Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

Caravaggio

Looks can be deceiving. This morning the sun was out and the sky was a beautiful shade of blue. But it was so cold and the wind was relentless. It was colder than yesterday morning.

However chilly and windy it was, it felt good to put in about 5 km.

post-15288-139628788222_thumb.jpg

rfrankr

I went about 1.75 today. Breathing was tough even though my pace was slower than the day before. I think I'll take a day off to rest.

graham44

congrats on the 5k rfrank...glad you enjoyed it and glad you signed up for another!

I just got back from florida. Was nice to run in the sun...but I really struggled. 1st day out it was 80-85 and my body wasnt used to the heat. I only ran 7.25+/- ...second day It was 85+ I did a little over 10mi but I reaaaally struggled. I had a really hard time keeping my heart rate below 150...it would get in the 160+ range Id slow to a shuffle so it would come down a bit but as soon as I picked up the pace it would hit the 160's within 1/4-1/2 mile...body just want used to it. It happens every spring when I try to get out and run on that "1st really nice day". Soooo I cut my runs back to 4-5miles and enjoyed myself :)

came home to 10+" of new snow, 0 deg temps...just wonderful :)

Caravaggio

No running today. It's been snowing in Tokyo since late last night and snow was horizontal when I looked out the window! I'm staying in. 😴

post-15288-139628788232_thumb.jpg

Caravaggio

Got in a short run (5 km) this afternoon. The sun was out and it was much much warmer than yesterday. Still a lot of snow around but I was encouraged to run by the clear surface of my regular running path. But after 2 kilometers, it was mostly slushy snow and puddles. I had to slow down to walking in a few places. I wore 3 layers of shirts and 2 layers of running pants so I was warm; however, my shoes got so wet from the puddles and froze my feet. I could hardly feel anything in my feet. That was generally good, though, as it just made me run faster on my way back (on the clear, dry surfaces).

As I was supposed to do a long run today and didn't, I'm hoping to run the difference tomorrow morning.

rfrankr

Ran 40-45 mins today. Didn't track miles or pace, just tried to do what felt good. Although I did end up walking/sprinting the last 3 or 4 tenths of a mile. Legs feel good now.

Caravaggio

So far, just one short run this week (Tuesday). :(:mad:

I had to cancel this morning's run. I did an almost all-nighter at the office and did not have the energy this morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can sleep early tonight and do a long run tomorrow morning. No running this weekend as it's ski weekend (I'm praying that work does not rear it's ugly head and snag me to the office).

Caravaggio

This week is Week 1 of my half-marathon training (race day: May 11).

This morning was for a short 5K run. Sun was out but so was the mighty wind. It was like running through a giant wall of gummy bear. I just kept telling myself that the resistance to the wind was helping me by making me exert more effort.

Caravaggio

Yesterday was running rest day and yoga day.

This morning I ran 5K, at a slightly fast time than last Tuesday's. It helped that the wind was not so chilly or strong. BG was lower after the run (always a good thing).

rfrankr

Just got done doing 5.4k in about 40 mins. Not the greatest plus I ended up walking/sprinting the last 1/3 of it. I guess that's what happens when you run once a week at best.

rfrankr

Did 2.28 miles in 25 mins. The last third was walk/sprint. Then I did a bit of work for the other shop and walk/sprinted back .47mi in 5 mins. I hope I go non-stop in the 5k next weekend.

Snowboardjess

What do y'all do to prep for your runs? I drink juice and turn off my pump 30 prior. However most of the time i still hit a low before i finish a mile.

Just curious what others are doing?

Thanks

rfrankr

Tested 104 when I woke up. Ate half a cup of Fiber One cereal. Ran 2.75 miles. Then did sprint/walk for another 1.5 miles. Total of 45-50 mins. Got back and tested 106!

Caravaggio
What do y'all do to prep for your runs? I drink juice and turn off my pump 30 prior. However most of the time i still hit a low before i finish a mile.

Thanks

I don't inject insulin so my routine will be different from yours. If I do a short run (less than 1 hour), I don't eat anything before running. If intermediate (1-1.5 hours), I have yogurt (about 70 ml) before hand. Longer than 1.5 hours, I eat regularly 2 hours before, then maybe have yogurt (depending on how much longer I will run). I also carry cut banana and electrolytes with me for intermediate and long runs.

Do you now snowboard, hence the name? Do you have the same issue of going low when snowboarding?

Caravaggio

Forgot to report my 8 Km run last Sunday. The first half was run at sunset, and the last half after sunset. It wasn't that cold - spring is around the corner!

It was a good run except for the fact that I had "the runs" in the middle of the run. Luckily there are toilets along my running path. Whew! What brought it on. I guess the fatty food I ate for late lunch. It wasn't deep fried or greasy, just had a lot of fat. I never learn (yes it has happened several times before, and not just while I was out on a run)! :(

rfrankr
So, how many carbs was in the fiber one? And are you on a pump? And if so did you turn it off?

Looks like 25g carbs plus milk. 14g fiber. I'm just on metformin. I almost always try to eat some carbs before strenuous excercise in an effort to keep from bottoming out. I'm t-2 so we're 2 different animals.

graham44

Hey all...been busy...life has been kicking my butt this year lol. Been hitting the gym and putting the time in but has been a struggle...glad to see you guys are keeping on top of it :)

graham44

Thanks

Hey Jess, I use a pump and run a lot. I usually turn mine off about an hour before if I can...I eat really low carb (30g or so day - usually less) and it seems to work. If i eat carbs and bolus in the morning i crash...period lol

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to an article I read in the NY Times today (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/how-to-get-fit-in-a-few-minutes-a-week/?comments#permid=11236358:11238962) I decided to try a 30minute session and make them daily as opposed to every-other-day (Or, as the Rev. Mr. Dodson defined EOD: "Yesterday and tomorrow but never today.") The first session went well and I wasn't exhausted at the end. Of course, the acid test will be doing it daily. However I have the feeling that daily will work just fine with Sunday's as a designated rest day. I also find that the half hour session should allow me to squeeze in a TdG session even on some busy days when I have had to skip the hour session.

Spring still seems a long way off and the snow persists as do the potholes, narrow roads, cold temperatures and all the other stuff that keeps me indoors.

Caravaggio

Hi Ronin,

Thanks for the article. I'll read this later.

I've trained for my last 3 marathons by running hard only 3x a week, then doing hard cross-training (on the stationary bike, for example) or light running in between training days. Given my work load, this works much better for me in comparison to the almost 6x a day running program that most recommend.

But everyone is different, and it's great to be able to choose and pick which program will work for one - sometimes, it works to alternate programs. And I'm always open to trying new possibilities.

Let us know how you progress with this program.

rfrankr

Did my 5k race. Good time! Placed 6th in my group. 9 mins 40sec/mi. And no walking. Top 3 got medals. Looks like I have to step up to 7mins per mile if I want medals. Dang that's fast. That's a big jump.... for me at least. 1st place in my group was 6per

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.