Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

rfrankr

Oh my goodness. .I've totally ignored my fast twitch fibers. Until 2 days ago. I pitched a busy game of softball. My legs and right side are killing me. I didn't know it's been that long since I played. I suppose my exercise isn't very rounded.

Caravaggio

Oh my goodness. .I've totally ignored my fast twitch fibers. Until 2 days ago. I pitched a busy game of softball. My legs and right side are killing me. I didn't know it's been that long since I played. I suppose my exercise isn't very rounded.

Cross train. :)

I tripped while running this morning. I got into a zone and was probably daydreaming. Next thing I know my foot hit something and I was falling. In the nanoseconds on my way down, I can see the ground coming up but can't think of anyway to buffer the fall. I did try to turn my body so that the entire front part of my body doesn't slam unto the ground. I have scratches on my left hand, left elbow, left knee and left thigh - they're smarting as well. No bruises yet but I anticipate that they'll come out in a few hours.

Lesson - Pay attention to your surrounding even if you are daydreaming.

graham44

i've been making some nice progress with my running. I'm trying to train a little smarter this time around. Mixing in more speed work and high intensity stuff. I've knocked about 20sec/mile off past couple months...which isnt that big a deal as my training was kind of in the toilet and I was running pretty slow the past year.

BUT...progress is progress! 

Caravaggio

This week is Week 7 of my marathon training. I have my first long run this weekend. Next week, I'll take a rest from running while I'm cross-training - skiing or learning how to snow board.

Last weekend, I chanced upon a flyer about a spring running event called Paracup. It consists of a half-marathon, 10 K, 3 K and races for kids and kids-parents teams to be held near where I live. The event is a fund-raising event for children around the world - the proceeds will be distributed through NPOs and NGOs.

The race date is 3 weeks after my marathon. I'm sure I can at least do the 10 K (or even the half marathon) but I'm also considering volunteering instead of running. Volunteers are asked to make a donation as well, and runners may waive their event T-shirt and donate the T-shirt cost.

graham44

rocking the workouts! been making some good, slow, steady progress on the speed front...just need to keep it slow and steady and not get hurt!

Caravaggio

I ran 16 K yesterday. Beautiful weather. Last run of the year. Today, hubby and I fly to Hokkaido to ski (I'll also try snow boarding). Snowboarder and running friends will be joining us. I'm excited to try boarding.

Happy New Year runners. See you all next year! Cheers.

graham44

doing a local 5mile "resolution run" tomorrow...will be the 1st time of the treadmill and on a real run in a month! just doing it for something to do : )

caravaggio...have fun on the slopes and good luck snowboarding. always good to take on new challenges :)

Bar&In

Hi All,

I notice you all do some long runs, do you bring something to eat with you and when do you usually eat it?

I started with a mile and I'm up to 3 miles now but scared to push it. It seems to work for now starting around 150 then after my run being at 80. I don't really want to bump up much higher but was wondering if I should bring a snack and at the 3 mile mark or something eat it so I could run another 2 miles or so? and keep building on it.

graham44

yeah I always bring something...even if its just for energy and not for BG levels. Theres a bunch of store bought oprions and there are also a lot of online recipes for home made "protein bars"...they're relly more like cookies but the real benefit is there are prob less preservatives and stuff than the store bought ones

did a small local 5mi run to start the new year this morning. was a nice little work out though...good way to start the year :)

rfrankr

For me I've found that 3 miles isn't enough time to bring food. I just start out in the 130s and go. If I were going 6 or more then that's enough time to eat a cookie (10g carbs) halfway through and have it get used up before the end so I don't crash before I'm done or spike after the run. But aren't you on insulin? I'm not so I think we're two different animals.

Bar&In

Thanks All,

Yes I'm on insulin but I picked up a tip from another thread on here to cut it out 3 hours prior to any exercise and that has seemed to help a lot. Think it m. ay have actually been Graham that recommended doing so but regardless has helped out with big drops.

I'm usually dropping around 70-80 points so starting out at 150 takes me to still a safe range in 70-80s. Just curious though if I was to go an extra mile or 2 without any thing if I would drop even more, I'm assuming I would. Therefore maybe eat a bar at 3m point and continue on for another 2 miles then test after to see where it put me at.

Learning its a lot of trial and error.

rfrankr

Therefore maybe eat a bar at 3m point and continue on for another 2 miles then test after to see where it put me at.

You might eat a little earlier than mile 3 because it takes some time to process. Maybe mile 2

graham44

Thanks All,

Yes I'm on insulin but I picked up a tip from another thread on here to cut it out 3 hours prior to any exercise and that has seemed to help a lot. Think it m. ay have actually been Graham that recommended doing so but regardless has helped out with big drops.

I'm usually dropping around 70-80 points so starting out at 150 takes me to still a safe range in 70-80s. Just curious though if I was to go an extra mile or 2 without any thing if I would drop even more, I'm assuming I would. Therefore maybe eat a bar at 3m point and continue on for another 2 miles then test after to see where it put me at.

Yeah its all trial and error but heres something to remember. Insulin is what enables glucose to leave your blood and enter cells to be burned as fuel...if you dont have any (or much) active insulin in your blood then not much glucose will leave your blood so drops tend to be slow.

rfrankr

Yeah its all trial and error but heres something to remember. Insulin is what enables glucose to leave your blood and enter cells to be burned as fuel...if you dont have any (or much) active insulin in your blood then not much glucose will leave your blood so drops tend to be slow.

Huh...so if your active insulin is low and not much glucose is entering your cells do you end up with a lack of energy??

graham44

Huh...so if your active insulin is low and not much glucose is entering your cells do you end up with a lack of energy??

Sometimes you can, but it gets complicated.

I try to eat low carb and stay in ketosis where I burn fat for fuel. I train mostly with heart rate, and try to keep my HR in an aerobic/fat burning zone vs anaerobic carb  burning zone. There is a theory that when you carb load before a race that the max amount of calories you can store as glycogen is about 2,000 and that even a super lean marathon runner with single digit body fat still has over 100,000 calories of fat to use as fuel. The problem with fat is its a slooow steady burn and doesnt give you instant energy...where popping a GU gives you 225 calories in a matter of minutes.

Where it gets complicated is, "healthy" bodies do a great job on maintaining BG. Cells in your pancreas monitor our BG levels and react constantly.  If they sense BG is high it makes insulin to get glucose out of our blood and into the cells...when it senses that BG is too low it stops making insulin and secretes glucagon which tells your body to release some stored glycogen to keep your BG in a safe range ( the famous "liver dump" we hear about during or after hard exercise). The problem for people that inject insulin is when our BG's drop the liver/pancreas  still detects insulin in our blood so it says " since theres a lot of insulin in the blood it means the BG is high, therefore do not dump glycogen"...so BG just keeps dropping. Basically the artificial insulin levels in our blood keeps the body from releasing its stored glycogen if/when our BG's level drop.

This is just a generic/laymens explanation of what happens...its waaaay more complicated than this and involves many different hormones and many more procedures than I understand.

I think our muscles will still absorb/burn some glucose during exercise even without insulin...just not real efficient. I ran out of insulin on a camping trip (wife was coming the next day so I just waited) I didnt eat a single carb and my BG just kept going up. It was 250 so went for a 90 min bike ride. It came down to about 120 when done with the bike, but and hour or 2 later it was 250 again...went for a 60min run and it came down to 120ish again...but went right back up over next few hours...So my body was burning some of the glucose in my blood even without insulin.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.