Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

Caravaggio

Following Ronin's thread on cycling, I'm starting a thread on running. The main purpose is for runners, of all levels, to share their goals, motivations, lack of motivation, achievements for the day, obstacles, questions re running, injuries, pacing, training, fueling, apparel, shoes, and so on and so forth.

Let me start. This year my running goals are to do 2 half-marathons, in preparation for a full marathon in 2015. I thought I was through with full marathons, that is, until last year's Boston bombing (those terrorists chose the wrong sport to terrorize). I will also continue my objective of combining racing and travelling. My first race will be in May at the Aizu Higashiyama Onsen half-marathon near Aizu Wakamatsu in Fukushima. I chose this race because (1) I haven't been to Aizu Wakamatsu, (2) Aizu Wakamatsu is a beautiful Samurai City, rich with feudal and modern history, and (3) I want to support parts of Fukushima which are affected, not by any nuclear fallout, but by ignorance and misplaced fear. I'm running to build my running base and I'll start my half-marathon training by mid-February.

I haven't decided when and where my second half-marathon, but it will likely be sometime in autumn.

To our DF runners, please feel free to share.

Caravaggio

“It’s very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit.” – George Sheehan

rfrankr

This is a great thread. My goal originally, besides just being in better shape, was to see how good I could place in the 50+ class in a 5k mudrun. Then many friends wanted to do it too so now it'll just be for fun.

So since you started this thread I think its time to step up and do a 5k or 2 and see if I can finish a 10k. So far I think my biggest issue is all in my head. Once I think about stopping I'm almost done for. And if I actually stop then I won't be able to go very far without stopping again. Even though I know my legs can do it.

If I can get my head screwed on straight and slow my pace down I know 10k is doable. What kind of pace do you average on a half marathon? Do you go non-stop, start to finish?

Caravaggio

rfrankr

I'm a slow runner so my half-marathon is typically around 2.5 hours. For half-marathons, I run non-stop. But many people I know use a run-walk strategy - many of them I know finish their races faster than others who run non-stop. It doesn't matter how you get to the end (except cheating) as long as you start and finish (or know when to stop).

You can do a 10-K, you just need to train for it.

I'm planning to do a mudrun either this year or next year. It looks like a lot of fun.

graham44

Yeah...count me in too!

The last 4-5yrs my goals have been to "finish" whatever race I've signed up for. This year Im cutting the distances,going back and re-racing 3 races I've done before and am hoping to do them faster. So this is going to be a new challenge...and Im not sure how I'll do...which is what makes it challenging I guess lol. The only time Im sure of is a 15k I did 2 years ago...I did 7:58 miles Im shooting for 7:30 this year. I missed the sign up last year (sold out in 3 days) so I think I would have been a little better than 7:58. So Its not like im trying to drop :30/mile in 1 year...its more like over 2yrs.

rfrankr...like caravaggio said...you can do anything you train for. Dont worry how fast anyone else is...just set your goal to finish and then do it! After You get the distance down you can start to play with speed. Have you tried training with a heart rate monitor? Its a good way to keep you moving at a pace you can sustain. I personally dont even like "races" I sign up for 1-2 every year just to scare me into consistent training :D

rfrankr
..... Have you tried training with a heart rate monitor? Its a good way to keep you moving at a pace you can sustain.....

Well thats interesting you brought that up. We just started going to a gym and their treadmills have a heart rate monitor on them. I have no idea what ideal would be. The "cardio" option wants me at about 137, but that seems like a slow pace. About 12 something/mi. If I pick it up to 10 something then Im up around 150 I think. But I can maintain that for a couple miles. What HR range should I be maintaining? Or what should I look out for?

Caravaggio

I did a short 30-min run this morning. Due to heavy morning workload, I had to settle for a short run. My run was also slow, as my legs still feel like lead after skiing last weekend.

Lovely weather. Cool but not cold, and there was only a slight breeze so there was no chill factor to deal with. Sun was out. Great morning for a run.

I hope your run today is or will be as pleasant.

graham44

The link Caravaggio posted is as good as any but if you research it youll find a ton of info on training with heart rate. The biggest advantage Ive found is I can stay in an aerobic (mostly) fat burning zone and I can keep myself in check. The further I plan on going the lower I keep my heart rate. I check my heart rate monitor every couple minutes and If i get fatigued its usually because Im going too hard and the monitor will show that. If its 90 deg out...I might have to slow down a lot...but I will keep my heart rate in check and I will be able to finish the distance I set out to do.

In the example you gave you can maintain 150 for a couple miles, if you're training for a 10k you might have to kick it back to 140, or 130 even. If 130 = 12:00 miles and you keep training at it, you will get to the point where you can run 11:00 mi at 130 bpm etc.

most of monitors that are in the machines are ok but ive seen some that are really inconsistent. read up on heart rate training, if its something you want to try look into getting a monitor. You can get a cheap one for $20-$30. I like the ones with a strap.

Hammer

I can't add anything to this thread except to wish you good luck with your marathons Caravaggio. I used to jog, but I never had the chance to run in a marathon. I don't know how I would have done, but back in my early 30's, I would jog for about 5 miles, and the only reason I'd stop at 5 miles was because I had things to do. I wasn't tired or out of breath, and it makes me wonder just how far I could have jogged back then before I had to stop. At the end of 5 miles, I felt as good as before I started the jog, so I think that I could have probably jogged all day long. Unfortunately, I'll never know.

Anyway, again, good luck!

Caravaggio

Thanks Hammer.

I'd like to make clear to all runners that you don't have to do marathons (and ultra-marathons) to be a runner. But for many different reasons, I recommend entering races, even a 5K or a 3K, if you have the chance.

graham44
Thanks Hammer.

I'd like to make clear to all runners that you don't have to do marathons (and ultra-marathons) to be a runner. But for many different reasons, I recommend entering races, even a 5K or a 3K, if you have the chance.

Yep...agree 100%. I recommend signing up for a race for 2 reasons.

1st...it makes you train. Nobody wants to sign up for something and not finish what they started...that motivates you to get your butt out the door on days you really dont feel like.

2nd...a lot of them are flat out fun! At most "races" there is a group of competitive "good" runners who are trying to win it or beat some type of time goal they set...and then there is the other 80% that are there to have fun. Theres a lot of people jogging along having conversations and just enjoying themselves.

That 15k I said im doing this year has about 15,000 racers and the finish line is at a brewery. There is a huge (40,000 people) party at the finish line...free lunch, free beer if you want one, always a couple bands. There is everything from kenyans running 4:45/ miles to people taking well over 2hrs. Theres people running in costumes etc... A few years ago there was a short heavy guy wearing a white body suit that turned see through when he sweated (think wet t shirt) and all he was wearing was a thong underneath. It was a little disturbing but funny as heck at the same time :)

Caravaggio

A lot of these races are flat out fun. I did a marathon through wine country in France in 2010. It was a costume race. I remember a guy wearing a mask and leather brief (with cut out holes on the cheeks) and some chains. I'm sure I won't recognize him unless he takes his shirt off! A group of Japanese runners wore home-made costumes from Japanese newspapers. And, because it's wine country, 23 chateaus served us wine WHILE we were running.

I did another short run this morning because I overslept! Or maybe it's more like "I didn't feel like leaving my warm duvee". I managed to go out. As always, I was happy to have done so. My reward for today was seeing the moon over Mt. Fuji. Too bad my iPhone camera couldn't capture the moon.

Caravaggio

Just back from my weekend run. When I started, it was cloudy. But it was not cold at all. No wind (always good I think). Watery sun - I love watery sun.

post-15288-139628788197_thumb.jpg

When I finished, the sun came out and it was a lot warmer. But sunshine lasted only about half an hour. The clouds have taken over again.

To the weekend running warriors, I hope your runs are as good as mine was today.

rfrankr

3.1 miles on treadmill, 5.6 MPH the whole way. Heart rate was in 150s but made it to 161 by the end. Felt good but I kept the miles and timer covered up. Is that ok or pushing too much? Physically I think I could've gone another mile or so. Mentally tho????

graham44
3.1 miles on treadmill, 5.6 MPH the whole way. Heart rate was in 150s but made it to 161 by the end. Felt good but I kept the miles and timer covered up. Is that ok or pushing too much? Physically I think I could've gone another mile or so. Mentally tho????

Hard to say if your pushing too hard...my advice is "listen to your body". If you feel like you could have gone another mile try going a little faster at some point...goose it up .25-.5mph for a 1/4 or 1/2 mile. That always takes care of my urge to go further lol.

Heart rate is sooo different for everyone...150-160 is almost sprinting for me. I cant maintain that for for very long at all. if you can 5.6mph for a full 3.1 id kick it up to 5.8 for the last 1/4 mile and see how you feel. If it doest feel like its going to kill you kick it up to 6 the following time. if you feel comfortable with the little sprint at the end...mix it up. Do the 1/4 mile sprint in themiddle of your run and then go back to your normal pace to finish the run.

sometimes ill get bored and ill run along at x/mph for 30min and then every min ill kick it up .1 mph till i get to x + .5, and then ill kick it back down .1 every minute till i get back to where i started...before you know it 10 mins has passed, and you pushed yourself a little but harder than you would if you'd stayed at x/mph

Caravaggio

Did a really early morning run today as I had a morning meeting. I hate running too early in the winter because it's usually so cold. But Mother Nature was kind to me today and kept the breeze back. And the sun rise was lovely.

I recorded a new route this morning, so I was really slow to establish a slow official time for the route. That way, when I do the route again, I'll be recording a faster pace. Is that consider cheating or is it motivation?

Caravaggio

This morning, I ran the same new route which I did yesterday. This time I thought I ran faster than yesterday but my tracker kept saying I'm slower.

The one thing I did differently was I ran against the wind. Yesterday, there was no wind. This morning, there was fairly strong wind blowing, and following the route I had to run the first half with the wind behind me (pushing me) but I ran the second half against the wind (which just decided to blow a little stronger). My face and hands were so cold!

graham44

Yeah...wind can be horrific. Both as far as freezing you to near to death and slowing you down to a crawl...its probably good for your training though.

Im off to florida for a week starting tomorrow. Ill be doing all outdoor, long slow runs for the 1st time since the end of december. Will be interested to see if my treadmill/interval training has had any positive effect.

Caravaggio

I ran 7 Km this morning. It was pleasant enough at the start, but it got windy towards the end, and not just windy but side winds about 3 Km from home. Unfortunately, my route at that point was a straight line to home. Thus, I couldn't take a left or right turn to avoid the wind, well I could but I'd never get home. This is one of the advantages of running outdoors, if you get tired before you get home or your car, you can't just stop - at some point you have to move. :)

Although the wind tried its best to make me cold, two things worked in my favor. One, it was warmer this morning than yesterday morning. Two, I wore a light Icebreaker Merino long-sleeved shirt underneath a jacket. I was so impressed with this shirt when I bought it last year that I now have 2. I use one for running and the other for skiing. It's not cheap but it is really light and keeps the cold out.

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. by John Bingham (also known as the Penguin) from No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running.

Caravaggio
Yeah...wind can be horrific. Both as far as freezing you to near to death and slowing you down to a crawl...its probably good for your training though.

Im off to florida for a week starting tomorrow. Ill be doing all outdoor, long slow runs for the 1st time since the end of december. Will be interested to see if my treadmill/interval training has had any positive effect.

Be careful. I heard on the radio that Florida and other southern states in the US are or will be experiencing a rare snow storm.

rfrankr

Ok I'm doing a 5k tomorrow night! Although I think I slept wrong or pulled something in my back/shoulder. I hope it wont be a problem

rfrankr

Ok did my 5k! Although Runkeeper said it was 2.75 mi. Time was 25mins and 9.15/mi. I don't know why but that seems easier than running on treadmill. Maybe because I'm actually going somewhere. It was great, had fun.

Caravaggio

rfrankr, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your 5K run. Don't worry so much about being exact - and running apps are notorious for not being that accurate.

I personally find it easier to run outside than on the treadmill, but that's me. I get knee aches when I get on a treadmill! Part of running outside is the scenery and, yes, not running in place :).

Caravaggio

After a warm spell these few days, it was really chilly and wet this morning. I stayed indoors and switched the scheduled run and the scheduled Wednesday exercise. Hopefully the sun will be out tomorrow!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.