Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

graham44
Did my 5k race. Good time! Placed 6th in my group. 9 mins 40sec/mi. And no walking. Top 3 got medals. Looks like I have to step up to 7mins per mile if I want medals. Dang that's fast. That's a big jump.... for me at least. 1st place in my group was 6per

Thats awesome man! Here's somthing to remember (and you probably already know it lol) those guys our age than run 6-7min miles have been running since they were 20! They were probably running 5min miles back then...and you and I are never going to catch them unless we outlive them lol.

But heres where it gets fun for you...realistic goals...knocking 10 sec/mi off by a certain date. Just be slow and safe when you do it...trying to gain speed too fast is a certain road to injury! Enjoy yourself...you did great...you did something only a small percentage of people can say they have done! Now have some fun trying to get a little faster as you get older.

rfrankr

Thanks Graham, 50-54 was the fastest group of the 40+ers. The guy who won our group was 6th overall. So I guess I can just relax and have fun. I would've placed 2nd in 40-45. Dam kids!

Caravaggio
Did my 5k race. Good time! Placed 6th in my group. 9 mins 40sec/mi. And no walking. Top 3 got medals. Looks like I have to step up to 7mins per mile if I want medals. Dang that's fast. That's a big jump.... for me at least. 1st place in my group was 6per

Congratulations! You are actually faster than me, so don't feel bad. :) Just have fun. One day that medal will land on your lap.

Caravaggio

No running last weekend as I was on the ski slope. I'd consider skiing cross-training. But I must picked up some bug as I've been having head and joint aches since yesterday. I took medicine this morning, which I hate doing (normally, I just let the bug die naturally), but I didn't want to miss the Rolling Stones concert that I'm going to tonight :thrasher:. Hopefully I'll be better in a couple of days to get back to running.

rfrankr

Whew, just went 2.32 miles @ 10:32/mi average. I walked/sprinted. It was sprinting to me. High 6s to low 7s for a block-block and a half at a time. But after seeing the times in the 5k I ran, to some that would just be jogging. I like that better than steady 10-11 min miles. I feel it more too.

graham44

yeah yesterday I did 30 min at a comfortable jog. jumped off and lifted for about 45 min and then did 10 sets of sprints 1min at 10.5mph and then walk for a minute...now if i could string 6 of them together id be on to something :)

rfrankr

Oh BTW did I mention that in that race I did I got whooped by an 8 yr old boy and a 10 yr old girl. They were 1.5-2 mins/mile(or more) faster that me. I wish I saw them run. Those little 8 yr old legs must have been zipping along the whole race.

graham44
Oh BTW did I mention that in that race I did I got whooped by an 8 yr old boy and a 10 yr old girl. They were 1.5-2 mins/mile(or more) faster that me. I wish I saw them run. Those little 8 yr old legs must have been zipping along the whole race.

Lol...ive never seen kids thatyoung but in 1 triathlon i was jogging along...heard the pitter patter of fast feet coming up on me. Kind of laughed to myself as I thought "those sound like young feet" and this 13-16 yr old girl went flying by with her little pony tail flapping in the wind lol.

Caravaggio

I'm feeling under the weather this week, so I decided to not run at all. Sigh! I have to start all over again. This is why I always have a longer (longer than what typical internet training programs recommend) training program so I have allowances for unexpected developments.

rfrankr

I'm bummed, I pulled or strain my hamstring last night at the softball game. Luckily I have 2 weeks off before we play again. I don't think it's too bad. Didn't stretch much before the game. I hope this doesn't take too long to rehab. I had a great run/hike planned for this morning too. So much for that.

gdawginhtown

Newbie to these forums and diabetes. Since the DX, I have started to jog. In 3 weeks, I've gone from 1 mile to 3 miles a day. I've also now learn to build in rest days. I was too focused on beating diabetes and losing weight. Now it is for my health and enjoyment.

Here's my running goals for this year:

1. 10k by the beginning of summer.

2. Sprint triathlon by the end of summer.

3. 1/2 marathon by year end.

4. Technically next year, spring of 2015, 1/2 triathlon.

gdawginhtown

4 miles yesterday night @ 42 minutes. I realized that my hands were too high and found a rhythm/stride or whatever it is called and could have ran another 2 miles but didn't want to over do it. I will be happy with an hour 10k time. Having too little boys, maybe they aren't that little anymore (9 & 11 yrs old), my only option is running around 9pm. Would it be more beneficial to run in the morning, early evening after work or late evening (current)? I'm the cook in the house so it is hard to cook right after work and run. I tried running in the morning once but it left me tired until lunch time.

rfrankr

Did a 5.2ish mile run/walk in a little over an hour. Ok considering I've been giving the hamstring a rest for over a week. Hammie felt ok as long as I didn't try to run hard. Hopefully I'll get in another easy run in a day or 2. A shorter run

graham44
Newbie to these forums and diabetes. Since the DX, I have started to jog. In 3 weeks, I've gone from 1 mile to 3 miles a day. I've also now learn to build in rest days. I was too focused on beating diabetes and losing weight. Now it is for my health and enjoyment.

Here's my running goals for this year:

1. 10k by the beginning of summer.

2. Sprint triathlon by the end of summer.

3. 1/2 marathon by year end.

4. Technically next year, spring of 2015, 1/2 triathlon.

thats awesome just dont go too hard/ too far too fast. not sure what your background is but its probably the leading cause of injury...

I think morning is best time to train, but with a busy life you gotta do it when you can! If youve never done a triathlon check out a web site called beginnertriathlete.com good info and some tool like a workout log etc

Caravaggio

Hi guys,

Did anyone miss me? :D I've been off running for most of March due to a very bad cold and resulting lingering malaise afterwards. I've only been back running latter part of last week. At least I can run under the cherry trees which are in full bloom in Tokyo at this very moment.

My dilemma is whether I have enough mileage base to continue my half marathon training (race day is May 11). One option is to run most of the way, then walk the rest. I hate doing this but I don't want to injure myself, and I don't want to miss the opportunity to visit a new place and support the local community. I suppose I can go, do some sightseeing and not run :( . I am considering volunteering.

ODAR

Ok Hi Guys I did the 12KM walk/runner last year called city to surf and plan to train again this year in run leg but of course i will run/speed walk like i did last year. My times last year was 1hour and 44minutes with 1 toilet break and two drink stops.. I had my youngest with me who needed me to slow down so she wasn't too far behind. This year I hope to blitz it but I haven't started training for it. :(

graham44
Hi guys,

Did anyone miss me? :D I've been off running for most of March due to a very bad cold and resulting lingering malaise afterwards. I've only been back running latter part of last week. At least I can run under the cherry trees which are in full bloom in Tokyo at this very moment.

My dilemma is whether I have enough mileage base to continue my half marathon training (race day is May 11). One option is to run most of the way, then walk the rest. I hate doing this but I don't want to injure myself, and I don't want to miss the opportunity to visit a new place and support the local community. I suppose I can go, do some sightseeing and not run :( . I am considering volunteering.

I say do it man! I say continue on with your training and see where you sit in a month. Youve been running long enough to know your body and whether you're going to hard or not. Im sure youve read all the theories ion running 9min/walking 1 min or 8/2 etc...you've done enough of these that 13 miles will be a walk in the park for you lol. But If you've already signed up and paid Id go and enjoy it!

graham44
Ok Hi Guys I did the 12KM walk/runner last year called city to surf and plan to train again this year in run leg but of course i will run/speed walk like i did last year. My times last year was 1hour and 44minutes with 1 toilet break and two drink stops.. I had my youngest with me who needed me to slow down so she wasn't too far behind. This year I hope to blitz it but I haven't started training for it. :(

ODAR, when is the race? How long do you have to train?

ODAR

ODAR, when is the race? How long do you have to train?

Hello graham44

The race is on 31st August so I have  a few months to train :D    I went again last night and did 30 minutes of HIT... I prefer to train like that has the course has a few  hill bits so I gun those steep hills..my treadmill  mis always on an incline from anywhere from 3 - 6.  

What I need to try and learn is run continuously  at a slower pace but I haven't got the knack and always seem to run out of breath!  I don't know if this is due to being unfit or because of medication that  I'm taking for hypothyroid...

I run at a speed of 10 km  to 11km on the treadmil and then bring it down to a fast walk of 7.. get my breath back then start to run again.  I do this over a period of an hour and my average distance is about 7kms... that is so far this year as I only started training again .

Any tips would be welcomed :D

Caravaggio

I've decided to just continue training, as Graham suggested, and see what happens. I can go slow or just walk the last portion, which should give me time to take photos (Note to self- stay at the side to avoid being a road obstacle). The race has no time limit for the half-marathon (I suppose it's the same as the marathon) so I'm not worried about not finishing.

ODAR, have you tried running with a watch to set the pace or not cranking up the speed on the treadmill? Have you tried listening to music with a beat that matches the speed you want? I don't always run very hard or very fast, even while training for any race, as it wears me out! I run really fast only when I'm doing speed runs.

ODAR

Caravaggio - Yes I do have a garmin forerunner but i use it mainly to track heart rate etc.  I;ve never run before and want to do it so badly but I think I'm doing wrong like i have to go flat out or something.. haha but I do sprint like for  1 minute then bring my heart rate down - I did manage to get my HR to 181 and now I can go to 171- 178 quite quickly then bring it back down to 130's real quick.. i just need to pace my self which is the hardest thing for me to do.

I find it easier if I'm on a running track or road as opposed to the treadmill.  How long is your speed runs for?

graham44

Caravaggio - Yes I do have a garmin forerunner but i use it mainly to track heart rate etc.  I;ve never run before and want to do it so badly but I think I'm doing wrong like i have to go flat out or something.. haha but I do sprint like for  1 minute then bring my heart rate down - I did manage to get my HR to 181 and now I can go to 171- 178 quite quickly then bring it back down to 130's real quick.. i just need to pace my self which is the hardest thing for me to do.

I find it easier if I'm on a running track or road as opposed to the treadmill.  How long is your speed runs for?

I've only got a quick minute before i have to go for a run myself lol...you said you have a heart rate monitor. The best way I found to train for distance is to figure out your zone 2 heart rate and KEEP IT THERE...even if its brutally slow. Find a heart rate range and keep it in that range, even if you have to slow down further or even walk for a while. I've heard it referred to as having a book of matches. Every time you go over your heart rate range you burn a match, sooner or later you will run out of matches and you're out of energy. Get your breathing into a slow rhythm with your footfalls and just trot along at a sloow jog. It will take a few weeks to get comfortable but it will come. Then like Caravaggio and you both said...mix in some speed run days, HIT days...but id spend the bulk of your time working on zone 2 training IF you really want to jog the whole thing.

ok..suns shining time to get out and enjoy the morning :)

(just a quick reference point...my zone 2 range is prob in the mid 130's- low 140's...higher than that and i burn out quick but everyone is different)

Caravaggio

I haven't used a heart rate monitor in a few years. I agree that it is useful for running at a slower pace. I used a heart rate monitor to teach my body to slow down (I've nearly forgotten about that) when I tried Phil Maffetone's training program. When I'm not training, I still run slowly.

My speed runs usually last about 30-40 minutes. I do them often when I am training for a race. If I'm not training, I do them maybe 1x a month or 1x every 6 weeks - when I remember. I usually have 1-2 km of warm-up and 1 km cool-down.

Speaking of heart monitors - I'm wondering if it's time for me to go back to using HR as part of my training. I'm shopping for a new running watch with GPS. My last watch was a Polar (no GPS in the watch, just a foot pod). I didn't like having to send it back to the makers to change batteries, and then in the end the wrist band broke. I then switched to a cheap Nike running watch, which eventually gave out on me, too. I've been using running apps on iPhone but (1) I haven't found one that is reliable, (2) many do not allow downloads of info (or the download is too complicated to complete, or you have to pay), and (3) the drain on my battery is phenomenal.

Any thoughts on HR and all thoughts on a good but not overpriced GPS watch (with HR monitoring capability) are welcome.

graham44

I haven't used a heart rate monitor in a few years. I agree that it is useful for running at a slower pace. I used a heart rate monitor to teach my body to slow down (I've nearly forgotten about that) when I tried Phil Maffetone's training program. When I'm not training, I still run slowly.

My speed runs usually last about 30-40 minutes. I do them often when I am training for a race. If I'm not training, I do them maybe 1x a month or 1x every 6 weeks - when I remember. I usually have 1-2 km of warm-up and 1 km cool-down.

Speaking of heart monitors - I'm wondering if it's time for me to go back to using HR as part of my training. I'm shopping for a new running watch with GPS. My last watch was a Polar (no GPS in the watch, just a foot pod). I didn't like having to send it back to the makers to change batteries, and then in the end the wrist band broke. I then switched to a cheap Nike running watch, which eventually gave out on me, too. I've been using running apps on iPhone but (1) I haven't found one that is reliable, (2) many do not allow downloads of info (or the download is too complicated to complete, or you have to pay), and (3) the drain on my battery is phenomenal.

Any thoughts on HR and all thoughts on a good but not overpriced GPS watch (with HR monitoring capability) are welcome.

I agree on heart rate training being good at slowing you down. Pacing is really all i use it for both running and cycling. I bought a timex gps/heart rate I think it was about $100 3yrs ago...has a bunch of features I dont use. I use google earths "map my run" and dont really even need the gps. I liked that it had a rechargeable battery...there are probably better buys but i dont have anything bad to say about it. I like the real simple ones though.

Ok...time to ride in my basement :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.