Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

rfrankr

Ok I did my 12 mile walk/run. 2hrs 45mins. A lotta walking in the second half. This gives me just a smidge under 20 miles for the week. That's kind of what motivated me to do this today.

2 weeks til my mudrun. I think everybody's bailing out on the mudrun so it looks like I'll be doing it solo.

graham44

I'm thinking about doing 10 or 12 miles Saturday or Sunday. My goal is to do it in 3 hours but we'll see how it goes. It was about 90 or so today. I'm planning on starting out at 6 or 7am. My question is what to bring to drink and how much?

Hey rfrank. I ran into this a few years ago. I was training for a marathon and did a 20 mile run on a humid august day,I lost 11lbs of water weight...thats not good. I went out and bought one of these "camel back" hydration packs...its an awesome/easy way to carry water.

Like caravaggio said...train with what you plan on using in the "race" to make sure ypour stomach can handle it...many long distance events can become sprints from one porti-pottie to the next if your stomach revolts. I personally drink water, and if its an event thats going to take several hours I bring salt/electrolyte pills. I have serious cramping problems and thesalt pills really help. 

Caravaggio

A few more days before the half-marathon on Sunday. I had a slow training today and another one tomorrow or Friday. I'm contemplating whether I will do a long walk Saturday morning.

I'm also planning to carry an iPod with me. Except for my first marathon, I do not race with music on. In fact, during my first marathon I did not listen to music the whole way because the sound of the spectators cheering is so much more invigorating and is so much part of the experience. But I may need music this Sunday (if the crowd is small or is not dispersed along the entire route), or not. Anyway, I'll be loading my iPhone with Devo and Gorillaz music, just in case.

Caravaggio

Last training run before the race on Sunday. So far so good.

I just realized that the Japanese inn where I'll be staying will have sumptuous breakfast. I must steel myself from eating everything on sight and be religious in visiting the throne (sorry, may be too much info for some of you). Otherwise, I may just be stuck in a portie pottie during the run. At least breakfast starts early so I can buy myself some time to digest the food.

Caravaggio

I completed the half-marathon last Sunday. I was much slower than what I had hoped for, but I finished. The course was around a river (turned into a dam) in the mountains north of Tokyo. The mountainside was beautiful, and there were still sakura trees in the area.

I listened to music (I loaded only 3 bands on my iPod). Devo = fast running, The Kinks = slow down but still running, Era = speed walking. One thing that definitely kept me going was this 90-year old runner.

I'm signing up for a 15-km run around Tokyo's Imperial Palace in September, and a half-marathon close to where I live in November.

Caravaggio

No running this morning. Just brisk walking. My legs felt tired so I erred on the side of caution and decided to rest them for a couple of more days before running again.

I found a website called Strength Running run (pun intended) by a guy called Jason Fitzgerald. I've signed up to receive email articles. So far the articles I've read sound logical, kinda common sense actually, and do not seem to go over the extreme side of things. Anyway, I find his youtube clips helpful too (and they're short). Yes, he's selling a book and coaching services, but the free stuff looks interesting and helpful.

rfrankr

I completed the half-marathon last Sunday..

Hey great job on your half. After my 12 mile stint the other weekend, I think I'll stick to the short stuff. At least for some time. I did about 5k worth or sprints/walks on tuesday night just to make sure my legs don't get tight for my mudrun on Saturday. My hip was a bit sore afterwards so no more running til Saturday. Maybe I'll hit the gym tonight depending on what's going on tonight.

I'll have to check out that site you found.

rfrankr

Finished my 5k mudrun in 1:08. It was great! 8th place in my group I think. Exhausted! I forgot to eat my bread about 15 mins before the race so I think I was dropping low in the middle. Felt like I was going to throw up. Oh well, I'll be better prepared next time. Time to start planning the next one.

Caravaggio

Finished my 5k mudrun in 1:08. It was great! 8th place in my group I think. Exhausted! I forgot to eat my bread about 15 mins before the race so I think I was dropping low in the middle. Felt like I was going to throw up. Oh well, I'll be better prepared next time. Time to start planning the next one.

That's great! I haven't done a mud run, hence that's on my bucket list. I think a mud run has started in Japan, so this is a good prompt for me to look into it. When will your next one be?

Today, I decided to brisk walk instead of running as I initially planned. I'm not rushing into any training, so I thought that I should give my legs additional time to rest and recover. My next run will be next week.

rfrankr

I'm trying to switch jobs right now so I'm not sure what my schedule will be. Once I figure out what days I'll have off, I'll find a run or mudrun to do. I figure a couple months. Have you planned your next race?

Caravaggio

There's no need to be in a race. Take care of your job (or new job) first. But running, as you probably know by now, is a good way to release stress.

As for me, I've signed up for a half-marathon in November. This time the venue is close to where I live. I may join a shorter race before that (just to get me really moving in summer).

Caravaggio

Back to running this morning. Since I'm not officially training for my next race, and I've just come back from one (I feel that I'm still recovering), I did not check my pace on my watch but simply ran based on feel. My watch was still recording the run, I just wasn't looking at the pace and lap times. 

It feels great not to train all the time, not to worry about speed, not to compete with a previous run, and to just run for the heck of it.

Caravaggio

I managed a 5 K run this morning. It's getting hotter and hotter everyday. Soon, I'd have to go out much earlier to avoid the heat.

I think I'm sticking to 5 K short runs for a few weeks, and work on various aspects of running within the 5 K runs. Gotta start doing hills again and speed, and I have to work on increasing turnover of running steps. These should keep my short runs interesting. Weekends will still be for long runs at a leisurely pace.

Caravaggio

How many steps one takes in 1 minute. From what I've read, it's between 170 and 190. It's based on a study of marathoners. I've read about it recently, and from recent runs, I'm kinda slow. I'm slowly building up my steps. But it's not just about speed but also how far your foot falls in front of your body when you run. Apparently, the ideal range keeps you from stretching your legs out too much in front of your body or not lifting your legs high enough. I'm not the type to measure how far my step lands in front of my torso, and I it seems I don't have to worry about it too much if I'm able to keep my turnover within the 170-190 range.

Caravaggio

I don't have wide strides. My problem is that my feet tend to stay longer on the ground. So, I have to pick up my feet faster as soon as they land in order to increase my turnover, and increase my speed.

Caravaggio

Seven km on Saturday. That's not much but I was not feeling prepped to do a much longer run. 

My BGs the whole day yesterday and today were amazingly low, so much so that I began to doubt the accuracy of my BG meter. One thing about running is that it affords me there chance to eat more carbs than usual without raising my BG. Yesterday and today are no different. 

Caravaggio

Yesterday morning I did my regualr 5 km run. It rained for hours before I went out. Normally, it would be cool and lovely after the rain, but yesterday it was slightly muggy than the previous days. Give me dry heat any time!

Caravaggio

Finished 8 km this morning. It's really getting hot out there. This morning felt like a mid-July or August morning. 

I finally gave in to listening to iPod while running. I needed distraction not just from the heat but from "training" which I tend to do on most runs. I was listening to the audiobook Packing for Mars about the realities and unglamorous aspects of being an astronaut. So far I'm enjoying it.

rfrankr

I did about 14k this week including an 8k trail run. That was Friday and I had a day rest today. So I think I'll do the same 8k run tomorrow. I only listen to music with one ear on the trail. There's rattle snakes in them hills and I want to be sure I hear them!

Packing for Mars sounds cool. I listen to science podcasts out there sometimes.

Caravaggio

Did the 8k run today and beat my time by 1 minute! Not much but better than 1 min slower

If it's hot where you are, that 1 minute shows a lot of good effort! :)

Caravaggio

Another 5 K this morning. A rather slow one overall as I tried to ran more slopes and added a couple of flight of stairs - my legs and butt really felt the efforts. That said, the stairs were fun. Like what I used to do as a kid.

rfrankr

I haven't done anything since Saturday or Sunday. New job, new schedule has me all goofed up. Now everything's all tight. I'll head out tomorrow morning for my weekly trail run.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.