Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

rfrankr

So I understand the warm up part of the run but what's the purpose of the cool down part of the run?

I need to figure out how to slow down too. That's harder than I thought it would be.

Caravaggio

I have a cool down, either slow running or walking, to prevent me from being light headed which I read is from my heart rate and blood pressure falling quickly. When I do long runs, I usually naturally cool down at the last kilometer, but when I do speed intervals my cool down is on top of the speed runs.

I finished a 30-minute run this morning in the rain (it's been raining the whole day here in Tokyo) while admiring the cherry blossoms. The trees along my running path are still full of flowers though two (which bloomed earlier) have started to sprout green leaves and shed the flowers. By next week, I'm sure most of the flowers will be on the ground.

I still have not decided about the running watch. I'm leaning more towards not getting a heart rate monitor or a watch with that option because of the price, and because I don't think I need an HR monitor (I've been running for years without using one). Decisions, decisions.

Caravaggio

Ran 8 Km this morning. 

Bad news - My foot caught a rock embedded in the ground and I tumbled. Abrasions on the palms of my hands, my right knee and left elbow. They hurt like heck when exposed to water and when my husband and I disinfected the wounds.

Good news - I was excused from washing the dishes (house rule: 1 cooks, the other washes the dishes). 

Caravaggio

I did a 30-minute run this morning. Weather is getting warm enough to combat the chill factor from the wind.

I'll be off to New Zealand this evening. I'm eager to run on new roads and see new towns on foot. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not that much colder than Tokyo.

jsimms435

My plan is to run in a 10k tomorrow (April 19) and then again in July.  I also want to run a half marathon in October.  I use to run all the time when I was in my 20's.  I was in numerous races back then.  My best time in the 10k is around 48 minutes.  I did a 21.40 in a 5k, but that was about 20 years ago.  Now, I am just trying to break an hour on the 10k

Caravaggio

I just came back from a trip to New Zealand. I was able to manage a few runs. Man, the hilly roads in Dunedin and Auckland (at least the areas where I stayed) nearly killed my legs. :)

In Dunedin, on a rainy Saturday, I found myself in the Botanic Gardens and bumped into the Dunedin Park Run runners for their Saturday 5 Km run. I tagged along, not knowing that most of the 5 km run would be 2 rounds of hilly terrain. I thought I would die as my lungs were screaming for air and my legs were screaming for flatter ground. But it was fun and the volunteers and the few runners I met were great!

Now, 3 more weeks before my half-marathon.

graham44

I just came back from a trip to New Zealand. I was able to manage a few runs. Man, the hilly roads in Dunedin and Auckland (at least the areas where I stayed) nearly killed my legs. :)

In Dunedin, on a rainy Saturday, I found myself in the Botanic Gardens and bumped into the Dunedin Park Run runners for their Saturday 5 Km run. I tagged along, not knowing that most of the 5 km run would be 2 rounds of hilly terrain. I thought I would die as my lungs were screaming for air and my legs were screaming for flatter ground. But it was fun and the volunteers and the few runners I met were great!

Now, 3 more weeks before my half-marathon.

thats awesome caravaggio, you run in more interesting places than anyone I know!

hope everyone's training is going well...im struggling along. having some foot issues. Trying to do shorter more intense workouts to lessen the miles. But the whole ball of my foot throbs and swells up to the point that my toes dont touch the floor...dont think theres anything they can do short of surgery...only been to one doctor. the time lost due to dr's appts is too annoying to get a 2nd opinion :)

Caravaggio

Graham, what's wrong with your foot? Should you even be running? Take care and I hope you find a better doctor. Please do get a second opinion.

rfrankr

Maybe you need to give the running a rest and swap it for the gym or a bike.

I've been trying to up my weekly mileage and not worry so much about walk breaks. I figure as long as my legs are strong I'll be able to run the whole race when the time comes. I've been trying to slow down a bit too. Last week I put in 16 miles.

Caravaggio

Oh and Caravaggio...I think down hills are the worst.

I agree! I have no problem going uphill, well, generally (unless the incline is too steep and I've not done it before), but downhill is almost without exception terrible. The only time I love downhill is when I'm skiing. :)

16 miles! That's great.

Caravaggio

I put in less than an hour run yesterday morning (silly of me to forget to post it here).

With less than 3 weeks before my half marathon, I'm rethinking my training and planning my strategy for the race itself. Not doing the race is not an option for me. Luckily, I do not have to beat a time limit (well, as long as I do not go over the marathon time limit).

How are fellow DF runners doing?

jsimms435

rfrankr

I'm a slow runner so my half-marathon is typically around 2.5 hours. For half-marathons, I run non-stop. But many people I know use a run-walk strategy - many of them I know finish their races faster than others who run non-stop. It doesn't matter how you get to the end (except cheating) as long as you start and finish (or know when to stop).

You can do a 10-K, you just need to train for it.

I'm planning to do a mudrun either this year or next year. It looks like a lot of fun.

I did a 10k last Saturday and walked some, but ran most of it.  I was faster than the one I did a year and a half ago where I ran the whole thing.  I beat my old time by 3 minutes

gdawginhtown

Howdy, haven't posted in a month. Still on schedule to hit the first goal of a 10k by summer time. I'm averaging 15-20 miles a week. Recently I got a hand me down Garmin Forerunner 410 so I've been thinker ing with it. I need to purchase a heart monitor. I'm trying to get my 9 min/mile time down to 8.5 then all will be right.

I'm cycling around 75 miles per week and running out of time between fitness and family. Looks like morning jogs will need to creep into the picture. In addition, I'm swimming twice a week for 15 minutes per session, enough to get in 250 meters. BG is still hovering in the 80-90's so I'm happy there. Since Jan-01, I've lost 23 pounds, down to 165 pounds. 150 sit-ups and 50+ push-ups a night also.

I hate to say it but I have the fitness bug. Not as exciting as Carravaggio in NZL but I did run from the hotel to Burj Khafli in Dubai. My next exciting run will be on the beaches of Gold Coast/Brisbane, Australia next month.

Happy running all!

Caravaggio

Howdy, haven't posted in a month. Still on schedule to hit the first goal of a 10k by summer time. I'm averaging 15-20 miles a week. Recently I got a hand me down Garmin Forerunner 410 so I've been thinker ing with it. I need to purchase a heart monitor. I'm trying to get my 9 min/mile time down to 8.5 then all will be right.

I'm cycling around 75 miles per week and running out of time between fitness and family. Looks like morning jogs will need to creep into the picture. In addition, I'm swimming twice a week for 15 minutes per session, enough to get in 250 meters. BG is still hovering in the 80-90's so I'm happy there. Since Jan-01, I've lost 23 pounds, down to 165 pounds. 150 sit-ups and 50+ push-ups a night also.

I hate to say it but I have the fitness bug. Not as exciting as Carravaggio in NZL but I did run from the hotel to Burj Khafli in Dubai. My next exciting run will be on the beaches of Gold Coast/Brisbane, Australia next month.

Happy running all!

Are you training for a triathlon? That can be a future goal. Congratulations on your weight loss and BG control. How was the run in Dubai? When I hear of the Middle East I think of really hot between sunrise and sunset, and really cold when the sun's gone.

The "exciting" runs I had in NZ all came about from me getting lost. I always get lost when I run.  But that's also when I run into pleasant surprises.

I had a pleasant run this morning. I just love beautiful spring days, and today is one of them.

gdawginhtown

It was in March so high in the high 70's/low 80's, nighttime around 60. Not much to the runs, nice buildings, sand and more sand.

A 1/2 tri is on the radar for next spring, a sprint tri late summer. I'm just mixing it up because I like to bike and now run. Now when I drop off my sons at Kumon I have 15-20 minutes to spare. Putting & chipping around the golf green got old so I'm hitting the YMCA with an indoor pool nearby.

Caravaggio

I had my long run yesterday. Another beautiful day for a run. The run was as long as I wanted it to be but since I was not running for most of March and therefore missed long runs, sticking to my training plan will likely mean my legs will be too tired at the race (in 2 weeks) and probably injury before the race. 

I also tried Vespa sports drink. The guy at the sports shop told me that he usually just takes 1 small packet (5 grams carbs, to the low carb runners) for a 20 km run. So, I don't have to carry a heavy bottle with me during the race, I don't have to stop by the race's sports drink station and be forced to drink (and train on) a sports drink I may not like, or if I carry it with me, it's light.  I don't like the taste of the Vespa supplement, but the sports drink did not taste that bad. I don't know if it's the sports drink or my legs were in a good mood yesterday but I thought I did quite well on my run. 

Caravaggio

Had my regular morning run. It was so humid and muggy this morning. Yesterday (until past midnight) was pouring with rain. Usually, we have a pleasant after-rain morning the following day but there was no wind today and still plenty of cloud cover. I am not looking forward to summer, which is usually humid in Japan. Give me wind!

Nonetheless, I thought my run went well. I was able to maintain an increased feet turnover which was my goal today and for the next couple of weeks.

rfrankr

Ok I have 2 weeks and a day until my 5k mudrun! I have 3 or 4 miles on the treadmill and a 4.5 mile walk so far this week. I better step it up! I think a knee friendly version of my local 6 mile trail run is needed this Sunday and next.

Caravaggio

Ok I have 2 weeks and a day until my 5k mudrun! I have 3 or 4 miles on the treadmill and a 4.5 mile walk so far this week. I better step it up! I think a knee friendly version of my local 6 mile trail run is needed this Sunday and next.

I have only 1 week and a day until my half marathon. Good luck to both of us, and to everyone out there who will be in a race within the coming weeks. 

I'm still looking for a mud run I can participate in. Where will your mud run be held? Full report please :)

rfrankr

It'll be at the San Bernardino (CA) sheriff's dept training facility. Hopefully there wont be a bunch of cops there yelling at me for going too slow! LOL. Google SBSD mudrun

rfrankr

I'm thinking about doing 10 or 12 miles Saturday or Sunday. My goal is to do it in 3 hours but we'll see how it goes. It was about 90 or so today. I'm planning on starting out at 6 or 7am. My question is what to bring to drink and how much?

Caravaggio

I'm thinking about doing 10 or 12 miles Saturday or Sunday. My goal is to do it in 3 hours but we'll see how it goes. It was about 90 or so today. I'm planning on starting out at 6 or 7am. My question is what to bring to drink and how much?

I wish I can help with the drinks. Where I run, there are public water fountains and vending machines that sell water, coffee, and sports drinks, among others. Hence I do not take drinks with me. On a fairly hot day and if I intend to be out for a while, I have electrolytes with me. I sweat out all the salt and electrolytes from my body. 

Caravaggio

I did a 1.5 hour run this morning. A beautiful warm spring day. I headed out later than usual close to the starting time of my race next week. I wore a long-sleeved shirt and short running shorts. If the temperature during the race next week is close to today's, I'll be running in a tank top. The race will be in the mountains north of Tokyo, so it may be slightly cooler. Note to self: Take a short-sleeved shirt and a tank top to the race next week.

It's also the second time I tried VESPA's sports drink, this time in the middle of the run. No stomach discomfort and I think I've mastered sipping the drink from the packet without spilling too much of it onto the cyclist who biked too close to me. 

To those planning their first long race, it's good to try your drinks during a long training run so you know how your stomach will handle it, how you tear open the packet without spilling the contents all over the place, and how to drink it while running. 

Enjoy your weekend.

post-12306-0-10144400-1399094202_thumb.jpg

I took this this morning and posted this on other sites.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.