

11:45 5.3 (95)

13:20 4.2 (76)

16:00 6.9 (124)

These look really ideal! Did you correct for the 76 or was that DP?

Also do you take your temp every AM? If so that might give you an insight into how your thyroid is doing. When i was low and untreated my dailies would be in the 96s. I had to make my own chart with a lower range and mever put 2 and 2 together. Now that i am stable, my temps are 97.7(follicular) to 98.3(luteal) usually. If they went to high 98s or into the 99s waking, i would suspect i was going hyper. (Sorry i dont know how that looks Centigrade)

Tanikit

Thanks Tryska - I had forgotten about doing that. At my worst with hypothyroidism I was getting temps as low as 94 - I asked a doctor about it and they just laughed - maybe they thought I was taking my temperature incorrectly (I was not) as this is below what they usually consider hypothermia. My normal temperature since I was diagnosed as hypothyroid is around 97.7 and unless I have a fever I have never measured it above that. So I guess doing that in the morning might give me a better idea - and tell me when I ovulate too. I haven't needed to track my cycle with temperature for a while now as I get other very clear signs about what is happening - I always know.

No, I never corrected the 76 as it was lunch time and I just ate as normal. Things have been less ideal late this afternoon running up to 135 - this is partly a basal problem and partly also related to a sugar free sweet I ate earlier that did not agree with me in any way whatsoever. I guess that is off the diet sheet now too. Sigh.

Tryska

That is interesting Janet - the results there are similar to what Tanikit was experiencing prior to changing her diet, and the opposite of what I have experienced the past couple of months. Of course one swallow does not a summer make, so I will need to track longer, but I wonder if it is also predicated on diet? I will presume most of the women tested in the various studies, weren't eating LC like we are eating currently.

Tanikit

Low carb is not what changed things for me - I was on low carb all the months listed here - it was only dropping the gluten and dairy that did that. Even on low carb I was having extreme changes and going very very high in the luteal phase. As far as paleo goes I think paleo does a couple of things and that is the problem - it is not necessarily the low carb that changes things - it can be the elimination of grains and dairy and it is hard to piece one thing from another with paleo diets.

I have read that very low carb can affect female hormones in ways that are not ideal as the article says. I am not sure how low the original poster went though. I know I have been on very very low carbs through the luteal phase recently and seen improvements in both sugars and mood, but I am eating higher carb now in the follicular phase and my basal needs have risen though not as much as last month. My cycles are still short (24 days) though expected to lengthen with this diet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.