Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

Caravaggio

Had an okay weekend run. My BG was bloody high, probably due to the heat. Or maybe I need to eat something before the long run? I'll try another long run this weekend without food (just electrolytes) and see how that goes. Then, next long run, with light food (yogurt, maybe) before running - which means I have to cut carbs post-run somewhere.

My half-marathon training starts this week.

Caravaggio

Over 180, immediately after the run, but it dropped very quickly (to around 110) within 1 hour (even though I had breakfast). That number though I find is way too high.

My BG usually goes up when I run but how much depends on many things. The heat I'm sure contributes to the much higher number (I recently had a high number after a long run on another very hot day). What I don't know is whether going on a long run without eating anything before hand contributes to it as well, so I'll try to isolate the factor. But even then, I may not know what exactly contributes to my BG rises during running. 

Caravaggio

What about short runs...5k....does BG go up on those too?

It depends on how hard I run. The harder I run, the higher it goes up - usually. But I've had several experiences when my BG hardly budged at all.

I'll be going over my logs to see if I can isolate the factors. I haven't been paying attention to the factors that raise my BG because (1) I take it as a given, (2) the rise is often not too high and (3) the rise, even high ones, usually does not last long.

rfrankr

7.3k trail hike/run/walk. Legs kind of gave out on last third. I fueled with a piece of pizza about a 1/2 hr before hitting the trail and it minimized my BG plunge at the 45 min mark (72) and only peaked at 116 after I was done. I wonder if a glass of juice would come on then go away quicker

gdawginhtown

Uggh... Got me a case of ITB while in Chicago thanks to walking 14 miles the previous 2 days and not stretching prior to my run. I had to shut it down a week until Singapore. I stretch prior to my next run but it flared back up after 2 miles. I've been stretching 3 times a day and foam rolling. It's been 3 weeks but I'm back to moderate speeds for 3-4 miles with no flare ups. Hopefully this keeps up. A1C has dropped from 7.5 to 6.1 and weight from 188 to 157 since February of this year. Health is definitely in the right direction. I have another intense week of training before tapering down for the triathlon event on Sept-01.

Caravaggio

I would suggest stretching after or in the middle of the run, not before (unless you warm up some other way, such as walking before hand, doing lunges or jumping in place). There are no clear researches supporting the advantages of stretching before running, but there seems to be support for possible injury if one stretches before running as the muscles are still cold. 

Good luck in dealing with ITB and on your triathlon. 

Caravaggio

Last week I started my half marathon training. Generally still struggling with the low carb although it's no longer as bad as the first 2-3 weeks of low carbing.  

gdawginhtown

I would suggest stretching after or in the middle of the run, not before (unless you warm up some other way, such as walking before hand, doing lunges or jumping in place). There are no clear researches supporting the advantages of stretching before running, but there seems to be support for possible injury if one stretches before running as the muscles are still cold. 

Good luck in dealing with ITB and on your triathlon.

Thanks.

I usually walk for a mile before stretching then I start my run then stretch afterwards. I stretch through out the day then once again at night with the foam roller. Call me elastic man.

Caravaggio

I've completed week 2 of half-marathon training. This week is week 3.

My legs still feel like lead. My energy level has not improved from general blah level. At least, it's not as bad as the first week of dropping carb intake to 50 grams a day. That was bad. Headaches and no energy to run at all. Things have improved but I'm still generally struggling with my runs even on a cooler day or cooler time of day.

One thing I've noticed though is that my running related BGs are higher especially for longer weekend runs. One thing I'm doing differently for weekend runs is not eat anything before running, to train the body to run on fat. So far, I can't find the energy and my BG rises are higher. This weekend, I'll eat something before running and see how it goes. Eggs, maybe.  

Another good thing. I've lost 1 kilo since I started this a few weeks ago.

Caravaggio

Long run Saturday was much better than before. But I also realized that my carb intake the day before was over 50 grams. Anyway, I'm going to see this experiment through to November 1, so back to 50 grams carbs a day.

Caravaggio

I had to tweak my training plan to accommodate the lack of energy and resulting inability to keep my training program. Close to 2 months to go before the half-marathon. Hence, I think I can still meet my race goal (of finishing within the allotted time) without getting injured.

Fellow runners, how have you all been doing lately?

rfrankr

I've been slacking. No long runs lately. I've resorted to a few gym days and doing speed work up the hill I live on. 10-15 seconds hard × 5. 3 or 4 nights a week.

Caravaggio

rfrankr, hill runs will only strengthen your legs. I like running up but hate running down. My knees complain every time I run fast downhill.

Deborah233

I recently ran a 5k and I would say the best method would be to get a good speed at the start and carry that in until you can no longer do so, then drop down the speed but if you then feel you can go faster go for it , it's all try and error. Stopping while in the run will not help, you need to keep your legs moving otherwise you will find it harder to run.

rfrankr

I signed up for the OLDlympics! It's for the 50 and older crowd. I'll be doing 50,100 and 200 meter dashes. And a 1500 and 3k runs. I have 2 weeks to loosen up my legs. I have a 150 or so meter slight uphill spot to practice on and my steep street for the shorter sprints. I'll have to get in a couple mile or two runs in too in the coming weeks. Should I stop everything a day or two just prior to the races to let my legs rest?

Caravaggio

I recently ran a 5k and I would say the best method would be to get a good speed at the start and carry that in until you can no longer do so, then drop down the speed but if you then feel you can go faster go for it , it's all try and error. Stopping while in the run will not help, you need to keep your legs moving otherwise you will find it harder to run.

This depends on the distance, the training program (and more importantly, how closely you followed it) and other factors. Yes, completely stopping is not good, not just for speed but for your body as well, but for many people especially those doing longer distances like half-marathons, marathons and even longer, taking regular short walking breaks help them finish, even in good time.

I signed up for the OLDlympics! It's for the 50 and older crowd. I'll be doing 50,100 and 200 meter dashes. And a 1500 and 3k runs. I have 2 weeks to loosen up my legs. I have a 150 or so meter slight uphill spot to practice on and my steep street for the shorter sprints. I'll have to get in a couple mile or two runs in too in the coming weeks. Should I stop everything a day or two just prior to the races to let my legs rest?

Good luck!

As for me, I just came back from Malta and the UK. Running along the water front in Sliema and Valetta in Malta was lovely. It was warm but not humid, with slight breeze from the sea. I loved running by the marinas. The Mediterranean Sea had all shades of torquoise. Malta was also a great place for hill runs because away from the water and the marinas, the streets are uphill!

I then spent a few days in London on my way back. London was chilly but in a refreshing way. We stayed at Canary Wharf and the morning runs were beautiful, especially when the sun broke through the clouds, and quiet. The chilly autumn morning air woke me up every time I went out. Plenty of spaces for me to run. I found Canary Wharf, especially on the weekends, quiet. Even Friday and Monday mornings were not as crowded as I expected. And, the pavements (sidewalks) were not all of cobblestones or big hard stones so my knees did not suffer. My only big issue was the smokers outside the buildings. They can be found smoking while drinking coffee, checking their smartphones or reading the paper, in every nook and cranny outside buildings. I found a number who were smoking right beside bins, with their coffee cups and morning bread placed on top of the bins.

Caravaggio

Wow that sounds like a fun time. How has your VLC training been going?

I've stopped doing ketogenic/VLC. After 2 months of almost no energy, I figured that it wasn't for me. I'll be sticking to low carb of over 50 grams a day but try not to go over 70 grams (a completely arbitrary number). So far, it seemed to work as I got my energy back after I increased my carbs. I get the feeling that at least for me, it may not be the number of carbs per se but the source of carbs. I got out of ketosis by eating fruits to increase my carbs. BGs were good. I'm confident that I can be energy efficient at 70 grams a day. 

I was on vacation for the past 10 or so days. While I have been a bit more loose on my diet during the vacation, I'm back on track. To be honest, I don't think I would have enjoyed my holiday had I still been on a very low ketogenic diet. 

To those who want to try VLC or even a ketogenic diet, don't let my experience discourage you. I encourage people to try VLC and ketogenic. It may or may not work for you but you won't know until you try it. I think that although it may not work for you, going through it for a short time, even if you increase your carb intake again, may help you reduce your overall carb intake. Really, try it.  

rfrankr

Ok so I sucked at the first race(50M). But I found my pace in the 1500m and the 3k. I think I actually had a little kick at the end of both. The 100m dash felt great. I don't know who decided to call the 200m a dash. Certainly not me. Now I wish I had signed up for the 400m and 800m. Oh well..next year.

rfrankr

I've stopped doing ketogenic/VLC. After 2 months of almost no energy, I figured that it wasn't for me. I'll be sticking to low carb of over 50 grams a day but try not to go over 70 grams (a completely arbitrary number). So far, it seemed to work as I got my energy back after I increased my carbs. I get the feeling that at least for me, it may not be the number of carbs per se but the source of carbs. I got out of ketosis by eating fruits to increase my carbs. BGs were good. I'm confident that I can be energy efficient at 70 grams a day.

Just kind of curious...about how many calories do you think you eat a day?

Caravaggio

I'm doing a half-marathon on Nov 1, then a full marathon in mid-March next year!

I've been having some issues with my shins, though I don't think I have shin splints.

I got my long run in last Saturday before the typhoon hit Japan. The weather yesterday and this morning was awful. It rained so hard you can't see the tip of your nose. Train operations were affected. It took me more than 2x as long to get to the office. But that's to be expected. The funny thing was that as my train was finally on the way, the sun came out. It's now completely dry outside.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.