Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

Caravaggio

I did 9 km today. Thankfully the rain stopped. It's been raining since Thursday (thankfully, last Thursday i went out for  a run before the rain descended big time). Sunset running is just amazing.

post-12306-0-30089000-1402239518_thumb.jpg

Caravaggio

Short 3 km run this morning as I overslept. I took the opportunity to do pick up speed to make up for the shorter distance. 

The good thing was that it stopped raining this morning. Last night (at least until around 1 am) it was a major downpour. The humidity, absence of wind and higher temperature though were not good. But despite the higher temperature, the female runners and walkers I bumped into were wearing long sleeves (some with a short sleeved shirt on top of long sleeved compression shirts) and long compression pants or sweat pants. For each one of them that I saw, I thought how hot she must have been inside the clothes.

Caravaggio

I had a 10K run. There was a breeze along my route. But it was incredibly hot. It did not help that I woke up late and so got out late, had a hangover, and forgot to take any supplements or drink lots of water before heading out. It was just 10K, but my post-run BG was 169! It did go down fairly quickly, and 2 hours after running and brunch (with fruits), BG was 87.

Now, I'm indoors where I'm out of the blazing sun and sipping a cold drink. 

Caravaggio

Good job. Does your BG always rise on runs like that?

Not always. I think it's the combination of things that day. At least in the last 2 years, even with summer heat, my BGs don't go up that high - I made sure I rested well the night before, I was well hydrated, I had electrolytes or sports drinks.

I used to have consistently high BGs on short runs since I used to always run as fast as I can and had a snack before short runs. These days, I don't snack before short runs. If I do speed training, I make sure I warm up and cool down. I don't know how much my BGs rise during a speed training - I do not test mid-run just to check if, and how high, my BG rises. Years ago, I learned to run at a lower heart rate, which generally minimized my BG rise and slowed me down (then I learned to run faster while maintaining lower heart rate). Of course if I train for a race, I'd have to increase my speed but I no longer "race" every run. These days, my BGs rise but to a manageable number. In any case, I'm not worried as long as the number starts going down after I stop, which it invariably does.

I did a 5 k this morning. It was a drag. I wonder if my endoscopy yesterday had anything to do with my sluggishness this morning.

Caravaggio

Another 5 km, which included a short incline, this morning. My legs did not appreciate running up an incline even if it was a short one. But I'm sure when we encounter a bridge in next year's marathon, they will be happy we do hill training.

Our office may be forming a team for Oxfarm's Trailwalker next year. The race is a fundraiser and requires a team of 4 people to walk or run, or both, 100 km in 48 hours. The 4 team members must cross the finish line together.

How does anyone train for 100 km of mostly trail? I gotta start looking for trail runners I can ask and training programs.

Caravaggio

Yesterday, I went out for a run. I set my watch to 40 minutes one way, then run back. I forgot to check the distance. But 1 hour 20 minutes must have taken me some distance because I ran past my usual landmarks. After the run, hubby and I went to an afternoon BBQ and managed to dance for a while. Not too bad for a day.

Today, I rested most of the day.

Tomorrow, I visit the doctor for my quarterly A1c test.  

gdawginhtown

Howdy, checking back in.

I'm still training for an Olympic triathlon in early September which will include a 10k run. I've been mainly training for the open water swim, 1.5k, but still get in adequate bike & run sessions. Last weekend I did my weekly long run at event distance and did it at 52 minutes. I will try to get it down to 45 minutes with over 2 months left. I've registered for the Houston marathon and it was processed this AM. 26.2 miles! This will be a nice accomplishment. I have sprinkled a few 1/2 marathons distance long runs this month and will be fully training for the full marathon after the triathlon event so I have 4 months to prepare. I guess I've been technically preparing with all of the running I've been doing. My original goal for the marathon was 5 hours; I've reassessed and have shrunk the time to sub 4 hours. Hopefully I'm not chewing off too much. I will be looking up some training schedules and will be looking for advice. My trip to the Gold Coast in Australia got cancelled so I won't be running on that beach for another year. I will be in Chicago and Singapore for all of July so I will get some new scenic runs while I'm there. Jogging along Lake Michigan & Millennium Park doesn't sound bad.

Keep on run y'all and have a great day!

rfrankr

Hiked/walked/ran 7.8k this morning. Beat my ave pace by a couple seconds. Not sure how. This was the first time I did this in a couple weeks and my knees were giving out. Kind of have my new work schedule figured out so I plan on doing my 3.2k hike/run tomorrow morning and the next few mornings.

rfrankr

Work's been tough lately and I need my sleep so I haven't ran in the mornings like I said I would. But I did do a lunch time run today. Ran about 2.4k and walk/sprint about 8/10k. It was a warm booger out there. I was sweating like a dog.

I would say I'm going to run 5-8k tomorrow but my track record has been poor lately so I'll just say I'll try. No trails, just flat ground.

rfrankr

4.4k today. No trails just flat-ish streets. There really aren't any long stretches that are flat around here. So flat-ish is as good as it gets. I wish I could get on UCR's (college) track and give a cushy flat track a try.

Caravaggio

Saturday - short run in the rain. Running in the rain is a lot of fun. I love it.

Sunday - longer run in the sun! It was so hot and there was no cloud cover. By the time cloud cover came and the rain finally took over, I was already done! 

I need to do a rain dance before heading out. Anyone knows of an effective rain dance routine?

Caravaggio

Another short run this morning. Thank God it was not that hot. I'm still not running by pace but by feel. This is my last week of maintaining my running base before starting half-marathon training next week.

Caravaggio

I need to sleep - but Wimbledon's final is keeping me awake. Anyway, I now just remember that I haven't posted today's (Sunday's) longish run. The weather was great - not to hot, windy and dry. Couldn't have asked for anything more. 

Next week I start my half-marathon training for a November half-marathon.

rfrankr

I got up early-ish on my day off and got in 5k before it got too hot. I had an English muffin prerun for fuel but now it seems like the gift that keeps on giving. Maybe 1/2 a muffin next time.

rfrankr

Ran 4.2k. Ran faster than usual. Felt good. Did do walk/runs on the 2nd half but still managed low 10/mile time.. time for a shower and bed. Good night all

Caravaggio

I got up early-ish on my day off and got in 5k before it got too hot. I had an English muffin prerun for fuel but now it seems like the gift that keeps on giving. Maybe 1/2 a muffin next time.

Try not having a muffin for a 5K run. First, I think you run before you are able to avail of the energy from the muffin (I don't think it quickly turns to BG to give you enough energy). Second, I think the 5K run is too short to need a muffin. But as each runner's fuel needs differ and you may need to fuel up, try yogurt or sports drinks which do not have a lot of sugar. 

Summer heat is debilitating. Don't forget to drink water and replenish lost electrolytes.

rfrankr

Well if I can drag my lazy butt out of bed early enough tomorrow morning before it gets hot, I should try a 5-8k run with no food just to see what happens. Bring my meter just in case. Altho that's excess weight. ;-)

lifl2003

Hi. Im Mike . I am an avid runner who has run three marathons and a load of half's.

My PR is 3:46 whihc I set this past may at the Long Island Marathon.

The next month I was diagnosed with Type 1 (LADA) as a heaty 44 year old with no illness or family history.

I was planning on running the 2014 Hartford Marathon this fall but I will opt for a half inseatd as I get used to my new way of life.

I will run a full next year!

Caravaggio

I've had a couple short but fast runs this week. I had no energy last week so I took a break from running. Now, I'm back running again.

I've postponed the start of my half-marathon training (to August) as I've decided to give low carb (actually, it's probably very low carb for me as it'll be no more than 50 grams of carbs) and see if it will work the second time around (I'm more prepared this time). That explains my lack of energy last week, and my massive headache early this week. But I seem to have regained some energy back. Let's see how I do on a longer run this weekend.

Lifl2003, I hope you can adjust well. Luckily for Type 1 athletes, there are loads of resources for you. I would agree that a half marathon would be for learning, testing and experimenting.

Caravaggio

Last weekend, I had a 10 K run. It was late in the afternoon to avoid the heat but I still had difficulty running. Today I survived a 5 K run during a muggy morning.

Not much energy. I don't know if this is due to the heat, or to this low carb thing I talked myself into doing again, or both.

Now, if only my headache today would go away.

Caravaggio

Short run this morning. Can't manage more than 5 K. I had no energy. But at least I have no headache today.

Caravaggio

My 5 K run this morning was so much better. It's not as hot as last weekend, but more or less similar to last Friday's temperature.

I have a little more energy now. About time, too. I've been on up to 50 grams carbs for about 3 weeks now. I have to start my half-marathon training by next week, and I can't further postpone my training. Let's see. Maybe my body is just taking its time to adjust. Anyway, I am hopeful since I'm more prepared to go low carb this time around than I was a few years ago. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.