Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2014 Running

rfrankr

So how long is your long run?

For the past 2 weeks I've been running 2 days then 1 day off. 4k each time. Usually with a few short walks on the way back. Tonight I actually had no walks. I've had the pace notification on my running app turned off and I've slowed down. I assume you don't have little walks in your runs, huh. Lol

Caravaggio

No, I'm far from ready. I had an issue at the beginning of my training program, and had to tweak it to catch up, then my shins are giving me some issues. But I think I'll be healthy enough to do the half-marathon (if not, I'll just show up to volunteer). 

The long run changes every week and is not necessarily linear (I cut back after 3 weeks of increasing the distance).  I have short walks sometimes (like when I'm tired), and also when I'm doing speed training - I have to walk between short fast bursts so my legs and lungs can recover.

rfrankr

I was listening to a running podcast that said to run down the uphills. Said to just look a meter or 2 ahead and imagine your going down hill. It kinda works. Along with slowing down.

Caravaggio

Run down the uphills?  The image that came to mind was you running uphill backwards.  :D

I like running uphill but hate downhill. I know, I'm strange. But my knees hate running downhill. 

Had my long run today. Great weather. I ran into a local high school running event (I think it was a relay event) held along a portion of my route. Those kids were fast, extremely fast! Regular runners were not barred from running along side them but I decided to run on the grass. I think I was too embarrassed to be that slow compared to the young ones. 

rfrankr

I wasn't gonna go for a run today...but man, them cops came out o' nowhere! :blink:

That's why you gotta run every day. Your freedom might depend on it.

Caravaggio

I just registered for my first 10k. I have 4 weeks to increase my 4.5k to 10k.

I hope you have a good training program. 

rfrankr

Ummm, not really. I think I'll continue running 2 days and rest one and try to increase a mile a week. I have 2 goals. Run the whole way and do it in less than an hour. I'm kind of flexible on both. Although no walking would really be nice.

Caravaggio

So Caravaggio, what are you planning on eating/drinking during your half?

During - 1 small packet of Vespa and electrolytes. Based on my half marathon last spring and recent long runs, it seems that I don't need to eat carbs during a half marathon. But since I haven't run 21 K since I started low carbing last summer, I plan to carry cut orange with me just in case I need the energy. 

For breakfast on race day, I'm planning to have some yogurt. 

rfrankr

Legs feel great today. Ran almost 10k yesterday. Well ok, I ran 5k twice. Walked some on the 2nd one. First one was in the day. It's hot in the day. I hope things cool down by race day. So since I've done three 5k runs in 2 days I think today's gonna be a rest day. Unless I get bored tonight.

rfrankr

I was going to make it a rest day but an hour after that yummy burrito my bg was 145 so I figured it's time to hit the streets. Got home....91. Although that burrito will probably be a gift that keeps on giving.

Caravaggio

When I'm bored, I sleep :sleep: . 

rfrankr - I hope you have run around the time of your race so you have some idea of the pre-race preps you need to make and possible temperature on race day. I used to run in the late afternoon or evening and found it difficult to feel energized for morning races.

rfrankr

I work in the day so almost all my running is at night. And so far my morning/day running hasn't been too successful. But what can you do, eh? I'll try to do a long (for me) run this and the following Sundays and see how it goes. I'm just hoping it'll cool down by race day.

GrammaBear

My younger son, who isn't diabetic, has just taken up running in an effort to keep himself more healthy.  He has expressed an interest in finding something that will hold both his phone and his ipod.  Could someone recommend such a product?  Thank you in advance on his behalf.

GrammaBear

I just stick mine in my pocket

I suggested that to him and he mentioned that some of the pockets in his clothing are not very 'deep'.  He is concerned that his phone would fall onto the pavement  :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.